Hardware hacking this puppy, input?

Guest popetodd

Guest kwenteen
I used this method and swapped out two micro sd last night.. 8gb class 2 and 8gb class 4.. both streaks boot and operate fine...

You don t have any errors when trying to install any soft?

Are you sure that your innersd is recognized and used by the system? (Via adb or a shell in your phone type mount, and look at the output)

This is really strange it is working with big internals sd without any mods... but I only tried with a 32 GB... :(

Boujou bien, k.

Guest Djp42
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Do you get an error message when you type commands?

Yeah. Mainly "Command not found". As i said earlier, i am a noob so please bear with me. I'll tell you where i'm at right now. Boot image is flashed. (I am running DJ Steves 1.8.1) and I have "closemount", "mountintsd" and "newmount" in my C:\ where i also have Adb. (i've added the path to this correctly in Environment Variables). Adb appears to work fine because when i type "Adb devices" command i get the serial number. Also, when i type "adb shell" i get the # symbol. My problem, i think, is this, i'm not sure how to break down the following steps from Stephens tut on page 5

"adb shell

su

mount -t yaffs2 -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system

exit

adb push c:\mountintsd /system/bin

adb push c:\newmount.sh /sdcard/gscript

adb push c:\closemount.sh /sdcard/gscript

adb shell

su

chown system.system /system/bin/mountintsd

chmod 0766 /system/bin/mountintsd

exit

exit"

and also

"adb shell

su

umount /sdcard

cat /dev/block/innersd0 > /dev/block/mmcblk1

"Wait long time"

fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1

p "Show partition table"

"Should show 3 partitions,1 5 and 6"

n "New Partition"

p "Primary"

2 "Partition 2"

"enter, selects first available sector"

"enter, selects last available sector"

p "Show partition table"

"Should now show 4 partitions, 1 2 5 and 6"

w "To write the new partition table"

mke2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk1p2"

I'm almost certain that i have everything set up on my Windows 7 PC as it should be. I just think that all i need is for someone to kindly take the time to walk me through steps 2 and 3. Telling me what i should enter and when. I hope that i'm making sense to you guys and that somebody will point me in the right direction. Any help would certainly be welcome.

Cheers

Guest kwenteen

adb shell

su

umount /sdcard

"Wait long time"

busybox_1P8P1 fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1

p "Show partition table"

n "New Partition"

p "Primary"

2 "Partition 2"

p "Show partition table"

Hello, where exactly are you stuck ? I know that fdisk commands didn't worked directly, so you have to add this busybox_1P8P1 in front of it...

those commands are only to be executed with your old internal SD still in the internal slot, and your futur innersd in the external slot. They are for copying the old innersd to the future one, and expand the extraspace that is on your new microSD, to make it usable by you, to stock your personnal files.

you don't need anymore to push the closemount and newmount, neither the firsts commands.

you only need the ones I listed above, and when you're faced with a command not found, try to add a

busybox_1P8P1 in front of the command line, it should do the trick !

good luck, and if you're stuck somewhere, please describe precisely where, and how !

boujou bien,

K.

Guest kwenteen
Hi!

Thanks for the help. Been struggling with this for awhile now. You are right, when I reformat the partion to ext3, it automatically mounts at /intsd. So I no longer have to manually mount it, just bind it to sdcard. The mediascanner trick works for the media player but it does not help other programs like the browser, camera, Evernote etc find the sdcard. They just report that 'Cant find Sdcard' and ends. So I cant use programs that check if a sdcard is present.

Wonder how they solve this for devices with no external sd?

what if you try the hard way, try to umount /mnt/sdcard, then mkdir /mnt/sdcard and bind sdcard and intsd ? won't that work ?

I would like to write a little script that would automatically bind the intsd with the sdcard, at the startup, so I don't need anymore to do it manually and then relaunch a scan... And in your case, it could work too with a small modification !

but : I'm not really good at it, you might better succeed, and I have literally no time this week...

here the lead DJSteve gave me, but had no time yet to explore it :

"if you edit the inits you could create a service to mount it when the sd is mounted (theirs prop set iirc when its mounted)

[11:26] <kwenteen> you mean like adding a condition with this iirc variable ?

