Android 2.2 Development

Guest eckengucker1

Guest gusthy
Is there an overclock/swap kernal we can use with toms CM based 0.60 froyo update?

Overlock kernel works well, I unpacked boot.img, replaced the kernel and it is fine.

Edit:

Short report:

- Rom not rooted, I rooted easily by flashing su

- Market problem reappeared, flibblescan needed

- Wifi is stable for me (non encrypted network)

- SMS works

- Swap works (with swapper or manually)

- Overclock works

- FRF 91 gapps work

- Mobile radio seems to be somewhat unstable, deeper investigation needed.

Edit2:

Doesn't connect to GPRS, EDGE or 3G data.

Edited by gusthy

Guest lilim_ac

i am using flbmod2 alpha 3 and video playback is working with rock player 1.4.4.

why is everyone say that video playback isn't working? because the gallery cannot play it?

Guest Sh4d0w940
i am using flbmod2 alpha 3 and video playback is working with rock player 1.4.4.

why is everyone say that video playback isn't working? because the gallery cannot play it?

Yes, but probably more because the Youtube app doesn't play video's.

Sh4d0w940

Guest thisweb
Overlock kernel works well, I unpacked boot.img, replaced the kernel and it is fine.

Edit:

Short report:

- Rom not rooted, I rooted easily by flashing su

- Market problem reappeared, flibblescan needed

- Wifi is stable for me (non encrypted network)

- SMS works

- Swap works (with swapper or manually)

- Overclock works

- FRF 91 gapps work

- Mobile radio seems to be somewhat unstable, deeper investigation needed.

Edit2:

Doesn't connect to GPRS, EDGE or 3G data.

Is eGPRS/3G etc just not working with the overclock kernal? Its working without overclock? (tom said he had no sim - so don't know if he tested this.)

Now the video now working anyone know if its any faster/better than the non CM6 version? Is it a complete port or was it just the video bit that was taken from CM6?

Edited by thisweb

Guest ogiogi
What do the logs say when you try to enable wifi?

Wifi enables ok but when i try to connect to my home network it just loops connecting>authenticating>error... Also the data on off switch didn't seem to work. I had data connection - E symbol appeared, but didn't test internet. Somehow it had my APN settings. Gonna post some logs later. I'm @work now

Guest ogiogi

Reflashed 0.6 and now wifi connects. But i got a reboot while turning wifi off. Here's a log filtered by errors and a full log. It rebooted on that last line. Hope it helps.

log_VERBOSE.txt log_ERROR.txt

EDIT: Gallery plays .3gp files recorded from camera but not .mp4

gives this error:

10-02 02:19:29.542: ERROR/MediaPlayer(1902): error (1, 48)

10-02 02:19:29.542: ERROR/MediaPlayer(1902): Error (1,48)
[/codebox]

Edited by ogiogi

Reflashed 0.6 and now wifi connects. But i got a reboot while turning wifi off. Here's a log filtered by errors and a full log. It rebooted on that last line. Hope it helps.

log_VERBOSE.txt log_ERROR.txt

EDIT: Gallery plays .3gp files recorded from camera but not .mp4

gives this error:

10-02 02:19:29.542: ERROR/MediaPlayer(1902): error (1, 48)

10-02 02:19:29.542: ERROR/MediaPlayer(1902): Error (1,48)
[/codebox]

I don't think the MPEG4 omx codec was included (and I don't think it is open source). CM6 for HTC devices uses omx codecs out of official roms, so it is probably as simple as copying the eclair lib (something like libomxmpeg4dec.so) into froyo. It can probably be done to an already build rom (doesn't need to be done during compile).

I'll look into the wifi problems. It sounds like everyone is having issues.

For the ril data problems try the netcfg permissions fix (chmod 6751 /system/netcfg). It looks like that isn't fixed and I didn't really expect it would be, but from my little test it looked like it was.

Overclock, swap, market etc, will not be added to my roms. If those things are important to you wait until the changes make it into the next version of FLB-Mod 2 (or add them yourself).

This rom (0.60) is not based on CM6, and the audio/video fix is not from CM6. CM6 had the same problem as aosp, this is just implementing the fix I used in CM6 into aosp as it was much better than what I previously used in aosp. I will get a CM6 rom up today, but hopefully I will get a few more features added then my current testing rom has.

Guest gusthy
I don't think the MPEG4 omx codec was included (and I don't think it is open source). CM6 for HTC devices uses omx codecs out of official roms, so it is probably as simple as copying the eclair lib (something like libomxmpeg4dec.so) into froyo. It can probably be done to an already build rom (doesn't need to be done during compile).

I'll look into the wifi problems. It sounds like everyone is having issues.

For the ril data problems try the netcfg permissions fix (chmod 6751 /system/netcfg). It looks like that isn't fixed and I didn't really expect it would be, but from my little test it looked like it was.

