Custom kernel for Éclair (LCR v1.7 and 1.6)

Guest phhusson

Guest phhusson
Can somebody, who knows how, make an OC 960Mhz kernel for 1.100.15 (or comp.) with NO optimalisations ( causing stalitily problems) at default 1.25V ? Thx very much :angry:

How do you know default is 1.25V ?

Guest phhusson
After patching to 2.6.29.6, I also updated my yaffs driver and lowmemkiller drivers.

What are the changes ?

I'm still using the old qsd6 audio drivers. The new ones that are in phhusson's git didn't seem to be done.

?

What do you call "old" qdsp6 audio drivers ?

I'm using the one that are in Acer's tree

Guest Nesli
How do you know default is 1.25V ?

And it isnt? :D Not sure :angry: Now, im using 921mhz kernel and I want to try 960mhz, cause 998 reboots/freeze in few min. after boot (normal version of 998 kernel, 998 kernel with 1,3V , TS fix, SVS doesnt boot at all)

Guest Calcvictim
And it isnt? :D Not sure :angry: Now, im using 921mhz kernel and I want to try 960mhz, cause 998 reboots/freeze in few min. after boot (normal version of 998 kernel, 998 kernel with 1,3V , TS fix, SVS doesnt boot at all)

just flashed the 920 kernel on top of LCR 1.7.2, system info still shows cpu frequency as 768, did I screw it up or is it supposed to show that.

How can I check the actual frequency

Guest djinferno806

@phhusson

hey just wondering, does the 998 regular kernel(not the 1.3v one) scale voltages based on speeds? or is it locked in at 1.25v all the time regardless of speed?

right now im using xian .9 with yours and his 998 kernel and its amazing on battery since it scales voltages based on speed. I would love to use lcr 1.7 though since the dolby mobile is amazing but worried about battery.

my liquid E runs stable no problem without 1.3v, id like to not have to use that much and therefore save battery(unless the extra power isnt noticeable) and keep cooler.

if anybody could answer this for me id appreciate it.

thanks

Edited by djinferno806

Guest phhusson
@phhusson

hey just wondering, does the 998 regular kernel(not the 1.3v one) scale voltages based on speeds? or is it locked in at 2.5v all the time regardless of speed?

right now im using xian .9 with yours and his 998 kernel and its amazing on battery since it scales voltages based on speed. I would love to use lcr 1.7 though since the dolby mobile is amazing but worried about battery.

my liquid E runs stable no problem without 1.3v, id like to not have to use that much and therefore save battery(unless the extra power isnt noticeable) and keep cooler.

if anybody could answer this for me id appreciate it.

thanks

Everything has already been answered :angry:

Yes it scales voltages, unlike acer's kernel, but acer kernel is @ 1.3V, not 1.25V.

Guest djinferno806

ok thanks, the only reason i had to ask was because you only put "static voltage scaling" on the 1.3v kernel and the regular one doesnt say anything about it.

it just confused me, sorry for being redundant i guess.

Guest phhusson
ok thanks, the only reason i had to ask was because you only put "static voltage scaling" on the 1.3v kernel and the regular one doesnt say anything about it.

it just confused me, sorry for being redundant i guess.

Just because I didn't know which voltage was used :angry:

Before I activate static voltage scaling, voltage wasn't set by the kernel, but by the bootloader, so I couldn't know just with the kernel. (the kernel sources mentioned 1.25V I think). I added a debugging message to know this default setting, and it's 1.3V on my liquid.

Guest xian1243

1.3V is actually quite reasonable... considering that the MMC slot (microSD slot) draws 3.3V... and there's a lot of I/O action going on. Plus, in phh's kernel, the CPU uses only 1mW on idle... so under/overvolting only affects battery when actually being used, not on standby.

(@phh, did I get it right this time? :angry:)

Guest xaueious

You just committed that audio stuff recently. The first one I downloaded used different files for audio and now it's different... But I didn't get the newer files working.

I just haven't seen that code used before when I refer to the Nexus One and other HTC sources.

This commit: http://gitorious.org/liquide/kernel/commit...b9a84ca958e748e

Maybe I'll try again soon...

Edited by xaueious

Guest phhusson
You just committed that audio stuff recently. The first one I downloaded used different files for audio and now it's different... But I didn't get the newer files working.

I just haven't seen that code used before when I refer to the Nexus One and other HTC sources.

This commit: http://gitorious.org/liquide/kernel/commit...b9a84ca958e748e

Maybe I'll try again soon...

You know that link's branch is master branch, and we're on Eclair's branch's forum thread ?

Guest xaueious
You know that link's branch is master branch, and we're on Eclair's branch's forum thread ?

