Desire Froyo Update

Guest thelankygeek

Guest battletank
So what's the verdict...

Should we wait for a release from Paul.

Peter

I guess it's up to you. It's very solid, works just like an original stock phone, but faster and smoother - battery life seems good, and call quality is excellent. Plus, it's rooted. However, like a stock phone, it has some weaknesses too - specifically A2SD/A2SD+ limitation. I'm also not 100% sure, but I'd hazard a guess that the kernel won't support EXT/A2SD, which might make it a bit more complex for Paul to include this functionality via a kitchen.

So, if you liked your stock Sense phone, this is a worthy upgrade, but a small evolution rather than a revolution. If, however, you need A2SD, then don't bother.

I've installed it, and I'm sticking with it for now, but I'll nandroid back at the first sign of trouble.

Guest battletank
If you read the thread at xda you will notice that there is an app installed to set the installation Target for apps.

You can switch between SD,internal or automatic. THIS seems to WORKS FOR EVERY APP. I have towerraiders 1.17 installed on SD and this old version was not made for froyo.

I installed the Rom yesterday night and I am impressed. Runs smooth and very fast.

Indeed, and Titanium Backup allows you to move apps, however widgets or other apps that load on boot will fail if they're on your SD card, because your phone will try to load them before the SD card is mounted. This is a serious flaw, and really limits the Froyo-A2SD model.

Guest pfsykes
so then, here's hoping for froyo with the old school apps2sd at some point.

Yeah I need that as i have sooo many apps installed. Also APP2SD+ would be better as I can them move my cache to the SD card.

Peter

Guest Noonski

I don't think Paul is going to kick you if you give it a ride.

I think the market is recognizing the Desire as an evo because of some of the added fixes (Evo keyboard).

That might be why some of the paid apps are missing. So is can't wait for Paul to get into the source.

There's a fix for the installation to SD card posted for the included script/app.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...871#post7101871

Guest Noonski
Hi Guys !

Does one of you can configure more than one gmail account?

I can't.

Hmm and how about using the HTC Mail app for multiple accounts?

Guest battletank
There's a fix for the installation to SD card posted for the included script/app.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...871#post7101871

Without meaning to 'go on' about this, all this does is ensure all apps are installed to SD. It doesn't fix the problem that apps that are required at boot or have widgets will cause an error if installed to SD. That is a fundamental design flaw with Froyo-A2SD.

As an example, if you install K9 mail and Pure Messenger, both have to be in internal memory if you want to have the Pure Widget display mail from K9. If you install to SD, they'll appear to work, but fail the next time the phone is restarted.

The app included with this build doesn't fix this issue, it simply allows you to install all apps to the SD, regardless of whether they work there or not. A better solution is to use Titanium Backup to selectively move apps to the SD card (including those not programmed to be movable), taking care to ignore any with widgets that you plan on using.

Guest battletank

You always could, I think - although only one exchange account (as before). The widget will only show one chosen account at a time (as before).

Guest battletank
Hi Guys !

Does one of you can configure more than one gmail account?

I can't.

Yes it appears so (I haven't tested it, though, as I have only one gmail account).

Guest Noonski
Without meaning to 'go on' about this, all this does is ensure all apps are installed to SD. It doesn't fix the problem that apps that are required at boot or have widgets will cause an error if installed to SD. That is a fundamental design flaw with Froyo-A2SD.

As an example, if you install K9 mail and Pure Messenger, both have to be in internal memory if you want to have the Pure Widget display mail from K9. If you install to SD, they'll appear to work, but fail the next time the phone is restarted.

The app included with this build doesn't fix this issue, it simply allows you to install all apps to the SD, regardless of whether they work there or not. A better solution is to use Titanium Backup to selectively move apps to the SD card (including those not programmed to be movable), taking care to ignore any with widgets that you plan on using.

Yes very annoying indeed. I now have to plan which apps I need on storage to prevent this from happening every time i mount as hard Disc.

