Paul's Streak thoughts dump... got questions? Ask here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest frenzyy

Motorola Xt720 milestone will be a better choice

for griff, im not interested in the dell streak so you can be sure ill close the door on this thread. and yes the stream has 2 major faults: history mess up and the bar which stays in the middle of the screen, thats why i decided id go for the moto.

rovex, i know its marketed as a tablet able to occasionally take calls, but i had the faith that it will work as a everyday phone, this acer is suppose have great construction but stupid ui, and the desire is a bit tasteless of course the unibody idea is great bit the rest of the design is inspired too much from the first iphone

If youre gonna have a tablet it makes more sense to buy one thats at least 8 inches the pocket is for the phone and the bag for the tablet

Now im done with this "phone"

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all,

Well I've had mine since Monday and am loving it as it just keeps getting better and better as it's my first Android device the Nexus One doesn't really count as i sent it back the next day, coming from a TG01 i wanted and needed at least the same size screen @4.1" or bigger the Nexus One went back because besides anything else the screen was tiny compared to what i was used to and i use my device mainly for data and Multimedia where a big screen makes all the difference.

I am loving the Streak and especially the screen it doesn't bother me about the lack of portrait as 99.9% of the time i use it in Landscape anyway and as I'm getting to grips with Android I'm loving that to i can only imagine what custom Roms and 2.2 are going to do for us Streak owners and users. I also bought mine on the mobile Broadband Package for quite a few reasons the first was i wasn't sure if it was to big to be my only device or not and the second was i couldn't get a clear answer on what unlimited Internet actually meant so going for the tariff i have i get 3GB pm which for me is plenty. Also i still have 8 months left on my Orange contract so cancelled the data on it and will use that just for voice now to which end i just bought myself a Nokia Sirocco. But i feel i could quite easily of used the Streak as my only device even if i may of used a Bluetooth headset most of the time.

The thing is no device or even OS for that matter will ever be the best or perfect for everyone but as along as it for you that's really all that counts.

@frenzyy

As i pointed out just above here if it's to big for you or you don't like it fine nothing is perfect for everyone, but it is for me and it seems quite a few others what's great or a better choice for you either the Moto or Acer are non starters for me as both have screens that are to small so get over it. I don't get why everyone has to think that what ever isn't good for them is rubbish and conversely whatever is best for them has to and will be for everyone else. I really don't care what anyone else thinks of my device of choice i choose it for me and what i want and need it to do no one else opinion matters to me at all. I think all these type of troll post should get immediate bans discuss the pros and cons of devices and even OS's but all this mines the best yours is rubbish type posts really pee me off. So go troll a Moto or Acer forum with your rubbish and tell them all how you hated the Streak they might just care.

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55

Guest griff_dai
Hi all,

Well I've had mine since Monday and am loving it as it just keeps getting better and better as it's my first Android device the Nexus One doesn't really count as i sent it back the next day, coming from a TG01 i wanted and needed at least the same size screen @4.1" or bigger the Nexus One went back because besides anything else the screen was tiny compared to what i was used to and i use my device mainly for data and Multimedia where a big screen makes all the difference.

I am loving the Streak and especially the screen it doesn't bother me about the lack of portrait as 99.9% of the time i use it in Landscape anyway and as I'm getting to grips with Android I'm loving that to only i can only imagine what custom Roms and 2.2 are going to do for us Streak owners and users. I also bought mine on the mobile Broadband Package for quite a few reasons the first was i wasn't sure if it was to big to be my only device or not and the second was i couldn't get a clear answer on what unlimited Internet actually meant so going for the tariff i have i get 3GB pm which for me is plenty. Also i still have 8 months left on my Orange contract so cancelled the data on it and will use that just for voice now to which end i just bought myself a Nokia Sirocco. But i feel i could quite easily of used the Streak as my only device even if i may of used a Bluetooth headset most of the time.

The thing is no device or even OS for that matter will ever be the best or perfect for everyone but as along as it for you that's really all that counts.

