TelstraMod1 - Revision 5

Guest Muskie

Guest Muskie
I still don't get why you don't just make a small update.zip file that updates the files on anyone's rom.

I assume they are all in the same place and its only the ID's your replacing.

I always have, those were the Kitchen files.

There was a slight problem with the 3.5 version, but I think I've gotten that fixed now. I'll upload it now.

Guest Muskie

Ugh... I've been looking at the Stuff I need to do to change the UAStrings, etc for 2.2. Basically? I'd have to recompile the browser apk from the source code!

I honestly only have a fleeting knowledge of java, and I really wouldn't be able to pull this off..

I may have to wait until an official release of 2.2.. Hopefully the /system/customize folder comes back. ;)

Guest mitrix

Hi muskie.

Wondering if you can help me understand what I'm doing wrong. I've successfully rooted my desire and have tried out both your 3.1 and 3.5 roms using rom manager or fake flash to install them and no matter what, I can't get on the telstra wap sites to check my usage.

For every rom I've installed I have done a full wipe and wiped the cache as well. Is there something I'm missing?

My phone currently has this info

Baseband version

32.36.00.2U_4.06.00.02_2

kernel

2.6.29-bravo-mck-r1

build

1.21.MCR.2

Modaco custom rom 3.1 Telstra mod (I changed to a froyo build but had problems with wifi not working and changed back quickly to the old rom by mistake and haven't bothered fixing it yet.)

Hope you can help and thanks for all your work ;)

Mitch

Guest Muskie

1: Check your APN settings.

it should be thus:

APN: telstra.internet

Proxy: 10.1.1.181

Port: 80

MCC: 505

MNC: 01

Auth Type: CHAP

APN Type: default

Also, could you check www.whatsmyuseragent.com and tell me what it says?

Edited by Muskie

Guest mitrix
1: Check your APN settings.

it should be thus:

APN: telstra.internet

Proxy: 10.1.1.181

Port: 80

MCC: 505

MNC: 01

Auth Type: CHAP

APN Type: default

Also, could you check www.whatsmyuseragent.com and tell me what it says?

Muskie your an absolute legend!

Somehow all my apn settings were gone, I just had Telstra.wap and that was it.

Now I can check my usage and I'm even using a froyo build at the moment.

Only thing now is to fix the market issues I'm having with missing apps and I'm done.

;)

Guest Silvarbullit
Ugh... I've been looking at the Stuff I need to do to change the UAStrings, etc for 2.2. Basically? I'd have to recompile the browser apk from the source code!

I honestly only have a fleeting knowledge of java, and I really wouldn't be able to pull this off..

I may have to wait until an official release of 2.2.. Hopefully the /system/customize folder comes back. :lol:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=686760

http://www.absolutelyandroid.com/guide-hul...roid-2-2-froyo/

Do either of those help? I.e. setting the UA to iPhone (which is a valid telstra handset) make the various telstra services work with Froyo?

Guest Muskie

Nope. it knows it's an Android based handset. besides, if it used the iphone setup, it would go onto the iphone app store,w hich would download incompatible apps.

Guest fatwolf
Nope. it knows it's an Android based handset. besides, if it used the iphone setup, it would go onto the iphone app store,w hich would download incompatible apps.

Does anyone have the APK files for the Telstra software from the standard rom to be loaded onto a custom rom?

Guest sub27

Found out my rebooting issue was due to the phone overheating whenever the 3G was being hammered, its gone back to telstra, unfortunately they wouldnt replace it on the spot.

Guest ozmale

Hello guys,

I am keen (well I think I am) to "root" my Telstra HTC Desire.

I have read and read stuff in this forum and there is still some things i dont understand.

Does "rooting" remove/destroy the existing Telstra Rom ?

If so can this ROM be put back ?

My Phone Details :-

Hboot 0.75

Radio 4.05.00.11

ROM 1.16.841.1

(do you need to know anything else?)

So what is the best guide to follow. In a previous message I was told I needed to follow "rx-desire-root-alt" but I dont really understand what that is.

Chris

P.S. If someone lives in Sydney, knows what they are doing, and wants to make $20 I am happy to pay them to perform the "rooting process for me.

Guest Muskie

Yes, it deletes the Telstra ROM.

Yes, you CAN now replace the ROM with the original and downgrade the bootloader, however this requires knowledge not avaiable here, look on the forums, and use the search function.

Follow the tutorial on making a gold card, which is linked to in the Rooting Guide, which is stickied in this very forum.

Follow the Rooting guide. Use the link described in THIS Quote:

- ONLY if the above download is not suitable - if you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire) / MIRROR (ROMraid / CoBlitz) - MD5: eb2ed5bca1334cacd70e4720f5b29960

Follow the rest of the guide to the letter. itis reccommended you use Linux or a 32 bit version of windows.

Edited by Muskie

Guest ozmale
Yes, it deletes the Telstra ROM.

Yes, you CAN now replace the ROM with the original and downgrade the bootloader, however this requires knowledge not avaiable here, look on the forums, and use the search function.

Follow the tutorial on making a gold card, which is linked to in the Rooting Guide, which is stickied in this very forum.

Follow the Rooting guide. Use the link described in THIS Quote:

Follow the rest of the guide to the letter. itis reccommended you use Linux or a 32 bit version of windows.

Thanks heaps for that.

