24/May - FRF50 (Froyo) pre-rooted update zip + no radio option + online kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest joelee
Tried both methods but the its still grey in "manage applications" cant move them.

The apps developer needs to set the new Froyo manifest attribute "android:installLocation" to either "auto" or "preferExternal" to allow installation or moving to SD. See http://developer.android.com/guide/appendi...l-location.html

Edited by joelee

Guest Docmjldds
I just wiped everything (data, cache, Dalvik-cache, rotate, battery) and flashed the zip.

I consistently keep getting the Android falling out of the box.

Has anyone successfully gone from Desire to 2.2 using Paul's zip??

If so, how did you do it??

I have been using Pauls A22 and Raven kernels...both .33 which at the time allowed desire Video to work, or simply testing later .34 CFS versions. I Nandroid backup, then wiped everything...data, Dalvik, cache, battery stats, and rotation. Then flashed Paul's update. For me, chompSMS fails. Another app I us to keep display on all the time also FC's. (ToggleDisplay). The radio update is required to have the Video camera work, BTW. Users runiing custom installs and NOT updating to the Froyo50 radio wil have non function videocam. Also, with Ravens kernels, his latest .34 with Froyo has a working video cam and I also get 38MFLPS with linpack. I use the CFS verion. Other users with BFS claim 40+MFLPS.

Below is a comment from the author of the HTC IME KB mod. The file I reference posted will install the KB but Voice input needs work. The Android KB works with Voice input, FYI. I tested that fine.

jonasl jonasl is offline [OP]

[sweden - Halebop]

[sweden]

First post updated with a link to hires v25 with voice input removed. This build seems to work on froyo/2.2 after some quick initial testing. No other changes.

Please report your results after install.

Before 2.2 the voice input APIs was private/hidden. In 2.2 they are made public but are reworked which breaks compatibility. The only solution seems to be a complete rewrite of the voice input code and that will take some time.

Desire keyboard mod. Please donate if you like my work

htc_ime_jonasl_hires22_25.zip is the file to get the apk needed to have the modded KB install without FC...sans voice though.

I have had no problems with USB mount/dismount with updating via a complete wipe over the A22 I was using. Titanium backup works fine. Just hit the problems link to reinstall busybox.

OK....that's my current synopsis of what works or isn't.

Oh... I also installed the Beta flash update from market and HULU currently says wrongs version error. Have not tried other flash files, but yes, I did run the market update. Yes, some of my paid apps are no shows for the market, but I believe those developers need to update on their end. I would say, 95% or more of my apps were updated automatically and seen, etc.

Sorry for the long ramble. I just wanted to get out there what I believe was important.

Other random flash enabled sites do work. I understand HULU is controlling this not being functional.

Edited by Docmjldds

Guest hanamachi

I had desire rom before. You need to wipe first and then restore back to nexus and the flash it.

BTW, where is the radio?

Guest Docmjldds
Tryin that now. Thank you VERY much. I'll report back.

Video Camera works fine. Two requirement. You absolutely need to be running the radio update part of Pauls zip. Next, Kernel update required. I currently use Raven's kernels. His latest .34 Froyo versions work fine with videocam.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=653598

I specifically use 2.6.34_AVS-925mV_CFS_20100523_2112.zip. The zip installs via recovery flash from SD card zip.

Guest Docmjldds
Damn! Someone at XDA reported that the video function still crashes and reboots the phone with Gr8gorilla's kernel. I personally hardly EVER record video, so I'm gonna install it anyway when I get off of work tonight.

Use Ravens Kernel. I GUARANTEE it works. I have 30 minutes of family recording I have done today.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=653598 Specifically 2.6.34_AVS-925mV_CFS_20100523_2112.zip

Edited by Docmjldds

Guest Vegito168
And make sure you don't reboot phone, 'cause you'll have to reinstall many of apps to work properly. Like you'll lost your beautiful widgets or your advanced task manager will not autorun. And your keybord will need to config one more time. I doubt this method of enabling App2SD really worth to try.

I was able to execute the command and then move the majority of my apps over to SD, then immediately after reboot, and I had NO problems whatsoever. All my widgets worked, my task manager started up no problem, and I did need to configure my keyboard again. It seems not everyone is having the same results. I'm not sure what the deal is.

Tried both methods but the its still grey in "manage applications" cant move them.

Well, it has been reported several times on XDA that certain apps that are, for lack of better words, protected, will not allow you to move them to SD. If all your apps have the move to SD greyed out, then I'm not really sure. Sorry man.

Use Ravens Kernel. I GUARANTEE it works. I have 30 minutes of family recording I have done today.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=653598 Specifically 2.6.34_AVS-925mV_CFS_20100523_2112.zip

Alright, I will try IntersectRaven's kernel. I'm still not sure what the big difference is between BFS and CFS though. Maybe I'll test them both out and see what kind of difference it makes, if any. I would have preferred an OC kernel, but its OK.

