Random reboots on stock/official carrier ROM(s) - symptoms exactly like with BETA 2.1 ROMs!!!

Guest Koo-san

Guest DanWilson

Maybe overheating melts the solder on one of the chips a bit, causing the phone to become enraged and reboot in your face. I say your face as mine seems to be OK - uptime of 3 hours right now, but I flashed some stuff earlier. I'll keep you posted on that. But back to the chips, that's what caused the Red Ring Of Death in the Xbox 360 - bad ventilation, bad solder, GPU melts, RRoD, Rage Face.

Heat has to be the problem!

Guest craigb244
Maybe overheating melts the solder on one of the chips a bit, causing the phone to become enraged and reboot in your face. I say your face as mine seems to be OK - uptime of 3 hours right now, but I flashed some stuff earlier. I'll keep you posted on that. But back to the chips, that's what caused the Red Ring Of Death in the Xbox 360 - bad ventilation, bad solder, GPU melts, RRoD, Rage Face.

Heat has to be the problem!

the ram might be faulty internally (i doubt anything in our phones can get hot enough to melt solder and still be "working") one time i got pissed of when it was rebooting while using satnav trying to find someones house, it restarted so i kept starting satnav again. it gave me one direction then reboots.

after about the 10th reboot it just started looping while loading android. i just left it. battery died after about a hour (from almost full) and the phone was VERY hot

Guest Koo-san
...it happens when its warm. running satnav makes in reboot within seconds in the car.

i put my phone in the fridge with satnav running and it worked perfectly. rebooted after about 3 mins once out the fridge.

Hahaha! I can confirm my experiences are the same. Was tempted to throw it in the firdge like you too but didn't...all I did was put next to an air-condition unit with it blowing full blast at the Pulse I can use all the apps (like I used to be able to!) without reboots. Then as soon as I use it outside where its 30+ C degrees, even a phone call can make it reboot!!!

...not sure why/how heat exacerbates the problem, but now I do think it's a bad RAM issue!!! Wonder how widespread this problem is...I know among Nexus Ones the incidence has been fairly high...and would seem so here too. But given less people have Pulses than N1s (I think), then this would mean bad RAM rate is much higher in the Pulse!!!

...anyway let me know how you get on craigb244 - i.e. if they fix it by changing the whole mainboard (so you will get a new IMEI and serial number, but the screen etc is retained), as two other users have reported.

...at the moment in a dilemma as to whether risk it and get a mate to buy another PAYG Pulse at £99.99 and send it over to me here (but maybe I get another lemon), pay to get it repaired (could be more than PAYG Pulse price), or shell out the cash and "Upgrade" to a HTC!!! :lol:

Guest makmo1
Did the problems start when you installed 2.1? Mine did. I've returned to 1.5 and I'm still getting reboots. I think it's to do with me having a SmartSim in when I flashed it. My girlfriend's phone is fine and she doesn't use a SmartSIM :lol:

yes after I had installed 2.1, but I don't have a smartsim, so it's probably not that

Guest peter2009
Haha - a RAM issue? ...to be honest I dont see how that could be the case - as I had a rock solid phone for the first 3/4mths of usage on the original (not even Dec T-Mobile UK update ROM). I then put the Dec update on and started getting these problems - and ever since then it's been a vicious cycle which gets worse (many users with same problem report this downward spiral of the phone getting worse)...maybe coincidence I don't know, but all I know is ever since it started EVERY ROM I have tried I cannot get anything stable anymore (and is getting worse and worse as time goes by - practically unusable now as always reboots so often!)

...so either the official December Update released by Huawei/T-Mobile corrupted my phone and/or (as you were told by T-Mobile) T-Mobile/Huawei are selling goods "unfit for purpose" - i.e. dodgy or dying RAM in the phone. If this is the case I'm sure we have a good case of getting it fixed and/or a replacement - as under UK consumer law a mobile phone would surely be expected to last over a year (and mine is just over 6mths old!).

...thinking about it - the two users here who had their "main board" replaced does reconcile with the view that phones experiencing these reboot problems have dodgy RAM - as I would think it be pretty hard to extract and put in new RAM onto the phone, so replacing the whole main board with the RAM is so much easier (and hence they had new IMEI and Serial numbers on their fixed phones)!!! Hmm, also explains the INCONSISTENCY of the patterns of the reboots and also the FORCE CLOSEs I get on the phone too!!!

