Pulse 2.1 Lite ROM

Guest jonuwz
I am going to test deleting HwTheme_work HWDrmAPP and HuaweiSyncClien .apks

Do you know what these do so i can look for anything going wrong?

Thanx

Aaron

HwTheme_work : is a theme you can apply if you are using the canvas launcher

HWDrmAPP : there's already the standard DRMProvider.apk. This is probably a helper app for HW applications - there's no drawables in the apk.

HuaweiSyncClient: Is there an app in the standard 2.1 rom with 2 blue and orange arrows in a circle ?

DMClient : is a software updater - mentioned in /system/cust/apk_name_need_to_disable.xml (so looks like it can be removed)

com.huawei.android.ds / com.huawei.android.sfp always show up in 'ps' and look quite memory hungry.

I should have tried to find the oom_adj values for these processes before i killed them

SFP exists as an apk.

You can uninstall a few com.huawei* apps from settings->manage applications->filter->all, including the 2 above.

I've uninstalled them all.

I am able to toggle between maps, gmail and home without any reloading. Home screen has Jorte Calendar, Beautiful Home, and Pregnancy Assistant.

Excellent ROM. Bravo.

Guest flip360
Has Apps2SD been added to this rom? I only ask as it's showing inside /etc/init.d/

i am curious also, says its based on the mcr rom and as feeblesan said it contains it so does it work? And if not, how can i add A2SD+ from paul`s mcr rom?

i am satisfied with the small footprint this rom has (job well done no thanks to huawei) but would like to have the A2SD+ option too :(

noob question: i know its just a script but aside from that does it have to have a kernel module or something else for thtat matter?

Edited by flip360

Guest Simon O
i am curious also, says its based on the mcr rom so it should have it and if not, how can i add A2SD+ from paul`s mcr rom?

noob question: i know its just a script but does it have something to do with the kernel or kernel modules, compiling, etc?

cheers

If it doesn't have a2sd then I guess you could install it using the file at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=670087

I've used this file on another rom to upgrade a2sd and it worked so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on this rom.

Guest flip360

i have tried the other rom with darktremor`s a2sd+ and i had an issue with internal space lost on every apk i installed and it seemed like its not working whereas in mcr r7 rom i have 77Mb free at first boot and it stays thatway. Do you have some info on this? The mcr rom say it has the old style A2SD+

cheers

Guest Simon O
i have tried the other rom with darktremor`s a2sd+ and i had an issue with internal space lost on every apk i installed and it seemed like its not working whereas in mcr r7 rom i have 77Mb free at first boot and it stays thatway. Do you have some info on this? The mcr rom say it has the old style A2SD+

cheers

Based on what I've been reading, that's normal. Currently I have 47MB of apps installed on SD and phone is reporting free space of 70MB. It's definitely working as I'd be down to 23MB free space or less. I'm only using 10MB of the actual Data partition:

# a2sd diskspace
a2sd diskspace
Starting Darktremor A2SD version 2.7 update 1
[ ] Mounting /system as read-write
[ ] Mounting /data as read-write
[ ] Starting A2SD in diskspace mode
[ ] Displaying Disk Space statistics on SD card
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 457.9M 47.0M 386.4M 11% /system/sd
[ ] Setting Filesystem Completion flag.
[ ] Cleaning up...
# /system/bin/busybox.a2sd df -h /data
/system/bin/busybox.a2sd df -h /data
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/block/mtdblock2 80.3M 10.3M 70.0M 13% /data[/code]

So yeah, it's working. The space is taken by various caches which are not moved to the SD card. Only dalvik is moved.

Worth adding it to this rom, at least as an optional extra. And if it's not added then it's really simple to add it yourself.

(sorry for going off-topic guys)

Edited by flibblesan

Guest Simon O

How about replacing the bloated t-mobile/Huawei music player (1MB) with the Nexus music player which is only 340KB? I think it looks better too.

Guest whackster
How about replacing the bloated t-mobile/Huawei music player (1MB) with the Nexus music player which is only 340KB? I think it looks better too.

Where can I find a zip update for 2.1 Nexus??

Nevermind, should have guessed there would be a MCR :(

Edited by whackster

Guest Epic-Emodude

Im using Pure music widget that only works with the sctock android one and the HTC one. Would this be affected?

