How to upgrade your N1 to FroYo.

Guest stevenz

Guest stevenz
Hey, so i've been looking like crazy for android 2.2 zip file and I finally found one that looks to be working... but it didn't work! I have my nexus with Tmo service.... i saved the zip file on my sd card... then turned off phone, held volume with power button, selected recovery, selected sd card: update.zip file...etc... but it gave an error message!!! what did i do wrong!?? (;_:(

oh and I have not rooted my N1... could this be the issue? or is the link dead????

I really want android 2.2!! HELP Please! :(

Just saying "it gave an error message" is fairly similar to "my car won't go, what's wrong with it"? What is the error? What recovery are you using?

It doesn't need to be rooted as long as you can get at the recovery. And you don't need to "look like crazy", just use the link from the 1st post or from one of the stickies in this forum.

Guest Senshik
Just saying "it gave an error message" is fairly similar to "my car won't go, what's wrong with it"? What is the error? What recovery are you using?

It doesn't need to be rooted as long as you can get at the recovery. And you don't need to "look like crazy", just use the link from the 1st post or from one of the stickies in this forum.

under the Android system recovery screen, i highlight and select "apply sdcard:update.zip". The following is the error message:

E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

install from sdcard...

finding update package...

opening update package...

verifying update package...

E: signature verification failed

Installation aborted.

:(

Guest Schyzo

Hello,

I'm new here and french overthere...so excuse my very bad english :(

I just received my N1 from SFR (EPF21B) and I'm sorry to ask again, but I just wanna be sure before doing a huge mistake...

I want to upgrade my phone to FROYO, but I can read everywhere that EPF21B is not allowed to upgrade to Froyo...

So, does those links will allow me to upgrade to Froyo ?

Instructions for flashing Paul's pre-rooted FroYo ROM. Instructions hold true for ANY custom ROM (MCR, Cyanogen, Desire etc)

To return to a stock (but rooted) 2.1 ROM replace steps 1. & 5. with these steps instead:

1. Download the EPF21B update.zip from here and copy that to the root of the SD card too.

5. Flash the EPF21B update.

If not, what is this "EPF21B update" mentionned ?

Thank you for your answers...

Guest stevenz
Hello,

I'm new here and french overthere...so excuse my very bad english :(

I just received my N1 from SFR (EPF21B) and I'm sorry to ask again, but I just wanna be sure before doing a huge mistake...

I want to upgrade my phone to FROYO, but I can read everywhere that EPF21B is not allowed to upgrade to Froyo...

EPF21B is irrelevant - everything that makes it EPF21B is wiped and replaced with FRF50 (FroYo).

I reiterate, these instructions will let you install FroYo to ANY Nexus, regardless of existing firmware version - the only requirement is that the phone be unlocked (via the "fastboot oem unlock" functon) and that a recovery menu can be accessed.

As for reading "everywhere" - I don't think I've seen any mentions of this "issue".

If EPF21B couldn't be flashed to FroYo, then Google wouldn't be able to send it the official OTA update, there's no way they'd do that.

Guest Schyzo
EPF21B is irrelevant - everything that makes it EPF21B is wiped and replaced with FRF50 (FroYo).

I reiterate, these instructions will let you install FroYo to ANY Nexus, regardless of existing firmware version - the only requirement is that the phone be unlocked (via the "fastboot oem unlock" functon) and that a recovery menu can be accessed.

As for reading "everywhere" - I don't think I've seen any mentions of this "issue".

If EPF21B couldn't be flashed to FroYo, then Google wouldn't be able to send it the official OTA update, there's no way they'd do that.

Thank you for your answer Stevenz.

If I understand, flashing Froyo on my N1 will not prevent my phone from the officiel OTA Update, isn't it ?

So, I just have to unlock it, fastboot and then, flash...with Froyo ?

Guest Schyzo

I've seen a lot of warning from all french websites I'm following (pointgphone.com, smartphonefrance, etc...) : the Froyo update currently available is only for US Nexus (ERE27) and not for EPF21B !

Someone even told me that :

"As MoDaCo modified the original ROM, I think the official update will not be automatically sent to your phone as the other OTA.

Moreover, even if you receive thie OTA, you may not be able to install it because the previous one had been modified. I'll be carefull..."

Another french guy thinks there is an "official EPF21B update" : witch was available a few hours and then dissapeard.

So, I really don't know what to do...

I brought the Nexus to be always "up do date" with OTA...so, if I flash now, I'm affraid not to receive the next one !

Am I wrong ??

Guest stevenz
I've seen a lot of warning from all french websites I'm following (pointgphone.com, smartphonefrance, etc...) : the Froyo update currently available is only for US Nexus (ERE27) and not for EPF21B !

Someone even told me that :

"As MoDaCo modified the original ROM, I think the official update will not be automatically sent to your phone as the other OTA.

Moreover, even if you receive thie OTA, you may not be able to install it because the previous one had been modified. I'll be carefull..."

