Pulse 2.1 Lite ROM

Guest Jan M
As far as i know, you have to modify the script for the pulse. Since the system partition is not mtdblock3. I think its mtdblock1.

I knew I wanted to change something before running...but it ran fine anyway...I did do an adb remount beforehand though.

I can help out :(

Graphics, etc

That would be really great - what sort of things were you thinking? Space-wise I don't know if you can get the framework much smaller - but a sleek, minimalist framework/icon set would fit the ideals of the ROM very nicely ;-) Same for the boot animation.

Wallpapers would be good - they appear twice in the ROM, which is cheeky, both within the Launcher.apk and in the media/hw_image/wallpaper folder. I've found that if you just delete them from the latter you end up with a wallpaper gallery with empty spaces, which looks crummy, so I was thinking about creating plain wallpapers (just a background colour really) and replacing them to save a megabyte or two, but obviously anything better would be great.

So yeah, as much or as little as you want really!

/system is mounted read-only for normal operations. Free space on /system is wasted space.

Free space on /system is space that you can use to move stuff from /data, no? The intention isn't to just delete a bunch of stuff from /system for no reason, the intention is to provide usable space.

Edited by Guest

Guest Epic-Emodude
That would be really great - what sort of things were you thinking? Space-wise I don't know if you can get the framework much smaller - but a sleek, minimalist framework/icon set would fit the ideals of the ROM very nicely ;-) Same for the boot animation.

Wallpapers would be good - they appear twice in the ROM, which is cheeky, both within the Launcher.apk and in the media/hw_image/wallpaper folder. I've found that if you just delete them from the latter you end up with a wallpaper gallery with empty spaces, which looks crummy, so I was thinking about creating plain wallpapers (just a background colour really) and replacing them to save a megabyte or two, but obviously anything better would be great.

With regards to the empty wallpaper spaces would there not be a line of code somewhere that can be changed or something?

With regards to the empty wallpaper spaces would there not be a line of code somewhere that can be changed or something?

That was my first thought as well, but either my google-fu is weak or there isn't a lot of documentation on this.

My ideal would be that we replace wallpaper1.jpg (which is the default T-Mo carbon fibre jobby) with a nice custom one, and delete the rest provided we can also delete their boxes in the gallery. In fact I'd say that the whole wallpaper gallery could come out (i.e. when people select a new wallpaper they only get offered pictures). But I can't find what to change to make that happen, whereas I could create seven new wallpapers which take up less space.

Guest Richard_Arkless

Ive started something like this like a week ago

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...vanilla-rom-v6/

Its a good starting point, most apps are vanilla so is less bloated than the tmobile type roms

im currently working on v7 which im gonna hold off releasing until I hit a milestone (50mb rom size, currently on 55.8mb with quite a few apps in data, guess ill start to remove apps from data to get closer to the 50mb mark)

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Voice search i think is really just a gimmick i dont think it needs to be in.

Dan

Yeah, I think that's probably a good call. I left it in because it enables you to have voice control in Navigation - which I can see being genuinely useful (as you're driving and need your hands free), but I'm open to persuasion there! It would certainly be a big space saving, which is in line with what we're doing here.

As a general comment to the thread, post 3 is now a to-do list. The first list is of things that I will do in the next build version, the second is of things that are on the radar to definitely do at some point but not for this version, and the third is of things that may or may not get done. All suggestions, additions, deletions, moves etc. more than welcome.

Ive started something like this like a week ago

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...vanilla-rom-v6/

Its a good starting point, most apps are vanilla so is less bloated than the tmobile type roms

im currently working on v7 which im gonna hold off releasing until I hit a milestone (50mb rom size, currently on 55.8mb with quite a few apps in data, guess ill start to remove apps from data to get closer to the 50mb mark)

Hi Richard - I was using your ROM pre-2.1 and thought it was great, but I got a bit lost post-2.1. Good to have you on board!

Edited by Guest

Guest Epic-Emodude

I just looked at the wiki trying to find out how to use ADB and it says:

Linux users will need to add a "udev" rule as described in the SDK documentation. Make sure you use the Pulse's Device and Product IDs rather than the ones Google provide. Simply create the file /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules (as root or superuser), and add the following, and then reboot.

Could someone please tell me how to do this

Thanx

Aaron

Guest Josh04

Free space on /system is space that you can use to move stuff from /data, no? The intention isn't to just delete a bunch of stuff from /system for no reason, the intention is to provide usable space.

Yes, but you can't move anything which needs to be writable.

Yes, but you can't move anything which needs to be writable.

No, agreed, there's a limit to how much you can do in the ROM itself. But releasing a version with as much free space as possible also allows people to push whatever apps they want to /system - for example I like to use Docs To Go, but it costs 7mb+ of space and space is limited on the 2.1 ROMs. If we can free up 7mb of space in the basic Lite ROM then I can build one with D2G on /system for "free".

