Android 2.2 Development

Guest eckengucker1

Thinking of making a thread, just don't want to upset Tom, we all want our Froyo to work. Just use fastboot though, it's easier than someone making a .zip for every update.

OK, guess I should try fastboot method, any chance can you point me in the direction of where to start? - theres so many things in this forum and not sure what is now applicable. I am on Ubuntu, FLB1.5, UK 2.1. (hmm...fancy creating a beginners guide to testing froyo thread? :P )

EDIT: OK someone read my mind whilst I was typing! Thanks. I thought it was way more complicated than that! Will use windows in VM.

Edited by thisweb

Guest Holograph
OK, guess I should try fastboot method, any chance can you point me in the direction of where to start? - theres so many things in this forum and not sure what is now applicable. I am on Ubuntu, FLB1.5, UK 2.1. (hmm...fancy creating a beginners guide to testing froyo thread? :P )

EDIT: OK someone read my mind whilst I was typing! Thanks. I thought it was way more complicated than that! Will use windows in VM.

On page 65 someone described how to install via fastboot

Guest Totyasrác

So after all that more and more users start to install Froyo on their Pulses - I really think we SHOULD have a new topic on the experiences (most of them gonna be like "wtf about camera?" and "hey - no data" anyways...)

So I guess someone should open a separate thread immediately... :P

Anyone tried installing official adobe flash for android on froyo yet. I know the pulse is a little underpowered but just wondered if there was any success at all?

Not going to happen, I'm afraid, not compatible with our CPU.

Guest DanWilson
So after all that more and more users start to install Froyo on their Pulses - I really think we SHOULD have a new topic on the experiences (most of them gonna be like "wtf about camera?" and "hey - no data" anyways...)

So I guess someone should open a separate thread immediately... :P

OK

In the process of.

Not going to happen, I'm afraid, not compatible with our CPU.

Really? I saw its working fine on g1 which is similar low spec. (

)

So its not the power but the type of processor then? Theres no fix for this?

I've added panic's awext driver from http://blog.linuxconsulting.ro/2010/04/por...to-android.html to git. It fixes the wifi link speed and signal strength bugs (probably MAC address as well, but I can't figure out how to display it). I was a bit surprised that it worked with no modification (other than manually patching one file and modifying init.rc).

As I said in the instructions, Android doesn't build well in 64-bit environments. Your problem looks like something to do with the build environment (it can't find gcc libraries), what OS are you using? Did you follow the aosp instruction on setting up the environment.

If your using a VM I would recommend using a 32-bit OS (and all of the google documentation is about Ubuntu, so that will be easier).

If your not in a VM, then your stuck with what you've got, or you can run a VM on top of what ever you are running. You could look at a 32-bit chroot setup like I use, but its not the simplest thing to setup.

hi yeah i am trying to setup build environment again but getting this message:

error: Cannot remove project "device/huawei/pulse": uncommitted changes are present

commit changes, then run sync again

so tried running this command:

abort outstanding uncommitted changes

but getting no such command message

am using ubuntu 8.04; i think when i first tried to setup build environment i stared first the pull from git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git then stopped seeing as forgot i read to pull from http://github.com/pulse-android-dev/platform_manifest.git first!

Edited by peelie

We really ought to be writing scripts to use adb to pull these from a 2.1 phone or to use unyaffs to pull them from a nandroid image (or an UPDATA.APP if possible) as these apps are not freely distributable.

It's perfectly fine to downloaded these in a seperate ZIP. Google only have a problem when they are incorporated into a custom ROM zip, so having them separate makes them happy.

That's what I got too. I commented out the check for if the CYANOGEN_BIONIC flag was set

and then it built - not actually loaded it on the phone yet though.

Thanks. Seems OK now.

hi yeah i am trying to setup build environment again but getting this message:

error: Cannot remove project "device/huawei/pulse": uncommitted changes are present

commit changes, then run sync again

so tried running this command:

abort outstanding uncommitted changes

but getting no such command message

am using ubuntu 8.04; i think when i first tried to setup build environment i stared first the pull from git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git then stopped seeing as forgot i read to pull from http://github.com/pulse-android-dev/platform_manifest.git first!

The code may cause a problem later, but thats not the cause of your current problem.

By build environment I meant the instructions at http://source.android.com/source/download.html.

In particular the command

$ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl sun-java5-jdk zlib1g-dev gcc-multilib g++-multilib libc6-dev-i386 lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev lib32readline5-dev lib32z-dev

It looks like you are using a 64-bit environment and I suspect you don't have multilib installed. Even with multilib in Arch Linux I couldn't get it to build.

The code may cause a problem later, but thats not the cause of your current problem.

By build environment I meant the instructions at http://source.android.com/source/download.html.

In particular the command

$ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl sun-java5-jdk zlib1g-dev gcc-multilib g++-multilib libc6-dev-i386 lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev lib32readline5-dev lib32z-dev

It looks like you are using a 64-bit environment and I suspect you don't have multilib installed. Even with multilib in Arch Linux I couldn't get it to build.

bum i am using 64 bit!

adb shell through your PC's command prompt should be fine.

How you do adb shell, Android/linux idiot here. Fast learner though as this is very interesting. I find this so much faster than 2.1 and even camera not working makes it almost as good as the working camera lol.

Guest totiadrenalin
This is for windows only (I only have the windows pc and I don't think that this will work on linux)

make a nand backup

Download the Froyo 0.50 and unzip it in an folder on your pc.

Download this and unzip it in the same folder. fastboot.zipTurn of your phone and go in to fastboot (turn on phone while holding red key and the vol DOWN).

Connect the phone with your usb cable to the pc.

Double click the froyo.bat file and wait for cmd to finish.

Then take out your battery, put it back in and turn on your phone. That's it!

A little changing

This are the scripts that will install the froyo + clockwork recovery.

Unpack it and poot the froyo images in the same directorium.

It's work for linux, mac, Windows.

Install_Froyo.zip

Guest DanWilson
How you do adb shell, Android/linux idiot here. Fast learner though as this is very interesting. I find this so much faster than 2.1 and even camera not working makes it almost as good as the working camera lol.

Can you use adb? If so just type adb shell :P

Otherwise... I take it you use Windows?

Browse till you find the adb-windows file and then go up a folder. Open the start menu, run "cmd".

Now type "cd <space>" and drag the folder with "adb-windows" to the command prompt.

Type "adb-windows shell"

Now you should have the "#" sign and nothing else. Now type in Flibblesan's commands.

Done.

I have AmonRA booting on a 2.6.32 kernel. Can't do anything with it, but its a start.

Nice.

Can you use adb? If so just type adb shell :P

Otherwise... I take it you use Windows?

Browse till you find the adb-windows file and then go up a folder. Open the start menu, run "cmd".

Now type "cd <space>" and drag the folder with "adb-windows" to the command prompt.

Type "adb-windows shell"

Now you should have the "#" sign and nothing else. Now type in Flibblesan's commands.

Done.

Nice.

Thanks. I think most my problems stem from 64bit win 7 so gonna move to 32 bit later today. I did run what you said but get told its a read only file.