I have made the "Gold Card". Well I think I have. Followed the process and did not have any errors or problems.

Just 2 more question before I start the "rooting" process. There have been some posts about a Telstra Desire GPS problem, Do i have to be concerned about that with this process ?

Does this ROM have the "Apps2SD" function included or do I add it later ?

Chris

Edited by ozmale

Guest Muskie

The GPS problem was fixed months ago.

This ROM does not have Apps2SD. ad i have previously said, this is MCR3.1 Without additions. if you would like A2SD, I'd recommend getting a Modaco Plus Account and using the kitchen (adding the kitchen files yourself) or downloading the version with A2SD, adding the kitche files yourself, and resigning the app.

Guest Muskie

UPDATE:

Looks like The /system/customize folder is HTC Sense only.

I'm working on a 2.2 ROM based on DJDroid 1.0 as we speak.

Watch this space. :)

Guest ozmale
UPDATE:

Looks like The /system/customize folder is HTC Sense only.

I'm working on a 2.2 ROM based on DJDroid 1.0 as we speak.

Watch this space. :)

Muskie

I am not sure if your quote above was meant for me or not.

I will wait for you next post "Watch this space" to hear what you have to say.

Many thanks.

Chris

Guest mitrix

Good to hear about the Froyo rom muskie. Can't wait!

Will you also be releasing kitchen files or an update.zip that will be compatible with whatever Paul releases?

So tempted to try dj droid but I think I might wait it out for a little bit

Guest vidler

gday Muskie, having some issues loading your update, I have made my gold card, rooted successfully with modaco's tips from here, downloaded your telstra mod. Have tried a couple of time's to apply it, but unsure where I'm meant to put your zip folder. Do i unzip it to a fresh goldcard, or unzip it to the existing goldcard with modaco's rom still installed? Any further detail you could provide would be awesome. Failing that I'm in perth so possibly you could assist me.

Cheers, Jay

Guest h0mer_
but unsure where I'm meant to put your zip folder. Do i unzip it to a fresh goldcard, or unzip it to the existing goldcard with modaco's rom still installed? Any further detail you could provide would be awesome.

Don't unzip or rename these roms, as it will break the signing function of the flashing process, and consequently stall the flash process.

Download "ROM manager" off the market place, and once installed on your phone go into the apps menu and let it do the 'ClockworkMod Recovery' update.

Ensure the zip file of the rom you want to install is located on the root of your sd card.

Start up the 'Rom Manager' app, then start up its Recovery Console. This is subtly different from the native Android Recovery Console, and will allow you to navigate your sd card and point to the rom file that you want to use. Point to note here is that the app uses the menu button click to select an option, not the power button that is used when using the native recovery console.

Does that help?

Guest vidler
Don't unzip or rename these roms, as it will break the signing function of the flashing process, and consequently stall the flash process.

Download "ROM manager" off the market place, and once installed on your phone go into the apps menu and let it do the 'ClockworkMod Recovery' update.

Ensure the zip file of the rom you want to install is located on the root of your sd card.

Start up the 'Rom Manager' app, then start up its Recovery Console. This is subtly different from the native Android Recovery Console, and will allow you to navigate your sd card and point to the rom file that you want to use. Point to note here is that the app uses the menu button click to select an option, not the power button that is used when using the native recovery console.

Does that help?

Will find out soon. Have dowloaded the ROM manager, just have to google how to get the rom installed on the root of my SD card.

Cheers

Guest vidler

so far so good. Just applying it now once i sussed out the process involved.... Will check if phone is presenting itself as an A8183 when i reboot. Thanks for your help guys and keep up the good work!

Guest h0mer_
just have to google how to get the rom installed on the root of my SD card.

On the off chance someone else reads through the thread looking for this part of the puzzle, all that's needed is to copy it to the sd card via either a usb adapter or sd card adaptor into a laptop/pc or with the phone tethered to the computer via its usb cable.

Good to hear you've got it rooted and the rom loaded :)

You may need to enter the correct Telstra APN Internet and MMS settings into the phone to get it to access the Telstra account pages, if it doesn't work??

Guest vidler
You may need to enter the correct Telstra APN Internet and MMS settings into the phone to get it to access the Telstra account pages, if it doesn't work??

Successfully loaded this ROM, phone is now reporting as A8183, updated my APN names to access my data usage, can send and receive MMS, however when i attach a pic to the mms it shrinks it to 14KB. Is there a fix for this?

Also, phone memory before the MCR Telstra Mod was 125mb, now down to 70mb. Am i meant to wipe the original root i did using the goldcard or is 70mb normal after the telstra mod?

Guest vidler

maybe also worth noting that according to the speedtest.net app, my download rate is 2.45Mbps and upload 1.05Mbps. This seems to be about my average. Very happy with this as its matching my prepaid telstra usb.

Guest ozmale

Guys,

I have not yet rooted my Telstra HTC Desire, Still getting up the guts, but will do. However prior to rooting it I have some how managed to extract all the built in Standard Telstra Apps (apk's) e.g. foxtel. there are also the "odex" files (whatever they are).

In Zipped for the apk's are about 35meg.

Telstra HTC Desire Builtin apps

I have no idea if these are of any use to anyone but I am genuinely trying to help in this forum and thought they were worth mentioning.

Chris

Edited by ozmale