Android 2.2 Development

Guest eckengucker1

Guest david_dawkins
But if Froyo is made for different hardware it will look for devices that don't exist on our platform. ...

Really? I thought Android would use a class like "TouchScreen", which itself will be programmed in terms of "/dev/ts0" (I'm guessing at device names here), and it's the kernel's job to make sure that /dev/ts0 maps to the actual hardware. Any devices that the Pulse has will be supported by the T-Mo 2.1 kernel.

.... Unless they changed device naming conventions etc between eclair and froyo. Eg, eclair talks to "/dev/ts0" and froyo talks to "/dev/touchscreen". This would require a new kernel (or a crafty symlink). Anyone know?

Guest Josh04
Really? I thought Android would use a class like "TouchScreen", which itself will be programmed in terms of "/dev/ts0" (I'm guessing at device names here), and it's the kernel's job to make sure that /dev/ts0 maps to the actual hardware. Any devices that the Pulse has will be supported by the T-Mo 2.1 kernel.

.... Unless they changed device naming conventions etc between eclair and froyo. Eg, eclair talks to "/dev/ts0" and froyo talks to "/dev/touchscreen". This would require a new kernel (or a crafty symlink). Anyone know?

This is true for the touchscreen, but not some of the other devices which don't interface in a standard way, especially the RIL.

@Tom G, I think I've seen the error you mean, I think it's something network-related which isn't getting set up properly.

Guest Tom G

Tonight I again didn't have time to play with it, but I did load up the rom to get the error message.

E/NetdConnector( 1103): Communications error

E/NetdConnector( 1103): java.io.IOException: No such file or directory

E/NetdConnector( 1103): 	at android.net.LocalSocketImpl.connectLocal(Native Method)

E/NetdConnector( 1103): 	at android.net.LocalSocketImpl.connect(LocalSocketImpl.java:238)

E/NetdConnector( 1103): 	at android.net.LocalSocket.connect(LocalSocket.java:95)

E/NetdConnector( 1103): 	at com.android.server.NativeDaemonConnector.listenToSocket(NativeDaemonConnector.java:99)

E/NetdConnector( 1103): 	at com.android.server.NativeDaemonConnector.run(NativeDaemonConnector.java:83)

E/NetdConnector( 1103): 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1096)

E/NetdConnector( 1103): Error in NativeDaemonConnector

E/NetdConnector( 1103): java.io.IOException: No such file or directory

E/NetdConnector( 1103): 	at android.net.LocalSocketImpl.connectLocal(Native Method)

E/NetdConnector( 1103): 	at android.net.LocalSocketImpl.connect(LocalSocketImpl.java:238)

E/NetdConnector( 1103): 	at android.net.LocalSocket.connect(LocalSocket.java:95)

E/NetdConnector( 1103): 	at com.android.server.NativeDaemonConnector.listenToSocket(NativeDaemonConnector.java:99)

E/NetdConnector( 1103): 	at com.android.server.NativeDaemonConnector.run(NativeDaemonConnector.java:83)

E/NetdConnector( 1103): 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1096)

W/MountService( 1103): Waiting too long for mReady!

There are two recurring messages. The MountService one doesn't appear to be important (yet). I had a rom a few days ago with the MountService problem fixed and the FC fixed, but I might have lost it. NetdConnector looks like it is started from services.odex. I started looking into the Android 2.1 code around the NetdConnector issue last week but didn't find anything useful in fixing the problem and haven't had time since.

I've just signed up to dropbox, so I will get a nandroid backup of this rom up there tomorrow in case anyone wants to attempt loading it.

Guest Josh04

Yeah, in UNIX sockets are represented as files, which is why it's having an I/O error from some net code. It's a shame it doesn't spit out what it's missing.

Guest Blake Loring

Tried* manually mounting the sdcard with mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard and it doesn't work. For some reason mount is throwing errors, could be the thing causing the mountservice to crash too.

Edited by Blake Loring

Guest Tom G
Tried* manually mounting the sdcard with mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard and it doesn't work. For some reason mount is throwing errors, could be the thing causing the mountservice to crash too.

The correct mount point using a 2.2 based boot image is /mnt/sdcard, /sdcard is a symlink to /mnt/sdcard, but it looks like mounting on /sdcard still works (but the actual mount point ends up being /mnt/sdcard). MountService fails to mount the sdcard, and I can't get it to work manually with mount (but I think that is user error, it fails with a syntax error). Using busybox mount works.

I've uploaded a couple of roms, one with the problems I originally described and one with the NetdConnector problem fixed. Links are below. I don't recomment using either of these but I said I would make them available, so here they are.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7886245/Froyo-Puls...NOT_BOOT%29.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7886245/Froyo-Puls...NOT_BOOT%29.zip

I've just got it to boot so will upload another rom shortly. It constantly restarts at the moment (not a full reboot, just android restarting), so needs more work, but it boots into the setup wizard :).

PS. I am still using the old partition layout, so images will be sized accordingly.

post-651053-1276354435_thumb.jpg

Guest DanWilson
(Words and pics I didn't want to repeat)

Dude. Me thinks you be a legend. And I like the "Welcome to Nexus One" thing. It'd make me feel special.

Don't ask why. :)

Guest gusthy

BoBo, there are files and modifications for pulse in drivers/video/msm as well.

(Makefile, mddi_tc358723xbg.c, msm_fb.c, U8220_backlight.c), it seems they are not added yet to git. Does it have any reason?

