Random reboots on stock/official carrier ROM(s) - symptoms exactly like with BETA 2.1 ROMs!!!

Guest Koo-san

Guest makmo1
What i meant was the phone is cheap and quality control is probably poor - anyway totally agree - if its not fit for purpose then you are actually entitled to a refund. BTW - trading standards would take this up.

I expect mine to come back with no motherboard changed.

I can easily demonstrate the problem - leave sat nav on for 10 mins and there is a guraranteed reboot :angry:.

I will send it back 3 times (which I am resigned to doing) after that, assuming they dont fix it, I will ask for a brand new pulse or refund.

Did you tell them how to replicate the fault? I sent some messages to them to prompt them that it wasn't just a software problem as it had the default software installed. and that it would reboot after about 5 minutes internet use/heavy cpu use. Hopefully you get someone who can do their job this time.

Guest cagster
Did you tell them how to replicate the fault? I sent some messages to them to prompt them that it wasn't just a software problem as it had the default software installed. and that it would reboot after about 5 minutes internet use/heavy cpu use. Hopefully you get someone who can do their job this time.

I said to the guy in the shop that this is not software related as i have reinstalled the december update and the problem exists when using the internet or sat nav.

For me it can take 20 mins off web browsing or more - didnt focus on sat nav as i didnt reinstall it and didnt want them to focus on the particular software which them could claim is faulty.

Its ready for collection - their tracker online didnt work for me - so I wait tol see what the report says at lunch time when i collect it. It only took 12 days so its highly unlikely they did anything meaningful.

Question someone may be able to help me with - 1. If I post it for repair myself - is the procedure that I can add my own problem report (rather than relying on the shop assistant or call centre to accuartley type the problem i am trying to report ) ?

2. Can I request postage bag so I post this off myself even though i purchased this through a t-mobile store ?

Will report back later

Thanks

Guest makmo1
I said to the guy in the shop that this is not software related as i have reinstalled the december update and the problem exists when using the internet or sat nav.

For me it can take 20 mins off web browsing or more - didnt focus on sat nav as i didnt reinstall it and didnt want them to focus on the particular software which them could claim is faulty.

Its ready for collection - their tracker online didnt work for me - so I wait tol see what the report says at lunch time when i collect it. It only took 12 days so its highly unlikely they did anything meaningful.

Question someone may be able to help me with - 1. If I post it for repair myself - is the procedure that I can add my own problem report (rather than relying on the shop assistant or call centre to accuartley type the problem i am trying to report ) ?

2. Can I request postage bag so I post this off myself even though i purchased this through a t-mobile store ?

Will report back later

Thanks

I wrote a note and placed it in the package telling them the fault in more detail and how to replicate. When they send you a packet they book it into their system with fault information, which is normally brief. That is why I sent a note too. Not sure about 2. Good luck.

Mine is back now, and working, I fear it will have the same problem again so I am going to use it a often so that if it breaks it is before warranty =].

Guest cagster
I wrote a note and placed it in the package telling them the fault in more detail and how to replicate. When they send you a packet they book it into their system with fault information, which is normally brief. That is why I sent a note too. Not sure about 2. Good luck.

Mine is back now, and working, I fear it will have the same problem again so I am going to use it a often so that if it breaks it is before warranty =].

Well it came back with new battery, software reinstalled (1.5 dec updated - i had just done that before i retured it) or "updated" in their terms.

UPDATE - Rebooted afer 30 mins use - returning back tomorrow.

I dont kmow whther anyone who has had the board replaced would be prepared to give me some details which i could send to link to their replacement - like the tmobile repair reference or old IMEI number (on the tmobile phone box) of their board which was replaced or failing that their mobile number. If anyone can help i be grateful if you could send me a PM. You would think that by now tmobile must recognise there is a problem with these phones.

Edited by cagster

Guest cagster

I just read that you can track your repair status at http://extranet.sbe-ltd.co.uk/enduser/index.php - i had being trying under mytombile repairs link but nothing showed up (spoke to the store and they didnt know why i couldnt track my repair).

Anyway i checked what was recorded about my phone and it had an SBE fault of "battery - battery life short" - There was absolutley no problem with battery life at all. The mobile repair company tmobile use is simply shite.

Edited by cagster

Guest craigb244

I sent a nasty letter to t-mobile after i received my phone with the same faults.

got call within hours.

refunded me a months contract and said they will fix it this time,

we will see.

I also printed off a note i stuck to the phone when i sent it off.

told them the problem. the fact i reflashed it X amount of times from X computers.

and how to get it to crash.

