Created rootedupdate.zip version 1.21.405.2

Guest oclock

Guest oclock

Ladies and Gentlemen: It is Four O´Clock A.M. :-) (see first post for download link).

Content:

* SW version 1.21.405.2

* Kernel:

* loopback device enabled (allows you to do 'mount -o loop ...')

* iprange & ipowner enabled (for DroidWall compatibility)

* NEW Busybox 1.16.2 in /system/xbin and also already installed in /system/xbin (busybox is the latest version compiled by myself!)

* Compiled with an optimized toolchain and statically linked against uClibc (50% smaller binary compared to the one in Three O´Clock A.M.!)

* bbconfig enabled

* configured cron dir: /data/cron, udhcpd dir: /data/udhcpd, service dir: /data/service 

* Superuser 2.1

* Replaced /system/etc/firmware/fw_bcm4329_ap.bin with the one from HTC Evo 4g to make wifi tethering work

* Android wifi tether 2.0.2 (installed in /system/app)

* Removed annoying boot sound

* flash_image installed in /system/xbin (usefull if you usb bricked your device)

Automatic USB Brick detection is *not* inlcuded, although I already announced it in a previous post. I had some technical problems and did not want to defer this release because of that. Furthermore, with Paul´s new riskfree root method and fake-flash, USB bricks should not happen that often anymore.

Hope you have fun with this rom!

oC

Edited by oclock

Guest Surfinette

I can't install 4 Oclock (update from 3 Oclock)

I keep having an error message while copying files. It says :

Can't chown/mod /system/xbin/usbunbrick.sh

(no such file or directory)

E: failure at line 389:

set_perm 0 0 0075 SYSTEM:xbin/usbunbrick;sh

Install aborted.

:)

just remove 389 line in META-INF\com\google\android\update-script and repack zip file , no need to sign if you use fake-flash recovery.

Guest oclock
I can't install 4 Oclock (update from 3 Oclock)

I keep having an error message while copying files. It says :

Can't chown/mod /system/xbin/usbunbrick.sh

(no such file or directory)

E: failure at line 389:

set_perm 0 0 0075 SYSTEM:xbin/usbunbrick;sh

Install aborted.

:)

I am so sorry. I will reupload a fixed version as soon as possible (very likely not until today in the evening, because I am at work and don´t have my tools here).

But if you use fake flash, just remove line 389 ("set_perm 0 0 0075 SYSTEM:xbin/usbunbrick.sh") from META-INF\com\google\android\update-script and repack as "slg" already said.

On the other side I do not understand how this could happen, because I flashed exactly this version to my device (it is still on my sdcard, checked md5sum and it is the same) to test it. It worked and still works. I checked right now if the file /system/xbin/usbunbrick.sh exist on my device, but it does not exist, so I should also get exactly the same error message... strange strange.

I used the r5 recovery. Are there different recoveries that behave differently on errors during an update?

Again sorry for inconvenience!

Edited by oclock

Guest Surfinette
I am so sorry. I will reupload a fixed version as soon as possible (very likely not until today in the evening, because I am at work and don´t have my tools here).

But if you use fake flash, just remove line 389 ("set_perm 0 0 0075 SYSTEM:xbin/usbunbrick.sh") from META-INF\com\google\android\update-script and repack as "slg" already said.

On the other side I do not understand how this could happen, because I flashed exactly this version to my device (it is still on my sdcard, checked md5sum and it is the same) to test it. It worked and still works. I checked right now if the file /system/xbin/usbunbrick.sh exist on my device, but it does not exist, so I should also get exactly the same error message... strange strange.

I used the r5 recovery. Are there different recoveries that behave differently on errors during an update?

Again sorry for inconvenience!

Don't be sorry, you're doing a fantastic job!

FYI: I've used both the fake-flash by Koush and the ROM Manager utilities and I had the same error both time (but I guess they are both based on the same Recovery)... I was able to revert back to the 3'Oclock ROM without difficulties. (Note that I had previously flashed 3'Oclock using the ROM Manager, so it's seems to be a 4'Oclock issue...)

