FRF91 (deodexed) for LiquidE [Rev 4.3]

Guest phhusson

Guest phhusson
not even 15.. as expected.. bootloop... no love for the E :D

Fixed, but you still have your 30% missing memory.

The new rev also reenables ramzswap

Concerning that, can someone give me a dmesg on both eclair and froyo ? (whatever the kernel)

Guest sunrise3500
And I can confirm it doesn't work for SMS, god knows why.

The mail light works on SMS for me. Blinks fast, but I like it, much more noticable than stock :D

Just switched to your rom and loving it so far. Snappy!

Guest phhusson
The mail light works on SMS for me. Blinks fast, but I like it, much more noticable than stock :D

Warning, that's the slow blink, receive a call to know what fast means :D

And I don't get why it works for you ....

Perhaps you have some SMS app ? handcent ?

Guest phhusson
The Bad: Camera still seems oversaturated.

Yup, I still don't get how I this problem ...

Low RAM (~30MB) causes even very low autokiller settings to behave aggressively.

Perhaps better with ramzswap back alive ?

Though I know these are known issues, vibration doesn't work

Vibration does work, only haptic feedback doesn't work, and that's haptic feedback.

One is usefull, the other one useless.

Anyway, kernel with it pushed in Rev 4.2. Enabled by default (my vib is dead, so I don't care.), disabling is possibly with echo 0 > /sys/module/avr/parameters/vibr

and there is no camcorder functionality (maybe try cobbling one together using voice recorder as the audio input and the camera taking low-res pictures at a high speed for video input?).

Bwarf, the problem is in hardware video encoding, and you don't want to do it in software ...

However, vibration does work whenever I long press the home button or the search button, so you might want to start there.

Yeah vibration works in android, we get it.

Battery drain is higher than usual with WiFi on (I'm using the .63 bin's radio).

Wifi isn't radio related, and could you give a bit more precise numbers ? I've seen many apps screwing up battery life. Basically, with WiFi and pushmail, you should expect something like 20hours of battery life, or even more if you're in a lucky day. (I think I've still a bug in speaker driver somewhere)

The text for USB Debugging in the notification bar is labeled "Format" and has an Android icon instead of the regular exclamation mark one.

Yup, that's a weird one, I still d'ont understand it. Well the Android icon is normal for Android 2.2, it's the "format" text that is weird.

When a SIM Card is not present, the text "Emergency Calls Only" does not appear where the network provider text is supposed to appear when pulling down the notification bar.

Perhaps also a feature of 2.2 ?

One more thing: Chrome to Phone is outdated now, as there's an official Google Chrome to Phone app out on the marketplace (Xian LiquidF uses that).

Yes, I'll remove it from the release.

The Ugly: Saved the worst IMO for last. I don't know if it's because of the low RAM or a software bug on Adobe's part, but high quality Flash content has a tendency to run choppy and sometimes even crash the Flash Player. Here's an example of flash content that is choppy for me (if it's a RAM issue, Liquid E's should technically have no problem rendering it): http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/524485. Don't worry, it's not NSFW (though it might not be too suitable for children).

OMFG Flash is a CPU eater ! what a news !

If you tell me that this animation works fine on N1 or Desire, I'll take a look, but I don't think it does.

Guest liquid_it
Perhaps better with ramzswap back alive ?

I think ramzswap can help, and won't make device less responsive..

@phh, just for my info: the reversing & hacking you are doing is on even android core libs or just on kernel?

If I got it right, your work brings Liquid hardware available to any "standard" android distribution, while Acer version of android has some customizations (such as base address, etc) which make it not "standard" (for whatever that means).. Isn't it?

edit: Flash is a real cpu & mem hog, I tried some streaming videos from an italian newspaper site (low quality, standard framerate), and I got 10-15 fps, on a fresh installation, not overclocked.. too bad, a good flash implementation could be the real deal about android..

Edited by liquid_it

Guest phhusson

Rev 4.2, with haptic feedback, updated SU and ChromeToPhone

I think ramzswap can help, and won't make device less responsive..

I think it helps having many apps "running" at the same time and thus make switching faster, but "big" apps (hello flash !), might suffer from it.