Guest DanWilson
what are the chances of actually getting Froyo on the pulse?

if it is likely to happen when would it be available to us?

If Huawei do the Froyo update, then ask Bobo. Probably not stable or even possible for Huawei to update again.

If our awesome devs do the update, within 5 minutes of booting it. Doesn't mean it'll be stable, but still,

ITS FROYO! :)

I have high hopes for our devs!

Guest sabbir94
If Huawei do the Froyo update, then ask Bobo. Probably not stable or even possible for Huawei to update again.

If our awesome devs do the update, within 5 minutes of booting it. Doesn't mean it'll be stable, but still,

ITS FROYO! :)

I have high hopes for our devs!

k

i was just wondering because froyo has been developed for other phones unofficially

Guest DanWilson
k

i was just wondering because froyo has been developed for other phones unofficially

I guarantee nothing, but Tom G seems to be doing well, I'm downloading his ROM, just for the "Welcome to Nexus One" screen, and to see how it goes.

:)

Is it not an update.zip? Do I need to flash each image separately? Damn, I hoped it'd be easier...

Edited by DanWilson

Guest Tom G
I guarantee nothing, but Tom G seems to be doing well, I'm downloading his ROM, just for the "Welcome to Nexus One" screen, and to see how it goes.

:)

Is it not an update.zip? Do I need to flash each image separately? Damn, I hoped it'd be easier...

Here is the one that boots into the setup wizard. Froyo-Pulse-0.03.zip

Flash with fastboot.

It gets that far by using what looks like a hack that was put into MountListener to fix a problem with an old version of the emulator (found it in the 2.1 source and its still there in 2.2). I think the real problem is a bug in vold (found details about a bug in previous versions which would effect our platform). I doubt I will get any further until the source is released (which should be in a couple of days). While this gets further than my previous roms the problems with it are related to the previous problem which isn't really fixed.

Unfortunitely I've been stuggling to find documentation of the errors, and reading the 2.1 source hoping it is the same isn't much fun. It does seem like the MountService/vold problems are the only thing stop us for having a bootable system, so hopefully when the source is available I can get a bit further.

Guest DanWilson

Flash with fastboot.

It gets that far by using what looks like a hack that was put into MountListener to fix a problem with an old version of the emulator (found it in the 2.1 source and its still there in 2.2). I think the real problem is a bug in vold (found details about a bug in previous versions which would effect our platform). I doubt I will get any further until the source is released (which should be in a couple of days). While this gets further than my previous roms the problems with it are related to the previous problem which isn't really fixed.

Unfortunitely I've been stuggling to find documentation of the errors, and reading the 2.1 source hoping it is the same isn't much fun. It does seem like the MountService/vold problems are the only thing stop us for having a bootable system, so hopefully when the source is available I can get a bit further.

Damn you are good!

Need to remember fastboot now. Checkin ma files and seeing all thins possible. Will post lots of capital letters saying "WOOP!!" when I flash it. :)

Talk soon!

Boot splash = emulator "ANDROID"

I used (with a Mac and fastboot-mac copied to /)

/fastboot flash boot *boot.img location*

/fastboot flash system *system.img*

/fastboot flash userdata *data.img*

It worked, got the setup wizard, then it loops back to the flashing Android and continues... Well done Tom! I flashed something through fastboot! And it kinda worked!!

:VERY PROUDFACE!:

Edited by DanWilson

Guest Epic-Emodude

Hi,

Are we building our own kernel for this project? Does this mean that we (Bobo) can put multi-touch in it?

Also, once we have the kernel, is it just the case of sticking the stuff from the source on it or is it more complicated?

Thanx

Aaron

Guest gusthy
Is this source reliable. I mean how do we know that this isnt anyone saying this?

yup, this huawei person, who wrote this, gave us time machine, he promised 2.1 etc.

He likes us :))

Guest Hectic

Flash with fastboot.

Welcome to Nexus One lol :)

Guest flip's
The Middle of the End of the Beginning :)

For me is the new beginning

Pulse is U8220? or U8230? (I'm a newbie!, as u can read at the left lol)

If it's for U8230 perhaps solves my wifi 802.1x encryption problem?

Thanks you all, because T-Mobile_Pulse_21_B815 woks very well in U8230 (TMN a1) the only problem is really 802.1x.

Ok, I accept that I can't do adb and root but...

Edited by flip's

Guest DanWilson
For me is the new beginning

Pulse is U8220? or U8230? (I'm a newbie!, as u can read at the left lol)

If it's for U8230 perhaps solves my wifi 802.1x encryption problem?

Thanks you all, because T-Mobile_Pulse_21_B815 woks very well in U8230 (TMN a1) the only problem is really 802.1x.

Ok, I accept that I can't do adb and root but...

Pulse is the U8220.

I wouldn't install this as it doesn't work at all. Boots to the Nexus One screen then reboots.

I think I posted how to install it up above though. Just incase you want to install it. (If you do and you don't use a Mac I'll try to edit the instructions for you)

I still wouldn't recommend it though.

Guest flip's
Pulse is the U8220.

I wouldn't install this as it doesn't work at all. Boots to the Nexus One screen then reboots.

I think I posted how to install it up above though. Just incase you want to install it. (If you do and you don't use a Mac I'll try to edit the instructions for you)

I still wouldn't recommend it though.

Thanks, I think I will remain without 802.1x until it comes the TMN release.

By the way, in windows (and usb drivers) when you do adb the phone is in normal operation or in boot mode?

Thanks again