Got the 'stalling' problem? Rooted? Try this...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Kilack
On my SGS here is the disk free on the various mount points :

rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0

tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0

proc /proc proc rw 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0

/dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw 0 0

tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0

none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,cpu 0 0

/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0102,dmask=0002,allow_uti

e=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev/block//vold/179:9 /sdcard/sd vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_uti

e=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev: 166708K total, 0K used, 166708K available (block size 4096)

/sqlite_stmt_journals: 4096K total, 0K used, 4096K available (block size 4096)

/system: 282432K total, 240844K used, 41588K available (block size 4096)

/data: 1963904K total, 282272K used, 1681632K available (block size 16384)

/dbdata: 109760K total, 69056K used, 40704K available (block size 4096) <----- this is where Paul moved the /data/data to

/cache: 30784K total, 1636K used, 29148K available (block size 4096)

/efs: 6064K total, 4103K used, 1961K available (block size 1024)

/sdcard: 14086752K total, 2650144K used, 11436608K available (block size 32768)

/sdcard/sd: 1983360K total, 1971808K used, 11552K available (block size 32768)

The two in bold are the mount points/directories in question, the /data being on the much slower 2Gb(...ish) partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p2) whilst the /dbdata which holds the Android's databases and with Paul's 'fix' the application libraries exists on the smaller, yet faster 113Mb partition (/dev/block/stl10)

Hope this helps!

Not sure that really answers his question, that is showing the mount points but not what memory they are on.

breakdowns of the phones internals have shown....

there is 512 megs of RAM, either 8 or 16 gigs of internal storage (sdcard) of which 2 is declared ROM....

so..... where is this 130 megs of nand memory residing? it has to be on the same nand (the sdcard) ? which kind of makes me wonder why one partition on the same physical nand is apparently way faster..

Perhaps I am missing something....

Just looking at this, assuming that this 130 megs of fast memory is actually on the same physical sdcard which I assume it is..

I notice that that partition /dbdata has a smaller block size 4096

compared to the the data which has a block size of 16384

the block size in a partition has an impact on speed doesnt it? on nand memory setting the block size equal to the block size of the device is optimal.. what is the block size on that device?

Edited by Kilack

Guest pecheurs7

hi all.

My phone is rooted

busybox installed

adb installed on the pc

r1 installed

usb debugging on

when i go on the pc then

run cmd

go to folder tools

adb shell

su

i have permission dinied....

what is wrong

thks

Guest aeo087
Not sure that really answers his question, that is showing the mount points but not what memory they are on.

breakdowns of the phones internals have shown....

there is 512 megs of RAM, either 8 or 16 gigs of internal storage (sdcard) of which 2 is declared ROM....

so..... where is this 130 megs of nand memory residing? it has to be on the same nand (the sdcard) ? which kind of makes me wonder why one partition on the same physical nand is apparently way faster..

Perhaps I am missing something....

Just looking at this, assuming that this 130 megs of fast memory is actually on the same physical sdcard which I assume it is..

I notice that that partition /dbdata has a smaller block size 4096

compared to the the data which has a block size of 16384

the block size in a partition has an impact on speed doesnt it? on nand memory setting the block size equal to the block size of the device is optimal.. what is the block size on that device?

You're right, the smaller block size should reduce access times and that could be making the difference. That's pretty interesting, so in the end, there is no dedicated fast nand? only an internal SD?

Guest bambibio
hi all.

My phone is rooted

busybox installed

adb installed on the pc

r1 installed

usb debugging on

when i go on the pc then

run cmd

go to folder tools

adb shell

su

what is wrong

thks

Did the superuser permission app pop up on your phone and did you grant access from it?

Guest bigbadwolfie
You're right, the smaller block size should reduce access times and that could be making the difference. That's pretty interesting, so in the end, there is no dedicated fast nand? only an internal SD?

The block size in this case is related to the actual partition size. The larger the partiion the larger the block size to cater for the usual partition cylinders, heads and sectors combos found in disk partitioning.

If you look at the second section of my post you'll see the entries with /dev/block/stl?? these are mount points on the internal NAND drive, the ones with /dev/mount/mmc are those on the internal SD.

Edited by bigbadwolfie

Guest Kilack
The block size in this case is related to the actual partition size. The larger the partiion the larger the block size to cater for the usual partition cylinders, heads and sectors combos found in disk partitioning.

