Liquid Tether 0.3.9-1: Wireless Tethering for Acer Liquid

Guest gengaro86

Guest malez

Hi and thank you for you great work.

I had not the time to install your latest version yet (New reco). That is the reason why I have wrote no comment yet.

Previous one what already well working (just a lak of configuration but i think you have worked on this for latest release)

I wil keep you infromed.

Thank you for your work

EDIT : looks like you have changed you signature beetween the 2 release.

EDIT2 : just a little advice : you shoud add a text filed on top of the 2 text area to explan what parameter it matches (SSID and WPA key)

Edited by malez

Guest gengaro86
EDIT : looks like you have changed you signature beetween the 2 release.

EDIT2 : just a little advice : you shoud add a text filed on top of the 2 text area to explan what parameter it matches (SSID and WPA key)

Yes, I had to change signature (I wrote in the OP to uninstall the other version first) because my main PC abandoned me and I had to export the whole project into my new main pc (EeePC, programming on 1024x600 it's a PAIN!);

I didn't add a text field because if you delete the whole text it will explain you what is it, but I'll add it if there are requests.

BTW: I'm working on a version for the new official bin, actually I've ported it successfully, but the user has to manually install busybox (via your recovery), and the iptables binary is missing by default so I've to include it in the apk too.

Thank you for your feedbacks :)

Guest erik501

Please in the next release and can set the password on a variable number of letters, 13 characters are also too many to use simple

Guest gengaro86
Please in the next release and can set the password on a variable number of letters, 13 characters are also too many to use simple

That simply can't be done.

Wep Keys must have a 32/64/128/256 bit value.

32bit means 5 ASCII Characters -> the password is too weak and can be easily cracked in less than 5 minutes with aircrack or other dogfighting programs, and you don't want someone to use your phone as a personal modem, don't you? ;-)

64bit means 13 ASCII Characters -> actually the best choice, 64bit passwords usually takes 2-3 hours of decoding to have the corresponding hexadecimal value, and 13 Chars means that you can use your 8-chars long usual password and then add some random numbers (your date of birth?), something like "iStrong641986"

128bit means 15 ASCII Characters -> password is strong, but it takes ages to find a 15-chars easy-to-remember password!

256bit means 21 ASCII Characters -> Geh.

I'd like to have a WPA2-PSK connection but it seems like that the wpa_supplicant daemon included in our phones isn't capable to have both mode=2 (Ad-Hoc) and wpa_psk set, it crashes with segmentation fault after a couple of minutes, and the SSID isn't up :-(

Guest ahsid
That simply can't be done.

Wep Keys must have a 32/64/128/256 bit value.

32bit means 5 ASCII Characters -> the password is too weak and can be easily cracked in less than 5 minutes with aircrack or other dogfighting programs, and you don't want someone to use your phone as a personal modem, don't you? ;-)

64bit means 13 ASCII Characters -> actually the best choice, 64bit passwords usually takes 2-3 hours of decoding to have the corresponding hexadecimal value, and 13 Chars means that you can use your 8-chars long usual password and then add some random numbers (your date of birth?), something like "iStrong641986"

128bit means 15 ASCII Characters -> password is strong, but it takes ages to find a 15-chars easy-to-remember password!

256bit means 21 ASCII Characters -> Geh.

I'd like to have a WPA2-PSK connection but it seems like that the wpa_supplicant daemon included in our phones isn't capable to have both mode=2 (Ad-Hoc) and wpa_psk set, it crashes with segmentation fault after a couple of minutes, and the SSID isn't up :-(

I guess wep is enough anyway, if there was an injection attack the user would probably notice a significant decrease in speed ?

I didn't read the changelog for your new version (my liquid's in repair for now, so I don't really want to know what I'm missing hehe) but, did you add a connection status area where the user can see who's connected ? That would be enough, again I'm guessing, at least for me...

Edited by ahsid

Guest MrVanes

I can't connect (using Linux). Use latest bin (1.100.39 + 920 OC'd kernel). Rooted and busybox via Malez' recovery. tether_on script seems happy (Done, tethering started) and I can see the AndroidTether SSID but when I select 'WEP' for authentication and 'Hex or Ascii key (64 or 128 bit, 'abcdefghijklm'), WEP index 1 (default) and 'Open System' authentication (knetworkmanager) I get no connection.

logcat | grep wpa_supplicant output:

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): CTRL-EVENT-STATE-CHANGE id=-1 state=2

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): Trying to associate with SSID 'AndroidTether'

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): CTRL-EVENT-STATE-CHANGE id=-1 state=3

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): CTRL-EVENT-STATE-CHANGE id=0 state=4

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): Associated with c2:cb:c6:95:69:50

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): CTRL-EVENT-STATE-CHANGE id=0 state=7

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to c2:cb:c6:95:69:50 completed (auth) [id=0 id_str=]

No log output appears when I try to connect.

btw: I don't seem to be able to change the key in the config panel, WL tethering allways reads back 'abcdefghijklm' when I re-enter the config panel.