@frenzyy

As i pointed out just above here if it's to big for you or you don't like fine nothing is perfect for everyone, but it is for me and it seems quite a few others what's great or a better choice for you either the Moto or Acer are non starters for me as both have screens that are to small so get over it. I don't get why everyone has to think that what ever isn't good for them is rubbish and conversely whatever is best for them has to and will be for everyone else. I really don't care what anyone else thinks of my device of choice i choose it for me and what i want and need it to do no one else opinion matters to me at all. I think all these type of troll post should get immediate bans discuss the pros and cons of devices and even OS's but all this mines the best yours is rubbish type posts really peeing me off. So go troll a Moto or Acer forum with your rubbish and tell them all how you hated the Streak they might just care.

Marc

Well said sir! :)

Guest frenzyy

your name says it all so you can just post numbers like

This is not a phone, not a tablet dell screwed it up. i see people saying that this is a new trend in tablets, but no its not no matter how hard you want it

you Lose

I Win

Edited by frenzyy

Guest Dogmann55

@frenzy

ROFLMAO

Sorry but theres only one loser here YOU!! so go play in a Moto or Acer Forum no wants or needs your worthless pontifications here.

Marc

Guest rovex

Ive seen plenty of people struggling with the iPad, it too heavy to carry in your hand all the time and its actually rather easy to smash, ive seen them come out of bags cracked. The dell is ideal, Its smaller, can be held in one hand for long periods and will fit in a pocket. Im hardly losing since i also have a desire and an HD2, i can choose which i want for any given occasion, and they all do what i need at all times. If i had an iPad i would have to take a phone as well. THATS a fail to me.

Guest aktopshooter

Hey Paul,

I am very interested in this device. I currently use a mix of phones but the one that this device would be replacing would be my HTC Advantage. I would like to know how do you compare the two devices? I am in the U.S so it will be next month before I can get the phone. But the suspense is killing me. I don't care about the size hence I use the HTC advantage...

Guest maskaler

I've had this since Saturday, and for those who are interested here are my thoughts so far:

Good Points

Screen is beautiful, large and responsive to touch.

The phone is fast to use, flicking around screens with ease.

Typing is nice once you get used to it. The num pad is actually useful

Sound quality is nice.

Not tied to iTunes

Google-brand apps are really cool

Camera is decent in daylight

Bad Points

Can't seem to get any data signal at my work desk. Could get 3G on my iPhone. (may be just today..)

Facebook App isn't as complete as the iPhone one

Have to remember to clean up processes occasionally

Camera sucks at night. The 'flash' is pants.

I also downloaded Doodle Jump and it seems quite jerky on the Streak - has anyone experience this? I cleaned up some apps but that didn't seem to help. I'm wondering if it's just 'cause the Streak is on 1.6?

With all the above in mind, I think once we have a 2.2 ROM on there, custom or not, it'll be an absolute beast. The size of the screen makes me miss flash a hell of a lot more than you do on the iPhone, to my mind indicating it truly is a phone/slate hybrid.

Guest Andy Garton

Oddly enough I'm getting no data signal on my Streak today either (it's been fine the last few days in the same location).

I haven't tried Doodlejump get but the other guys I'm running (including Abduction with is similar to Doodlejump I think) all run very smooth.

Edited by Andy Garton

Guest SgtDavePwnage
your name says it all so you can just post numbers like

This is not a phone, not a tablet dell screwed it up. i see people saying that this is a new trend in tablets, but no its not no matter how hard you want it

you Lose

I Win

Frenzyy, stop being an arse.

You are just trolling...

Thats the one and only warning im giving :)

Guest maskaler
Oddly enough I'm getting no data signal on my Streak today either (it's been fine the last few days in the same location).

I haven't tried Doodlejump get but the other guys I'm running (including Abduction with is similar to Doodlejump I think) all run very smooth.

Have you uninstalled / killed any of the native apps? To be fair, I played the Winds of Steel demo and that was pretty smooth so maybe it's just something the matter with Doodle Jump.

Hopefully it's some kind of super strength-increasing 3G upgrade happening today then :)

Guest Andy Garton
Have you uninstalled / killed any of the native apps? To be fair, I played the Winds of Steel demo and that was pretty smooth so maybe it's just something the matter with Doodle Jump.