Guest Bol2riz

IMO Using gmail is much smoother. I did before because I can't do except that way.

But I can assure you that as soon as this have been made possible it became very useful.

You're solution will work I know but I preffer the other one after tasted it.

Thanks

Guest miguelsanchez79
So what are the opinions of people using this? Worth it or not?

IMO it's woth to have a go. I have no issues with that rom. The only thing I dislike is FroYo A2SD. It's not as good as proper A2DS.

I'm sure that someone will sort it out soon.

Guest Noonski

Same here. The Foyo A2SD implementation from Google is to much of a hassle, choosing where to install specific applications.

Moving them to SD card trough application settings make the widgets disappear from widget selection menu to sometimes.

I wouldn't see this as a final Rom as for the flashing society.

It was good of them to get one ROM out ASAP, and also the source for it.

They didn't apply a few fixes that other cookers (and paul) will surely apply soon. (A2SD, 2.1 BuildProp/MarketFix, Missing HSDPA Icon, Ugly BootScreen)

I'm also not in need of Sense, but this ROM will make it easier to get the Radio Player back into a Froyo Desire ROM.

(Radio Widget for Sense is very nice looking)

But if the Final Public HTC Release also leaves that little Device Storage Space, I don't see the improvement for Joe Public, that doesn't get to hot with an extra Video option.

But it's a great way to test the video recording. (although I forgot that I have my device under-clocked, so need to retest again).

I know Paul is busy with WildFire and the servers, but I hope he will manage to find some time to get a new Online Kitchen up with this source.

Guest Arthur Hucksake

EDIT: Download link removed, they have created a modified version of this rom with alot of junk removed and cleaned up a bit.

http://www.multiupload.com/S94AQHD23J

Changes

- Added Wifi N

- Removed stocks

- Removed teeter

- Removed plurk

- Removed astro

- Removed footprints

- Removed car panel

- Restored boot animation to HTC boot animation

- Restored default wallpaper to HTC Sense

- Removed 'Learn More' in app list

- Changed build.prop, now all apps are available in the market

Edited by Arthur Hucksake

Guest Noonski
EDIT: Download link removed, they have created a modified version of this rom with alot of junk removed and cleaned up a bit.

http://www.multiupload.com/S94AQHD23J

Changes

- Added Wifi N

- Removed stocks

- Removed teeter

- Removed plurk

- Removed astro

- Removed footprints

- Removed car panel

- Restored boot animation to HTC boot animation

- Restored default wallpaper to HTC Sense

- Removed 'Learn More' in app list

- Changed build.prop, now all apps are available in the market

Checking it out right now.... Flash.... Reboot.... No Whipe Done... So far no weird FC's. I liked the Circle Battery better but dislike how other Menu graphics where changed.

Still going to add the Black HTC Android Peeping Bootscreen :)

s*** i'm getting a hang of this, and here I thought I would be free of cooking, but i'm getting more and more interested in getting in a bit deeper :D

Edited by Noonski

Guest Mr.r9
s*** i'm getting a hang of this, and here I thought I would be free of cooking, but i'm getting more and more interested in getting in a bit deeper :D

Why man? I've had a great time changing the battery, silent & vibration icons. I also managed to get Arabic to work. I also removed a lot of apps I don't use.

All in all it took me around 30 minutes to do all of that. Just open the zip and delete/change anything you don't like knowing it doesn't affect the core system. It's fun :)

Guest Time Sheep

Link to the topic of a modified version http://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-develope...d.php?p=7109694

Anyway, I love this ROM especially thinking of the few number of problems with it, and it will be better.

To set up a gmail account in the HTC mail application just use e-mail and password for Gmail account, POP3 server is pop.gmail.com and SMTP server is smtp.gmail.com (With SSL)

A lot of the apps that followed made me go Wut tha' ****? Didn't know what most of them did :) And I already had a replacement for Astro.