I'm at work too, so I'll try again this evening (I should not even be peeking into this forum during work hours :) )

Guest oclock

I´ve updated "Four O´Clock A.M." (just removed 389 line in META-INF\com\google\android\update-script and repacked and signed everything).

Downloadlink can be found in the first post.

I´ve tested it by flashing it with the "fake flash" method on my device. I got no errors everything worked fine. I hope that it will also work for you this time.

Best wishes,

oC

PS: Now I should also concentrate on work a little ;-)

Guest Surfinette
I´ve updated "Four O´Clock A.M." (just removed 389 line in META-INF\com\google\android\update-script and repacked and signed everything).

Downloadlink can be found in the first post.

I´ve tested it by flashing it with the "fake flash" method on my device. I got no errors everything worked fine. I hope that it will also work for you this time.

Best wishes,

oC

PS: Now I should also concentrate on work a little ;-)

I've tried to install your updated version of 4 O'clock.

The installation process seems to run fine, but at the end of the process, I cannot reboot the phone:

The boot process cannot go past the "quitely brilliant" message. Once it reaches this step, the phone keep looping back and reboot indefinitely!

I tried a second install with the same negative (and scary) result.

I'm now back on the "3 O Clock" ROM (without indefinite boot-loop) thanks to a nandroid restore from the backup I had made initially before my first attempt with "4 O'clock"

Note that I've tried to install "4 O'Clock"" directly on top of "3 O'clock" without wiping the phone. Is this why I get this endlessly looping boot?

Also, on top of "3 O'clock" I have installed the UVOC Kernel + A2SD++ (from message # 43 in this post)... Could this also explain my problems ?

Any idea what could be going wrong ? I'd really like to be able to use "4 O clock" so I can use droid wall...

Guest oclock
I've tried to install your updated version of 4 O'clock.

The installation process seems to run fine, but at the end of the process, I cannot reboot the phone:

The boot process cannot go past the "quitely brilliant" message. Once it reaches this step, the phone keep looping back and reboot indefinitely!

I tried a second install with the same negative (and scary) result.

I'm now back on the "3 O Clock" ROM (without indefinite boot-loop) thanks to a nandroid restore from the backup I had made initially before my first attempt with "4 O'clock"

Note that I've tried to install "4 O'Clock"" directly on top of "3 O'clock" without wiping the phone. Is this why I get this endlessly looping boot?

Also, on top of "3 O'clock" I have installed the UVOC Kernel + A2SD++ (from message # 43 in this post)... Could this also explain my problems ?

Any idea what could be going wrong ? I'd really like to be able to use "4 O clock" so I can use droid wall...

Your problems are very likely because of A2SD++.

A2SD++ needs changes in "boot.img" to work properly.

The boot.img in "Four O´Clock A.M." does not contain any modifications for A2SD++.

Thus, after installing "Four O´Clock A.M." you lose A2SD++ and the system gets lost trying to find some stuff in /data, which cannot be found, because it is on your SDCARD and you don´t have A2SD++ functionality anymore. Result: Reboots.

First of all: Don´t be scared. Your phone is okay. Nothing is broken :-) And my ROM is also okay.

As a side note:

I personally think that A2SD is a pain in the ass :-) So much trouble with ROM updates only because of that...

You have the following options:

* Get completely rid of A2SD and just use 4-oC-AM as it is

* Install 4-oC-AM and afterwards Paul´s A2SD++ update. Should work, but you will lose my latest kernel changes which are needed to make Droid Wall work.

* Kindly ask Paul to bake an A2SD++ update that has the kernel of my boot.img inside -> Then everything will work (A2SD, Droid Wall...).

I also could create a A2SD++ update, but because I don´t use A2SD, I cannot (read: I dont want to :-)) test it.

So, the best solution is to kindly ask Paul to do it. (If he does not reply or whatever, then of course I will try to bake an update for you ;-))

Hope this helps :-)

oC

Edited by oclock

Guest Surfinette

I start to understand why A2SD can be such a mess (I've only started to use A2SD since I moved to your 3 O'clock).

