2.1 release due in July 2010

Guest hecatae

Guest AerospaceMango
Is this now the topic for people who want 2.1 and their warranty intact?

Good luck to all of you with the Baltics ROM, but I know I personally can't afford to lose the warranty on this thing.

I'm with you, Paul.

I'd quite like to keep my warranty intact, and have no reason to upgrade BEFORE LG release it into the wilds!!!

And all this DESPITE the fact that I work in IT, and could do it with ease!

I just don't see the point of putting a Balkans ROM on my GB phone, except to come onto a website and boast that I have the upgrade before anyone else!

*But, that is just MY opinion!!

Guest RottenFoxBreath
I'm with you, Paul.

I'd quite like to keep my warranty intact, and have no reason to upgrade BEFORE LG release it into the wilds!!!

I just don't see the point of putting a Balkans ROM on my GB phone, except to come onto a website and boast that I have the upgrade before anyone else!

*But, that is just MY opinion!!

I felt the same until yesterday, and when I flashed it, it's much improved over the, what I thought, clean o2 rom.

It's a hell of a lot faster, no crappy apps, so it's clean, and with the same apps now installed as pre 2.1, I have 15 meg or so more space.(120meg free basic, compared to 106meg with o2 basic)

Lot's of fixes, like wifi now works on hidden networks, Alarm app is gone, and now integrated with the Clock app, it comes with live wallpapers, the lock screen is gone, screen and app changes are smoother, and transitions between them are smooth and scrolling.

Everything works as before, and is far, far quicker, so for me, I'm happy with the Baltic rom(in fact, to call it Baltic, is a misnomer, as as far as that goes, its just languages, and for me English works fine.)

I think the delay will be due to networks like o2 or Orange, shoving a load of crap, or tinkering with the apps/settings, which i could do without.

A quick text "ACTIVE" to o2 on 2020 and I got my network settings/message settings, and was up and running in less than 5 minutes.

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest AerospaceMango
I felt the same until yesterday, and when I flashed it, it's much improved over the, what I thought, clean o2 rom.

It's a hell of a lot faster, no crappy apps, so it's clean, and with the same apps now installed as pre 2.1, I have 15 meg or so more space.(120meg free basic, compared to 106meg with o2 basic)

Lot's of fixes, like wifi now works on hidden networks, Alarm app is gone, and now integrated with the Clock app, it comes with live wallpapers.

Everything works as before, but quicker, so for me, I'm happy with the Baltic rom(in fact, to call it Baltic, is a misnomer, as as far as that goes, its just languages, and for me English works fine.)

A quick text "ACTIVE" to o2 on 2020 and I got my network settings/message settings, and was up and running in less than 5 minutes.

Hmmm....I get the language thing, and reading back my previous post, it does seem like I'm having a dig at people.

But, that is not the case....I was just trying to put my thoughts across.

I've not been in any hurry to upgrade, so I'm happy to wait is my point!

I have followed your (RFB) posts on here and on GSMarena and they are nothing short of intelligent and informative.....

If I was going to upgrade because of one persons word, I think it would be yours!

(Though I'd still worry about bricking the phone!!)

Edited by AerospaceMango

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Hmmm....I get the language thing, and reading back my previous post, it does seem like I'm having a dig at people.

But, that is not the case....I was just trying to put my thoughts across.

I've not been in any hurry to upgrade, so I'm happy to wait is my point!

I have followed your (RFB) posts on here and on GSMarena and they are nothing short of intelligent and informative.....

If I was going to upgrade because of one persons word, I think it would be yours!

(Though I'd still worry about bricking the phone!!)

Thanks, lots of people had issues, or couldnt work the phone, and surprisingly with the amount of people owning it, I was amazed no-one was helping more..I like to play with things, and if someone is stuck, help, as I would think they would too. :lol:

Tell you what though...there are a fair amount of crazy question's there though..haha.

