Got the 'stalling' problem? Rooted? Try this...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest hihihehe
its not difficult to create a script for that.

here's one, basically move back all the folders back to /data/data, and clean up /dbdata/data

I've not validated if its fully cleaned up (it should be), so use at your own risk.

btw,i run the lag fix script from r2 rom and found out it screw my phone up..i have many apps installed before i run the lag fix.after i run the script and reboot,it keep getting force close error...

so i flash back to new firmware(JG3) to back to normal.but feel like my phone not stable anymore.sometime it reboot itself and force close error(rarely)..

also can feel a bit slower for whole phone..

is it the lag fix effect still there after i flash to new firmware and i need to restore back from the lag fix script?

Edited by hihihehe

Guest zenkinz
btw,i run the lag fix script from r2 rom and found out it screw my phone up..i have many apps installed before i run the lag fix.after i run the script and reboot,it keep getting force close error...

so i flash back to new firmware(JG3) to back to normal.but feel like my phone not stable anymore.sometime it reboot itself and force close error(rarely)..

also can feel a bit slower for whole phone..

is it the lag fix effect still there after i flash to new firmware and i need to restore back from the lag fix script?

if you have flash to a new firmware (assuming you did both csc and code at least) then it will be back to factory state, so lag fix is not there anymore, and you need to apply again. did you do anything right after you flash ur new firmware?

its not difficult to create a script for that.

here's one, basically move back all the folders back to /data/data, and clean up /dbdata/data

I've not validated if its fully cleaned up (it should be), so use at your own risk.

thank you for the restore script.

just a question, your patch script is just moving com.android and com.android.samsung files to /dbdata/ whereas paul's original script basically moves everything. is your method similarly effective? (coz if it is, then it's really good since it saves so much space!).

also, your restore script can it be used also unpatch paul's original method?

thanks.

Guest hihihehe
if you have flash to a new firmware (assuming you did both csc and code at least) then it will be back to factory state, so lag fix is not there anymore, and you need to apply again. did you do anything right after you flash ur new firmware?

after i flashed to new firmware(JG3 with CSC,CODE and MODEM), i nvr root or install r2 rom anymore..

so basically after i flash to JG3 to fix the lag fix problem, i just install back the apps and recover sms and mms from MyBackup Pro...

Guest us1111
ok, this should be easy for u.. quickly give us a hack that allows to change the ramfs.. talk lesser, work harder.. lol

Never mind..

But no, although it could indeed not be too hard, it's about 35 degrees here and at the moment I have some better things to do then installing chaintools and stuff and then go figure the whole thing out.... Although it is very educating (for some that is).

I guess i have to find out later myself indeed.. Seems that Paul (and LesHak) are about the only one who know what's going on inside the ROM.

Edited by us1111

Guest Kilack
use this pit file and re-do the odin steps again, ie repartition should be enabled.

cheers,

can you throw me a pit file that gives me 2 gigs? :)

what is the pit file exactly? just contains partition info? i hadnt realised that my partition had also decreased in size...

Guest DistortedLoop
I'm not really that much into how that works, but as the OS actually sees them as separate ROMs (as opposed to the external microSD which is reported as a single blockdevice) it could be so, but I would guess any data from the sd ROMs pass through a single bus at some point, which in worst case could be the root of the evil (if it's too slow, datareads from the SD would "clog up" and cause a lag until all data is through).

I don't know the circuitry of the SGS, so it's hard to do anything other than speculate.

(this is PURE speculation) I don't know if the busspeeds are entirely separate from the CPU speed, but if they're not entirely unrelated this could potentially fix the lagproblem:

I don't know if it's possible to set the CPU to a fixed clockspeed when rooting the phone, but there's a possibility that the lag might go away if you lock the CPU to 800MHz or so (I wouldn't risk setting it to a full 1GHz, as the phone is probably not made to have the CPU work at max speed constantly). I would think that if CPU and bus-speeds are linked in some way, the buses would slow down severly when the CPU throttles down from around 1GHz to 100MHz, which could be causing lags because traffic is clogging up the bus managing the sd-ROMs?

I'm not really into technical lingo on this level, so I hope you understand what I mean. :)

I understood you. ;-)

You touched on what the point my question was trying to clarify, but we're still not sure, specifically if the i/o to the internal memory is hitting a bottleneck because of physical limitations (limited paths) in and out of the memory. No way for us to know, as you stated.

As far as locking the CPU speed in your other suggestion, couldn't that just be done with the SetCPU app on the Market? I was using that app on my N1, but mostly to overclock the thing, and to force lower CPU speeds at certain battery charge points to (supposedly) extend battery life. There was numerous debates on the XDA forums about causing N1 sluggishness if you allowed too low a sleep state CPU speed.