I guess I now can't do without A2SD because I have too many apps (or the phone's internal memory is too small :) )

I've PM'd Paul... let's wait and see...

Thanks again for your hellp

Good night

Surfinette

Guest oclock
I start to understand why A2SD can be such a mess (I've only started to use A2SD since I moved to your 3 O'clock).

I guess I now can't do without A2SD because I have too many apps (or the phone's internal memory is too small ;) )

I've PM'd Paul... let's wait and see...

Did you have any luck with A2SD?

oC

Guest Surfinette
Did you have any luck with A2SD?

oC

No, no luck yet... so I sticked with 3 O'clock

Five-oClock-AM is ready to use.

Don´t have time now to write more. But read my tweet here:

http://twitter.com/kdre/status/16730237197

Detailed information will follow shortly (probably in a new thread).

Have fun.

oC

And I guess I'll jump directly to 5 O'clock now... ;)

Does 5 O'Clock include A2SD? Or what should I do to add A2SD on top of 5 O'Clock? Do I need to install a specific Kernel?

Edited by Surfinette

Guest Vonacid

Hi~ I've just rooted my desire for the 1st time. I know this is abit newbie but do i use "Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Desire" method to update to 4 O'Clock using the recovery menu?

If yes: i've tried doing it but failed, these are the messages i get-

Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E: No signature (862 files)

E: Verification failed

Installation aborted.

If no: Can anyone teach me how to update?

I have also tried changing the "Four-oClock-AM" zip file to rootedupdate.zip and use it for my rooting... but still... the same errors appears...

P.S: Unfortunately, i cannot dl anything from rapidshare in my country (Singapore). Anyone mind helping to upload it on megaupload or anywhere else instead? Thank you very much!!!

Edited by Vonacid

Guest oclock
Hi~ I've just rooted my desire for the 1st time. I know this is abit newbie but do i use "Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Desire" method to update to 4 O'Clock using the recovery menu?

If yes: i've tried doing it but failed, these are the messages i get-

Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E: No signature (862 files)

E: Verification failed

Installation aborted.

If no: Can anyone teach me how to update?

I have also tried changing the "Four-oClock-AM" zip file to rootedupdate.zip and use it for my rooting... but still... the same errors appears...

P.S: Unfortunately, i cannot dl anything from rapidshare in my country (Singapore). Anyone mind helping to upload it on megaupload or anywhere else instead? Thank you very much!!!

1. You should not get any verification failed messages. My roms are signed and should pass any verification tests. Maybe something went wrong during download? Did you verify the md5sum (read this for help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=706705 )? You can download it here: http://i2x.de/~oclock/Four-oClock-AM.zip

2. Just for your interest: Four-oClock-AM is not the latest version. It is now Five-oClock-AM: http://i2x.de/~oclock/Five-oClock-AM.zip (read a few posts above this one. There I announced it.)

3. To flash my rom, just copy the rom to the sdcard, boot into recovery (fake-flash or the push-recovery), and select this rom in the menu. The name of the rom is not important. You can also call it "abc.zip" if you prefer ...

Hope tis helps...

Best wishes

oC

@all

I will write tomorrow the details about Five-oClock-AM (I did not forget ;))

@surfinette

Maybe I will bake an a2sd version just for you :(

Edited by oclock

Guest Vonacid
1. You should not get any verification failed messages. My roms are signed and should pass any verification tests. Maybe something went wrong during download? Did you verify the md5sum (read this for help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=706705 )? You can download it here: http://i2x.de/~oclock/Four-oClock-AM.zip

2. Just for your interest: Four-oClock-AM is not the latest version. It is now Five-oClock-AM: http://i2x.de/~oclock/Five-oClock-AM.zip (read a few posts above this one. There I announced it.)

3. To flash my rom, just copy the rom to the sdcard, boot into recovery (fake-flash or the push-recovery), and select this rom in the menu. The name of the rom is not important. You can also call it "abc.zip" if you prefer ...

Hope tis helps...