Another french guy thinks there is an "official EPF21B update" : witch was available a few hours and then dissapeard.

So, I really don't know what to do...

I brought the Nexus to be always "up do date" with OTA...so, if I flash now, I'm affraid not to receive the next one !

Am I wrong ??

There is no "French", or "English" Nexus One. There are 2 hardware variants, and the only difference is the frequencies that they support.

People saying "I think" is hardly conclusive facts.

And I say again, it doesn't MATTER if the phone is current ERE27 or whatever, wiping the system partition (which a ROM update does) also wipes ERE27 (or whatever) and replaces it with the new ROM. The "Build" number is for the software on the phone, it's got nothing to do with the phone hardware.

The current 2.2 release is supposedly a developer-only pre-release. According to reports the official OTA will be applied over the top of it, but ONLY if the phone is in a non-rooted state. Even when it is released you'll still be able to downlad and flash it manually. There is NO danger unless you do something stupid and pull the battery while flashing the radio.

If you're this worried about not being able to upgrade to OTA, then why not leave your phone stock and wait for the official FroYo OTA release? Flashing the existing 2.2 ROMs will NOT prevent you from flashing the final release in it's update.zip form.

Guest vanessa13006
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

install from sdcard...

finding update package...

opening update package...

verifying update package...

E: signature verification failed

Installation aborted.

:(

Hi,

I'm exactly in the same situation. Don't know what doing. Is there a solution please ?

Thanks

Edited by vanessa13006

Guest Schyzo

Okay, Thanks again Stevez !

So I already unlock the bootloader and install the superboot.

As I'm at work, I can't access to mediafire or any file hosting websites like it.

So, I found this link

But I don't know what file is coresponding to the mediafire link in post #1.

Can anyone help me ? I don't want to flash with an incorrect file ;o)

Guest vanessa13006

Ok finaly i downloaded ClockworkMod Recovery/ROM Manager Premium software from the market and installed froyo whith this soft. It work perfectly. If it can help someone...

Have a nice day

Edited by vanessa13006

Guest Ariperelman

Whats the difference between flashing with or without Radio?

i had an EPE54B, and flashed Froyo without Radio, just because i thought that the Radio on my device (3G 850/1900mhz) was different than ERE27.

Guest stevenz
Whats the difference between flashing with or without Radio?

i had an EPE54B, and flashed Froyo without Radio, just because i thought that the Radio on my device (3G 850/1900mhz) was different than ERE27.

The same radio works on the 850 and the 900 versions of the phone (once again, ANY NEXUS ONE will work with this). The hardware handles the frequencies, the radio firmware doesn't really care which version it is. It runs fine with my "AT&T" 850Mhz version

You need the FroYo radio with the FroYo ROM or you'll have issues with some features (video camera mainly). Most things will work fine with an older radio, but there's not much reason to keep using an older radio.

Guest stevenz
Hi,

I'm exactly in the same situation. Don't know what doing. Is there a solution please ?

Thanks

Should only be doing that if either the update file is corrupted (test it with WinZIP or something) or if you've got something checking signature verification which a phone with an unlocked bootloader shouldn't be doing. What recovery image are you using? **EDIT** - Ah, I see you got it going in the end. Not sure what the issue was then.

So, I found this link

But I don't know what file is coresponding to the mediafire link in post #1.

Nothing in there is what you want. Use the links from Paul's post HERE.

Edited by stevenz

Guest techlogik

Just my two cents...all of these Froyo test builds that are based off the early release are junk. I wouldn't waste your time with this thing until we get an official and some good cooks going.

I tried the 2.2 and it was a mess, FCs, stuff doesn't work, the interface for mail/calendar is still pathetic compared to Desire Rom with very few options.

Gonna wait until the 2.2 Desire Sense build comes out later this year, then do some good cook on it.

Guest stevenz
Just my two cents...all of these Froyo test builds that are based off the early release are junk. I wouldn't waste your time with this thing until we get an official and some good cooks going.

I tried the 2.2 and it was a mess, FCs, stuff doesn't work, the interface for mail/calendar is still pathetic compared to Desire Rom with very few options.

Gonna wait until the 2.2 Desire Sense build comes out later this year, then do some good cook on it.

The final 2.2 is unlikely to be significantly different from this developer version. It's certainly not going to magically gain SenseUI level of features as you seem to want. You'll be waiting until full source for FroYo is available, and ideally the 2.2 release for the Desire, which _might_ turn up this year if you're lucky. I wouldn't hold my breath given HTC's history.

Most people have had no issues with FC's and things not working unless they've tried crossflashing without a full wipe beforehand, or using the wrong radio. General opinion seems to be that it's significantly faster and more stable than the stock 2.1.

YMMV though. If you want SenseUI, you'd be better off buying a Desire, you could be waiting a while otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest triciopa

if I install this, will I still be able to recieve the official ota update when it is released? I have the unlocked at&t version, wht should I do with the radio img? thanks keep up the good work