Got the 'stalling' problem? Rooted? Try this...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Kilack
What do you want form a custom kernel exactly? I don't really see a need...

P

Didn't the mounting with those flags have an impact on file i/o speeds?

If the only way to do that is through a custom built kernel.. then isn't that a valid reason?

Guest us1111
cos u will need to compile your own kernel.. LeshaK did it with his first public released zImage with root.. those rc files are in ramdisk.

You don't have to recompile the kernel to change the initial ramdisk.. At least not as far as i can see...

Guest rasp
You don't have to recompile the kernel to change the initial ramdisk.. At least not as far as i can see...

ok, share ur steps to change the ramdisk

Guest us1111
ok, share ur steps to change the ramdisk

Nope.. I'm not an android chef and don't have the tools at hand atm, but do know a lot about Linux, that's why I know that init.rc has nothing (directly that is) to do with the kernel source.

For more info (outdated, but you should get the picture): http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?titl...ack_Boot_Images

Edited by us1111

Guest rogo

After applying the lag fix, I got the "Out of space" message upon reboot. This was strange as I only have a few apps installed so far.

Looking at what takes most space under the data, I found it was the com.android.packageinstaller/files directory. There is a single file called tmpCopy.apk, about 60 MB. Googling for "tmpCopy.apk" brought up zero results. I removed this file and rebooted. Upon reboot, swype kept force closing. I had to restore this file and undo the lag fix, for the phone to work properly.

Anybody has any ideas what this file is for? Can it be moved/reduced/eliminated?

Guest zenkinz

new script to move the core data to /dbdata/data

will check if busybox exists, and whether /dbdata/data directory exists.

copy the patch.sh to your sdcard, I suggest using adb

PC-CommandPrompt$adb push patch.sh /sdcard/patch.sh

PC-CommandPrompt$adb shell

Galaxy-Shell$su

#cp /sdcard/patch.sh /data/patch.sh

#/data/patch.sh

script will reboot itself after the patch is done. I didn't check if the original patch was being applied, so if you have done so, please make sure you reverse that patch before applying this.

patch.zip

Edited by zenkinz

Guest Tyxerakias

Galaxy-Shell$su

#/data/patch.sh

script will reboot itself after the patch is done. I didn't check if the original patch was being applied, so if you have done so, please make sure you reverse that patch before applying this.

Great job, thank you very much!!

One question, why copy the patch to /data?

Edited by Tyxerakias

Guest us1111

# Check busybox install or not

if [ "`which cp`" == "" ]; then

echo "busybox is not properly installed, exiting"

else

echo "busybox found .. continue"

fi

exiting?? :)

Or.. Can you tell me where's the exit sir?

Edited by us1111

Guest mimocan
Nope.. I'm not an android chef and don't have the tools at hand atm, but do know a lot about Linux, that's why I know that init.rc has nothing (directly that is) to do with the kernel source.

For more info (outdated, but you should get the picture): http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?titl...ack_Boot_Images

Just a reminder, android is based on linux but it's not a regular linux system. Otherwise there wouldn't be that hassle about rooting and such, right?

Guest us1111
Just a reminder, android is based on linux but it's not a regular linux system. Otherwise there wouldn't be that hassle about rooting and such, right?

Yah.. That's why i looked it up :) Just to be sure.. And the kernel (which is the actual source for naming Linux) is almost stock.

As for rooting.. Try to get root as a regular user on a regular linux box and see what you have to do :D

Edited by us1111

Guest mimocan
Yah.. That's why i looked it up :D Just to be sure.. And the kernel (which is the actual source for naming Linux) is almost stock.

As for rooting.. Try to get root as a regular user on a regular linux box and see what you have to do :P

don't need to do much, a regular linux boot cd can do magics :)

Guest us1111
don't need to do much, a regular linux boot cd can do magics :)

Try putting a CD in your phone then (and discover the difference :D)

Edited by us1111

Guest mickeko
Thanks for educating me!

Remember, I'm just working off the other guy's theory that multiple read/writes are causing the slowdown and trying to learn a bit here, so my question is, in your listing, can the phone simultaneously read/write to say your 65 sd and 68 sd devices with no performance hit?

I'm not really that much into how that works, but as the OS actually sees them as separate ROMs (as opposed to the external microSD which is reported as a single blockdevice) it could be so, but I would guess any data from the sd ROMs pass through a single bus at some point, which in worst case could be the root of the evil (if it's too slow, datareads from the SD would "clog up" and cause a lag until all data is through).

I don't know the circuitry of the SGS, so it's hard to do anything other than speculate.

(this is PURE speculation) I don't know if the busspeeds are entirely separate from the CPU speed, but if they're not entirely unrelated this could potentially fix the lagproblem:

I don't know if it's possible to set the CPU to a fixed clockspeed when rooting the phone, but there's a possibility that the lag might go away if you lock the CPU to 800MHz or so (I wouldn't risk setting it to a full 1GHz, as the phone is probably not made to have the CPU work at max speed constantly). I would think that if CPU and bus-speeds are linked in some way, the buses would slow down severly when the CPU throttles down from around 1GHz to 100MHz, which could be causing lags because traffic is clogging up the bus managing the sd-ROMs?

