Android 2.2 Development

Guest eckengucker1

Guest Sh4d0w940
Nope, his account's public links have been disabled cause so many people were downloading 0.45

Guess were gonna have to wait till its up or when he uploads somewhere else

If I get my Ubuntu VM running I'll built the rom with source from github and mirror the rom.

(I can't get my keyboard to work in Ubuntu :P )

There are only 3 changes between 0.45 and 0.50 according to what Tom written. Busybox, bash and a different kernel. Nothing fixed, no new features. So really if you downloaded 0.45 then there isn't any point downloading 0.50 for the time being.

Yeah but most people who download the rom (leechers) will just see the higher version number.

Sh4d0w940

Edited by Sh4d0w940

Guest MikeRame
There are only 3 changes between 0.45 and 0.50 according to what Tom written. Busybox, bash and a different kernel. Nothing fixed, no new features. So really if you downloaded 0.45 then there isn't any point downloading 0.50 for the time being.

Is the 0.45 version JIT enabled?

Guest DanWilson
OK. I'll mirror Froyo 0.45. I don't have 0.50 so I can't mirror that.. yet

Give me 15minutes to upload it.. crappy upload speed on Virgin Media :)

OMG!! I'm on Virgin Media! 20MB download, and god knows what upload speed...

Cheers for uploading 0.45 - time to hunt out a change log or a bug report thing... :P

Guest Epic-Emodude
Froyo-Pulse-0.45 mirror: Froyo-Pulse-0.45.zip

I'll mirror 0.50 as soon as I can get hold of it. I have 1 Terabyte data transfer so I think we'll be fine. The ZIP would have to be downloaded 26,214 times before it got close enough to go over :P

If I downloaded it then deleted it continuously it would take me 3 months to reach that many downloads =(

Froyo-Pulse-0.45 mirror: Froyo-Pulse-0.45.zip

I'll mirror 0.50 as soon as I can get hold of it. I have 1 Terabyte data transfer so I think we'll be fine. The ZIP would have to be downloaded 26,214 times before it got close enough to go over :P

Thanks for uploading it. :)

Can't even remember how to install it now. Just install zip from clockwork? Do I have to wipe or anything?

Guest Holograph
Thanks for uploading it. :P

Can't even remember how to install it now. Just install zip from clockwork? Do I have to wipe or anything?

It has to be flashed through fastboot, on page 65 (I believe) someone made a how-to :)

It has to be flashed through fastboot, on page 65 (I believe) someone made a how-to :P

This is exactly why a new thread needs to be made, I can't find it at all. :)

edit: I got it.

Edited by Willz

yes, data. it can be fixed the same way as wth 0.40, however a bit more work, since it has to be rooted first, and mounting /system is more complicated:

mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

Guest AdamBaker

Has anyone else succeeded in building this yet? I got some errors from building busybox because it didn't include the extra files that are supposed to be used if CYANOGEN_BIONIC is defined even though it appears to be set. I've hacked round that and the build continues ...

Has anyone else succeeded in building this yet? I got some errors from building busybox because it didn't include the extra files that are supposed to be used if CYANOGEN_BIONIC is defined even though it appears to be set. I've hacked round that and the build continues ...

which files need to be extracted from uk rom? and how to add it to build?

am getting these errors - (tried to build without the needed files, whatever they are, from UK rom)

make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/EXECUTABLES/acp_intermediates/acp.o] Error 1

make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libhost_intermediates/CopyFile.o] Error 1

make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libhost_intermediates/pseudolocalize.o] Error 1

apologies in advance if am posting in wrong thread

Edited by peelie

Sorry for taking so long with the mirror. I would make things easier if one of the people that did download it could have helped.

Most of the free online hosting sites won't work for me from linux, so I had to use rapidshare (which took hours to upload). Now its telling me it can only be downloaded 10 times, so I'll send the link to flibblesan.

Now, that I have Market, I made a quick test with memory usage of 0.45, and it is amazing:

I installed Advanced Task Killer (which is the benchmark for me), and after killing everything except for ATK itself and the keyboard, free memory is 54 MB, which is way better than 2.1 results.

(Only memory tweak was that I removed debuggerd which is perfectly unneccessary for average users - it is a typical trick that can be found on HTC forums too.)

JIT is enabled in 0.45 and 0.50 so maybe that helps?

It works for me. Check that you have the latest version of the code, when I initially added busybox it was failing because of that bionic stuff. I don't like the way it works, but I don't want to fork the busybox code so it can't be changed.