To tell you the truth, the steps i took to update were:

1. downloaded LG updater(well over a month ago, TBH), installed LG Android drivers, but never accepted any update. - just so the phone is recognised, by the pc, and updater.

2. downloaded the KDZ updater, from Ev1lM0nk3y's link a while back. but it's HERE!!! if you need it.

3. Set the phone display up for not sleeping, so the screen doesn't go off.

4. Set the phone for Development(Applications), enabled USB debugging.

5. downloaded the update file.

6. connected the phone to the computer with usb, and windows detected my device was ok and ready to use, also made sure the battery level was quite high(mine was sat at 80%)

7. ran windows enabler(double clicking on xp to make sure enabler, in the taskbar it says "ON" on it's little icon next to the windows time on the taskbar. NOTE: IF you are running Windows 7, Run Windows Enabler, as Administrator

8. Clicked and ran the KDZ flasher.

9. Clicked icon next to the top window, and selected "3GQCT " *

* = You have to click the icon,once to activate it, then again to use it..

10. On the window with the folder icon next to it, directed it to the firmware file location.

11. Then clicked the bar with the "????? ????????? ??" on it.

12. Sat back and prayed for a miracle..lol

phone restarts 3 times I think, once with black screen, the other two with the "emergency mode" on a blue screen.

then it finally booted back up to the home screen and the flasher stopped running scripts.

You know you are onto a winner, when the LG logo is plain white, and the turn off animation has changed too, then one final reboot, and it should eventually stop running scripts and be on the "Welcome To LG GT540" screen.

I get the sneaking suspicion that peoples updates fail at the 4% mark, due to the screen/phone going to sleep., but maybe that's just me.

Thanks, lots of people had issues, or couldnt work the phone, and surprisingly with the amount of people owning it, I was amazed no-one was helping more..I like to play with things, and if someone is stuck, help, as I would think they would too. :lol:

Tell you what though...there are a fair amount of crazy question's there though..haha.

1. downloaded LG updater(well over a month ago, TBH), installed LG Android drivers, but never accepted any update. - just so the phone is recognised, by the pc, and updater.

2. downloaded the KDZ updater, from Ev1lM0nk3y's link a while back. but it's HERE!!! if you need it.

6. connected the phone to the computer with usb, and windows detected my device was ok and ready to use.

7. ran windows enabler(double clicking on xp to make sure enabler, in the taskbar it says "ON" on it's little icon next to the windows time on the taskbar.

10. On the window with the folder icon next to it, directed it to the firmware file location.

phone restarts 3 times I think, once with black screen, the other two with the "emergency mode" on a blue screen.

then it finally booted back up to the home screen and the flasher stopped running scripts.

You know you are onto a winner, when the LG logo is plain white, and the turn off animation has changed too, then one final reboot, and it should eventually stop running scripts and be on the "Welcome To LG GT540" screen.

i did all that also, my computer froze and now my phone either restarts to LG logo all the time or i can put it in download mode.

thats it.... any help? please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest PaulZero

I agree, and to be honest even those who don't apparently work in IT are doing this with ease. I just know that if I was one of the unfortunate sods who ended up with a paperweight, I wouldn't be able to replace this handset (I simply don't have £100 kicking about right now). Even if I mildly borked it, and had to spend a whole day messing about with it I'm not sure the resulting stress would be too good for me right now. So I'm happy to wait.

Lot's of fixes, like wifi now works on hidden networks, Alarm app is gone, and now integrated with the Clock app, it comes with live wallpapers, the lock screen is gone, screen and app changes are smoother, and transitions between them are smooth and scrolling.

Everything works as before, and is far, far quicker, so for me, I'm happy with the Baltic rom(in fact, to call it Baltic, is a misnomer, as as far as that goes, its just languages, and for me English works fine.)

I think the delay will be due to networks like o2 or Orange, shoving a load of crap, or tinkering with the apps/settings, which i could do without.

