Android 2.2 Development

Guest eckengucker1

Guest Simon O
To fix the camera bug look deep inside into the video codecs.

Because even the gallery, and any other video player application even the youtube application can't play any video.

That's caused by a problem with the 2D libraries.

http://code.google.com/p/gaosp/issues/detail?id=2

The camera can't be easily fixed. You can't use 2.1 camera libraries in 2.2 as the camera system has been changed.

Guest Simon O

Tom, don't know if they will be helpful but I've uploaded the libs from the U815 Froyo ROM. The Pulse Mini seems to be running the U8150 ROM OK and it's quite similar to the big Pulse. Getting the entire rom working would be a massive feat but perhaps some of the libs can help fix the remaining bugs we have?

http://flibblesan.co.uk/android/U8150_lib.zip

and if you need/want the full system partition (unpacked etc)

http://flibblesan.co.uk/android/U8150.zip

Just so people know, non of these will work on the Pulse as they are.

Edited by flibblesan

the SD mounting causes problems installing any application made for 2.2. it's quite important to fix.

Isn't that fixed with the modified vold? asec should work now.

I can't find any music within the music app. I cleared media and music cache, but no success.

And by the way, is the built not rooted, because es-file-explorer and titanium don't work?

You won't find anything unless you have the modified vold installed (or use totiadrenalin's fix) as the sdcard won't mount.

Its an engineering build so it is rooted (engineering builds are rooted by default).

To fix the camera bug look deep inside into the video codecs.

Because even the gallery, and any other video player application even the youtube application can't play any video.

Those are seperate issues. The camera doesn't have a driver so it shouldn't be expected to work. The video problem is the same egl problem effecting gallery and live wallpapers.

JIT is working and hasn't caused any crashes yet, but I haven't been using the phone (its running, but just sitting idle). I'll try the next build as a user build instead of eng, I doubt it will make much difference. I might try odexing it as well.

I've forked all of the aosp code on github. I haven't got any of my modifications up yet, but it is coming. It could be a few of days.

I've been spending way to much time on this recently so will probably try to take some time off today.

Guest starkos

Decided to have a little play with this tonight & made (not very well lol) a little rom to install. I found that after booting up I got the notification error that the SD is blank or has an unsupported file system, but the ext2 partition was visible (root explorer) and A2SD was fully functioning - tested by downloading a game from the market. Has any one managed to have an SD with an ext partition and Android still recognise the FAT part as mounted & usable?

Guest Simon O
Decided to have a little play with this tonight & made (not very well lol) a little rom to install. I found that after booting up I got the notification error that the SD is blank or has an unsupported file system, but the ext2 partition was visible (root explorer) and A2SD was fully functioning - tested by downloading a game from the market. Has any one managed to have an SD with an ext partition and Android still recognise the FAT part as mounted & usable?

I'm surprised that A2SD is working as quite a lot of people are having problems running A2SD on Froyo. Exactly what did you do to enable A2SD and have you confirmed that you are definitely installing applications to the ext2 partition and not the system?

Guest starkos

Installed Tom G's modified vold and the FAT partition is now recognised as well the ext partiton and therefore fullyworking A2SD :)

Unfortunately I screwed something up making my rom as data through the network isn't working :P

I'm surprised that A2SD is working as quite a lot of people are having problems running A2SD on Froyo. Exactly what did you do to enable A2SD and have you confirmed that you are definitely installing applications to the ext2 partition and not the system?

Yea definitely working, verified with root explorer. I used the same method as my 2.1 rom - Paul's method ha! Just edited the init.rc and added the relevant scripts in /system/etc/init.d

Installed Tom G's modified vold and the FAT partition is now recognised as well the ext partiton and therefore fullyworking A2SD :)

Unfortunately I screwed something up making my rom as data through the network isn't working :P

Yea definitely working, verified with root explorer. I used the same method as my 2.1 rom - Paul's method ha! Just edited the init.rc and added the relevant scripts in /system/etc/init.d

chmod 6751 /system/bin/netcfg

Guest Simon O
I'll try it with the original vold.fstab from your images.

Ok I'm using the original vold config files and the new vold binary but I still can't install any 2.2 app that requires installation on the SD. I can't move any capable apps to the SD either.

09-05 02:47:18.295: ERROR/Vold(1288): Error opening devmapper (No such file or directory)

09-05 02:47:18.295: ERROR/Vold(1288): ASEC device mapping failed (No such file or directory)

09-05 02:47:19.625: ERROR/PackageHelper(2018): Failed to create secure container smdl2tmp1

09-05 02:47:19.635: ERROR/DefContainer(2018): Failed to create container smdl2tmp1

Try it with Angry Birds. On 2.2 it tries to install to the SD. If I edit the APK manifest to remove the line that tells Android to install to SD, it will install fine. The Froyo A2SD just doesn't work.