Overclock, swap, market etc, will not be added to my roms. If those things are important to you wait until the changes make it into the next version of FLB-Mod 2 (or add them yourself).

This rom (0.60) is not based on CM6, and the audio/video fix is not from CM6. CM6 had the same problem as aosp, this is just implementing the fix I used in CM6 into aosp as it was much better than what I previously used in aosp. I will get a CM6 rom up today, but hopefully I will get a few more features added then my current testing rom has.

There are omx codecs - among others - in the IDEOS ROM.

Edit:

Hmmmmm.

I flashed 0.60 and youtube didn't work.

Exactly what I did is:

- Flashed 0.60

- Made a boot.img from 0.60 boot.img + my 710MHz kernel

- Flashed it

- Booted to recovery, fixed market fingerprint

- Flashed gapps

- booted the phone

and Voila', nothing happened :lol:

So the question is:

TomG, did you modify the kernel?

Edited by gusthy

There are omx codecs - among others - in the IDEOS ROM.

Edit:

Hmmmmm.

I flashed 0.60 and youtube didn't work.

Exactly what I did is:

- Flashed 0.60

- Made a boot.img from 0.60 boot.img + my 710MHz kernel

- Flashed it

- Booted to recovery, fixed market fingerprint

- Flashed gapps

- booted the phone

and Voila', nothing happened :lol:

So the question is:

TomG, did you modify the kernel?

The kernel isn't modified. The testing I did was in realplayer running a 3gp vid. That failed before, but works now, so video is working but that doesn't mean all video apps will work. YouTube probably uses mpeg4, so the missing codec could be the cause. Do you see anything in the log about missing libs?

I've just been pushing the changes to git and noticed it would have still been running some of the codeaurora omx code, so that might cause problems as well.

Some of the 2.2.1 changes weren't included because I hadn't updated the forked repos (some dalvik and framework/base changes), it should all be up to date now. I'm currently pulling the updated code from git to do a test build. Once that is done I will try to get youtube working.

Guest gusthy
The kernel isn't modified. The testing I did was in realplayer running a 3gp vid. That failed before, but works now, so video is working but that doesn't mean all video apps will work. YouTube probably uses mpeg4, so the missing codec could be the cause. Do you see anything in the log about missing libs?

I've just been pushing the changes to git and noticed it would have still been running some of the codeaurora omx code, so that might cause problems as well.

Some of the 2.2.1 changes weren't included because I hadn't updated the forked repos (some dalvik and framework/base changes), it should all be up to date now. I'm currently pulling the updated code from git to do a test build. Once that is done I will try to get youtube working.

The thruth is I didn't save the logs because I had to revert to flb2, since my phone is my normal phone :lol:

Guest thisweb

Flib, are you going to do any future rom updates on the froyo pulse or are you just focussing on ZTE now. We might need someone else to help us if you are... :lol:

Wifi works fine for me. I don't know why everyone is having problems. I'm using WPA2.

YouTube has some major issues, but I think it may be due to missing codecs and no hardware acceleration. It looks like it sometimes shows a couple of frames, but then runs at 100% cpu and drops frames. I'm trying something different now. Its not as simple as just copying the omx libs over.

Guest Simon O
Flib, are you going to do any future rom updates on the froyo pulse or are you just focussing on ZTE now. We might need someone else to help us if you are... :lol:

I will do, but will leave it for a few days to see if the recent bugs can be fixed?

Guest gusthy
Wifi works fine for me. I don't know why everyone is having problems. I'm using WPA2.

YouTube has some major issues, but I think it may be due to missing codecs and no hardware acceleration. It looks like it sometimes shows a couple of frames, but then runs at 100% cpu and drops frames. I'm trying something different now. Its not as simple as just copying the omx libs over.

Not everybody, wifi works perfect for me.

It is strange that 2.1 plays youtube well.

Edited by gusthy

Not everybody, wifi works perfect for me.

It is strange that 2.1 plays youtube well.

Not really. 2.1 has hardware acceleration working.

CM6 uses a modified version of codeaurora (qcom) code. I will try to get that working (probably the codeaurora code, not the CM6 code). I'm not sure if it works in my CM6 rom, I know my test 3gp vid works, but I haven't tried anything else. I haven't setup wireless in CM6 yet, so no internet connection to test youtube (plus I need to go to the 120mb system partition to fit gapps in).

Guest gusthy
Not really. 2.1 has hardware acceleration working.

Yes, this is what I am talking of.

Kernel supports 3D acceleration + 2D acceleration of blitting from/to PMEM and frame buffer memory blocks both in .29 and .32 kernels, including AOSP, CodeAurora and CM.

Also, gralloc and copybit does this and they fall back to ashmem in some cases. This mechanism is the same in 2.1 and 2.2 as I saw.

So there is something wrong above this layers and the difference is at a higher level. The question is: where?