iPhone 4

Guest cezent

Guest wrxtc714

I wouldn't trade my nexus for the new iPhone

just as others suggest really nothing impressive

I'm using froyo and I dare the iPhone to please me more.

froyo is amazing and I started out with a g1 pre cupcake and no market and I still chose that over my iPhone 3g at the time.

And for the record

I've dropped my nexus dozens of times. On concrete. Sliding under my car falling in-between my seats hitting metal. It's still running strong. Just like all the abuse my g1 took.

ill never buy another phone except an HTC phone again.

Guest SatanR1

I'd like to see one in the flesh ......... but I'd still not get one, allbeit I think it's a huge upgrade from any of the previous versions.

I love my Android / Google Apps integration too much.

The open'ness of the OS.

Not having to use iTunes to even switch my phone on !!

.... The list goes on.

Guest DocRawk
iphone is not meant for power users who wants full control of the phone, but rather a recreational phone with features of a smartphone; it is simple to use, quick and responsive, and locked down so tight, you couldnt do much with it unless you really try. however, the app market of iphone is really amazing, brush aside the thousands of fart/beer apps, some top notch developers really put up a good numbers of amazing apps and games in the market that we (read: me) android users envy

i feel google should stop letting crappy manufacturers put this amazing OS on any devices, and just lock the resolution (wvga, hvga) and hardware (snapdragon, a8) down to tiers, so there is a standardization that the developers could follow and create better and more unified apps

The problem with this logic is that Apple already runs their show this way. Apple is becoming more and more known for their manipulative/controlling policies. Their recent spat with Adobe is very telling, and it is more obvious than ever that Apple really has no interest in allowing their users to manipulate the device as they see fit. More and more current iPhone users are getting sick and tired of playing the jailbreak game with Apple. The constant back and forth was nauseating for me and most other iPhone apostates. The possibility of having to restore before a new exploit is discovered and developed kept me in constant fear of losing the ability to use 3rd party apps (the only way to multi-task or manipulate the GUI in any way (EVEN WALLPAPER!) prior to iOS4). Even without the possibility of losing my jailbreak, a full restore was a 3-4 hour process because EVERYTHING had to be resynced including all media and apps. I can flash a new ROM and run Titanium BU in under 15 minutes.

Android phones are coming closer and closer to overtaking the iPhone. Heck, the N1 is an HD screen/camera away from preempting practically everything new in iPhone4. The other differences come down to aesthetics and whether you like fixed or removable storage. Developers are drawing lines in the sand regarding their ability to develop for Apple OS's in good conscience. There are two possibilities for the future of smartphones. Apple will concede greater freedoms to both users and developers, or developer migration (more and better apps) will make one or more of the next generation of Android phones the proverbial "iPhone killer." Android has eliminated "status quo" as an option for Apple.

Guest Nerds 2 You

I agree with what another user said about the front facing camera,(soo 2005) my Nokia N95 was the first phone I owned that had a front camera and came with 50 minutes/month of free video calling for the first year and I used about 4 minutes in the entire year. The technology was already old in 2007 when I got that phone and I hated using the feature and everyone I called hated using that feature as well, they didn't want to be seen when I was calling them.

I suppose for users in the US on AT&T this is a completely new thing that has never been used before but just like my webcam in my laptop it sounds like a much better Idea than it really is and it is even less usefull and practical than my Nokia was since you must be connected to Wi-Fi to use it.

Edited by Nerds 2 You

Guest Raviff
iphone is not meant for power users who wants full control of the phone, but rather a recreational phone with features of a smartphone; it is simple to use, quick and responsive, and locked down so tight, you couldnt do much with it unless you really try. however, the app market of iphone is really amazing, brush aside the thousands of fart/beer apps, some top notch developers really put up a good numbers of amazing apps and games in the market that we (read: me) android users envy

i feel google should stop letting crappy manufacturers put this amazing OS on any devices, and just lock the resolution (wvga, hvga) and hardware (snapdragon, a8) down to tiers, so there is a standardization that the developers could follow and create better and more unified apps

exactly, iphone is for people who use a one button phone, the only reason they need to do any changes is so they don't stay too far behind, because people will buy anyway even if they keep the same hardware, just change the look. android is more for the market of people who like tinkering with their phones, which is much lesser crowd than the iphone community.

it's kinda like comparing mac os with linux, aside from a few professionals, most mac users know how to read, write and send emails, while linux is not such an out of the box experience (what box? in most cases), but gives you much more liberty to do w/e you want with it.