Anyway, thanks for your info - I might go to Huawei service centre over here with this info and see what they say (as not in UK now to take the phone back to T-Mobile).

P.S. If I were you, I'd demand a full replacement phone, or the "main board" replacement fix (esp. if only a couple months old, as even flashing ROMs shouldn't damage the RAM, or even ROM, memory - at least permanently anyway!!!). Good Luck!!! :)

Edit: Mis-read your post - so you say you're getting a replacement phone? Let me know how you get on [please :D ]. Thanks.

Hi,

first refurbished phone i got, never asked for a pin after booting up, I wasn´t able to turn off flightmodus, so I gave it directly back to the employee. On next day I got a new Pulse, and this semse to be a completly new one, not a refurbished one. Maybe I`m wrong, but it looks brand new.

This phone is finally stable, till today. Still got the original T-Mobile 1.5 firmware on it with dec-update. I´m not sure to update it again, if these will occur the problems.

By the way I´ve had the same tempreture problems with my first Pulse.

I´m from germany, maybe T-Mobile is more fair to customers than in the UK.

Edited by peter2009

Guest rx78nt1

I should read this post earlier when my phone was suffering reboots for a month... :D

My Pulse got random reboots since I flashed the 2.1

I guess it was the problem of 2.1 ROM so I flashed Stock 1.5 ROM with December update few days ago.

However it still reboots even I am running 1.5 T-Mobile stock. :)

I flashed the Hungarian update and using the Lite v2 ROM now, after I use for a few days...

App..............................How long it can survive before reboot

Browser, Facebook.........~20 minutes, sometimes it may not reboot

Fring................................within 5 minutes

Barnacle..........................~10 minutes

[email protected] shortly after video starts

Some said it may related to temperature...... I think so because it is damn hot in Hong Kong now... 33C... feels like 40C in the afternoon

1. What country was your phone purchased from ?

2. How old is it/was it when you first started getting the problem ?

3. What rom version was you using ?

4. What app(s) were running (that you know of) when it crashed ?

5. Was the device abnormally warm/hot ?

6. How often do these reboots occur ?

7. Has anyone found that the problem has been solved or disappeared (who still has the same phone :-) ?

1. I got from a Parallel Import shop in Shenzhen China (but I use it in Hong Kong)

2. After updating to 2.1

(After writing this: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...-with-pictures/ )

3. It was 1.5 T-Mobile Stock, then December update, then BigBearMDC and Paul's Pulse 2.1 ROM, few other roms, Lite v2 now

4. Facebook (sometimes), Fring, Barnacle

5. Yes

6. It does not reboot when it was standing-by but keep rebooting in worst case.

7. I dont think so

Edited by rx78nt1

Guest Koo-san

Hey rx78nt1...

...I originally started this thread when I came back to HK and started getting problems with my Pulse!!!

I'm not sure how it happened but this is the sequence of events which made me start this topic:

a) until I came back to HK in May, I didnt root or use any custom ROM

:D came back to HK and decided to root and do December Update from T-Mobile

c) started getting reboot problems

d) noticed at that time a lot of the custom 2.1 ROMs (based on the leaked source from BigBearMDC) experienced something similar - but I was only on the official December Update from T-Mobile UK, so suspected some other hardware problem

e) flashed what everyone agrees was a rock-solid and stable Modaco Custom ROM 1.7 (based on Android 1.5), and problem still exists - so indicates hardware problem

f) other users reported they notice the Pulse is usually warm/hot when we get most reboots - so suspect either a tempearture sensor or battery fault

g) user reported new battery doesnt solve problem

h) new users come forward saying they had the reboot problem and after a few times talkin with T-Mobile they finally decide to send away to their repair centre - and the phone come back with a new mainboard, and now totally NO problems!

i) so now leads me to believe that when we get these reboots, continuous rebooting when warm/hot, Force Closes which have no consistent pattern on when or which one occurs, is due to bad RAM - which can only really be replaced by changing the whole mainboard!!!

