UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest AndyCr15

This thing is driving me crazy. It may well be I have a dodgy MicroSD card... but, I'm trying anyway. This is what I do, from the beginning -

Use Odin to flash JG5 with repartition ticked. I don't add CSC file though, as it seems to hang at 'DONT TURN OFF THE DEVICE' if I try that.

It reboots fine.

I then use Odin to flash 'Kernel_GalaxyS_mimo_ext4_v4.tar' in the PDA compartment, but no repartition.

In fact, right now I can't even do this last part, Odin says it can't open the seriel(COM) port. :angry:

Can I skip this and move to the update.zip that Mimo posted?

Guest DistortedLoop
Even with this fix, I notice lag creep back in after some time. It maybe better than what it was but definitely still laggy. My wife notices it too and we compared moving around on an old iphone 3gs and the 3gs is way more snappy than the galaxy even with this "fix".

Such a shame.

I think the lagginess you're experiencing might be poor memory management. HAve you tried running MinFreeManager from the market. I've installed it and set to aggressive.

Also, what version are you on? JG1, MCR, or JG5?

Guest Kilack
I think the lagginess you're experiencing might be poor memory management. HAve you tried running MinFreeManager from the market. I've installed it and set to aggressive.

jg5 + ext4, yeah coud install a memory manager but the point is one shouldn't have to if the phone worked properly.

Seems the quadrant benchmarks don't really tell the whole story as I still get sores of 1700 but I can easily produce some lag etc.

I'm going to wait until froyo comes out, if that doesn't fix it then im selling it, shouldn't have to put up with lag and hacks of killing things in memory to make a phone these days run smoothly..

Guest DistortedLoop
jg5 + ext4, yeah coud install a memory manager but the point is one shouldn't have to if the phone worked properly.

Seems the quadrant benchmarks don't really tell the whole story as I still get sores of 1700 but I can easily produce some lag etc.

I'm going to wait until froyo comes out, if that doesn't fix it then im selling it, shouldn't have to put up with lag and hacks of killing things in memory to make a phone these days run smoothly..

I'm assuming this isn't your first android phone, but I may be wrong, which is why I'm surprised at your reaction.

I've had three android phones (all of them 2.1 OS) and five iPhones (from the original model and the original OS 1.x to the latest iPhone 4 and iOS4). All of them, that's ALL OF THEM slow down the longer they've been booted and the more apps have been ran. My MacBook Pro and Mac Pro desktop also slowdown over time, eventually requiring closing apps or even a reboot - that's what computers (and pocket computers, aka smartphones) do, they slow down as memory gets filled up or trashed by bad apps or bad OS decisions.

I posted in my message that you were replying to that my Nexus One even has lag occasionally, and that the SGS with JG5 and ext 4 occasional lag I still noticed isn't any worse than what the N1 gets from time to time. It's true, for me.

I'm not looking to get into a pissing contest with you over this, but I think that there's clearly a particular issue with memory management or disk i/o on the SGS that can be addressed with mimocan's fix, and that that fix vastly improves the device, whether you had noticed lag before or not.

I also think that lag is endemic to all android phones, or at least a great number of them, as is clearly evidenced by the VAST number of Task Killer and Memory Freeing and Autostart killing applications in the market. There wouldn't be so many of them on the market if there weren't demand for them, and there wouldn't be any demand for them if android phones didn't suffer from lag and other issues due to some kind of poor memory management or other issue that leads to lag and crashing apps.

The boys over at Android Central seem to agree or they wouldn't have bothered with this interesting article on how to fine tune your memory management on Android a couple of weeks ago.

As stated above, all my smartphones the past several years have suffered from slowdown as time-since-boot increased. On the iPhones you either have to reboot every few days, or use a jailbreak app to free memory when the phone starts slowing down. On my Nexus One and EVO I had to install task killers and autostart preventers to keep the phones from choking on apps and lack of memory. The SGS is the same.