Guest nicandris

hmmm does iphone still have only one key for all phone functions except volume?

point

i freaking hate iphones... i have one running android and i still hate it :)

Guest Droid800
Yeah, and I've seen the video of the Nexus one being tumbled and dropped as part of it's testing.... guess where mine is at the moment? Being repaired due to being dropped from 2ft- in it's case as well!

I'll believe it when I see it, along with the claimed battery life- the desire has a longer claimed standby time than the new iphone (360 hours)and we know how long that battery lasts!

The best comparison wouldn't be the Nexus One, it would be the motorola Droid. That has gorilla glass, which is about the only comparable thing to the iPhone's new glass. They also say its harder than Sapphire crystal, and is made out of the same type of compound as helicopter cockpit glass. From the sounds of it, it would take quite a bit to break it. (and with problems with the last three generations with glass breaking relatively easily, there's reason to believe that they did their homework this time)

Guest Droid800
iOS 4 has gimped multitasking. Devs can only keep certain APIs running, not any part of the app they wish.

The iPhone 4 only has 256MB of RAM. That's rather lackluster.

How does Apple win in terms of design? I can't wait for the issues from having your antenna wrapped around your phone and glass on both sides. I don't care what it says, people will badword up the glass.

No one knows how much RAM the iPhone 4 has because apple hasn't said. If it was the same as the iPad, they would have already stated that.

And what issues would you have from having the antenna wrapped around the side? Its no different than the old exposed antennas.

Take a look at Apple's videos about the glass; its stronger than sapphire crystal which is one of the hardest compounds out there. They wouldn't have put glass on both sides if it was going to break easily.

I think they made iPhone 4 quite appealing, the the available apps, iMovie, retina display, amazing battery life claims, at last multitasking etc..

Looks awesome to me, and other phone makers will have a lot to catch up to in the next year.

Gonna stick with my N1 regardless, because, well, I already have it and don't need a contract to afford what I already have, and because I like it! Still, if I didn't and was in the market for a smartphone..... (and don't tell me about USA-only phones like the HTC Evo :) )

sns

Guest cezent
I think they made iPhone 4 quite appealing, the the available apps, iMovie, retina display, amazing battery life claims, at last multitasking etc..

Looks awesome to me, and other phone makers will have a lot to catch up to in the next year.

Gonna stick with my N1 regardless, because, well, I already have it and don't need a contract to afford what I already have, and because I like it! Still, if I didn't and was in the market for a smartphone..... (and don't tell me about USA-only phones like the HTC Evo :) )

sns

I think I hate HTC's incompetence as much as I hate Apple's arrogance. :) still cannot get over what they did with the poor Hero.

Edited by cezent

Guest slaguru
I think I hate HTC's incompetence as much as I hate Apple's arrogance. :) still cannot get over what they did with the poor Hero.

Ageed.

I get the same feelings with my HTC Desire (the phone I got when I got fed up with dithering on the Hero).

Now 2.2 is out its a waiting game again to see if we are getting an update any time soon.

Its a great phone, but with the current sunny weather the screen is rubbish, and after waiting for a few weeks to have the chance to use copilot on it I found I could not see it at all.

In the end I go back (as I do a lot) to my 3Gs and get the task done.

I will be upgrading the 3Gs for a 4 at launch so I look forward to making some caparisons with he Desire.

Guest cezent

I ll be getting possibly more than one iPhone 4 at launch(one for my girlfriend, and at least another one to hold to offer on ebay for a profit when they sold out on launch day)

wont be replacing Nexus One for my own daily use, but will post some detail comparison from an Android fan's point of view, after I get the chance to play around with it.

