30/Jun r1 (4399) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Dell Streak (Android 1.6) with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Dogmann55

Hi Magxs

You missed my update to my post which i was obviously typing whilst you were posting, WinRar is just a program like 7-Zip but it means the files i download that are zipped or Rar'd appear as WinRar is all i was maybe clutching at straws whilst searching for answers but anyway your additional instructions of installing from the SD card worked and solved my problem as you can see above which is why it wasn't installing from E: but once again thanks for your input and help it is appreciated.

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55

Guest Magxs

Ok, I get it now. I wouldn't think that matters. Unfortunately, I am at a loss what your issue might be. Hope you get working again.

Guest Dogmann55

@Magxs

Well it's all good for me now as once i followed your advice and looked on the SD card and installed from there it all went fine i wish i could return the favour and could help you work out why neither of your custom Roms have worked.

Marc

Guest vinokirk

If I were to install the ROM does it still have the Dell 'overlay' of is it a 'vanilla' android?

Does it wipe all setting and installed apps etc (i.ehard reset)?

What advantaged does this ROM have over my stock ROM?

Have you effectlively 'trimmed off the fat' i.e., taken out all the unnecessary programs?

So the steps to get a MCR on my Streak are: 1: Install Root...2: Install Koush...3: Install ROM?

Sorry for my n00biness, this is my first Android device.

Edited by vinokirk

Guest courtlandre
If I were to install the ROM does it still have the Dell 'overlay' of is it a 'vanilla' android?

Does it wipe all setting and installed apps etc (i.ehard reset)?

What advantaged does this ROM have over my stock ROM?

Have you effectlively 'trimmed off the fat' i.e., taken out all the unnecessary programs?

So the steps to get a MCR on my Streak are: 1: Install Root...2: Install Koush...3: Install ROM?

Sorry for my n00biness, this is my first Android device.

Read the first post. Yes it has the dell overlay.

Guest vinokirk
Read the first post. Yes it has the dell overlay.

I have read all posts, like I said im a n00b at the Android game. All I'm looking for is confirmation for all of the facts listed above, just so I can be sure :lol:

Guest courtlandre
I have read all posts, like I said im a n00b at the Android game. All I'm looking for is confirmation for all of the facts listed above, just so I can be sure :lol:

The post has all the information you are asking. If you need confirmation, just read the post again. If you have doubts about it though, DONT DO IT. There isnt any difference as far as people can tell (except standard, it "feels" faster). Its not worth messing up your phone yet especially when you dont know what you are doing.

Guest Davyb

Paul,

Great Rom.

I have been playing about with it and cooked in some new icons etc that i liked from other roms :lol:

post-44676-1278002180_thumb.jpg

Still a work in progress but we will get there :D

Guest mwizen

Just to say thanks to all involved in the effort.

I am a newbie, coming from WM and iphone. My first Android phone.. Was actually scared I could "break" something, and be stuck for 23 months with a brick!

But the process was actually absolutely "painless", thanks to the amount of information and well written instructions.

Already got myself a membership, worth every penny of it! :lol:

Guest MrPokeylope

More than happy to pay for membership paul! :D

Keep the updates comin. :lol:

Thanks!

And a wee edit from my updated streak. It seems to like its update. Much more responsive.

Edited by MrPokeylope

Guest Andy Garton

Could anybody post a quick tutorial of how to do a nandroid backup and restore before/after doing a ROM upgrade please?

Guest courtlandre
Could anybody post a quick tutorial of how to do a nandroid backup and restore before/after doing a ROM upgrade please?

You need koushs recovery for this to work:

1) Go into recovery: turn on phone while holding down both volume buttons,.

2) Using the volume buttons to navigate, select update from zipw, camerca button selects.

3) Now you are in recovery, just select nandroid.

4) once in nandroid, click backup.

Guest Andy Garton
You need koushs recovery for this to work:

1) Go into recovery: turn on phone while holding down both volume buttons,.

2) Using the volume buttons to navigate, select update from zipw, camerca button selects.

3) Now you are in recovery, just select nandroid.

4) once in nandroid, click backup.

Thanks. Where does the backup go? And what do I do with it after the ROM upgrade has completed please?

Guest vinokirk
Thanks. Where does the backup go? And what do I do with it after the ROM upgrade has completed please?

It goes on the sd card under the folder 'clockworkmod'

Guest irus

Ok so I have read every post and the first post twice and I only have two question so please be kind as Im coming from windows mobile and I am a total noob :)

1. to add or remove something from the rom i just unzip then delete the apk that i no longer want, then rezip right?

2. do i have to do the nandroid backup? if so what is it backing up??

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

Thanks to Paul for this custom Rom!

I've got an issue and wonder if anyone can assist.

I loaded the custom recovery image, and assume it worked fine.

Then I attempted to load this custom Rom. Downloaded the zip file, copied to my SD card (renamed to update.zip).

Restarted the device in recovery mode, then selected the update package option.

Immediately after that, my device screen goes black. I've tried it a few times, waited 15 mins, but nothing happens after that so I have to remove the battery and restart.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Guest PaulVlagsma

It sounds like the behaviour you get after installing custom recovery image 2.0.2.0.

If so, install recovery image 1.8.1.7 again, and go into recovery mode, etc.

You're the man! Worked like a charm. I loaded 1.8.1.7 and then loaded the custom rom. perfect, thank you!

It sounds like the behaviour you get after installing custom recovery image 2.0.2.0.

If so, install recovery image 1.8.1.7 again, and go into recovery mode, etc.

Guest gingernator

Hi Paul, loving MCR R1. Any news on R2? One feature I would love is multitouch througout the rom because emulators are pretty much useless without it and I have to use my apple keyboard (not very portable), not sure if it's possible to port this onto donut though.

P.S I know this will come in the froyo update but god knows when that'll be.

Cheers