Actually I forgot to mention, as i put the phone into the packaging, i noticed that the little warranty sticker over the screw was missing! so they did open the phone!

ALSO the bottom left screw was half out and all the screws where a bit chewed up.

I think that even if i get the phone back fixed im going to throw a wobbly about it just to get another refund and a new phone...

Guest Koo-san
I dont kmow whther anyone who has had the board replaced would be prepared to give me some details which i could send to link to their replacement - like the tmobile repair reference or old IMEI number (on the tmobile phone box) of their board which was replaced or failing that their mobile number. If anyone can help i be grateful if you could send me a PM. You would think that by now tmobile must recognise there is a problem with these phones.

Dont know if you read this by SLo5 (who didnt have reboot problem but phone wouldnt start and couldnt be flashed!!!): http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...e/#entry1350812

Maybe he/she could shed some light on how to get the envelope etc.

Keep us posted - as I have yet to send mine for repairs (still with me here abroad!!!)

Edited by Koo-san

Guest craigb244

phone arrived at repair centre yesterday. today it was assigned to a technician and now its undergoing software update.... oh goodie!!!

Guest cagster
I sent a nasty letter to t-mobile after i received my phone with the same faults.

got call within hours.

refunded me a months contract and said they will fix it this time,

we will see.

I also printed off a note i stuck to the phone when i sent it off.

told them the problem. the fact i reflashed it X amount of times from X computers.

and how to get it to crash.

Actually I forgot to mention, as i put the phone into the packaging, i noticed that the little warranty sticker over the screw was missing! so they did open the phone!

ALSO the bottom left screw was half out and all the screws where a bit chewed up.

I think that even if i get the phone back fixed im going to throw a wobbly about it just to get another refund and a new phone...

Sent back with printed note - clearly stating why I believe it is a hardware problem (and not battery or software related) stating that the problem occurs after 25 to 35 mins use - I.E. It will not happen straight away in a couple of quick tests. The branch put a comment on asking them to replace the handset if they can.

Will let you know the outcome.

Guest peter_c

Bah, add mine to the list. :(

It's been rock solid for the last 6 months, running the stock 1.5 and December update.

Then in the last week and a bit it's gone crazy, rebooting whenever it feels like. When it happens, sometimes it'll get as far as the home screen before happening again, other times it'll just loop between the T-mobile logo and Android. The only way to stop it is to leave the battery out for a good while.

There's no pattern to it at all, such as a lot of apps running or heavy CPU usage. It's happened whilst playing different games, browsing the web, downloading from market, even when just deleting an SMS with nothing else running in the background. Neither the phone nor the battery seem unusually warm when it happens. No new apps had been installed which might have caused it, I even uninstalled a few in case the memory was a bit low, but that didn't make any difference.

I've dropped it off at the shop and tried to explain it's no good the engineer just installing the "latest software" as they thought the problem might be that and switching it on, so I hope they take a proper look at it!

Guest eager_b

Just sent mine in too. In my case it's definitely related to temperature, if I use the phone outdoors in the sun it starts rebooting as soon as it warms up. 10 minutes in the fridge and it is right as rain again :( Some apps like Facebook are a heavier CPU load = more battery power needed = battery gets warm = reboot.

The shop guy has written "phone stops working when in a heated environment it will reboot itself" so we'll see what happens...

Guest cagster

My Status is now

Received at Repair Centre - Repair Currently in Progress

Next Step: Software Upgrade

GOD - I hope this is the standard default workflow that is displayed on the support page AND they wont seriously just reflash it again after the detailed note I left stating why i believe this is not a software problem. Does anyone know is the 'Next Step: Software Upgrade' a standard message ?

Guest Simon O
My Status is now

Received at Repair Centre - Repair Currently in Progress

GOD - I hope this is the standard default workflow that is displayed on the support page AND they wont seriously just reflash it again after the detailed note I left stating why i believe this is not a software problem. Does anyone know is the 'Next Step: Software Upgrade' a standard message ?

Having worked in tech support myself in the past you will be surprised that a lot of customers claim to have tried various fixes when they haven't actually done anything. It's usually said in an attempt to get a brand new replacement product instead of a repair. So naturally the technicians will do all the basic checks first and if they don't work they will start looking at the hardware side.

I worked for The Tech Guys and remember one guy absolutely adamant he did everything to try and make his PC work. Only he didn't actually check to plug it into the power socket....

Guest craigb244

expecting mine in the post in the next couple of hours.

and... its had the board replaced!

btw mine said on the site

for ages. but if they are replacing the board then i guess the next stop would be a software upgrade!

best thing to do it wrap the phone in a letter explaining everthing, as t-mobile just give a basic description that is usually far from what you said

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cagster
****FIXED**** wooops reboot free all day with a lot of hard use. its MUCH faster too!!!