Edited by cezent

Guest todbld

IMHO i think iphone's are for the masses and for the technology challenged who would like for there phone to do email full internet and have all there music with them in one place, these people are not interested in using the full capacity of technology they jut want something that handles there needs and is as easy to use as possible, and due to the popularity of ipods and success of itunes most of the world is familiar with using this software so apple has cornered the market there, also the customer service of apple is great i am a mac owner as one of my 5 computers and will have a hard time buying anything else in the future as my next laptop will be another macbook air, sure there are many flaws like if you loose your library you can't download it again free but for the general public its great. I do love apple and there products and there ease of use as do many people.

That being said i am a technology junkie and am always trying to make my life easier and more exciting with it, so for my choice of phones it is simple, i will and have been sense day 1 android, you can not possibly keep up with a closed system what an open one can accomplish because of just what we are all benefits of here anyone can create the next greatest thing or leap in tech for it even if its from there moms basement. the iphone never appealed to me because i had already had everything it offered and more with my 3 year old htc wizard, aka tmobile-MDA i did how ever make the leap of faith at loss of some tech when i went to the g1, i have been there every step of the way and the advancement in a short period of time has been absolutely astonishing. Besides is there really a better option that the cloud sync from google ? i had my doubts on how well it would work but have never been dissapointed now with chrome to phone all i can say is wow, jsut wait till you can use that same tech to send back to a pc or another users phone. Android is moving fast and getting better everyday and is peaking more and more dev's intrest with every step. I am excited everyday to be part of this revolution, and even though personally i think the new iphone 4 is still trying to play catch up even if it was new better and revolutionary, marvelous etc i would not trade or give up because i have all confidence that we can do the same in a weeks time because we have the world working on it not just apple.

So to all the iphone lovers like my one brother, enjoy i am happy for you if your happy, but for the rest of us and rest of my family sky is the limit lets not waste our time arguing over something that if we wanted we wouldnt be here

Edited by todbld

Guest AndrewTan

I am not an iPhone fans (I never interested on all 3 previous model) but I am going to get iPhone 4, I am power user and I believe after jailbreak appear for iPhone 4, it can be as powerful as it is. (I am the 1st generation iPod touch owner.)

iPhone 4 is soon going to replacing my current OMNIA II. Off course I will still keeping my Nexus One because I still in love ith Android. HeHe......

Edited by AndrewTan

Guest bedwa

Hehe..... I used to have an iPhone 3gs. Sold it and got my N1. Now I do keep a spare iPhone that I'm tinkering with (3g) to play a few apps through my wireless tether, but in comparison the iPhone 4 does not thrill me. The increased pixels don't thrill me, the "face time," hah! It's been in Europe with front facing cameras for years (my wife's Nokia E75 has a front facing VGA.), gyroscope is meh due to me having a compass app that registers pitch and roll. The N1's been hacked for 720p and if I really need to edit a video on the go I'll use a flash online editor since I have Froyo. iPhone? Meh, you have nothing for me.....

(Though I plan to sell my spare 3g to get the next Gen iPod touch which if Apple continues being sensible will use the "retina display" on. :) )

Guest malaysia9966
I would not switch from my Nexus to iPhone (IF iPhone could run 2.2)... just helping out the unofficial poll lol

samsung spoke person agreed that the display of i phone is 3% sharper than amoled and get this straight IT DRAINS 30% MORE BATTERY POWER.....

thats like saving ur penny to eat bread crumbs haha...

samsung super amoled is one of a kind screen....u cant mess with the world largest display maker...

Guest Deathwish238
I am not an iPhone fans (I never interested on all 3 previous model) but I am going to get iPhone 4, I am power user and I believe after jailbreak appear for iPhone 4, it can be as powerful as it is. (I am the 1st generation iPod touch owner.)

iPhone 4 is soon going to replacing my current OMNIA II. Off course I will still keeping my Nexus One because I still in love ith Android. HeHe......