Edited by MrVanes

Guest ahsid
I can't connect (using Linux). Use latest bin (1.100.39 + 920 OC'd kernel). Rooted and busybox via Malez' recovery. tether_on script seems happy (Done, tethering started) and I can see the AndroidTether SSID but when I select 'WEP' for authentication and 'Hex or Ascii key (64 or 128 bit, 'abcdefghijklm'), WEP index 1 (default) and 'Open System' authentication (knetworkmanager) I get no connection.

logcat | grep wpa_supplicant output:

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): CTRL-EVENT-STATE-CHANGE id=-1 state=2

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): Trying to associate with SSID 'AndroidTether'

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): CTRL-EVENT-STATE-CHANGE id=-1 state=3

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): CTRL-EVENT-STATE-CHANGE id=0 state=4

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): Associated with c2:cb:c6:95:69:50

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): CTRL-EVENT-STATE-CHANGE id=0 state=7

I/wpa_supplicant( 1875): CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to c2:cb:c6:95:69:50 completed (auth) [id=0 id_str=]

No log output appears when I try to connect.

btw: I don't seem to be able to change the key in the config panel, WL tethering allways reads back 'abcdefghijklm' when I re-enter the config panel.

[troll=on] use Wicd :) [/troll=off]

Guest MrVanes

Even simply disabling network-manager and doing it by hand using bare iwconfig doesn't work:

$ iwconfig wlan0 essid "AndroidTether" channel auto key s:abcdefghijklm

$ iwconfig wlan0

will report the correct key (6162-6364-6566-6768-696A-6B6C-6D) but stays "Not-Associated"

Guest gengaro86
Even simply disabling network-manager and doing it by hand using bare iwconfig doesn't work:

$ iwconfig wlan0 essid "AndroidTether" channel auto key s:abcdefghijklm

$ iwconfig wlan0

will report the correct key (6162-6364-6566-6768-696A-6B6C-6D) but stays "Not-Associated"

Sorry guy if I'm in late!

Please provide me output of the following commands, with Liquid Tether started:

ps | grep dnsmasq

iptables -L

iptables -t nat -L

cat /sys/proc/net/ipv4/ip_forward

As for the Control Panel, please be sure to click on "Submit" after having modified the fields according to your own needs!

Otherwise, just recreate the whole set of files using "Recreate Files" and then re-modify them, it could be a permissions issue!

Edited by gengaro86

Guest MrVanes
As for the Control Panel, please be sure to click on "Submit" after having modified the fields according to your own needs!

Otherwise, just recreate the whole set of files using "Recreate Files" and then re-modify them, it could be a permissions issue!

The control panel issue is fixed: I thought I had to recreate the files after submitting the change... :angry: that obviously rendered my changes void...

I'll provide the logs later tonight, first the kiddies in bed :D

Guest MrVanes

Here's the output:

# ps | grep dnsmasq

root	  11476 1	 740	364   800e4824 6fe0cb14 S /data/data/net.gengaro.liquid/dnsmasq

# iptables -L

iptables: not found

# cat /sys/proc/net/ipv4/ip_forward

/sys/proc/net/ipv4/ip_forward: No such file or directory

# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

# /data/data/net.gengaro.liquid/iptables -L

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

target	 prot opt source			   destination		 

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)

ACCEPT	 0	--  anywhere			 anywhere			state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 

FIX ME! implement getnetbyaddr() bionic/libc/bionic/stubs.c:366

ACCEPT	 0	--  192.168.10.0/24	  anywhere			

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

# /data/data/net.gengaro.liquid/iptables -t nat -L

Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

MASQUERADE  0	--  192.168.10.0/24	  anywhere			

I don't have a native iptables, but assume that yours is good enough for the output you requested?

