Pulse Mini Kernel Source

Guest rjm2k

Guest BigBearMDC
BigBear, did you ever get your previous attempt at 2.1 to boot? The one you were working on before Huawei released theres to you? I'm assuming not, else you wouldn't be playing with the Mini source.

Actually, I got a self build 2.1 ROM running, but no radio, no WiFi, no sound etc.

But with the .29 kernel of the official 2.1 ROM.

Why?

Guest gusthy
Actually, I got a self build 2.1 ROM running, but no radio, no WiFi, no sound etc.

But with the .29 kernel of the official 2.1 ROM.

Why?

for sound, what about ADSP kernel config option?

edit: and dont this things need loadable modules? then you have to compile them too.

Edited by gusthy

Guest Speckles

Well, I'd like to play with the kernel, but I don't really have time to spend the unknown amount of time getting it to compile, and the radio part is a pretty important piece to have working.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Simon O

OK after some investigation and exploring through the boot.img I found that Huawei are being lazy and using the kernel from CodeAurora with their own config.

https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/?...m.git;a=summary

That certainly seems to be the right place for the code. I'm downloading it now and I've got the kernel config so... fingers crossed :)

Guest gusthy
OK after some investigation and exploring through the boot.img I found that Huawei are being lazy and using the kernel from CodeAurora with their own config.

That certainly seems to be the right place for the code. I'm downloading it now and I've got the kernel config so... fingers crossed :)

You won :P

I tried to find their source of wisdom, but you was faster :D

Guest DanWilson

So we now can have our own 2.1 - and maybe 2.2?

Guest gusthy
So we now can have our own 2.1 - and maybe 2.2?

I don't want to be pessimistic, but 2.2 is a different story - we wouldn't need only the modified kernel sources, but also the modified Android sources.

Guest Simon O
I don't want to be pessimistic, but 2.2 is a different story - we wouldn't need only the modified kernel sources, but also the modified Android sources.

Which appear to be on CodeAurora also.

Bad news... my Ubuntu installation has died so I need to do a re-install :)

Guest BigBearMDC

Would you mind to just quick paste the link?

What happened to your installation?

Guest DanWilson

I shall attend its burial. Oh what, you threw it out? Damn! Did you lose any important Pulse stuffs?

Guest Simon O
I shall attend its burial. Oh what, you threw it out? Damn! Did you lose any important Pulse stuffs?

Nope. I dual-booted with Windows :)

Guest DanWilson
Nope. I dual-booted with Windows :)

Windows + Linux = Flibblesan Way

Windows + Mac = PARTAY WAY

Come to the multi-colored and blinding side, we have booze!

Guest Simon O
Windows + Linux = Flibblesan Way

Windows + Mac = PARTAY WAY

Come to the multi-colored and blinding side, we have booze!

I'm on AMD. No Mac love for me :)

Guest il_cholo

super off topic:

Yes love for you. I forget the distro but there is a AMD distro.

bring us the love partay giving us the link for that amdlovingdistro :)

BeachBlanketBingoBigPic.jpg

party.gif

worms_-_world_party_a2.jpg

Guest Tom G

What makes you think they are using unmodified codeaurora code? I know their builds are based on the codeaurora code (the 2.1 images have codeaurora written all over them) but I expect parts of it (particularly the kernel) are modified significantly.

Guest Simon O
What makes you think they are using unmodified codeaurora code? I know their builds are based on the codeaurora code (the 2.1 images have codeaurora written all over them) but I expect parts of it (particularly the kernel) are modified significantly.

I didn't think the kernel is unmodified. Just thought it would be easy to compile now we know the source.

Didn't realise people already knew this :)

Guest gusthy
I didn't think the kernel is unmodified. Just thought it would be easy to compile now we know the source.

Didn't realise people already knew this :D

For example I did not know it :)

I quess it might be possible to mix CodeAurora with Pulse Mini source's U8220 parts... when I played with the latter, it seemed that the most importabt missing parts from Mini sources are not hhe huawei specific files, but the 720(0|1)A parts which are in Aurora, or am I wrong?

Guest McSpoon

My understanding is that the CodeAurora forum takes the AOSP code and extends it to support various Qualcomm chipsets and products. So Huawei, HTC, and others, can take the CodeAurora branch (assuming their phone uses some Qualcomm parts) before porting to a specific set of hardware. Using the CodeAurora branch just makes it a little easier but there would still be a huge amount of work involved to port to the Pulse, especially for the bits that aren't supplied by Qualcomm.