[11:29] <DJ_Steve> look at getprop once system is booted theirs a property that gets set once the sd mounts which you can use to trigger a service (same way adb is triggered on boot if you read init.rc "

tell me what you think about it, I'll try to do it next week anyway !

boujou bien,

K.

Guest Djp42
adb shell

su

umount /sdcard

"Wait long time"

busybox_1P8P1 fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1

p "Show partition table"

n "New Partition"

p "Primary"

2 "Partition 2"

p "Show partition table"

Hello, where exactly are you stuck ? I know that fdisk commands didn't worked directly, so you have to add this busybox_1P8P1 in front of it...

those commands are only to be executed with your old internal SD still in the internal slot, and your futur innersd in the external slot. They are for copying the old innersd to the future one, and expand the extraspace that is on your new microSD, to make it usable by you, to stock your personnal files.

you don't need anymore to push the closemount and newmount, neither the firsts commands.

you only need the ones I listed above, and when you're faced with a command not found, try to add a

busybox_1P8P1 in front of the command line, it should do the trick !

good luck, and if you're stuck somewhere, please describe precisely where, and how !

boujou bien,

K.

First off, thanks for quick response. I've just done,

"mount -t yaffs2 -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system

umount /sdcard

cat /dev/block/innersd0 > /dev/block/mmcblk1"

got the error message "no space left on device. Failed."

Edited by Djp42

Guest kwenteen
First off, thanks for quick response. I've just done,

"mount -t yaffs2 -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system

umount /sdcard

cat /dev/block/innersd0 > /dev/block/mmcblk1"

got the error message "no space left on device. Failed."

dumb question but... what's on your new sd ? did you already put data on it ? do you have already multiple partitions on it ?

Guest Djp42
dumb question but... what's on your new sd ? did you already put data on it ? do you have already multiple partitions on it ?

my new sd (currently in external slot is a 16gig newly formatted). I had the 16gig in external and original streak 2gig in internal.

no partitions on either that i am aware of

Edited by Djp42

Guest kwenteen
my new sd (currently in external slot is a 16gig newly formatted). I had the 16gig in external and original streak 2gig in internal.

no partitions on either that i am aware of

you typed the su command before the cat one ?

if yes, maybe you could remove any partition that is on your new external sd ...

if that is not working, the most easiest way would to do that with another sd reader, and prepare your new sd card, with something to copy the data and partitions.

Guest Eu4ic
what if you try the hard way, try to umount /mnt/sdcard, then mkdir /mnt/sdcard and bind sdcard and intsd ? won't that work ?

I would like to write a little script that would automatically bind the intsd with the sdcard, at the startup, so I don't need anymore to do it manually and then relaunch a scan... And in your case, it could work too with a small modification !

but : I'm not really good at it, you might better succeed, and I have literally no time this week...

here the lead DJSteve gave me, but had no time yet to explore it :

"if you edit the inits you could create a service to mount it when the sd is mounted (theirs prop set iirc when its mounted)

[11:26] <kwenteen> you mean like adding a condition with this iirc variable ?

[11:29] <DJ_Steve> look at getprop once system is booted theirs a property that gets set once the sd mounts which you can use to trigger a service (same way adb is triggered on boot if you read init.rc "

tell me what you think about it, I'll try to do it next week anyway !

boujou bien,

K.

It seems like I cant unmount neither of /mnt/sdcard or /sdcard or /dev/block/innersd0p2 all returns: Failed

So I cant remove/make a new /mnt/sdcard

Ive made gscripts that binds intsd to sdcard at startup but that wont make programs use it (except mediaplayers and filemanagers).

I will lock into getprop, thanks for the tip!

Btw, upgraded to DJ Steve 1.8.1 with your boot.img Works perfect!

Guest Spike8585
It seems like I cant unmount neither of /mnt/sdcard or /sdcard or /dev/block/innersd0p2 all returns: Failed

So I cant remove/make a new /mnt/sdcard

Ive made gscripts that binds intsd to sdcard at startup but that wont make programs use it (except mediaplayers and filemanagers).

I will lock into getprop, thanks for the tip!