Seems like I don't have a /sys/proc/net/ipv4 dir, but /proc/sys/net/ipv4. Is that close enough? :angry:

Guest gengaro86
Here's the output:

# ps | grep dnsmasq

root	  11476 1	 740	364   800e4824 6fe0cb14 S /data/data/net.gengaro.liquid/dnsmasq

# iptables -L

iptables: not found

# cat /sys/proc/net/ipv4/ip_forward

/sys/proc/net/ipv4/ip_forward: No such file or directory

# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

# /data/data/net.gengaro.liquid/iptables -L

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)

ACCEPT	 0	--  anywhere			 anywhere			state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 

ACCEPT	 0	--  192.168.10.0/24	  anywhere			

# /data/data/net.gengaro.liquid/iptables -t nat -L

Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

MASQUERADE  0	--  192.168.10.0/24	  anywhere			

I don't have a native iptables, but assume that yours is good enough for the output you requested?

Seems like I don't have a /sys/proc/net/ipv4 dir, but /proc/sys/net/ipv4. Is that close enough? :angry:

Yeah, sorry for the mistypings but yesterday I wasn't really in myself (it's an hard week!) grats to you to have figured out everything by yourself :D

Anyway, dnsmasq (which is a server for both dhcp requests and dns caching) is up and running, iptables is well configured, ip forwarding is good.. it's not a problem of Liquid Tether at all ;)

I know for sure that a lot of nettop and laptop have a network card which doesn't allow you to connect to Ad-Hoc networks, probably that's your case :D

Have you tried using a different computer?

Guest MrVanes
Yeah, sorry for the mistypings but yesterday I wasn't really in myself (it's an hard week!) grats to you to have figured out everything by yourself :angry:

Anyway, dnsmasq (which is a server for both dhcp requests and dns caching) is up and running, iptables is well configured, ip forwarding is good.. it's not a problem of Liquid Tether at all :D

I know for sure that a lot of nettop and laptop have a network card which doesn't allow you to connect to Ad-Hoc networks, probably that's your case ;)

Have you tried using a different computer?

Thx for diagnosing my output. My laptop has the most ordinary and common wireless card one can imagine: intel's iwl3945. Do you know of any limitations of this device?

Guest MrVanes

Thx for the pointer. It's very handy to know I'm connecting to an ad-hoc ap (wasn't clear to me). Plain iwconfig method using 'mode Ad-Hoc' did indeed not work for my default iwl3945 driver :-(

update: Disabling the wlan0 interface ("ifconfig wlan0 down") before setting ad-hoc modus ("iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc") and then bringing it up ("ifconfig wlan0 up") successfully puts the card in ad-hoc mode after which I can perform the authentication and dhcp sequence! This update was sent using a Liquid Tethered connection!! :angry:

Edited by MrVanes

Guest gengaro86

And that's a great new =)

Nice work man, your tip will be put in OP as soon as you will post the exact sequence of commands to be issued, that's what I'm figuring out:

1) disable NetworkManager (via Applet)

2) sudo ifconfig wlan0 down

3) sudo iwconfig mode Ad-Hoc

4) sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

5) sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "NameOfEssid" key s:"String"

6) sudo dhclient wlan0

Amirite?

Guest MrVanes

Yes, that's allmost right, but I disable NM completely using the init.d script to be sure it doesn't interfere: /etc/init.d/network-manger stop.

As far as I understand it, the seperate "mode ad-hoc" command is only necessary on broken iwl3945 cards, so maybe make a more generic sequence without it and mention the exception:

1) sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager stop

2) sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode Ad-Hoc essid "NameOfEssid" key s:"String"

3) sudo dhclient wlan0

ad 2) mode Ad-Hoc may not succeed on your hardware; bring down your wlan0 interface before setting ad-hoc mode:

2a) sudo ifconfig wlan0 down

2b) sudo iwconfig mode Ad-Hoc

2c) sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

2d) sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "NameOfEssid" key s:"String"

On the other hand I now discovered that the KDE NM applet has a setting for ad-hoc in the wireless conf (I told you I didn't know it should be ad-hoc) and now I can use NM+applet as well. Anyway, the sequence is very practical to know, because it shows exactly what the requirement for a succesful connection are!

Guest dentette

I am a huge fan of the tether app but it needs a decent logo/icon,

I am no designer but perhaps something more like the attached file?

post-694030-1279535672_thumb.png

Guest gengaro86
I am a huge fan of the tether app but it needs a decent logo/icon,

I am no designer but perhaps something more like the attached file?

That was exactly my idea :D

Attached the actual logo of the app, but it renders too bad actually, I'll fix it as soon as I can :angry:

post-715598-1279539726_thumb.png

Edited by gengaro86

Guest xaueious

Just noticed that there is a commit to coreaurora for rndis.

I looked up the term and it seems to relate to USB tethering, but can you shed some light on this?

The commit can be applied directly to phhusson's git liquide eclair branch

https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/le/?...972be94d61a157d

Thought someone in here might now what this enables

Edited by xaueious