If you look at the second section of my post you'll see the entries with /dev/block/stl?? these are mount points on the internal NAND drive, the ones with /dev/mount/mmc are those on the internal SD.

So there are two nand chips in there?

I mean... everyone keeps talking about an internal sdcard.. sdcards are nand memory are they not?

So... are you saying there is 8 or 16 gigs of nand that is mounted as /sdcard

and then a separate nand that has other stuff on it like dbdata?

where did the talk of an internal sdcard come from anyway? its an embedded nand chip is it not?

if you open the phone up you wont find an sdcard sitting there?

excuse me if i have everything wrong.. just trying to wrap my head around things like others are here obviously..

Guest oxylos

stl9  /system size=282432K

stl10 /dbdata size=109760K 

stl11 /cache  size=30784K

stl3  /efs	size=6064K

summary: 429 040k = about 430MB of nand

Thats not really big amount, maybe there are another stl... paths?

Although I guess there is no chance to repartition.

Guest SBVerlee
If you want to undo the changes

adb shell

su

rm /data/data

mv /data/data.bak /data/data

reboot

You do it many times?

Can someone confirm this undoing method?

Guest X@nder

Not to offend anyone, but if you don't know what you're doing when typing these commands you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. If you do know what you're doing, you'll know how to reverse the changes.

Guest X@nder

Not to offend anyone, but if you don't know what you're doing when typing these commands you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. If you do know what you're doing, you'll know how to reverse the changes.

Guest bigbadwolfie

So very true! You have to remember it's a Linux operating system underneath the pretty front end.

Guest husq510
The bad results are wondering me,

Samsung uses there own moviNAND chips for this phone, witch should be able to reatch a speed of 54MB/s

Foto of the NAND chip on the phone: http://www.careace.net/wp-content/uploads/...assembly-14.jpg

Info from thad chip: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/sem...s_MoviNAND.html

Actualy those chips can be used for >=class6 SDcards....

Realy wired, but i hope it is a software problem....

Yes, looks like a Kernel problem with RFS. Did you try to re-create RFS with smaller blocksize like 4096 ? Dont know if KLMAG8DEDD-A101 is MoviNAND but it looks like 16K page size thats why blocksize.

I dont think moving stuff to stl is great idea.

Edited by husq510

Guest DLCI

Just a thought - what is the cache used for? It isn't swap and it's not that big.

/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Can you check what is the usage of each partition when the lag occurs (df -h)? Particularly the swap & cache ones...

Edit:

One more thing - I don't have the phone, but I saw complains that the lag is not constant - it just happens sometimes that the phone gets lagged. If the slow access to /data is the root cause, then the lag should be constant, isn't it?

Edited by DLCI

Guest Harlan Draka
hi all.

My phone is rooted

busybox installed

adb installed on the pc

r1 installed

usb debugging on

when i go on the pc then

run cmd

go to folder tools

adb shell

su

what is wrong

thks

Check on your device, and click ok!!!

Guest P00rSpy
Oh, great! Thanks, Paul! Can't try it right now since I'm heading over to Samsung HQ tomorrow in Belgium

They read my blog and contacted me after I posted a video on

because they were really surprised to see the Galaxy S being so slow. They invited me to come over and have a look at it together, possibly flash some new firmware on it. So that hopefully means Samsung is working on it or will work on it soon!

Is it a normal behavior on the samsung to side scroll the app from left to right ?

If not the it mean you are using another launcher, I would try to run the phone without it for a while...

Guest lgkahn

well i bit the bullet.. my phone was real slow too.. black screens all the time.. appears to be a problem when memory is below around 90-100 meg. .and swapping..

anyway.. i did the fix/workaround and it is much faster.. thanks.. i have about 45 meg in use in data/data with 50 user apps installed.

thanks a lot paul

now waiting for tweaks for the phone tried the metamorph transparent power widget that work on n1.. no go here.. it installs but does nothing.

really want transp. widgets and notif. bar.

Guest Arnon
Once again.. Maybe it's possible to do this trick onto a >=class 6 sdcard with an ext2 partition defined? Anyone tried this maybe?