Nope :angry:

Now I do :D

I'm new to this you see... Sorry. Don't shoot me

The updated yaffs stuff works actually. I don't see any performance increases though.

Is avs actually booting?

Do you plan on implementing 720p video recording at any time?

Edited by xaueious

Guest phhusson
Is avs actually booting?

I'm not sure, it's a total mess here :angry:

Do you plan on implementing 720p video recording at any time?

Not really, simple camera on froyo is higher on the priority list

Guest xaueious
I'm not sure, it's a total mess here :angry:

Not really, simple camera on froyo is higher on the priority list

Froyo yes. Let us to the minor tweaks then. Hopefully we don't break anything :D

Edit: enable avs breaks stuff. fastboot wont even recognize it as a boot.img

Not sure what makes liquidmkbootimg happy. Sometimes my boot images don't pack properly maybe. Fastboot doesn't even recognize it as a bootable image.

Edited by xaueious

Guest eumate
Froyo yes. Let us to the minor tweaks then. Hopefully we don't break anything :angry:

Edit: enable avs breaks stuff. fastboot wont even recognize it as a boot.img

Not sure what makes liquidmkbootimg happy. Sometimes my boot images don't pack properly maybe. Fastboot doesn't even recognize it as a bootable image.

Just change the 'deploy' parameter to 0-1-2 and it will work.

Always test it before flashing because a 'bad packed image' will flash althought is not valid.

Guest xaueious

I restored a backup and avs is compiled, but I don't know how to check for voltages though so I have no idea if it's working or how :angry:

I think it is. My SVS voltages are set very low right now to values that would previously crash and it's still working (fingers crossed).

Edited by xaueious

Guest phhusson
I restored a backup and avs is compiled, but I don't know how to check for voltages though so I have no idea if it's working or how :angry:

I think it is. My SVS voltages are set very low right now to values that would previously crash and it's still working (fingers crossed).

AVS really doesn't work for me ....

Guest xaueious

How do you tell if AVS is working or not? That's the thing...

Nvm. I think I'll read next time:

http://gitorious.org/liquide/kernel/commit...bd31a196c5fe9f4

By the way, is this commit to the wireless driver going to speed up powering on and off the wifi significantly?

http://github.com/CyanogenMod/cm-kernel/co...35ebd8f3dee229e

Edit: you were right. AVS isn't working. it also needs deploy 1.

I messed up my packing script, which was why I thought it was working. Oh well.

925mv works for sure though.

Latest .config:

http://pastebin.ca/1904992

Edit:

Okay I implemented the voltage on prompt, and it reports 1300mv on boot, which is weird because it supposed to be booting 921MHz at 1.275. Maybe the SVS isn't working either.

Is there something I can use to check?

Edited by xaueious

Guest xaueious

Figures this deserves a bump.

Recompiled a debug kernel to report voltages every switch, based on what phhusson changed in the tps65023 power management driver to spit out some kernel messages...

128MHz @ 850mv

stbt7l.jpg

245MHz @ 925mv

mDLBh.png

460MHz @ 975mv <- pretty good for normal usage on battery. 384MHz is a bit slow (that's working at 950mv)

dCgxF.png

Will test this for the next few days for problems. My night is a wrap.

To top it off

xQxwMl.png

Just basically took some commits to the HTC Evo kernel here: http://github.com/toastcfh/HTC-Supersonic-Incredible-2.6.29, and successfully built the kernel with updated yaffs2, 2.6.29.6, refreshed drivers/staging/android, and tweaked the delay on wifi to 50ms from 500ms.

But it does look like the HTC Evo kernel is just at 2.6.29.6... And they have Froyo already. I'm jealous.

Edit 2:

In the process of upgrading my kernel to 2.9.26.6, I killed the CONFIG_SWAP kernel option. Now my phone wont boot with that option enabled. At all.

I don't know how to fix this :angry:

Edited by xaueious

Guest Youngblood95
When i flash from recovery the file.zip it give me this error:

installation aborted.

Umount FS in main menù and retry

if i umount all FS from recovery nothing change

(sorry for my bad english)

phhusson thanks for what you do!

Flash. Without. Sign. Check.

Guest xaueious

Found some goodies on CodeAurora that everyone probably knows about already.

This is the tree here:

https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/?...clair_chocolate

I tried applying Qualcomm framebuffer, Qualcomm video patches without any issues. I also migrated yaffs2 2010 driversfrom HTC Supersonic on github. They also have compcache as a neat staging driver on cm-kernel's main branch. It compiles its own ramzswap.ko without further need for configurations. Of interest are the updated Android staging drivers, alsoon the HTC Supersonic kernel

I don't understand code. But this is just stuff to play with :(