Jailbreaking the iPhone lets you do almost everything Android can, but with a lot more hassle. Plus, the jailbreak community is horrible...filled with ads left and right, I hate it.

Guest cezent

unfortunately a lot of corporates are adapting iphone for business applications.I was just told today that my company is testing to swtich from Blackberry to iPhone for coporate email, and our electronic platforms are moving to utilize iphone app store too.

might have to end up using nexus one and iphone at the same time. unfortunately i dont see many (or any) corporates adapting Android, but on the other hand, If i have to use 2 phones, I would choose my 2nd phone to be iPhone instead of blackberry any day.

every cloud...

Guest cezent

looks like Apple has picked up some tricks from the Nexus One sales model:

the iphone 4 are selling on Apple's own online store, sim free, network unlock, £499 for 16G and £599 for 32G.

sounds familar, no? :)

Guest focus1

frankly i am tired of people cmparing my Android phone to that crap of a phone ICRAP. Its new features are old news to Android. Android is open source & moving along very fast & the next generation of Android phones will be in a whole new catagory, SMART ASS PHONES. Apple is run by a pompous ass who thinks he created something original, icrap looks a lot like a symbian OS phone my N95 8GB blows the icrap away Its lame to compare a non-smart phone to Nokias, WinMo phones & Android they all do More than the ICRAP. My rooted Nexus One w/cyanogen & an alternating froyo rom is above any igarbage. HTC has done more than apple could ever acomplish!!!!!!! F--k you for comparing that crap to my Nexus.

To Start, dont attack me for bring this topic up, I m not an iPhone fanboi and I have been with Android since the T-mobile G1.

Since iPhone 4 is ought to be hitting the street end of the month, its only fair to start a discussion about what Android has and has not vs this new boy in town. Others might have different opinion, but I think Nexus One is the closest rival iPhone 4 has out there, given it has froyo fresh out of the freezer, and its the flagship of android development.

I ll start by stating what I think Nexus one has and has not vs iPhone 4:

Nexus One has:

1) Flash

2) live wallpaper

3) wifi/USB tether

4) Full google integration/contact sync

5) multiple account support

Nexus One lacks:

1) gosh iPhone 4 looks good (i hate to admit but i do like it, especially the white one)

2) good game app (others might disagree but i m afraid its a simple truth)

3) video call (looks like this is ought to take off with iphone 4)

4) screen (it seems iPhone 4 has a better screen, but i m waiting for others to verify it)

5) long battery life

Now, let the discussion beging, and hopefully someone in Google is reading this too.

P.S. Somehow the white iPhone 4 remind me of the good old t-mobile G1, a slimed down version with metalic casing and without the keyboad :)

Guest masterpfa

+1 @cezent for starting this thread.

All together it looks an awesome package, which I will try when my friend upgrades. I am not one of those "let bash iPhone and Apple for the sake of it" I like a few of us own either an iPod or iPod touch or both, but for me IMHO until the iPhone came out, manufactures weren't too adventourous with their designs , whereas now, everyone is bringing their A-Game to the park, with some fabulous phones from HTC, Samsung and Motorola to show for it and I, for one, am glad for that.

You have to, to a degree, admire the way their apps are presented. It took almost a year after FaceBook released their app for the iPhone for them to provided a similar app for Android. True there are apps that we have available that iPhone doesn't but developers tend to release for iPhone first and users then it seems need to ask for an Android version too, TVCatchup for example, fine on my iPod Touch has been for ages, as well as BBC iPlayer, TwitDeck, official ebay, Buzz (a Google release?!?!?!) and many many more

What I like, now that the iPhone has been introduced, is knowing that Android manufacturers will look to up their game with even better features for Android handsets.

Before anyone accuses me of being a Apple Fanboy, that I'm not, New Technology Fanboy I am.

I don't care who produces it, if it's good, I'll take a look, no matter who produces it.

OK Google/HTC/Samsung/Motorola what have you to tempt me with? Upgrade due in November 2010

;)

Edited by masterpfa