I'm actually pretty disappointed in the sluggishness of my SGS so far. Only had it a week, and while I've rooted it so far, I haven't take the MCR plunge and applied any of the fixes from Paul or the other posts in here to try to speed it up. I just haven't had enough free time to do it yet.

I may play around with minfree manager and SetCPU on the current JG1 firmware I put on the thing to see if that helps at all. Maybe a 3rd party launcher as well; the SGS is a bit too iPhone-like for me.

Guest Kahnmao

busybox cp -rp /data/data /dbdata

mv /data/data /data/data.bak

ln -s /dbdata/data /data/data

rm -r /data/data/com.android.packageinstaller

busybox cp -rp /dbdata/data/com.android.packageinstaller /data/data

rm -r /dbdata/data/com.android.packageinstaller

rm -r /data/data/com.sec.android.app.samsungapps

busybox cp -rp /dbdata/data/com.sec.android.app.samsungapps /data/data

rm -r /dbdata/data/com.sec.android.app.samsungapps

reboot

Guest Tyxerakias
busybox cp -rp /data/data /dbdata

rm -r /data/data/com.android.packageinstaller

busybox cp -rp /dbdata/data/com.android.packageinstaller /data/data

rm -r /dbdata/data/com.android.packageinstaller

rm -r /data/data/com.sec.android.app.samsungapps

busybox cp -rp /dbdata/data/com.sec.android.app.samsungapps /data/data

rm -r /dbdata/data/com.sec.android.app.samsungapps

reboot

Why are you doing this? It's all wrong!

Guest aciduzzo

Please can someone help?

I did the following:

adb shell

su

cp -rp /data/data /dbdata

reboot

but after rebooting all i get is :

Sorry!

The application ...has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again

If i hit Force Close it does the same for all other applications and i can't use the phone. I took out the battery and replaced it, but still same problem.

I'd be really grateful if someone could help me with what to do to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: using the 'su' command i now get "permission denied" so it looks like i can't use adb to reverse this

Edit: full factory reset resolved this. warning to others: be careful!

Edited by aciduzzo

Guest AndyCr15

I've done what was said in the first post. I can't say things move any quicker. Also, when trying to install Asphalt 5 it has given me the error that I'm running out of space. Have I not done it correctly? How do I check?

Guest VarunRai
Please can someone help?

I did the following:

adb shell

su

reboot

Sorry!

If i hit Force Close it does the same for all other applications and i can't use the phone. I took out the battery and replaced it, but still same problem.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: using the 'su' command i now get "permission denied" so it looks like i can't use adb to reverse this

Using JG3 and encountered the same problem. All the processes go haywire! any reason for this?? I installed all my apps and then tried the fix. The size of /data/data was just about 30 mb.

EDIT: OUCH! Complete wipe did not solve this. Re flashing now. :angry: Complete waste of an evening. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? I'm using the JFF CSC and the rest from JG3.

EDIT: Re-flashed. Tried performing the fix, got the same results. Phone starts up, as soon as you unlock it, processes start to FC and it hangs. Had to flash again. Not trying the fix again until there's some clarity.

Edited by VarunRai

Guest tanzhjoash

i have a bigg big problem now.

ok it started when i wanted to undo paul's lag fix by doing this in better terminal-

su

rm /data/data

i did the above, BUT i did not complete the rest of the steps to undo the lag fix(mv /data/data.bak /data/data

reboot).. Somehow i stupidly went to reboot the phone, then to my horror, all the apps started to mass force close and it couldnt boot at all, like touchwiz all didnt work..

so in desperation, i went to flash the the JG5 firmware, thinking that flashing a new firmware would reset everything, but on first boot after flashing, the screen was black all the way, with nothing showing on the screen and only the menu and back button lighted up.

can someone, anyone, please please help me get my phone back. Its dead now *even after booting into recovery mode and doing a wipe...

how do i somehow completely undo paul's lag fix, or how can i reset everything back to before the fix was applied.

will flashing again work???

Edited by tanzhjoash

Guest zenkinz

I'm pretty sure you run into problem when you try to do a 'cp -rp /data/data /dbdata'

did you check and ensure that the data is really copied to dbdata before you create the symbolic link?

guys, you need to know what you are doing instead of carrying out the steps blindly!

Please can someone help?

I did the following:

adb shell

su

reboot

Sorry!

Thanks in advance.