Been on hols - new IEMI so looks like my board has been replaced - picking up tomorrow - hope that has cured the problem.

Guest cagster
Just picked mine up, another one where the fix is "Replacement main board".

Just picked it up - the board was not replaced - my father in law who i asked to check the repair tracker online while i was on holiday aboard must have got mixed up.

I used the internet on 3G on way home and went off within 30 seconds. Then again within 60 seconds. Its a joke - As I said this is the second time I sent it off - this time with a letter explaining when this problem occurs and the shop added a comment asking to replace unit. I really dont think t-mobile repairs give the phone much of a test - probably one phone call - one hit on a web page - and a reflash - GREAT thanks.

Can anyone in the UK who has had the same problem with board replaced give me their repair no so I can mention the problem as being the same. Maybe Peter ?

Craigb244 - where did you send your complaint letter too ?

All I think i can do is 1. Go to shop and send off for repair again - with updated letter. 2. Try and demo it in the shop.

3. Send letter of complaint to t-mobile demanding replacement or refund as its not fit for purporse. 4. If they dont get the message - contact my credit card company and request they take it up.

TMOBILES repair service from my perspective is {unprintable expletive} - Mightly Pi**ed off.

H E L P

Edited by cagster

Guest eager_b

Just sent mine back for the second time, also with a long note explaining what the fault is and how to reproduce it. The first repair attempt came back with (surprise) "no fault found". I agree, they probably test for all of 30 seconds, in my case it takes 5-10 minutes for the phone to reboot, depending on how warm it is.

The second time, I tried to demo the problem to the shop staff but of course it wouldn't do it (cold day). At present the tracker says "awaiting software upgrade".

Incidentally, it's interesting that the repair centre is still "upgrading" phones with 1.5, even though 2.1 has been officially released :D

Edited by eager_b

Guest cagster
Incidentally, it's interesting that the repair centre is still "upgrading" phones with 1.5, even though 2.1 has been officially released :D

Yes - I have upgraded it to the offical tmobile uk 2.1 (of course the problem still remains). So that may stump them when they find they cannot "upgrade" it to dec 1.5 ver.

Anyway the 3rd time is the last time I am prepared to send it for repair - i will ensure I demo the problem in the shop and if they dont replace the board this time - i will contact my credit card company to get a refund - this is beyond a joke.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after getting a repair (replaced main board) through t-mob, my pulse has decided to break again after about 1 month with exactly the same problem, rebooting when it gets hot using 3g. :@

Guest cagster
Well after getting a repair (replaced main board) through t-mob, my pulse has decided to break again after about 1 month with exactly the same problem, rebooting when it gets hot using 3g. :@

Not a good sign. There is clearly a bad batch or a design fault. Whats your phones IMEI number (i can see if its similar batch to my replacement). The fact that the spare boards have problems is the last thing we need in the UK. In my opinion t-mobile should offer you a refund - at this rate we will have spent as much time with the phone not working as with it working. Please let us know how you get on.

Anyone else with board replaced had a problem with the replacement?

As for my saga - after the 3rd time in for repair and tmobile undertaking there "escalation" procedure the board has finally been replaced today and has been dispatched back to store. So will pick it up on Wednesday I guess.

Not a good sign. There is clearly a bad batch or a design fault. Whats your phones IMEI number (i can see if its similar batch to my replacement). The fact that the spare boards have problems is the last thing we need in the UK. In my opinion t-mobile should offer you a refund - at this rate we will have spent as much time with the phone not working as with it working. Please let us know how you get on.

Anyone else with board replaced had a problem with the replacement?

As for my saga - after the 3rd time in for repair and tmobile undertaking there "escalation" procedure the board has finally been replaced today and has been dispatched back to store. So will pick it up on Wednesday I guess.

Last time mine got worse and worse to the point it would restart within 5 minutes. So far the most it restarted in a day is 3 times (stock software, dec update). I'm going to heavily use it so it gets to that point again before bringing it to t-mob. That way they definitely can replicate the problem. I will report in with updates though.

Edited by makmo1

Guest Simon O
Last time mine got worse and worse to the point it would restart within 5 minutes. So far the most it restarted in a day is 3 times (stock software, dec update). I'm going to heavily use it so it gets to that point again before bringing it to t-mob. That way they definitely can replicate the problem. I will report in with updates though.

You might want to remove that IMEI number.

Edited by flibblesan