Android 2.2 Development

Guest eckengucker1

Guest Simon O
Just wondering....what happens if you install a2sd, and after that, in the setting menu unmount the SD card. I'm not sure if that thing unmounts the ext2 partition.

It unmounts the fat partition only.

Guest Simon O
Note: Only traditional a2sd was working not the Froyo version, so as flibblesan stated you can't install some apps that require SD installation

I found a bad work around for installing Froyo apps that want to install to the SD. Unmount the SD card from the settings app, then install the app. Once installed mount the SD again.

If you are using Darktremor A2SD then it'll move the installed app to the ext2 partition on the SD as normal. If you're not using A2SD then it will have been installed to the /data partition.

Guest MikeRame
I found a bad work around for installing Froyo apps that want to install to the SD. Unmount the SD card from the settings app, then install the app. Once installed mount the SD again.

If you are using Darktremor A2SD then it'll move the installed app to the ext2 partition on the SD as normal. If you're not using A2SD then it will have been installed to the /data partition.

That's what I meant :P

Guest igor_anta

Well that's a valid workaround till the fix is available, seeing that we had to repair ext every time we restarted the phone for apps2sd on the 1.5 MCR this seems like nothing, even more so that extended controls and the like have the option in a widget :)

So now that apparently you have the most stable build what bugs remain? If the camera is the only thing I guess that e beta is due? Hmmm? :(

Cheers!

EDIT: Oh, and if JIT is working, no fun without the speed JIT provides :P

Edited by igor_anta

Guest Simon O
So now that apparently you have the most stable build what bugs remain? If the camera is the only thing I guess that e beta is due? Hmmm? :)

I'm going to wait for Tom G to release a non-engineering build of Froyo first :P

Guest igor_anta
I'm going to wait for Tom G to release a non-engineering build of Froyo first :P

Noooooooo :)

Nah, got used to waiting already, shouldn't be difficult. But I never understood what's the difference if it's an engineering build, test keys, fingerprints? Cheers!

Guest Simon O
Noooooooo :P

Nah, got used to waiting already, shouldn't be difficult. But I never understood what's the difference if it's an engineering build, test keys, fingerprints? Cheers!

Well I would assume that in a engineering/dev build it would be build with debugging information. Tom?

I'm surprised a few people are reporting that rotation freezes the phone. I've had absolutely no issues. It could be a kernel issue (I'm running a newer kernel on Froyo)

If you want to try the UK kernel then download this and flash it through recovery. It'll replace the wifi binaries to newer versions which work with the UK kernel.

The boot.img has a couple of changes from the one Tom used. It will boot Android with loglevel 3 instead of 8, and will give you the graphical Android logo instead of the text based one. It's mostly the same but the layout has been tidied up a bit.

Tom, feel free to use this in any updates.

I'm using the old kernel and haven't had any problems. Rotation works better for me than it has on any other rom (including better than the X10).

The boot.img is built by the build process, so changing the kernel in the build is as simple as replacing the zImage.

Well I would assume that in a engineering/dev build it would be build with debugging information. Tom?

The engineering builds are built with some extra programs (strace etc) and things like root and adb enabled by default. The debugging options are all things I have turned on. Changing the loglevel should reduce some of it, but you would probably still get all of the other bits like linker, wpa_supp, vold etc debug messages which are enabled with flags in the make files and source.

Edited by Tom G

Guest Simon O
I'm using the old kernel and haven't had any problems. Rotation works better for me than it has on any other rom (including better than the X10).

The boot.img is built by the build process, so changing the kernel in the build is as simple as replacing the zImage.

The problem could well be caused by myself as the 'hw' files I uploaded are from the UK 2.1 ROM so they may not work well with the older HU kernel. I'm only using the UK kernel as it's non-beta/

The engineering builds are built with some extra programs (strace etc) and things like root and adb enabled by default. The debugging options are all things I have turned on. Changing the loglevel should reduce some of it, but you would probably still get all of the other bits like linker, wpa_supp, vold etc debug messages which are enabled with flags in the make files and source.

Changing the log level to 3 seems to make things perform slightly better, I assume due to less logs being created. But I still get the useful stuff in ddms.

Eh, this is an odd question, but does anyone have a compiled mkbootimg.exe they could upload for me?

Otherwise I'll just have to crack out the VM...

Edited by Josh04

Guest flip360

i lost my rotation settings again in the same time frame as before, after a day or two, whats up? i am using flibblesan`s sensors and UK kernel

Edited by flip360

Guest Simon O
i lost my rotation settings again in the same time frame as before, after a day or two, whats up? i am using flibblesan`s sensors and UK kernel

Do you have the Android SDK installed? If you do could you connect your phone up and run DDMS. Try to rotate the phone and check the logs. You should get an error if rotation has failed.