It isn't that simple

when you cp the /data/data to /sdcard/sd it complains that it can't transfer the ownership (each file is owned by the specific app and I guess they don't have permissions to the sdcard

Guest Tyxerakias
Actually there is workaround - I just did it :lol:

I just linked everything except biggest folders in /data/data to /dbdata/data, and biggest folders linked separately each one so they would be in /data/data.bak/.

full script is here:

cp -rp /data/data /data/data_to_copy/

cd /data/data_to_copy

rm -r com.navngo.igo.javaclient

rm -r com.google.earth

rm -r com.navigon.navigator

rm -r com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftDUNQ.DungeonHunter

rm -r com.google.android.youtube

rm -r com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftHAWX.Hawx

rm -r com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftNOHP

rm -r com.skyfire.browser

rm -r com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftMCHP

rm -r com.sygic.drive

rm -r com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftAsphalt5.asphalt5

rm -r com.polarbit.rthunder2

cp -rp /data/data_to_copy /dbdata/data/

rm -r /data/data_to_copy

mv /data/data /data/data.bak

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.navngo.igo.javaclient /data/data/com.navngo.igo.javaclient

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.google.earth /data/data/com.google.earth

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.navigon.navigator /data/data/com.navigon.navigator

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftDUNQ.DungeonHunter

/data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftDUNQ.DungeonHunter

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.google.android.youtube /data/data/com.google.android.youtube

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftHAWX.Hawx /data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftHAWX.Hawx

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftNOHP /data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftNOHP

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.skyfire.browser /data/data/com.skyfire.browser

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftMCHP /data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftMCHP

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.sygic.drive /data/data/com.sygic.drive

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftAsphalt5.asphalt5

/data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftAsphalt5.asphalt5

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.polarbit.rthunder2 /data/data/com.polarbit.rthunder2

Surely you forgot

ln -s /dbdata/data /data/data

reboot

(and of course su) :D

Guest blaaez

Hey Paul, thanks for your tweak. It's wonderful.

Question: is this a "one-off" setting? or do I have to apply it again everytime I install new aps? or will all apps start putting their data in the /dbdata henceforth?

oh yeah, would I need to re-apply it after every new firmwae flash? ie. in my case, had flashed to the stock JFB 1st. You posted this tweak, so I did this. and lastly you posted your custom ROM which I've also just done. (all in that order) Do I need to reapply this tweak? (and no, I didn't wipe after installing your new ROM)

Edited by blaaez

Guest us1111
It isn't that simple

when you cp the /data/data to /sdcard/sd it complains that it can't transfer the ownership (each file is owned by the specific app and I guess they don't have permissions to the sdcard

Actualy, it is that simple.. You do the exact same thing as with the APS2SD construction. Create an SD card with an ext2/3 and vfat partition. Use the vfat as your default external storage and use the ext2/3 partition to mount the data partion on. I'm a bit short on time right now, but sure would like to try this out.

Some ext2 specific attributes can't be set on a vfat partition. That's why i mentioned the ext2 partion on the external SD card. So the plan is to move the internal storage partion to an external sdcard of higher speed:

1. Repartition the SD-Card to have a partial ext2/3 partition and a big part vfat partion

2. Mount the ext2 on the required location (where to script the mount at bootup?), and set the noatime, and other possible optimisations

3. copy the required files as per instructions Paul

4. Maybe there's a speed improvement?

Edited by us1111

Guest vitalijb
Surely you forgot

ln -s /dbdata/data /data/data

reboot

(and of course su) :lol:

Sure you are right, I have edited my post :D

Guest Arnon
Actualy, it is that simple.. You do the exact same thing as with the APS2SD construction. Create an SD card with an ext2/3 and vfat partition. Use the vfat as your default external storage and use the ext2/3 partition to mount the data partion on. I'm a bit short on time right now, but sure would like to try this out.

I didn't say it is undoable just that it isn't that simple and repartition is more work (at least IMO). Anyway I'll try to grab gparted and try that later today

Edit: seems there's a need to edit the init.rc to remount the partition every boot. Since I have less than a week on Android (coming form iPhone and WM before that) I think I'll leave that for the more experienced at least until I'll play some more with the emulator

Edited by Arnon

Guest Kilack
I didn't say it is undoable just that it isn't that simple and repartition is more work (at least IMO). Anyway I'll try to grab gparted and try that later today

Edit: seems there's a need to edit the init.rc to remount the partition every boot. Since I have less than a week on Android (coming form iPhone and WM before that) I think I'll leave that for the more experienced at least until I'll play some more with the emulator

Yeah if you try this please let us know how it goes, I am going to get my hands on a class 10 card and try it out, surely the fastest sdcards out there must be comparable in speed.