Guest VarunRai
I'm pretty sure you run into problem when you try to do a 'cp -rp /data/data /dbdata'

did you check and ensure that the data is really copied to dbdata before you create the symbolic link?

guys, you need to know what you are doing instead of carrying out the steps blindly!

Right! So I reflashed and tried this again. Apparently, the entire /data/data folder isn't getting moved to /dbdata.

After the following commands, i get the corresponding sizes

du -h /data/data ---> 11.7 M

du -h /dbdata/data ---> 8.2 M

Can anyone explain why there's a loss in data? I'm guessing this is what's causing the forced closes, etc.

Guest Bizzie
Right! So I reflashed and tried this again. Apparently, the entire /data/data folder isn't getting moved to /dbdata.

After the following commands, i get the corresponding sizes

du -h /data/data ---> 11.7 M

du -h /dbdata/data ---> 8.2 M

Can anyone explain why there's a loss in data? I'm guessing this is what's causing the forced closes, etc.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that the cluster size is different for /data and /dbdata. That's why the read speed is also different.

Edited by Bizzie

Guest AndyCr15

So what are the commands to undo this? I want to try the other version, using a partitioned SD card, but I'm assuming if I've done this one, I need to put things back?

Thanks.

Guest Bizzie
So what are the commands to undo this? I want to try the other version, using a partitioned SD card, but I'm assuming if I've done this one, I need to put things back?

Thanks.

su

cp -rp /dbdata/data /data/data.tmp

rm -r /data/data

mv /data/data.tmp /data/data

reboot
This way you keep the same programs and settings as you have right now. You could also use this:
su

rm -r /data/data

mv /data/data.bak /data/data

reboot

Now you have all the programs and settings like when you just applied the fix

But if you want to use the version with the apps and settings on SD you could leave the files on /dbdata/data and change the steps needed, but I would suggest to first undo the fix as mentioned above. So you can't mess up things :angry:

Edited by Bizzie

Guest blaaez
su

rm -r /data/data

reboot
This way you keep the same programs and settings as you have right now. You could also use this:
su

rm -r /data/data

reboot
Now you have all the programs and settings like when you just applied the fix But if you want to use the version with the apps and settings on SD you could leave the files on /dbdata/data and change the steps needed, but I would suggest to first undo the fix as mentioned above. So you can't mess up things :angry:
I'm sorry, could you clarify which is the code to use to undo Paul's lagfix? ie. if I had just applied Paul's fix and just wanted to undo it, assuming I had done nothing else other than apply the fix. I want to undo mine too. I'm guessing it's the first one to get back to the pre-lag-fix stage?
su

rm -r /data/data

reboot

I wasn't clear what "right now" you meant when you said "This way you keep the same programs and settings as you have right now." Sorry just jumped in to the thread looking for help.

Guest Bizzie

You can use the first part of the code when you have installed the fix and added a lot of programs afterwards. What it does is copy the actual data from the /dbdata/data back to /data/data. The moved data is up to date.

When you use the second part of the code, you copy back the data which you already have in /data/data.bak (created when applying the fix). The moved data can be outdated.

I hope that it is a bit more clear to you now :angry:

So if you don't want anything more then undoing the fix, use:

su

rm -r /data/data

reboot

Guest fredphoesh
Side-effects ONLY if you hit the capacity limit. I'm working on that tho obviously.

P

Hi Paul,

Ive had my SGS for two days and have had the "database storage is getting low" message... came up when I was downloading a video using Dolphin and also when trying to install the motor racing Samsung app.

Is there a way to revert the lagfix script or apportion more space to that partition?

tx

Mark.

Guest fredphoesh
NOTE: This basically moves the application data stuff from the internal SD to the NAND, which seems to be faster. The caveat is that the size limit for dbdata is about 130MB, so if you go over that with your app data, bad things might happen. On the plus side, we're only moving data not the apps themselves, so filling up 130MB will take a while. :angry:

P

Hey there Paul,

I'm not sure why I have already filled up my system memory. I tried to install the Samsung car driving game and it was a 50mb file, and said I did not have space?

Im confused. If I have 1.72gb of space left on the Internal Phone Storage, then how can 50mb be too much? I had thought the 130mb dbdata limitation caused by the procedure you mentioned above was just for app data... so why then am I told I do not have space to receive a single text message unless I uninstall some applications? :D

EDIT:

Now its even more confusing. I have applied the UNDO-Paul's fix script and STILL I get the message "Out of space. Asphalt5 could not be viewed. Free up some space on your phone and try again." Whaaat? about 1.72 on internal phone mem, 5gb on Internal SD and 12 on External SD... so what space is full?

Tx

Mark.

Edited by fredphoesh