A simple fix if busybox won't compile is to delete it.

rm -r external/busybox/

Edited by Tom G

which files need to be extracted from uk rom? and how to add it to build?

am getting these errors - (tried to build without the needed files, whatever they are, from UK rom)

make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/EXECUTABLES/acp_intermediates/acp.o] Error 1

make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libhost_intermediates/CopyFile.o] Error 1

make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libhost_intermediates/pseudolocalize.o] Error 1

apologies in advance if am posting in wrong thread

There is a script included to extract the files (I haven't updated the instructions yet)

device/huawei/pulse/extract_zip.sh <zip_file>

zip_file should be a signed zip update file (it doesn't matter if its not signed, but it should be of that format). eg. One of flibblesan's roms.

I will add support later for pulling the files from a running phone or UPDATA.UPP.

There is also a file (device/huawei/pulse/files.txt I think) that lists what files are needed.

Edited by Tom G

It's uploaded:

Froyo-Pulse-0.50: Froyo-Pulse-0.50.zip (mirror thanks to Josh04) (if you want to mirror this locally, please do)

Flash through fastboot mode. Turn on phone holding volume down & red button until you get a blue screen. Then use the fastboot binary (not provided. get it from any recovery image):

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot flash system system.img

fastboot flash userdata userdata.img

Flashing the images will remove anything on the phone already. If you want to keep your data then don't flash userdata (it's not needed).

Edited by flibblesan

JIT is enabled in 0.45 and 0.50 so maybe that helps?

It may be worth knowing that JIT will use more RAM and can cause instabilities on a device such as ours with low RAM. Cyanogenmod 6 has disabled JIT on the HTC Dream/G1 and Sapphire devices because of this. The Pulse has low ram like these two devices so I'd say JIT was disabled for a very good reason.

There is a script included to extract the files (I haven't updated the instructions yet)

device/huawei/pulse/extract_zip.sh <zip_file>

zip_file should be a signed zip update file (it doesn't matter if its not signed, but it should be of that format). eg. One of flibblesan's roms.

I will add support later for pulling the files from a running phone or UPDATA.UPP.

There is also a file (device/huawei/pulse/files.txt I think) that lists what files are needed.

hmm getting a no such file or directory message - although definitely can see both files?

It may be worth knowing that JIT will use more RAM and can cause instabilities on a device such as ours with low RAM. Cyanogenmod 6 has disabled JIT on the HTC Dream/G1 and Sapphire devices because of this. The Pulse has low ram like these two devices so I'd say JIT was disabled for a very good reason.

Cyanogen posted these to Twitter back in July:

I cannot believe how well Froyo runs on old hardware. Hats off to Google.

Has nothing to do with JIT- JIT is disabled for old devices to conserve memory and keep app startup fast.

@tekkitan haven't tried jit, I think its best to leave it off due to memory constraint

(linked to original tweets). I agree with him. Some people on XDA and cyanogenmod forums enabled JIT on the Dream and had instability after a while. It's not a fault with JIT it's just that our phones don't have enough RAM to use JIT effectively.

As JIT can easily be disabled and enabled by setting a build.prop command, it'll be worth compiling Froyo with JIT support still. Then that will allow the users to make the choice to use it or not.

If needed to upload elsewhere, say it now.

edit: I guess not...

I don't need it uploaded elsewhere personally but I know some people find my server too slow so they might want to mirror it for other users. Our Chinese/Taiwan friends for example.

hmm getting a no such file or directory message - although definitely can see both files?

What is the command your running and what is the full output?

You should see something like

$device/huawei/pulse/extract_zip.sh ~/Android/downloads/flbmod_v1.5adw.zip 

Zip file = /home/tom/Android/downloads/flbmod_v1.5adw.zip

Source location = device/huawei/pulse

Archive:  /home/tom/Android/downloads/flbmod_v1.5adw.zip

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/libGLES_qcom.so  

Archive:  /home/tom/Android/downloads/flbmod_v1.5adw.zip

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/athtcmd_ram.bin  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/lib/libwmsts.so  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/lib/libnv.so  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/bin/akmd2  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/athwlan.bin.z77  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/caldata.bin.ar6002  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/caldata.bin.ar6102  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/lib/libmmgsdilib.so  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/lib/libwms.so  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/iwlist  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/ar6000.ko  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/data.patch.hw2_0.bin.ar6002  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/data.patch.hw2_0.bin.ar6102  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/lib/libgstk_exp.so  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/lib/libqmi.so  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/lib/libril-qcril-hook-oem.so  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/lib/libdss.so  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/udp_server  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/iwconfig  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/lib/libcm.so  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/lib/libdiag.so  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/loadART.sh  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/lib/hw/sensors.default.so  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/artagent  

inflating: device/huawei/pulse/include/system/wifi/device.bin