On my phone rotation works so I see the following in the logs.

Phone rotated to landscape:

09-07 14:04:40.507: INFO/WindowManager(1263): Setting rotation to 1, animFlags=0

09-07 14:04:40.515: INFO/ActivityManager(1263): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=234/30 loc=en_GB touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=3/1 orien=2 layout=18 uiMode=17 seq=14}

09-07 14:04:40.635: INFO/UsageStats(1263): Unexpected resume of com.android.settings while already resumed in com.android.settings

Phone rotated back to portrait:

09-07 14:04:44.945: INFO/WindowManager(1263): Setting rotation to 0, animFlags=0

09-07 14:04:44.945: INFO/ActivityManager(1263): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=234/30 loc=en_GB touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=3/1 orien=1 layout=18 uiMode=17 seq=15}

09-07 14:04:45.045: INFO/UsageStats(1263): Unexpected resume of com.android.settings while already resumed in com.android.settings

Actually if everyone that has lost rotation could check the logs when trying to rotate the phone and post them here, we can fix it :P

Edited by flibblesan

Guest rulerofkaos

I created a .bat file so I don't have to type all the commands into shell, with this content, after applying android doesn't work, hmm.

adb push c:\DeskClock.apk system/app/DeskClock.apk
adb push c:\vold system/bin/vold

adb shell chmod 6751 /system/bin/netcfg
adb shell chmod 0440 /system/etc/dbus.conf
adb shell chmod 0550 /system/etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/xbin/tcpdump
adb shell chmod 02755 /system/bin/ping
adb shell chmod 1002:1002 /system/etc/dbus.conf
adb shell chown 1014:2000 /system/etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks
adb shell chown 0:0 /system/xbin/tcpdump
adb shell chown 0:3004 /system/bin/ping
[/codebox]

edit: I changed the vold permission to 0755 and now it works.

Edited by rulerofkaos

Guest Simon O
Is the 2.2 fully complete

Not at all. It'll probably need another couple of months at least before it's fully complete and optimized. We only really have one person working on the code and it's a lot of work for one person. Tom G has been working on Froyo for at least 3 months and it's now at the stage where it's probably about 80% feature complete. That's a hell of an achievement for one person.

Guest JohnPorter

Just want to say well done to Tom for what he as achieved and to all who has helped in some way or other, absolutely fantastic job.

Waiting for the first release...

Guest flip360
Tom G has been working on Froyo for at least 3 months and it's now at the stage where it's probably about 80% feature complete. That's a hell of an achievement for one person.

i agree, everyone just have to chill out and wait, or land a help in hand if you got the knowhow.

pbacev, Froyo has been out for just over 3 months and you have been waiting for 5? LOL, imagine no froyo for your pulse at all `cause huawei aint gonna give you one for sure.

Anyway i think WE WILL have a stable release of 2.2 for our phones.

cheers

Edited by flip360

Guest Andy Veliz
Not at all. It'll probably need another couple of months at least before it's fully complete and optimized. We only really have one person working on the code and it's a lot of work for one person. Tom G has been working on Froyo for at least 3 months and it's now at the stage where it's probably about 80% feature complete. That's a hell of an achievement for one person.

Hey guys, i'm a software engeneer from chile, and i have the unfamous u8220-6

i have some experience with linux, mostly theoretical,

i don't have a lot of time, but if someone points me to the right direction, I

can lend you my brain, time and little experience to this project...

just let me know how can I be of some help

Guest igor_anta

So at the moment what are the problems that you have? You don't have the rotation bug, you know the one where it just goes away that a few people reported. So what's left?

Also did someone try to get Paul to help? I mean not undermining any single person working here, wonders have been done till now on this project, but I guess that if someone can swoop in in the last moment and optimize the hell out of this it's Paul :P

Guest Sh4d0w940

Since I probably can't help much with the rom itself and since I've seen much people asking for a flashable zip I created one.

It is not tested so only try this at your own risk!

The fixes I included in this rom are from this post:

rikkiej, 5 Sept.

Here's the link: ONLY USE AT YOUR OWN RISK (had to say that twice :P )

(Temporary) removed

All credits go to Tom G :)

Edit: Added Dropbox Mirror

Sh4d0w940

Edited by Sh4d0w940

Guest MikeRame

Failure at line 142: write_raw_image PACKAGE:userdata.img USERDATA:

Installation aborted.

(the first link is broken btw)

Edited by MikeRame