Hopefully it's some kind of super strength-increasing 3G upgrade happening today then :)

I have uninstalled a few things yes, including the trial Exchange sync thing (which I forget the name of) - I think that was the only one that including significant (possibly) background processes though.

Guest maskaler
I have uninstalled a few things yes, including the trial Exchange sync thing (which I forget the name of) - I think that was the only one that including significant (possibly) background processes though.

Ahh, Touchdown. Yeah, I've heard people saying that's a bit of a process hog. You don't need root to uninstall that, do you?

Guest asperian
For some odd reason this device seems to draw a good bit of bashing and I'm not sure why. The hardware specs look fairly solid and the extra screen real estate holds potential... but if I had a nickel for every time I've read "Too big to be a phone, too small to be a tablet" from posters that don't even have one in their possession... heh

In my opinion, there is no "odd reason" !

I do think it's only posts from a lot of Apple fanboys, who are very worried about the future of their "precious" (as they call it)...

And they're probably jealous also ...

(do you think Iphone 4 is really innovative ?)

So, I guess this kind of reaction is very encouraging about streak's future !

By the way, Streak is not only a tablet, and it's not only a phone ...

Could we find for it a new name, like for instance a "TABPHONE" ?

What do you think about this name ?

(I'm not sure it's OK, because my native language is french ...)

Hi to all of you !

From a poor lonesome frenchman, waiting for a Streak !

Guest Andy Garton
Ahh, Touchdown. Yeah, I've heard people saying that's a bit of a process hog. You don't need root to uninstall that, do you?

You do need root to uninstall it unfortunately. (Odd decision to make a trial app uninstallable via normal means.)

Edited by Andy Garton

Guest maskaler
You do need root to uninstall it unfortunately. (Odd decision to make a trial app uninstallable via normal means.)

Ah right, cheers.

And @asperian - I think someone already coined "Phablet" :)

*edit* - Turning off the Data connection and turning it on again seems to have woken it up - I have 3G at my desk now which is nice. Odd that it didn't work on its own though.

Edited by maskaler

Guest maskaler

I have advanced task manager which has an uninstall tab - is the app assuming I have root, or could this uninstall Touchdown / MP3 store and other apps which seem to be permanently running?

Guest TomDroid
I have advanced task manager which has an uninstall tab - is the app assuming I have root, or could this uninstall Touchdown / MP3 store and other apps which seem to be permanently running?

'Fraid not - I tried it and got the message 'Uninstall not successful'

Guest marra2

*edit* - Turning off the Data connection and turning it on again seems to have woken it up - I have 3G at my desk now which is nice. Odd that it didn't work on its own though.

Guest griff_dai

My Dell Streak will arrive tomorrow at my home and I will be a very happy solider :)

Just got to pay off my contract with Orange now and I'm golden. Took a streak on a 18 month £40 contract which is what I was paying with Orange.... Sad to see those Orange Wednesday go though :)

Dai

Guest griff_dai
My Dell Streak will arrive tomorrow at my home and I will be a very happy solider :)

Just got to pay off my contract with Orange now and I'm golden. Took a streak on a 18 month £40 contract which is what I was paying with Orange.... Sad to see those Orange Wednesday go though :)

Dai

Got it, bloody hell it's lovely.........

Just setting stuff up now :)

Guest thfc5975

Just got mine delivered today, now sort of wondering what im going to do with it seeing as i've just won an iPad in the office lottery. I ususally love my gadgets but this is overload for me lol.

Guest griff_dai
Just got mine delivered today, now sort of wondering what im going to do with it seeing as i've just won an iPad in the office lottery. I ususally love my gadgets but this is overload for me lol.

You know what I bet ya use the Dell more!!!!

24 hours in and i'm loving it to death! everyone in work was well impressed with it and the quality of it.

Guest qwerty1q

Hi Paul,

I have HD2 and next month going to update my wife's contract.

I consider Dell Streak?

- can u record all calls (both sides, quality etc)?

- do u have any decent navigation like Garmin or iGo8 on Dell?

- how long keeps the battery?

Thanks for all answers.

All the best