@phh, just for my info: the reversing & hacking you are doing is on even android core libs or just on kernel?

If I got it right, your work brings Liquid hardware available to any "standard" android distribution, while Acer version of android has some customizations (such as base address, etc) which make it not "standard" (for whatever that means).. Isn't it?

Actually, the Liquid is one of the device with the fewest customizations :D, the base address thing is NOT a customization by acer, it's Google/HTC who customized it. (Thus, Dell Streak and one of the Samsung device has the same things).

Now there are some closed source things, that are easier to tinker with by rewriting them from scratch (hello leds).

Also there are some "simple" incompatibilies between 2.1 and 2.2 (hello camera).

Some things I do in kernel are done there, just because it's "my world", like bottom leds, or haptic feedback, that were done in android java part by Acer. Also I prefer kernel side, because it makes porting other ROMs easier (and Vache hates me because of that ;))

edit: Flash is a real cpu & mem hog, I tried some streaming videos from an italian newspaper site (low quality, standard framerate), and I got 10-15 fps, on a fresh installation, not overclocked.. too bad, a good flash implementation could be the real deal about android..

I must say it still works way better than on a PC. I've a P-M 1GHz (whose instruction set is waaay faster than an arm) laptop to compare with, and well, the liquid is definitely more usable.

Still downloading rev 4.1..

And update available.. ckkckck..

Sorry about that :D

Edited by phhusson

@ phhuson...

great work man! (even though i don't use haptic)

what all issues do you think still need to be resolved with froyo on liquid?

Edited by Rajit

Guest HustlinDaily

Haptic feedback is vibrations given off by pressing certain touch keys throughout the screen and capacitive keys.

Previous versions had these vibrations working on everything but the capacitive keys, the new update has it working throughout the phone (if you enable it)

Guest Delnar_Ersike

After flashing to Rev 4.2, and using it for a while, speed problems have mostly disappeared. The reason I say mostly is because although the phone runs very smooth now, LauncherPro lags a bit whenever a menu is brought up (say, Add Widget) and whenever I zoom out to see screen previews. Also, any time I load the Applications list, the device takes a very long time generating all the apk preview icons.

I admit I was wrong about vibration, it really did and still does work.

Flash Player seems kind of weird. I've found that if Flash content is compatible with older versions of Flash (9 or lower), it will run better.

I've looked around the web and nowhere have I read that the missing "Emergency Calls Only" dialogue is a feature of Android 2.2. Still, I don't think many folks have tried removing their SIM cards from their 2.2 devices, so I'll have to keep looking.

As for the WiFi battery drain, I noticed it at first when I was checking my JuicePlotter diagram and the battery seemed to lose power a lot faster compared to diagrams I had when running Eclair ROMs, but only when the WiFi radio was turned on. Going into Battery Usage statistics, Wi-Fi was at 25% when it was at 13% with similar usage on Eclair ROMs. Sorry I can't give you anything precise. :D

Edited by Delnar_Ersike

Well haptic feedback on soft keys is weird, the vibration is too strong, the keys vibrates 2 times if you hold them, and the worst is that there's no way to disable it.

Guest simoneser

Another thing i noticed that is not present in other Froyo rom is:

i don't know if you remember the "Long operator name" bug (Vodafone Omnitel N.V. instead of the shorter Vodafone IT that is shown with eclair and other phones (on other phones with Froyo it doesn't happen this thing)...well, i solved this problem 1-2 months ago posting a modified libril-acer-1.so with the long name replaced by "Vodafone IT " (10 spaces after IT).

But here's the problem:

With your rom, when i pull down the notification bar, i see that there are the Vodafone IT row, and below an empty row. So the space reserved for the operator name is too big. With CM6\Desire Froyo rom it works correctly with the modified lib.

I hope I'll find something to modify in services.jar... (with CM6 there was an option "Hide provider name" that solved that, but in Desire rom it was working by default)

Well haptic feedback on soft keys is weird, the vibration is too strong, the keys vibrates 2 times if you hold them, and the worst is that there's no way to disable it.

+1,stop it please:(

Edited by 14