Guest yuelaien
Im using Pure music widget that only works with the sctock android one and the HTC one. Would this be affected?

got problem sound adjust buttom not working

need to use software to adjust sound

(PCCW U8220)

Good Working =)

Guest Stevos

I'm running v2 and it seems stable - I won't get a chance to test the Titanium backup restore crashing cycle for a few days, but I'd suggest that app may be worth steering clear of with this ROM until it can be confirmed or figured out.

One strange thing, I just got an email from Google congratulating me on my Nexus One - I assume this is due to the hardware ID / key change for the market (though I'm still not convinced I'm seeing all apps)

Also, possibly related to that change, the windows vista x64 adb drivers do not currently recognise the device (even with the updated drivers posted a while back.)

This is odd as they picked it up last night when I ran a test app from eclipse on it, but today when I connect the device I get "insert the disc that cane with your t-mobile 3g phone" message.

Do we need to roll back to the old drivers, or update them again?

Edited by Stevos

Guest Stevos

Oh, also has something odd been done to the custom dictionary with this ROM?

The predictive text seems to massively prefer contact names over English words

eg when typing: "to" it types "Ross"

when typing "hope" it types "Hooper"

I don't think any of the other ROMs I used have been able to properly use predictive text with contact names, but this seems to be taking it a bit too far... :(

Guest JingleManSweep

I think the Alarm Clock should be part of this ROM. Many many people use their phones for an alarm clock, and it seems silly not to have this. Obviously, you will need one alarm sound too.

Guest flip360
Based on what I've been reading, that's normal. Currently I have 47MB of apps installed on SD and phone is reporting free space of 70MB. It's definitely working as I'd be down to 23MB free space or less. I'm only using 10MB of the actual Data partition:

# a2sd diskspace

a2sd diskspace

Starting Darktremor A2SD version 2.7 update 1

[ ] Mounting /system as read-write

[ ] Mounting /data as read-write

[ ] Starting A2SD in diskspace mode

[ ] Displaying Disk Space statistics on SD card

Filesystem				Size	  Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2	457.9M	 47.0M	386.4M  11% /system/sd

[ ] Setting Filesystem Completion flag.

[ ] Cleaning up...

# /system/bin/busybox.a2sd df -h /data

/system/bin/busybox.a2sd df -h /data

Filesystem				Size	  Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/block/mtdblock2	 80.3M	 10.3M	 70.0M  13% /data

So yeah, it's working. The space is taken by various caches which are not moved to the SD card. Only dalvik is moved.

Worth adding it to this rom, at least as an optional extra. And if it's not added then it's really simple to add it yourself.

(sorry for going off-topic guys)

Sorry to be off topic but did you run a2sd from the other rom or this one? and if its not too difficult could you please elaborate on getting the darktremor script into this rom?

cheers

Guest Stevos
I think the Alarm Clock should be part of this ROM. Many many people use their phones for an alarm clock, and it seems silly not to have this. Obviously, you will need one alarm sound too.

I ran into this issue also, and wished there was an alarm clock. In the end I set a calendar schedule, and it got the job done okay.

There is some value in having this as a barebones minimal ROM that people can use as a basis for other ROMs, so perhaps there's a good argument for leaving out the alarm clock ? I guess there may be others that people want to replace it with, or some people may not want it at all.

Guest flip360

can you post it somewhere? :(

Edited by flip360

Guest flip360

hello guys,

removed the Huawei stuff and i have managed to add darktremor`s a2sd, launcherpro (default), root explorer, alarm clock, the music player from N1, the RBM contact and dialer, custom bootscreen and some ringtones to this ROM, signed it and i have 75 Mb free internal memory and already installed some 20-30 Mb of apps and games :( feels snappy and stable sofar...

THANKS TO Feeblesan and the community

cheers

Guest Simon O
Sorry to be off topic but did you run a2sd from the other rom or this one? and if its not too difficult could you please elaborate on getting the darktremor script into this rom?

cheers

I just flashed the darktremore a2sd zip in recovery.

Guest Epic-Emodude

Has anyone else not been able to find launcher pro on the market. I went to update it earlier and couldn't find it.