It sounds like a great upgrade and I am looking forward to it all the more for all the positive feedback I've seen on here. I wasn't having a dig either really, it's for people to decide whether to go with the unofficial early upgrade or not and the majority of people seem really happy with that choice. I am by no means a stranger to wrecking warranties (I used to be a fan of tinkering with graphics card BIOS settings, a hell of a lot of tinkering with voltage and overclocking and flashing... And then looking for a PCI card because it won't boot), however I think I'm just getting all boring in my mid twenties.

Still, roll on the official release!

Guest RottenFoxBreath
I agree, and to be honest even those who don't apparently work in IT are doing this with ease. I just know that if I was one of the unfortunate sods who ended up with a paperweight, I wouldn't be able to replace this handset (I simply don't have £100 kicking about right now). Even if I mildly borked it, and had to spend a whole day messing about with it I'm not sure the resulting stress would be too good for me right now. So I'm happy to wait.

It sounds like a great upgrade and I am looking forward to it all the more for all the positive feedback I've seen on here. I wasn't having a dig either really, it's for people to decide whether to go with the unofficial early upgrade or not and the majority of people seem really happy with that choice. I am by no means a stranger to wrecking warranties (I used to be a fan of tinkering with graphics card BIOS settings, a hell of a lot of tinkering with voltage and overclocking and flashing... And then looking for a PCI card because it won't boot), however I think I'm just getting all boring in my mid twenties.

Still, roll on the official release!

Funny thing is...people are still bricking their phones even with official in country updates..

Either the LG updater causes it, or some other anomaly, but UK owners have bricked their phones with UK updates, etc...

Same goes for other countries too...It either has to be the individual phone software, ala network "enhancements" or LG's software is garbage..

i did all that also, my computer froze and now my phone either restarts to LG logo all the time or i can put it in download mode.

thats it.... any help? please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

somehow it picked up the phone now! but it keeps on sayding model dll msg not found.

ANYONE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest RottenFoxBreath
somehow it picked up the phone now! but it keeps on sayding model dll msg not found.

ANYONE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried these steps:

Power on the phone into emergency mode (VOlume down button + Power button), then connect to the PC USB cable.

Go into device manager on your computer, and under the "modems" section you will see one that says somethin glike "lge android usb modem", right click it and click disable.

Open up KDZ_FW_UPD and re flash to the 2.1 rom (V21b).

Guest AerospaceMango

6. connected the phone to the computer with usb, and windows detected my device was ok and ready to use, also made sure the battery level was quite high(mine was sat at 80%)

7. ran windows enabler(double clicking on xp to make sure enabler, in the taskbar it says "ON" on it's little icon next to the windows time on the taskbar.

I get the sneaking suspicion that peoples updates fail at the 4% mark, due to the screen/phone going to sleep., but maybe that's just me.

Doesn't seem to matter how many times I try to follow your hints.....

The KDZ flash doesn't wanna work for me! The only live button is the ????? at the bottom.

Think I WILL wait for the offish version!! (Unless RFB has any ideas???? LOL!!)

Edited by AerospaceMango

Guest RottenFoxBreath

The KDZ flash doesn't wanna work for me! The only live button is the ????? at the bottom.

You did run Windows Enabler.exe that's in that package i linked to, and ran it ?

If so, the other button should work, as it should now be activated.

If you don't run Windows Enabler.exe, the only button that will be active, is the bottom one!

you actually have to point it to the firmware itself..the .kdz file.

First press will light it up, the long bar with the "????? ???????? ??", second press will start the flash.

And also, when you have double clicked Windows Enabler.exe, make sure when it's on the taskbar, the icon says "ON" over it?

I take it the phone is connected, and switched on?

Also, if you use windows 7, you have to run as Administrator.

Guest acolazarov

if u use win 7 or vista start windows enabler like administrator, then press on icon near clock on tack bar to see ON on he.

Guest AerospaceMango
You managed to load up the firmware?, and select "3GQCT" right?

If so, the other button should work..you actually have to point it to the firmware itself..the .kdz file.

First press will light it up, the long bar with the "????? ???????? ??", second press will start the flash.

