[Boot Animations] **Updated 05/09/2010**

Guest potter97

Guest potter97
Erm, my Desire won't change boot animation?

It's rooted with r6. Installed FRF83 r19 MCR using ClockworkMod... I just hate the standard boot animation from HTC. They have this shiny HTC logo, and then they use the green and white one on their newest phone -.-'

/data/local doesn't even exist :/

Ok spoke to the Dev who is running an official Froyo ROM on his droid, So i can only guess as you have a custom ROM thats why it not working, But on the other hand the dev said his app checks both /system/media and checks to see if thier is data/local, and uses what ever is available.

Guest Time Sheep

I believe it is something specific to my phone, as none of the different methods of changing my boot animation works. Haven't had the chance to try the baked-in N1 animation in MCR r3.1 though as I couldn't make it install... Weird, yes? I don't want that ROM anymore though :lol:

Guest Time Sheep

Okay, well, I know this is doubleposting but it's almost a week since last post.

I figured that it's not the software rebooting the phone, the phone crashes when it's done downloading :-/

Guest potter97
Okay, well, I know this is doubleposting but it's almost a week since last post.

I figured that it's not the software rebooting the phone, the phone crashes when it's done downloading :-/

No bootanimations work with froyo sorry :) atm, it so I have been told.

Guest Emperork

here's my attempt at a bootlogo. Dunno if it is meant to be a certain length of time, but it's 480 by 800. Is that alright?

desirebootlogo.gif

Guest Emperork

crap, can you not use gif files as a bootanimation? do they have to be pngs? Only I made the gif and set the frames to various lengths of time. I could go back and make multiples of frames and save them as numerous pngs, but is there any way to use the gif?

Guest potter97
here's my attempt at a bootlogo. Dunno if it is meant to be a certain length of time, but it's 480 by 800. Is that alright?

Looks cool m8, kudos :)

And yea correct

Guest potter97
crap, can you not use gif files as a bootanimation? do they have to be pngs? Only I made the gif and set the frames to various lengths of time. I could go back and make multiples of frames and save them as numerous pngs, but is there any way to use the gif?

Ah no .PNGs only sorry bud lol.

And dont think im copying you, as i have a World bootanime ready to release for a while now, just putting the finishing touches on it. lol, but you gone an put one up, everyone will think i copied you now pmsl

Edited by potter97

Guest potter97
if you make any money on it, then i want some, otherwise it's cool :-p

Lol, sorry but the ones in the app in the paid section are all MY own work :), Plus my world one is Sick :D.

Also the animes have to be Generic not just for Desire

Guest Emperork

hmm i'm having difficulty actually making this an animation....

how exactly is it done?

I have a gif, and I also have a bunch of PNG files for the one I made.

Guest StuMcBill

OK, I have a question regarding bootanimations, so I thought I would just post here, rather than posting a new topic.

When I had opendesire 1.6pre2 installed, I had a very nice "scrolling" ANDROID bootlogo (the same as the one which loads when you run the emulator in the SDK), however, I had a look through the downloaded ROM and I couldn't find the bootanimation to extract and use on my current ROM (MCRr4 Sense/Froyo).

Does anyone know how I can extract it from this zip file, or where I could download it?

Thanks

Stu

Guest quentin2

I downloaded the LITE app as a first step... it installed, I called it... then on tab "animations" it started downloading animations - and the mobile phone crashed and reboots automatically then.

What do I do wrong?

q2.

Guest potter97
I downloaded the LITE app as a first step... it installed, I called it... then on tab "animations" it started downloading animations - and the mobile phone crashed and reboots automatically then.

What do I do wrong?

q2.

Are you on Foroy is so, dont use it..

ill add it to main page.

Guest potter97
Hi.

Thanks for the notification - yes, using Pauls phantastic r4 from this forum.

Best regards,

Norbert

Norbert do you have to be notified to check your post in the morning??

Or do you get off you ass and LOOK?? pmsl

Anyway it will not work on froyo, but lucky for you someone on xda has a little tip.

**Insert**

finally i got it to work!

I booted my phone into recovery and added a symlink for bootanimation.zip in /system/resource/customize to /data/local

Then put the bootanimation.zip in /data/local reboot phone and it works!

Testet with Modaco R4 refresh.

So from now on i can easily change bootanimations with pushing new bootanimation.zip to /data/local which is writeable everytime.

Warrie87

Guest The_IMF

So do I get my money back since it no longer works with r4? I got a whole 1 weeks use out of it.

Good for you for making the app but if you're not going to update it for it to work with later firmwares; then that's a royal jyp.

Guest potter97
So do I get my money back since it no longer works with r4? I got a whole 1 weeks use out of it.

Good for you for making the app but if you're not going to update it for it to work with later firmwares; then that's a royal jyp.

Lol, no longer works ??, You mean never worked.

I did not make the app so no, you not getting any money from me pmsl!!.

I just make the animations.