Best wishes

oC

@all

I will write tomorrow the details about Five-oClock-AM (I did not forget ;))

@surfinette

Maybe I will bake an a2sd version just for you :(

Thank you very much oclock!!! I managed to dl and update mine to Five-oClock-AM! I really appreciate your help!!!

Here i have got a few more questions:

1) After updating, when my phone go into idle mode (black screen by pressing the power button or leaving it alone), it doesn't go back on by just pressing the power button again... The only way is to press on the sensor button...

2) I have no idea how to do a A2SD, can you suggest me a place to learn and do the latest A2SD please? (or is there already A2SD in Five-oClock-AM, only need to partition?)

3) Usually after rooting, what are the other things i should do other than A2SD? like radio?

4) Can i also know if its possible for any chinese and japanese input?

Sorry for asking these noobish questions.

Edited by Vonacid

Guest Surfinette
@surfinette

Maybe I will bake an a2sd version just for you smile.gif

That'd be super cooool ;)

And hopefully, it won't be just for me... as it sounds like other people out there are looking for A2SD too

Guest oclock
1) After updating, when my phone go into idle mode (black screen by pressing the power button or leaving it alone), it doesn't go back on by just pressing the power button again... The only way is to press on the sensor button...

This is supposed to be like this in this ROM.

I had some trouble when I put my desire in a leather pouche. It happened from time to time that I accidently pressed the power button while sliding it into the pouche, which I think is kind of annoying. So, I am happy with this solution:

1. Trackpad pressed short: Wake

2. Trackpad pressend long: Sleep

3. Power button pressed while on: Sleep

4. Power button pressed while sleep: Nothing

But this is just my opinion. I run my mobile with this setup for a few days now and at the beginning I pushed the bower button to turn the desire on and realized then that it is not possible :-) Now, I am perfectly fine with the current solution.

However, what do you think about this "feature". Should the power button wake up the device or not?

2) I have no idea how to do a A2SD, can you suggest me a place to learn and do the latest A2SD please? (or is there already A2SD in Five-oClock-AM, only need to partition?)

No, there is no a2sd in 5-oc-am. And if you flash one that you find somewhere else, then you will lose "trackpad-to-wake" and "trackpad-to-sleep", "loop device support" and "droid wall support".

Maybe I will bake a version with A2SD tomorrow (today in the evening plays germany against ghana, so no android hacking for me ;-) ). A2SD is only a workaround if you want to install a lot of apps, otherwise it is in my opinion more a pain in the ass, because you will have problems when flashing other roms ...

3) Usually after rooting, what are the other things i should do other than A2SD? like radio?

Depends on you. There is nothing that you MUST do. And the coolest things are already in my rom (tethering, droid wall, trackpad stuff).

Maybe you can install "root explorer" as a file manager for root users, "better terminal" to use linux commands to explore your system...

I still have the original radio firmware, I just tested a newer one and found so significant imrovements for me...

probably, but I do not know how. I think someone asked in this forum how to add hebrew support. Search this thread and maybe it is similar to chinese ...

oC

Guest Vonacid
This is supposed to be like this in this ROM.

I had some trouble when I put my desire in a leather pouche. It happened from time to time that I accidently pressed the power button while sliding it into the pouche, which I think is kind of annoying. So, I am happy with this solution:

1. Trackpad pressed short: Wake

2. Trackpad pressend long: Sleep

3. Power button pressed while on: Sleep

4. Power button pressed while sleep: Nothing

But this is just my opinion. I run my mobile with this setup for a few days now and at the beginning I pushed the bower button to turn the desire on and realized then that it is not possible :-) Now, I am perfectly fine with the current solution.

However, what do you think about this "feature". Should the power button wake up the device or not?

No, there is no a2sd in 5-oc-am. And if you flash one that you find somewhere else, then you will lose "trackpad-to-wake" and "trackpad-to-sleep", "loop device support" and "droid wall support".

Maybe I will bake a version with A2SD tomorrow (today in the evening plays germany against ghana, so no android hacking for me ;-) ). A2SD is only a workaround if you want to install a lot of apps, otherwise it is in my opinion more a pain in the ass, because you will have problems when flashing other roms ...