I take it the phone is connected, and switched on?

Won't let me select 3GQCT.....Just stays on CDMA

I shall take that last sentence as a bit of a joke, shall I??? LOL!!

Guest AerospaceMango
if u use win 7 or vista start windows enabler like administrator, then press on icon near clock on tack bar to see ON on he.

That'll be the problem then!

As soon as I ran Enabler as admin....BANG! I can get to the drop down!

Though it has to be said, I'm an admin on the network that I'm on at the mo!!!

Uh-oh...Download mode.....Upgrade started......will let you know!!

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Won't let me select 3GQCT.....Just stays on CDMA

I shall take that last sentence as a bit of a joke, shall I??? LOL!!

Yeah, lol...but you never know... :lol: crazy things do happen on the t'internet.! B)

Guest RottenFoxBreath
That'll be the problem then!

As soon as I ran Enabler as admin....BANG! I can get to the drop down!

Though it has to be said, I'm an admin on the network that I'm on at the mo!!!

Uh-oh...Download mode.....Upgrade started......will let you know!!

LOL...username change requested...twitter details removed...hahah.. B)

In the words of the Fast Show.."You ain't seen me roight!!" :lol:

EDIT: Waiting........ :lol:

EDIT: Still waiting on AerospaceMango's successful flash! ooeer missus!!! B)

Guest AerospaceMango
LOL...username change requested...twitter details removed...hahah.. :lol:

In the words of the Fast Show.."You ain't seen me roight!!" B)

LOL!!

Don't matter....I've tracked your IP......You can run but you can't hide!!

Guest RottenFoxBreath
LOL!!

Don't matter....I've tracked your IP......You can run but you can't hide!!

:lol: Well...Did you manage to flash successfully.. B)

Guest AerospaceMango
:lol: Well...Did you manage to flash successfully.. B)

OMG! It's a BRICK!

Oh, wait a minute.....not really!!!

YayyyyY!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice one RFB, and all the others who made it possible!

Now....all i need is to get everything back!

Guest RottenFoxBreath
OMG! It's a BRICK!

Oh, wait a minute.....not really!!!

YayyyyY!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice one RFB, and all the others who made it possible!

Now....all i need is to get everything back!

As a wise man once said...****ing awesome.. :lol:

Glad it worked for you mate..

I can keep my username, and not go into witness protection..haha B)

Guest RottenFoxBreath

Mango...you have to download "Google Sky Map", amazing app..,also "Wifi File Explorer/Pro" - for which you should never need to connect the phone with a usb cable again, for putting apps on or transferring files over your network, also the update for Google Maps from the market, and Google Voice Search, from the market.

And SlideIT keyboard is a good one too.

Guest AerospaceMango
As a wise man once said...****ing awesome.. :lol:

Glad it worked for you mate..

I can keep my username, and not go into witness protection..haha B)

O2...Send active to 20202

Is that the riight number???

I know you put it elsewhere, but I can't find that post, and the site wont let me trawl for it!!

:lol: :lol: :) B)

Guest AerospaceMango
Mango...you have to download "Google Sky Map", amazing app..,also "Wifi File Explorer/Pro" - for which you should never need to connect the phone with a usb cable again, for putting apps on or transferring file, the update for Google Maps from the market, and Google Voice Search.

And SlideIT keyboard is a good one too.

Love the SlideIt keyboard....had that before the upgrade!

Will be putting those apps on too, now that I trust you

:lol: B) B) :lol:

Guest RottenFoxBreath
O2...Send active to 20202

Is that the riight number???

I know you put it elsewhere, but I can't find that post, and the site wont let me trawl for it!!

B) B) :lol: :lol:

text ACTIVE to 2020 if you are on O2.

You might have to set it up as a contact first though..

Not sure as i added it to contacts on my old phone, so it was there as a contact, on my sim.

You will get 2 messages, 1 for WAP/MMS, and the other for NET/browser bookmark..just accept and run the 2 of them.