...I will also say that:

1) whatever ROM I flash (1.5 based or 2.1 based) the problem is always there

2) I get the Pulse continuous rebooting when the phone is hot (never fully boots into Android)

3) over time the problem gets worse and worse - now it will only boot fully and then when I do anything - within the first 5mins it will reboot (it is fine if I leave it in standby and doesnt reboot) - the cooler the phone the longer the period before the phone reboots!!!

Our problem is a headache because (even though I officially bought it from T-Mobile UK) I want to get it fixed locally in HK - but have no warranty here. So I need to get it fixed by paying for the repair myself.

However, I haven't found an official authorised repair centre for Huawei in HK. Another problem is that if they repair it in HK, I wonder if they will give us the correct variant of mainboard - as I understand the locally sold "U Android" the boot partitions are different to the Pulse (unless I am wrong - as I think U Android can't use Modaco Custom ROMs, and also can't use the Hungarian 2.1???). So maybe even if we get repaired in HK, we give them a Pulse and get a U Android (which is no fun if cannot have Eclair 2.1 and A2SD [like FLB-MOD]!!!)???

But at the moment cant even use it...so probably will try and "revive it". If you find any authorised official Huawei repair centre which can change the mainboard then please share!!! ...might send it back to UK for my friend to take to T-Mobile if get desperate soon!!!

Enjoy the 33C ~ 36.5C in HK!!! :)

Guest whackster

A friend of mine kept getting reboots on his pulse out of nowhere, tried flashing it and nothing worked... Finaly he took it to T-Mobile, and supposedly they changed the circuit board, which seems to have things fixed for now.

Guest peter2009
A friend of mine kept getting reboots on his pulse out of nowhere, tried flashing it and nothing worked... Finaly he took it to T-Mobile, and supposedly they changed the circuit board, which seems to have things fixed for now.

Same with my phone, had a freeze and after that the problems have begun..(right english?)

Changed my phone two times at a T-Mob store, like I said at the last post on the last page. Since that change, everything is ok, no reboot since than, hope it will go on this way.

Guest makmo1

Mine has been sent for repair, looks like they are replacing the mainboad, speaker, antenna, whole lot it seems... so I advise anyone with problems to send it back to t-mob.

Can't wait for my pulse back :)

Guest cagster
Mine has been sent for repair, looks like they are replacing the mainboad, speaker, antenna, whole lot it seems... so I advise anyone with problems to send it back to t-mob.

Can't wait for my pulse back :)

Sent mine back for repair today too.

Edited by cagster

Guest craigb244

fingers crossed to myself and everyone who has sent theirs in for repair. hopefully this bulk of phones will tell them its not software.

as of now the t-mobile site says:

08-07-2010 - 15:23 - QA failed - repair to be re-worked

08-07-2010 - 13:28 - Final Inspection awaited

08-07-2010 - 13:08 - Repair assigned to technician

08-07-2010 - 13:07 - Repair started

06-07-2010 - 13:37 - Unable to repair product

06-07-2010 - 13:37 - Received at Repair Centre

I take it they reflashed the phone and it restarted itself there and then lol

at the top it says :

Unit Received at Repair Centre - Repair Currently in Progress

Next Step: Software Upgrade

I hope they replace the board!

Guest Koo-san
fingers crossed to myself and everyone who has sent theirs in for repair. hopefully this bulk of phones will tell them its not software.

I take it they reflashed the phone and it restarted itself there and then lol

at the top it says :

Unit Received at Repair Centre - Repair Currently in Progress

Next Step: Software Upgrade

I hope they replace the board!

Thanks for the feedback craigb244 :)

I was just wondering what's the procedure? Do you just go into the T-Mobile Uk store and show them the phone rebooting, as well as explaining the whole problem to them? And then they immediately take it in for repairs?

I'm planning to get mine sent in for the main board to replaced (under warranty) too!!! :D

Guest craigb244

they where unhelpful in store.

so i rang t-mobile themselves.

told them i had reflashed the phone plenty of times without luck and its obviously a hardware problem

I told them it gets VERY hot at times and then they agreed it is a hardware problem (im guessing the last thing they want is a claim for their phone causing burns or a fire :D)

they sent out a prepaid padded envelope that i got within 24hours

I made it obvious i was not happy (I really wanted a replacement as ive only had the phone 2weeks) I said that i wouldnt stop my contract but if the phone comes back and its not perfect ill just keep sending it back to them and claiming refund for the time im without a phone.

guy on the phone spoke to the manager who agreed to get the phone pushed thru asap :)

Guest psionandy
Thanks for the feedback craigb244 :)

I was just wondering what's the procedure? Do you just go into the T-Mobile Uk store and show them the phone rebooting, as well as explaining the whole problem to them? And then they immediately take it in for repairs?