Depends on you. There is nothing that you MUST do. And the coolest things are already in my rom (tethering, droid wall, trackpad stuff).

Maybe you can install "root explorer" as a file manager for root users, "better terminal" to use linux commands to explore your system...

I still have the original radio firmware, I just tested a newer one and found so significant imrovements for me...

probably, but I do not know how. I think someone asked in this forum how to add hebrew support. Search this thread and maybe it is similar to chinese ...

oC

Thanks alot for your reply oC! I think i just find it uncomfortable to press on the trackpad button so often since its much harder than the power button and i haven't been using it very often before other than taking pictures.

I seriously need a A2SD along with all the wonderful things u have on your rom~ I wish to install alot of applications and games, but i just don't have enough for them hehe...

For Chinese, i have absolutely no idea how to add hebrew support~ too bad you dunno, if not i'm gonna rate you as the best rom maker in the world!!! hahaha ;)

Guest lenik

you can easily get chinese input from original HTC_RUU files or from MCR3.1 kitchen, which includes such an option.

japanese input can be retrieved from original HTC images from Softbank JP, but it's very user-unfriendly and I'd recommend to install SIMEJI from the market.

Guest oclock
Thanks alot for your reply oC! I think i just find it uncomfortable to press on the trackpad button so often since its much harder than the power button and i haven't been using it very often before other than taking pictures.

It is easy to change these settings by yourself.

1. method

-unzip Five-oClock-AM.zip (you get META-INF system, and boot.img)

-open system/usr/keylayout/bravo-keypad.kl in an editor

-change

key 116 POWER

to

key 116 POWER WAKE_DROPPED

-save

-zip META-INF, system and boot.img

-flash this file using the fake-flash method

2. method

-boot your device to recovery (fake flash or push files)

-in a terminal type:

>adb pull /system/usr/keylayout/bravo-keypad.kl

>vim bravo-keypad.kl

change

key 116 POWER

to

and save

>adb push bravo-keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout/bravo-keypad.kl

Afterwards you can also wake up your device using the power button

I would really like to get some more opinions.

@all:

Do you think that the power button should wake up the device? Should I let it enabled by default in future ROMs?

best wishes

Klaus

Guest Vonacid
you can easily get chinese input from original HTC_RUU files or from MCR3.1 kitchen, which includes such an option.

japanese input can be retrieved from original HTC images from Softbank JP, but it's very user-unfriendly and I'd recommend to install SIMEJI from the market.

Ermm... thats a very good news to me pal!!! But i dun know how to extract the Chinese input from HTC_RUU or MCR3.1 Kitchan, and more importantly, i dunno how to add into the current Five O´Clock A.M rom. Can you teach me how?

Thanks for the the SIMEJI info, i'll go download it now!!! hee

Guest Vonacid

1. method

-unzip Five-oClock-AM.zip (you get META-INF system, and boot.img)

-open system/usr/keylayout/bravo-keypad.kl in an editor

-change

key 116 POWER

to

-save

-zip META-INF, system and boot.img

-flash this file using the fake-flash method

2. method

-in a terminal type:

>vim bravo-keypad.kl

change

key 116 POWER

to

and save

@all:

Do you think that the power button should wake up the device? Should I let it enabled by default in future ROMs?

best wishes

Klaus

Thanks oC!!! I was going ard boasting to some of my friends of this awesome rom i'm using~! hahaha~ u really did a great job oC!!! hehehe~

Now i'm looking forward to your addition in A2APP++ . And if i managed to get the chinese input, and japanese input, i'm sure i can safely use it to stop my urge for froyo until it is offically out!! That is how good your rom is!!! ;)

P.S: Btw oC, which/what Editor do i use to edit the /system/usr/keylayout/bravo-keypad.kl ? I tried using normal Mswords, but it doesn't work...

Edited by Vonacid

Guest bob463

2. method

-in a terminal type:

>vim bravo-keypad.kl

change

key 116 POWER

to

and save

Hi,

How do you get into the terminal with the fake flash?

I think that the use of the power button is better as well.

Thanks!