Edited by Vegito168

Guest Shuflie

Another app to add to the not working list is Co-Pilot. It fails at the unpacking library stage. Emailed support so hopefully will get an update soon.

Guest hanamachi
Another app to add to the not working list is Co-Pilot. It fails at the unpacking library stage. Emailed support so hopefully will get an update soon.

App installer doesn't work either.

Does anyone know how to get the HTC applications back? (ie voice recorder, clock,) or is it not possible?

Thanks,

Guest jan Vidar
The apps developer needs to set the new Froyo manifest attribute "android:installLocation" to either "auto" or "preferExternal" to allow installation or moving to SD. See http://developer.android.com/guide/appendi...l-location.html

Im doing that but im only getting "permission denied" in the terminal, do you now how i can bypass that?

Edited by jan Vidar

Guest Raspster
AWESOME!!!

Did a NANDROID backup, full wipe (just in case, I always like a clean install :rolleyes: ) and flashed Paul's FROYO. Waited for it to say reboot. then new screen says "Formating Cache".... reboot again. Signed in. Downloaded Adobe Flash from market place. Tested on www.2advanced.com. WORKS GREAT!!!!

Thank you Paul for your hardwork!

FYI

I have a ATT N1. I did the update with the new radio. tested everything, works fine ie (wireless, bluetooth, GPS, phone calls). Just make sure if finishes the update of the radio and the battery has a full charge.

How is your MMS working on ATT? Can you send and receive them?

Guest Adeher

I read everywhere "no wipe needed". But what about apps that were installed on SD and used with Apps2sd on an ext partition ? Will they work directly ? Where will Froyo install new apps ? Will it use the same partition ?

Let's say I want to do a full wipe before installing Froyo (just because I want to), should I get rid of the ext partition or keep it ?

Guest Morgren
Alright, I will try IntersectRaven's kernel. I'm still not sure what the big difference is between BFS and CFS though. Maybe I'll test them both out and see what kind of difference it makes, if any. I would have preferred an OC kernel, but its OK.

Only bug in this kernel - USB

Guest master_beta
I read everywhere "no wipe needed". But what about apps that were installed on SD and used with Apps2sd on an ext partition ? Will they work directly ? Where will Froyo install new apps ? Will it use the same partition ?

Let's say I want to do a full wipe before installing Froyo (just because I want to), should I get rid of the ext partition or keep it ?

Wondering about this too (using A22 Desire ROM with A2SD).

Guest Lokizilla

Apps on SD in Froyo != Apps2SD. They're two entirely different things - expecting the average user to get into partitioning their SD cards wouldn't be a good way forward!

You won't need an ext partition, it stores the app data on the same partition as everything else. This is why no apps on the market support this at the moment.

If you currently use A2SD, personally I'd hold on for the kitchen build of Froyo and bake a version with it included.

Guest greywolfnz

after installing IntersectRaven's kernel droidwall still return an error but now it is:

Protocol wrong type for socket

i think the issue is iptables more than droidwall but i might be wrong been a while since i used iptables on linux. :-(

Guest goalfish

How does this Froyo compare to the update Google will officially roll out for Froyo? Is it better to wait for the official OTA update from Google or just do it manually now? And will I still get the official OTA update to Froyo once I manual install now?

Sorry for asking such a noob question... XP

hello i am really sorry but i am new on the android I have a nexus no contract (unlock) no rooted can i run your update FRF50 whit out my phone been rootet thanks

Guest lmiyar

3G not working for me.

Using AT&T phone at mexico (same bands)

I'm using the same APN as in Eclair but it doesn't open any website

Any help?

Guest mrfoo

Hello all,

Needless to say i've jumped straight in and am now in a bit of a mess.

I was running the desire r21 port on my Nexus - i've followed these instructions, first i flashed ra-nexus-1.6.2 (i had 1.5.0) then i used all the wipe options and ran the update zip and rebooted etc (as above).

The phone boots to the initial wizard where it prompts you for google account settings etc ('touch the green android to begin'). After i've pressed a few of these buttons the whole thing freezes up and I have to remove the battery to get a reboot.

After this happened a couple of times i went back and reflashed, this is now my 4th attempt and it still happens - any idea how I can fix this? I have no Nandroid backups from any point, everything's backed up online so I didn't think this was necessary but from people saying 'revert back to original nexus image' - is this what they mean?

Thanks

MF

EDIT: This seems to start after I get a signal, at the one point where I got wireless configured before the freeze it also started freezing up as soon as a connection to the wireless network was acquired - any thoughts?

SOLUTION: Thanks to Paul for assistance, it appears to have been my SD Card - once i removed that the phone booted with no issues! Now i've just got to figure out how to reformat it and get it working again..

Edited by mrfoo