I'm planning to get mine sent in for the main board to replaced (under warranty) too!!! :D

Thats excactly what I did....

Guest jtorry

I got my Pulse last week and updated with 2.1. I also unlocked it. I'm now getting reboots using the web browser, YouTube and also a Twitter app. If I take it in for a repair with it come back locked again?

Guest makmo1
I got my Pulse last week and updated with 2.1. I also unlocked it. I'm now getting reboots using the web browser, YouTube and also a Twitter app. If I take it in for a repair with it come back locked again?

I think so if they replace the board :). I'm in the same boat, waiting for mine to be repaired.

My repair has QA failed too, great...:

09-07-2010 - 16:14 - Repair in progress with technician

09-07-2010 - 16:12 - Full test awaited

08-07-2010 - 15:42 - QA failed - repair to be re-worked

Guest craigb244

update:

12-07-2010 - 06:47 - Repair completed

10-07-2010 - 08:33 - Final Inspection awaited

09-07-2010 - 16:34 - Repair in progress with technician

09-07-2010 - 16:32 - Full test awaited

No mention of any parts been replaced :)

status has changed to "Repair Completed - Being Prepared for Shipping"

Ill be able to tell if the phone has even been opened as the warranty seal on the phone had a mark on it

I bet my right ball that it comes back to me untouched....

Edited by craigb244

Guest craigb244

Bad news:

just checked and its now in the post.

On the site it has a link to the report (copy of the form that will come with the phone when i get it)

It says that they reinstalled the firmware.

made a call. run a few apps. and found no problem!!! :) :D

looks like T-Mobile will be getting an angry call tomorrow. ive had to have a week without a phone (which i have to pay for) just for some twat to take a week to reinstall the firmware which i did myself many times... infact i had reinstalled the firmware and not even booted it when i posted it.

Guest cagster
infact i had reinstalled the firmware and not even booted it when i posted it.

Thats what i did - i asked the chap to state that the firmware has been reinstalled and does not solve the problem - i suspect the do the re-install firmware first - and only change the hardware on a second return. The way i see it is they have 3 chances to change the hardware and fix - by t-mobiles admission they have an policy of replacing the handset after this.

Its hassle - but I suppose you get what you pay for.

Edited by cagster

Guest craigb244
Its hassle - but I suppose you get what you pay for.

I dont understand what you mean by that.

even if a item costs 10p. it MUST be fit for the purpose you paid the 10p for.

I dobut you would get any better service whether its a free mobile from t-mobile or a 400+ pound I-phone

ANYWAY: Got phone back this morning. phone restarted on the tap android to start screen!

phoned them back up and they said they will send out another package to have it looked at again.

they also said that if they find nothing wrong with it on there tests again, they can just send it back again and can charge me for it!!!

Lets just say... if it dont come back fixed this time... ill be getting intouch with watchdog

Guest Koo-san
...even if a item costs 10p. it MUST be fit for the purpose you paid the 10p for.

they also said that if they find nothing wrong with it on there tests again, they can just send it back again and can charge me for it!!!

Lets just say... if it dont come back fixed this time... ill be getting intouch with watchdog

Agreed. Under consumer law you are totaly within your rights!!! Plus the fact others have had their Pulses mainboards changed to totally resolve the problem - which IMO is like getting a totally new phone (in fact probably cheaper from TMo to do that!).

Good Luck!!!

Guest cagster
I dont understand what you mean by that.

even if a item costs 10p. it MUST be fit for the purpose you paid the 10p for.

What i meant was the phone is cheap and quality control is probably poor - anyway totally agree - if its not fit for purpose then you are actually entitled to a refund. BTW - trading standards would take this up.

I expect mine to come back with no motherboard changed.

I can easily demonstrate the problem - leave sat nav on for 10 mins and there is a guraranteed reboot :angry:.

I will send it back 3 times (which I am resigned to doing) after that, assuming they dont fix it, I will ask for a brand new pulse or refund.

Edited by cagster