Dropbox

Guest Daniel Williamson

Guest Daniel Williamson
This should have a built in chat service :(

MIRC anyone?

Oh and i have uploaded The offical Drop box android app in the Applications folder :(

Dan

Is there a rule/accepted practice with apps to use in ROMs? Obviously cracked versions of paid apps (if such things exist) or apps reverse-engineered out of HTC ROMs are probably out, but could we (for example) build a ROM using Launcher Pro? It's free, and generally available on the market, but might the dev get annoyed that people aren't downloading it from the Market and adding to its download count?

Guest Daniel Williamson
Is there a rule/accepted practice with apps to use in ROMs? Obviously cracked versions of paid apps (if such things exist) or apps reverse-engineered out of HTC ROMs are probably out, but could we (for example) build a ROM using Launcher Pro? It's free, and generally available on the market, but might the dev get annoyed that people aren't downloading it from the Market and adding to its download count?

Im not too sure i guess it is "open source" but dont hold me too that, ive changed some Launcher_pro apps myself, blue and pink versions, there on the Dropbox. But ill take them down if its not supposed to be there etc.

Dan

Totally wasn't aimed at you mate - I'm thinking about possible future uses. To me it seems like you should be able to release a ROM with any free apps in it you want - but just want to see what anyone else thinks.

Guest Stevos

General rule would be to check licensing terms, and if unclear contact the publisher / author. Free apps are not necessarily free to distribute.

Launcher pro's market page says that it's based on the stock android app - if that means the code is derived, then it should be released on the apache 2 license = open source. I don't know if the source is actually released anywhere, but if it's apache 2, I would guess it's okay to use in ROMs.

Guest Daniel Williamson

Just about to upload a Custom rom based on Paul's r7 Do not install!

I need help with it i have changed the Launcher.apk file in system/apps changed some .pngs to blue, signed the laucher deleted original and .odex, Re signed the rom installed after complete wipe but Force close after setup and Blank home screen. Would be helpful if people could take a look at the files that ive changed in the Launcher.apk and system/apps and tell me where im going wrong thanks.

Dan :(

Guest BigBearMDC
Just about to upload a Custom rom based on Paul's r7 Do not install!

I need help with it i have changed the Launcher.apk file in system/apps changed some .pngs to blue, signed the laucher deleted original and .odex, Re signed the rom installed after complete wipe but Force close after setup and Blank home screen. Would be helpful if people could take a look at the files that ive changed in the Launcher.apk and system/apps and tell me where im going wrong thanks.

Dan :(

It could be that signing the Launcher.apk failed for a few files.

Have a look at the MANIFEST.MF file, and check if every file is listed there, with an base 64 string MD5 checksum.

If you find a file that isn't signed, that's the problem (if so, I've written a tool that calculates those checksums :o ).

Although I think you wouldn't be a able to flash the ROM if one application file is not properly signed... :(

Best regards,

BigBear

Guest Daniel Williamson
It could be that signing the Launcher.apk failed for a few files.

Have a look at the MANIFEST.MF file, and check if every file is listed there, with an base 64 string MD5 checksum.

If you find a file that isn't signed, that's the problem (if so, I've written a tool that calculates those checksums :( ).

Although I think you wouldn't be a able to flash the ROM if one application file is not properly signed... :(

Best regards,

BigBear

I have uploaded the manifest.mf file from the Laucnher.apk on the Drop box in Custom roms, ive had a look but theres so many files ! aha and it dosent help that they are not in order :o

Dan

Think i may have found it bg_soft_key_(1,2 and 4)_pressed.png i couldnt find in the manifest, so what do i do next?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Edited by Daniel Williamson

Guest BigBearMDC
I have uploaded the manifest.mf file from the Laucnher.apk on the Drop box in Custom roms, ive had a look but theres so many files ! aha and it dosent help that they are not in order :(

Dan

Hmm ... if you have enough time (a few hours minimum) I could write a [Windows .NET 4] application that checks if those files are all listed in the MANIFEST.MF file.

If not, they'll be added and their checksum will be generated.

Guest Daniel Williamson
Hmm ... if you have enough time (a few hours minimum) I could write a [Windows .NET 4] application that checks if those files are all listed in the MANIFEST.MF file.

If not, they'll be added and their checksum will be generated.

Wow thanks that would be great :( although not sure if you saw the edit but i may have found the problem, although there may be others missing, its just that those were the files that i edited.

Dan

Guest BigBearMDC
Wow thanks that would be great :( although not sure if you saw the edit but i may have found the problem, although there may be others missing, its just that those were the files that i edited.

Dan

Weirdly, it looks like testsign just deletes entries with a mismatching checksum ... it should not delete but re-calculate them :(

Guest Daniel Williamson
Weirdly, it looks like testsign just deletes entries with a mismatching checksum ... it should not delete but re-calculate them :(

Hmm :/ could there be any other means to signing rather than java testsign?

Dan

Guest Daniel Williamson
How do I access the files, I requesed he sent a referal now i just have my folder on my pc how do i see everyones stuff?

Just send me your email adress then i can invite you :(

Dan

Guest BigBearMDC
Hmm :/ could there be any other means to signing rather than java testsign?

Dan

Sure.

I wrote a small tool that was meant to do so, but I'm stuck at generating an RSA key with .NET 4.0, using a private and public key.

Basically testsign does (or is meant to) do two things:

1. create a SHA1 (sorry, not MD5) checksum of every file and save it in the MANIFEST.MF file
  2. create a duplicate of MANIFEST.MF (CERT.SF) and encrypt it with a RSA key (-> CERT.RSA)
I successfully got the first part working (generating the SHA1 checksums), but I'm stuck at the RSA encryption =/

But testsign should work once all files are registered in the MANIFEST file.

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest Daniel Williamson
Sure.

I wrote a small tool that was meant to do so, but I'm stuck at generating an RSA key with .NET 4.0, using a private and public key.

Basically testsign does (or is meant to) do two things:

1. create a SHA1 (sorry, not MD5) checksum of every file and save it in the MANIFEST.MF file
  2. create a duplicate of MANIFEST.MF (CERT.SF) and encrypt it with a RSA key (-> CERT.RSA)
I successfully got the first part working (generating the SHA1 checksums), but I'm stuck at the RSA encryption =/

But testsign should work once all files are registered in the MANIFEST file.

So could we use your tool to do the first part, then testsign the second? it seems silly why testsign would do that :/

Dan

Guest BigBearMDC
So could we use your tool to do the first part, then testsign the second? it seems silly why testsign would do that :/

Dan

Yap exactly, that should work :(

I'm right now searching the binary...

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest -Wii-

Dan

Can I raise the point that we need to be careful not to go trigger happy on this, its all very well and good loading up 16 different roms at 150MB each but someone is going to end up in tears when there data allowance goes over the ISP.

I don't know whats standard nowadays, I have 20gb a month all I am saying is that we need to be sensible.

Guest Daniel Williamson
Can I raise the point that we need to be careful not to go trigger happy on this, its all very well and good loading up 16 different roms at 150MB each but someone is going to end up in tears when there data allowance goes over the ISP.

I don't know whats standard nowadays, I have 20gb a month all I am saying is that we need to be sensible.

Are the files not just stored on the internet I.E "cloud" >? And You only use up data when uploading or downloading?

Dan