Guest Rem1x

I'm not too keen on making new frameworks,but I can give it a try. Wallpapers will be fun to do, and I can make a custom bootscreen, and make sure it's nice and light!

Guest jmmL
I just looked at the wiki trying to find out how to use ADB and it says:

Could someone please tell me how to do this

Thanx

Aaron

The easiest way is just to run everything as superuser. Eg.

sudo adb shell

That should work around the need to add udev rules.

Guest Epic-Emodude
The easiest way is just to run everything as superuser. Eg.
sudo adb shell
That should work around the need to add udev rules.
Ive navigated to the sdk tools and typed in
Sudo ./adb devices
and it returns
*daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

List of devices attached

????????????	  devices

I have USB debugging enabled.

Guest Richard_Arkless
/system is mounted read-only for normal operations. Free space on /system is wasted space.

I agree but I was thinking what if huawei released a later version of 1.5 we could upgrade to that and this would move the system folder back to 85-90mb, if this succeeds and kicks off then we could have 2.1 running on a 1.5 partition structure meaning more space in data

Guest Jan M
I agree but I was thinking what if huawei released a later version of 1.5 we could upgrade to that and this would move the system folder back to 85-90mb, if this succeeds and kicks off then we could have 2.1 running on a 1.5 partition structure meaning more space in data

huh?

Guest Richard_Arkless
huh?

Sorry im still pretty tired, Let me re-phrase that, If huawei released a newer version of 1.5 us official 2.1 users could upgrade to that and then flash a custom 2.1 rom and if we manage to make the system size of the rom smaller we could get it to fit in the 1.5 partition layout and potentially have more space for data

either this or move stuff from data to system but at the end of the day this wont work because there will always be app updates and it wont overwrite the system version but will have another version of it in data

Guest Stevos
That was my first thought as well, but either my google-fu is weak or there isn't a lot of documentation on this.

My ideal would be that we replace wallpaper1.jpg (which is the default T-Mo carbon fibre jobby) with a nice custom one, and delete the rest provided we can also delete their boxes in the gallery. In fact I'd say that the whole wallpaper gallery could come out (i.e. when people select a new wallpaper they only get offered pictures). But I can't find what to change to make that happen, whereas I could create seven new wallpapers which take up less space.

I've been trying to figure out how to do this as well. We may have to just replace them with plain small files in the end.

Have you taken a look at /system/media/audio ? There's quite a lot of unnecessary audio in there which could probably be taken out to clear space for apps. I'm guessing only one alarm / notification / ringtone needs to be present, then use tones from the SD card per user choice. Not sure if the audio removal will lead to similar probs to the wallpapers...

Guest Jan M

aside from putting manually-installed apps into /system, odexing (and therefore clearing /data/dalvik-cache) of the system@app files is also a way of freeing space on /data...

original RBMr6b (removed astro and moved Maps.apk to /system/sd/app):

Filesystem				Size	  Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/block/mtdblock1	110.0M	 99.4M	 10.6M  90% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock2	 80.3M	 38.8M	 41.5M  48% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock3	 20.0M	  1.1M	 18.9M   6% /cache

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2	465.3M	  6.1M	435.1M   1% /system/sd
after running Paul's odex script:
Filesystem				Size	  Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/block/mtdblock1	110.0M	104.5M	  5.5M  95% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock2	 80.3M	 19.1M	 61.2M  24% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock3	 20.0M	  1.1M	 18.9M   6% /cache

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2	465.3M	  6.1M	435.1M   1% /system/sd

Guest Stevos

That's a good saving. Can you link to the odex script please - I saw one for the hero, but there was a suggestion it needed modifying for the pulse

v1 uploaded - see the first post. Changelog and to-do lists updated in posts two and three as well.

A pretty decent chunk of space got freed up by all of our original changes. I have been running this for a little while with no apparent problems, but will keep digging around this evening to see if it breaks. There are still a good few apps that could be culled/switched out, in my view, and then we're into things like the custom graphics. So I'd guess there's a little way to go yet.

Guest Jan M
That's a good saving. Can you link to the odex script please - I saw one for the hero, but there was a suggestion it needed modifying for the pulse

I used the Hero one...just did an 'adb remount' beforehand to allow writing to the system (the Hero has the system partition elsewhere but that doesn't matter)

Guest Epic-Emodude

Hi,

Ive downloaded the v1. I unziped it changed the bootanimation.zip and reziped it. I signed it using androsign and flashed it.

E: Can't open /sdcard/update-signed.zip

(bad)

Installation aborted

Is this because it hasnt signed properly. If so how do people usually sign roms? note im using linux, but do have access to a windows PC.

Thanx

Aaron