Btw, upgraded to DJ Steve 1.8.1 with your boot.img Works perfect!

Are you typing unmount or umount?

Guest Spike8585
umount

Is unmount a command?

I am pretty sure the umount command is to unmount.

But the command is umount.

I have seen this ridiculed on this forum before, so I am pretty sure that could be the problem.

I think our brains just see unmount.

Guest Djp42

Ok. I think (hope) i'm almost done. Following the tut on page 5 this is what i did tonight,

c:\>adb shell

sh-4.1# su

su

sh-4.1# cat /dev/block/innersd0 > /dev/block/mmcblk1

sh-4.1# fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1

fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 56370.

There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,

and could in certain setups cause problems with:

1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)

2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs

(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

p

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk1: 15.9 GB, 15931539456 bytes

24 heads, 23 sectors/track, 56370 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 552 * 512 = 282624 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 1 7182 1982220+ 5 Extended

/dev/block/mmcblk1p5 1 907 250309 83 Linux

/dev/block/mmcblk1p6 908 7182 1731888+ 83 Linux

Command (m for help): n

n

Command action

l logical (5 or over)

p primary partition (1-4)

p

p

Partition number (1-4): 2

First cylinder (7183-56370, default 7183):

Using default value 7183

Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (7183-56370, default 56370):

Using default value 56370

Command (m for help): p

p

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk1: 15.9 GB, 15931539456 bytes

24 heads, 23 sectors/track, 56370 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 552 * 512 = 282624 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 1 7182 1982220+ 5 Extended

/dev/block/mmcblk1p2 7183 56370 13575888 83 Linux

/dev/block/mmcblk1p5 1 907 250309 83 Linux

/dev/block/mmcblk1p6 908 7182 1731888+ 83 Linux

Command (m for help): mke2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

mke2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

Command (m for help): w

w

The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table

sh-4.1# mke2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

mke2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

mke2fs 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)

Warning: 256-byte inodes not usable on older systems

Filesystem label=

OS type: Linux

Block size=4096 (log=2)

Fragment size=4096 (log=2)

848640 inodes, 3393972 blocks

169698 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user

First data block=0

Maximum filesystem blocks=3477078016

104 block groups

32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group

8160 inodes per group

Superblock backups stored on blocks:

32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208

Writing inode tables: done

Creating journal (32768 blocks): done

Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 31 mounts or

180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

sh-4.1#

I'm hoping i've done this correctly. Problem now is adding the Newmount command to Gscript. I've done as suggested in tutorial on page 5

"Open Gscript, "add new" via menu button, select newmount.sh. Tell it to use root or su. Then press ok or done etc. Click on your new script. You now have a mount on your sdcard called "intsd"."

I couldn't find newmount.sh to select it although i've used Root Explorer to check it is in system\bin and it is there. I've never used Gscript before so if anyone could tell me what i'm doing wrong that would be a big help. Thanks.

Guest kwenteen

I'm hoping i've done this correctly. Problem now is adding the Newmount command to Gscript. I've done as suggested in tutorial on page 5

"Open Gscript, "add new" via menu button, select newmount.sh. Tell it to use root or su. Then press ok or done etc. Click on your new script. You now have a mount on your sdcard called "intsd"."

I couldn't find newmount.sh to select it although i've used Root Explorer to check it is in system\bin and it is there. I've never used Gscript before so if anyone could tell me what i'm doing wrong that would be a big help. Thanks.

Guest Eu4ic

Hehe, ok. I'm used to unix systems, thought unmount might be the android way of doing umount -f to force unmount.

Edited by Eu4ic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Eu4ic

Progress! Went back to official 2.1 8105. Here I can get the internal SD recogized as SD storage, both in settings and by programs (i e the camera, browser etc). Unfortunally they cant write to it. So close yet so far. Wonder how the syntax have changed from eclair to froyo?