Wallpaper problem solved. The deletion of launcher.apk (canvas) means that know when selecting a wallpaper, canvas wallpapers dont show up, but only the ones from launcher pro. This means that the whole HW_images folder can be removed, and most people will probably select a wallpaper from their SD card.

Yes, I noticed that as well. It's on the to-do list now.

Has Apps2SD been added to this rom? I only ask as it's showing inside /etc/init.d/

I'm confused by that - but no, the short answer is that I haven't added it. Once we've finalised, though, I do agree with your suggestion later on in the thread that an alternative A2SD version be created.

One strange thing, I just got an email from Google congratulating me on my Nexus One - I assume this is due to the hardware ID / key change for the market (though I'm still not convinced I'm seeing all apps)

Yes, me too! Yes, it's because I changed the fingerprint in build.prop to make the phone look like a Nexus One. And no, I agree that we're not seeing all the apps - Launcher Pro Beta, for example, doesn't show up. If you do use eckengucker's fix, please let me know if that works - I made changes along the same lines but not exactly the same, so I will edit to match his if it gives 100% market access.

Also, possibly related to that change, the windows vista x64 adb drivers do not currently recognise the device (even with the updated drivers posted a while back.)

This is odd as they picked it up last night when I ran a test app from eclipse on it, but today when I connect the device I get "insert the disc that cane with your t-mobile 3g phone" message.

Do we need to roll back to the old drivers, or update them again?

That's very odd, I can't think of what change I made that could have made that happen. Try reinstalling the drivers - I have the same (running in 7 - are you in Vista?) and they're working fine.

Oh, also has something odd been done to the custom dictionary with this ROM?

The predictive text seems to massively prefer contact names over English words

eg when typing: "to" it types "Ross"

when typing "hope" it types "Hooper"

I don't think any of the other ROMs I used have been able to properly use predictive text with contact names, but this seems to be taking it a bit too far... :(

Yes, I noticed that. My guess is that where Touchpal and the like bake their dictionary into the .apk itself, the bog-standard keyboard (the .apk for which I lifted) doesn't do that - so it's only got the contacts list as a source. I'm planning to track down some vanilla ROMs and see if I can find a likely-looking candidate for a dictionary.

I ran into this issue also, and wished there was an alarm clock. In the end I set a calendar schedule, and it got the job done okay.

There is some value in having this as a barebones minimal ROM that people can use as a basis for other ROMs, so perhaps there's a good argument for leaving out the alarm clock ? I guess there may be others that people want to replace it with, or some people may not want it at all.

Ultimately "bare bones" has to mean that it does everything that people by and large want to be able to do with their phones. As two of you have had the same thought, it's probably worth adding alarm clock back - unless anyone disagrees vehemently, I will stick it back in the next version (along with an alarm sound).

I love this ROM but I am missing the youtube app. How would I go about installing that?

Try going to this link in your phone's browser: m.google.com/youtube

Failing that, download a ROM that has the app (I think most do), unzip it, and then either install it directly through adb or copy YouTube.apk to your phone and then browse to it in your file manager of choice.

Edited by Guest

Guest Stevos
Yes, I noticed that. My guess is that where Touchpal and the like bake their dictionary into the .apk itself, the bog-standard keyboard (the .apk for which I lifted) doesn't do that - so it's only got the contacts list as a source. I'm planning to track down some vanilla ROMs and see if I can find a likely-looking candidate for a dictionary.

The odd thing is that it seemed to recognise English words to some extent, it's just that the default choices were contact names - even if the entered text was an exact word, and the contact names didn't match the text particularly well. I don't quite understand what causes that.

I'll see if I can get the driver stuff working and report back.

Failing that, download a ROM that has the app (I think most do), unzip it, and then either install it directly through adb or copy YouTube.apk to your phone and then browse to it in your file manager of choice.

It's also worth pointing out that it's important to be careful with adding apks into custom distributions that aren't open source licensed-- IIRC Cyanogen got a cease and desist letter from Google's lawyers for distributing some of their (free) stuff. In the end, it had to be done by odd backup and restore methods rather than including the apks in the ROM.

I doubt a small community project would draw their attention, but it's worth saying.

Edited by Stevos