There is support for the msm7201A chipset in CodeAurora but it looks like they stopped supporting it after Cupcake. All of their branches of Donut, Eclair and FroYo appear to be for the msm7627 and qsd8650 instead (listed here). Does anyone know if we could use a msm7627 target instead? (although even if we can, I suspect it would take an insane amount of effort to port for the Pulse.)

Guest Simon O

the boot image has a lot of references to the msm7627 so I guess this is what Huawei are using. They seem to be using the same code for all the Android phones they are producing, so far. I guess one kernel source and different configs make it all easier to manage.

Guest Josh04
My understanding is that the CodeAurora forum takes the AOSP code and extends it to support various Qualcomm chipsets and products. So Huawei, HTC, and others, can take the CodeAurora branch (assuming their phone uses some Qualcomm parts) before porting to a specific set of hardware. Using the CodeAurora branch just makes it a little easier but there would still be a huge amount of work involved to port to the Pulse, especially for the bits that aren't supplied by Qualcomm.

There is support for the msm7201A chipset in CodeAurora but it looks like they stopped supporting it after Cupcake. All of their branches of Donut, Eclair and FroYo appear to be for the msm7627 and qsd8650 instead (listed here). Does anyone know if we could use a msm7627 target instead? (although even if we can, I suspect it would take an insane amount of effort to port for the Pulse.)

The impression I got back when I was thumbing through the CodeAurora stuff was that their MSM72xx stuff stopped being released there because it was merged upstream into AOSP (After all, the G1 etc used the MSM72xx chipset, there is support for MSM72xx). I might be wrong though, I can't remember what gave me that impression.

The impression I got back when I was thumbing through the CodeAurora stuff was that their MSM72xx stuff stopped being released there because it was merged upstream into AOSP (After all, the G1 etc used the MSM72xx chipset, there is support for MSM72xx). I might be wrong though, I can't remember what gave me that impression.

Could anyone show me how you are trying to compile the sources? I've done some tweaking to kernels before but now i'm just getting:

Makefile:309: warning: overriding commands for target `/home/richard/Android/Pulse'

Makefile:112: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/home/richard/Android/Pulse'

Makefile:309: warning: overriding commands for target `Mini'

Makefile:112: warning: ignoring old commands for target `Mini'

Makefile:309: warning: overriding commands for target `TMO'

Makefile:112: warning: ignoring old commands for target `TMO'

Makefile:309: warning: overriding commands for target `source'

Makefile:112: warning: ignoring old commands for target `source'

Makefile:310: /home/richard/Android/Pulse: No such file or directory

Makefile:310: Mini: No such file or directory

Makefile:310: TMO: No such file or directory

Makefile:310: source: No such file or directory

Makefile:310: code/huawei_archive_0507/kernel/scripts/Kbuild.include: No such file or directory

Makefile:532: /home/richard/Android/Pulse: No such file or directory

Makefile:532: Mini: No such file or directory

Makefile:532: TMO: No such file or directory

Makefile:532: source: No such file or directory

Makefile:532: code/huawei_archive_0507/kernel/arch/arm/Makefile: No such file or directory

make: *** No rule to make target `code/huawei_archive_0507/kernel/arch/arm/Makefile'.  Stop.

This is from the pulse mini kernel btw not the one from CodeAurora

Guest gusthy
Could anyone show me how you are trying to compile the sources? I've done some tweaking to kernels before but now i'm just getting:

Makefile:309: warning: overriding commands for target `/home/richard/Android/Pulse'

Makefile:112: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/home/richard/Android/Pulse'

Makefile:309: warning: overriding commands for target `Mini'

Makefile:112: warning: ignoring old commands for target `Mini'

Makefile:309: warning: overriding commands for target `TMO'

Makefile:112: warning: ignoring old commands for target `TMO'

Makefile:309: warning: overriding commands for target `source'

Makefile:112: warning: ignoring old commands for target `source'

Makefile:310: /home/richard/Android/Pulse: No such file or directory

Makefile:310: Mini: No such file or directory

Makefile:310: TMO: No such file or directory

Makefile:310: source: No such file or directory

Makefile:310: code/huawei_archive_0507/kernel/scripts/Kbuild.include: No such file or directory

Makefile:532: /home/richard/Android/Pulse: No such file or directory

Makefile:532: Mini: No such file or directory

Makefile:532: TMO: No such file or directory

Makefile:532: source: No such file or directory

Makefile:532: code/huawei_archive_0507/kernel/arch/arm/Makefile: No such file or directory

make: *** No rule to make target `code/huawei_archive_0507/kernel/arch/arm/Makefile'.  Stop.

This is from the pulse mini kernel btw not the one from CodeAurora

make menuconfig

load alternative config -> you load config from pulse /proc/config.gz gunzipped

save alternative config

then you make kernel with buildall shell script