I'm not really into technical lingo on this level, so I hope you understand what I mean. :)

Guest mimocan
Try putting a CD in your phone then (and discover the difference :))

taht's why it's not that easy to edit the init.rc as you do on a regular linux system, get it????

Galaxy-Shell$su

#/data/patch.sh

very good! but from my limited knowledge, does the script only move the com.android and samsung stuff, leaving the rest of the app data in original position? Is this as good, speedwise, as paul's original script?

Also, a small request, might you be able to write a unpatch script as well to reverse everything back?

thank you!

Guest zenkinz
# Check busybox install or not

if [ "`which cp`" == "" ]; then

echo "busybox is not properly installed, exiting"

else

echo "busybox found .. continue"

fi

exiting?? :)

Or.. Can you tell me where's the exit sir?

ops, thanks for spotting the bug :D

I have updated the sh in the previous post.

Guest us1111
taht's why it's not that easy to edit the init.rc as you do on a regular linux system, get it????

So in essence you tell me that because there is no CD-Player in the phone, we can't do stuff?? :)

Actually, no. Please explain in detail. I know that we are root now (and no mimocan, not with a CD-Rom), and i know we can manipulate the ramdisk (at least the chefs can). Please explain in detail why we can't manipulate the ramdisk and boot sequence. I don't have the time to install all the stuff to test it, but you seem to be pretty sure.

Edited by us1111

Guest Tanis64

Galaxy-Shell$su

#/data/patch.sh

So would be nice to have an unpatch script also

Thanx for this

regards Christopher

So in essence you tell me that because there is no CD-Player in the phone, we can't do stuff?? :)

Actually, no. Please explain in detail. I know that we are root now (and no mimocan, not with a CD-Rom), and i know we can manipulate the ramdisk (at least the chefs can). Please explain in detail why we can't manipulate the ramdisk and boot sequence. I don't have the time to install all the stuff to test it, but you seem to be pretty sure.

until u hv tried and done it, u wont know. if it was that easy, people would already hv done it.. the link u sent me btw, ive been that site over 10 times even before galaxy s was rooted trying to find a way in to root.. its just not easy when a lot of things are not documented..

Edited by rasp

Guest us1111
until u hv tried and done it, u wont know. if it was that easy, people would already hv done it.. the link u sent me btw, ive been that site over 10 times even before galaxy s was rooted trying to find a way in to root.. its just not easy when a lot of things are not documented..

:) What do people do who make new rom's?? I assume they have all the stages to work with? I've been in the embeded linux business for a while, even compiled the firmware for my router (and cross-compiled some tools for it) and in that regard you have complete control over every stage of the firmware. In what way would that be different on a phone (and i'm speaking linux wise, not Dalvik or anything other android specific).

Edited by us1111

:) What do people do who make new rom's?? I assume they have all the stages to work with? I've been in the embeded linux business for a while, even compiled the firmware for my router (and cross-compiled some tools for it) and in that regard you have complete control over every stage of the firmware. In what way would that be different on a phone (and i'm speaking linux wise, not Dalvik or anything other android specific).

ok, this should be easy for u.. quickly give us a hack that allows to change the ramfs.. talk lesser, work harder.. lol

Guest Archer13

BTW, remembered that /dbdata had ~130mb. But after JG1 I have only ~107Mb :) Flashed by Odin with re-partition.

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/block/stl9 275.8M 227.5M 48.3M 82% /system
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 1.9G 212.1M 1.7G 11% /data
/dev/block/stl10 [color="#FF0000"]107.2M[/color] 4.2M 103.0M 4% /dbdata
/dev/block/stl11 30.1M 1.7M 28.4M 6% /cache
/dev/block/stl3 5.9M 4.0M 1.9M 68% /efs
[/codebox]

Guest mimocan
BTW, remembered that /dbdata had ~130mb. But after JG1 I have only ~107Mb :) Flashed by Odin with re-partition.

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/block/stl9 275.8M 227.5M 48.3M 82% /system
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 1.9G 212.1M 1.7G 11% /data
/dev/block/stl10 [color="#FF0000"]107.2M[/color] 4.2M 103.0M 4% /dbdata
/dev/block/stl11 30.1M 1.7M 28.4M 6% /cache
/dev/block/stl3 5.9M 4.0M 1.9M 68% /efs
[/codebox]

use this pit file and re-do the odin steps again, ie repartition should be enabled.

cheers,

s1_odin_20100512.zip

Guest zenkinz
So would be nice to have an unpatch script also

Thanx for this

regards Christopher

its not difficult to create a script for that.

here's one, basically move back all the folders back to /data/data, and clean up /dbdata/data

I've not validated if its fully cleaned up (it should be), so use at your own risk.

restore.zip