My mounts:

mount

rootfs on / type rootfs (ro)

tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)

proc on /proc type proc (rw)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)

tmpfs on /mnt/asec type tmpfs (rw,mode=755,gid=1000)

/dev/block/mtdblock1 on /system type yaffs2 (ro)

/dev/block/mtdblock2 on /data type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

/dev/block/mtdblock3 on /cache type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd type ext2 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue)

/dev/block/vold/179:1 on /mnt/sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_ut

me=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8)

/dev/block/vold/179:1 on /mnt/secure/asec type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_ut

me=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8)

tmpfs on /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure type tmpfs (ro,size=0k,mode=000)

Edited by flibblesan

Guest Simon O

Wow, you're right. I tried getting this working a few days ago but it didn't work. I guess the new vold binary has fixed whatever bug preventing a2sd from seeing the ext2 partition!

Now I have both mounted and a2sd seems to work.

Guest starkos
chmod 6751 /system/bin/netcfg

Cheers that sorted it! Think I'm gona go back to my 2.1 rom now but great work so far, looking forward to seeing how far you get after you've had a well deserved break :P

Edited by starkos

Yes/No/Maybe. Honestly at this early stage it is a complete unknown.

I thought that isn't a Pulse specific issue and somebody knows if there is a official statement by Google or experience on other devices.

Really great work!

Guest rikkiej

Here is a list of the different fixes and apps etc. All from this tread, I was just looking trough the entire tread and thought i'd share it with you.

dsixda rom kitchen to unpack the system.img into a flashable zip. Once unpacked you can make changes to the rom easily.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=633246

Google apps:

http://mirror.kanged.net/gapps/

http://mirror.kanged.net/gapps/gapps-mdpi-...0816-signed.zip

Use the gapps-mdpi-tiny-20100816-signed.zip file.

Patch for DirectVolume.cpp

CODE

135c135

< mDiskNumParts = 1;

---

> mDiskNumParts = 0;

178c178

< part_num = 1;

---

> part_num = ++mDiskNumParts;

This way it would still work if part 1 is ext2 and part 2 is fat.

Gallery3D fixed.

Just replace /system/app/Gallery3D.apk with this1Gallery3D.apk

So at present (after fixes) is the only major issue the camera? And does anyone know how close are we to getting a beta version with all the fixes implemented as soon as you install (or do these all have to be done seperately at the moment)?

I was just thinking, because I never use the camera on my pulse anyway, and this fix could be implemented at another time.

I'm asking because I'm not so good with patches/fixes etc. but I really want to give it froyo a test :P

Guest vladimir.mitevski
So at present (after fixes) is the only major issue the camera? And does anyone know how close are we to getting a beta version with all the fixes implemented as soon as you install (or do these all have to be done seperately at the moment)?

I was just thinking, because I never use the camera on my pulse anyway, and this fix could be implemented at another time.

I'm asking because I'm not so good with patches/fixes etc. but I really want to give it froyo a test :P

I also think that flashable zip should be released... there are a lot of free testers on this forum :)

Its possible to resize the partitions? I have 33 Mb free in the /system but /data have only 5 Mb :P I move apps like "iGo" to /system to have more space. We can reduce the /system and make /data bigger?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=717874

Thats why I've been trying to stay on the 1.5 firmware. I will have a look at the resize thing.

What I would really like is the 2.1 firmware (radio etc) with the 1.5 partition table.

Does anyone remember which 1.5 rom it was that fixed vibrate when using the 2.1 pre-release? Were there multiple 1.5 roms that did this? I think that may give me what I want.

Edited by Tom G

Might it be possible to strip the firmware data out of an uppdata.app file, and leave it only changing the partition tables? There was significant progress into figuring out the file structure in a thread a few weeks back.

Guest AdamBaker
The camera can't be easily fixed. You can't use 2.1 camera libraries in 2.2 as the camera system has been changed.

What's changed? The pdk says all the camera libs need to do is implement the features defined in CameraHardwareInterface.h and the only changes in that file on AOSP between froyo and eclair are a change of location (from frameworks/base - include/ui to include/camera) and a forward declaration added to reduce compile time.

haha a flashable zip would be amazing

becouse i already deleted everything on my phone :P

+1

i have extracted the contens of the system image and data image and i tried to make a flashable zip. this zip flashed correctly with no errors but when it is about to boot it reboots into the recovery menu. i really dont know what to do any more

Guest Simon O
Its possible to resize the partitions? I have 33 Mb free in the /system but /data have only 5 Mb :) I move apps like "iGo" to /system to have more space. We can reduce the /system and make /data bigger?

Not at all. You'll have to update your phone with the UK 2.1 update to get a slightly bigger data partition. Or go back to using 2.1 and wait for work on 2.2 to be finished so we have working roms with a2sd :P

Guest Simon O
I also think that flashable zip should be released... there are a lot of free testers on this forum :)

A zip version of an alpha rom will open the floodgates to many people that expect things to 'just work' and complain when they don't. This happens on many forums with many different roms.

Once this work has reached a level where it's mostly working, and Tom has given permission for his work to be used in general release roms, then I'll happily package it up. But right now it's an alpha rom and Tom has mentioned several times that he wouldn't like this to be made into zips for easy installation.

I want everyone to have a working and stable Froyo rom running. Give us a few more weeks :P