This is what I did in 2.1:

mount -t ext3 -o rw,nosuid,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,commit=99999,data=ordered /dev/block/innersd0p2 /sdcard

chmod 777 /sdcard

setprop EXTERNAL_STORAGE_STATE mounted

am broadcast -a android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED --ez read-only false -d file:///sdcard

Edited by Eu4ic

Guest kwenteen

Sorry... didn t had time yet, will do that later during the week... you are using the new offical rom? In what is it different from the 180 or 181 ? Well done with the setprop... I m actually looking for information about how the internal and external memory are used in the galaxy S, but for the moment my gf doesn t relly agree to let me experiment with her cellphone.... such a shame!

If you find something about it, that could help us too maybe!

In your case, when are you executing the code? Did you put it in a script to be executed on the early stage of startup? ?

I don t understand exactly your last line about broadcasting... is it for all the apps to be aware of the new state of the sdcard?

Boujou bien!

Guest Eu4ic

>Sorry... didn t had time yet, will do that later during the week... you are using the new offical rom? In what is it different from the 180 or 181 ?

Well, I tried but cant get it to boot with the boot images from this thread. Hangs at the Dell logo. Something have been changed and I have not had the time to figure out what yet.

>Well done with the setprop... I m actually looking for information about how the internal and external memory are used in the galaxy S, but for the moment my gf doesn t relly agree to let me experiment with her cellphone.... such a shame!

If you find something about it, that could help us too maybe!

What a shame! So the galaxy S has an internal memory? I will check the forums for info.

>In your case, when are you executing the code? Did you put it in a script to be executed on the early stage of startup? ?

The code can be executed at any time. I just put it in a gscript and execute it after every reboot.

>I don t understand exactly your last line about broadcasting... is it for all the apps to be aware of the new state of the sdcard?

Boujou bien!

Found the info about the broadcasting and setprop commands at a forum for android-x86 and also at the iDroid forums (port of android for iPhone). It is supposed to make the system aware that a sdcard have been plugged in. But I cant get it to work on froyo roms.

Guest kwenteen

>In your case, when are you executing the code? Did you put it in a script to be executed on the early stage of startup? ?

The code can be executed at any time. I just put it in a gscript and execute it after every reboot.

That's what I'm wondering. You know you can put it on a script to be executed at the very early stage of startup. That could maybe fix the problem you're having ?

In your case, the only error you get, is that the newly mounted point is read only ?

what if you try to modify that with a soft like rootexplorer ?

BTW, the code you gave, is the one that was working under 2.1 ?

will download the build you're talking to modify the boot.img...

boujou bien,

K.

Guest kwenteen

Hello, Here is the boot.img for the 190 streakdroid :

boot.img

I tried it, it works ! :D

just upgraded from 1.8.0 to 1.9.0, no hard reset or anything, it worked... Just had to replace widget on the desktop in launcher pro

boujou bien !

K.

Guest kwenteen

and here is the one for the last official release, the AWS345 Android 2.2.2 build 15380 version...

dunno if that's the one you were using eu4ic, but it should work !

here it is... superboot.img

boujou bien !

K.

Guest Truenash

My internal SD card appears to have bit the bullet, looking to replace it. Is the tut on page 5 the most up to date one, and is there any difficulties with particular card classes or sizes? Also, anything that has changed since that tutorial was written in regards to running the newest Streakdroids?

Guest Spike8585
My internal SD card appears to have bit the bullet, looking to replace it. Is the tut on page 5 the most up to date one, and is there any difficulties with particular card classes or sizes? Also, anything that has changed since that tutorial was written in regards to running the newest Streakdroids?

Are you looking for more storage capacity?

If you buy a 2GB SD, it doesn't require anything more than a factory reset to configure the replacement.

If you want to use a larger card, due to Class specs, but do not care about using the extra space (how I did it), you can skip step 3.

If you want to utilize the extra space, then you can wait for feedback from other users, as I have not done this.

I think I remember reading that someone used a 4GB SD, with the factory reset method without issues, but I think it must be SD and not SDHC.

Thats all I got for you.

Hope it works out for you.

Guest Truenash

The only spare card I currently have is a class 4 8GB. I'm not fussed about the internal space, just want to get it working. I guess I'll give the internal space a go and see how that pans out, but if it looks like it's going to be a bitch I'll just stick with only being able to access 2 gb.

Thanks for the help! I'll report back after I grab me a torx 5 screwdriver...