What did you expect when the app was released Froyo was still a dream lol, Its not even official Yet, so stop crying.

your running a MOD ROM, it will not be compatible with EVERY MODDED ROM, Jeese, wake up a bit!!

Just use the solution above if you that hacked of about it.

Edited by potter97

Guest warrie

Just use my solution i posted on XDA-Developers and quoted by potter.

Its just one time syslinking and then you will be able to do it with /data/local

Possibly it works with that program after you symlinked it from /system/customize/resource but im not sure about that because i dont use that program anymore. If it moves the bootanimation.zip to data/local you should be able to use that app again.

EDIT:

Just made the path right. Got kinda dizzy cuz all of that folders :angry:

Edited by warrie

Guest potter97
Just use my solution i posted on XDA-Developers and quoted by potter.

Its just one time syslinking and then you will be able to do it with /data/local

Possibly it works with that program after you symlinked it from /system/resource/customize but im not sure about that because i dont use that program anymore. If it moves the bootanimation.zip to data/local you should be able to use that app again.

Just for us noobs (me included on the symlinking) Could you possible write a very short guide, with the commands you used please Warrie?

Many thanks dude :angry:

Guest warrie

sure thing. That shell stuff isnt very easy if you normally use windows :angry:

just boot up your desire in recovery mode and first mount the system

mount system

change directory to /system/customize/resource

cd /system/customize/resource

then just setup the syslink

ln -s /data/local/bootanimation.zip bootanimation.zip

CHECK TWICE THE CORRECT PATH. I MADE A MISTAKE IN THAT OTHER POST AS WELL! THE SYMLINK MUST BE MADE IN /system/customize/resource

check it simply with

ls -l

scroll a bit up and you should see: bootanimation.zip -> data/local/bootanimation.zip

if thats fine, your are done.

just put any bootanimation.zip to data/local and it should be shown @ startup. I only tested it @ The MCR r4 Refresh so im not sure if it works for other roms as well.

So you won't need recovery again if you want to change your bootanimation. If that app saves the bootanimations in /data/local it possibly will work again with this symlink. try it :D

Guest StuMcBill
OK, I have a question regarding bootanimations, so I thought I would just post here, rather than posting a new topic.

When I had opendesire 1.6pre2 installed, I had a very nice "scrolling" ANDROID bootlogo (the same as the one which loads when you run the emulator in the SDK), however, I had a look through the downloaded ROM and I couldn't find the bootanimation to extract and use on my current ROM (MCRr4 Sense/Froyo).

Does anyone know how I can extract it from this zip file, or where I could download it?

Thanks

Stu

Anyone have any ideas where I can get the bootanimation I am looking for?

Guest potter97
sure thing. That shell stuff isnt very easy if you normally use windows :angry:

just boot up your desire in recovery mode and first mount the system

change directory to /system/customize/resource

then just setup the syslink

CHECK TWICE THE CORRECT PATH. I MADE A MISTAKE IN THAT OTHER POST AS WELL! THE SYMLINK MUST BE MADE IN /system/customize/resource

check it simply with

scroll a bit up and you should see: bootanimation.zip -> data/local/bootanimation.zip

if thats fine, your are done.

just put any bootanimation.zip to data/local and it should be shown @ startup. I only tested it @ The MCR r4 Refresh so im not sure if it works for other roms as well.

So you won't need recovery again if you want to change your bootanimation. If that app saves the bootanimations in /data/local it possibly will work again with this symlink. try it :D

Wicked nice update, Thanks warrie.

I may make that a shell and .bat script so its just double click for users, then its just bootinto recovery double click script ;)

but i dont have the time right now, but in the next few days maybe, unless someone else wants to do it, ill add it to the first post then for compatibility

Guest The_IMF
Lol, no longer works ??, You mean never worked.

I did not make the app so no, you not getting any money from me pmsl!!.

I just make the animations.

What did you expect when the app was released Froyo was still a dream lol, Its not even official Yet, so stop crying.

your running a MOD ROM, it will not be compatible with EVERY MODDED ROM, Jeese, wake up a bit!!

Just use the solution above if you that hacked of about it.

Yes it never worked with r4 but it no longer works for me as I was r3.1 before.

I assumed you were the dev as you put this thread up and I have every reason to be hacked off. Nowhere on the app does it say "incompatible with froyo".

Oh and stop being a moron in your responses. I asked a genuine question. Doesn't matter if it's a modded rom or not as it doesn't work on a Froyo nexus one either you plonker so don't patronise me with your "stop crying" and "wake up a bit" crap thanks.

One problem with the market is the 1 day refund; under the trading standards I can get a refund for any item up to 28 days if it's not fit for purpose especially if the seller is a c*nt who doesn't respond to emails.

It's d*ck sellers like this on the Android market which is why the Market will never be able to compete with the App store. People like me that spend £10-15 on apps a month keep getting burnt so we spend less. We spend less and cheapskates spend f*ck all. Genuine developers do not get paid and so they develop for iPhone instead.

Edited by The_IMF