Hopefully FroYo, if we ever actually get it for the SGS will have better memory management, but until then, I have no problem installing a free app or two (like autostarts and minfreemgr) if they'll make any of my phones run smoother. They just kind of go with the territory in Android. I don't like it that I have to do it, but I'd rather do it than be miserable with my phone...

Guest Kilack
I'm assuming this isn't your first android phone, but I may be wrong, which is why I'm surprised at your reaction.

I've had three android phones (all of them 2.1 OS) and five iPhones (from the original model and the original OS 1.x to the latest iPhone 4 and iOS4). All of them, that's ALL OF THEM slow down the longer they've been booted and the more apps have been ran. My MacBook Pro and Mac Pro desktop also slowdown over time, eventually requiring closing apps or even a reboot - that's what computers (and pocket computers, aka smartphones) do, they slow down as memory gets filled up or trashed by bad apps or bad OS decisions.

I posted in my message that you were replying to that my Nexus One even has lag occasionally, and that the SGS with JG5 and ext 4 occasional lag I still noticed isn't any worse than what the N1 gets from time to time. It's true, for me.

I'm not looking to get into a pissing contest with you over this, but I think that there's clearly a particular issue with memory management or disk i/o on the SGS that can be addressed with mimocan's fix, and that that fix vastly improves the device, whether you had noticed lag before or not.

I also think that lag is endemic to all android phones, or at least a great number of them, as is clearly evidenced by the VAST number of Task Killer and Memory Freeing and Autostart killing applications in the market. There wouldn't be so many of them on the market if there weren't demand for them, and there wouldn't be any demand for them if android phones didn't suffer from lag and other issues due to some kind of poor memory management or other issue that leads to lag and crashing apps.

The boys over at Android Central seem to agree or they wouldn't have bothered with this interesting article on how to fine tune your memory management on Android a couple of weeks ago.

As stated above, all my smartphones the past several years have suffered from slowdown as time-since-boot increased. On the iPhones you either have to reboot every few days, or use a jailbreak app to free memory when the phone starts slowing down. On my Nexus One and EVO I had to install task killers and autostart preventers to keep the phones from choking on apps and lack of memory. The SGS is the same.

Hopefully FroYo, if we ever actually get it for the SGS will have better memory management, but until then, I have no problem installing a free app or two (like autostarts and minfreemgr) if they'll make any of my phones run smoother. They just kind of go with the territory in Android. I don't like it that I have to do it, but I'd rather do it than be miserable with my phone...

No pissing contest here at all, that would imply I would be saying something I have is better than what you have.. its the complete opposite, no idea where you got that idea from...

I have in fact owned other android phones, a nexus one and a milestone but none of them suffered lag like this and you will notice in many reviews that others have stated they haven't seen this on other android phones at least the big black screens.

But yes even jg5 by itself gets rid of the black screens where you think the phone might have died, autokiller which i have installed now seems to be doing a nice job also and maybe I am being picky now , who knows but I guess when I think its 2010 and you spend this much on a phone you wouldn't expect this situation. Anyway as I said, autokiller does seem to make a difference. Now just have to sort out the blurry photos now :angry:.

Guest nop56773

I've run the SD card lag fix but it also slowed down after a while. I've now followed a suggestion from another user and started to use the Automatic Task killer (i know what cyanogen says about task killers...). It seems much better now. I've only tested for 2 days now, but it hasn't slowed down yet and I'm almost sure it would already have if I was using the lag fixes.

Guest AndyCr15

Quick question on partitioning. I assume I can put the MicroSD into my Nexus One, boot into RA recovery and format it in there with a ext3 partition?

Guest DistortedLoop
No pissing contest here at all, that would imply I would be saying something I have is better than what you have.. its the complete opposite, no idea where you got that idea from...

I have in fact owned other android phones, a nexus one and a milestone but none of them suffered lag like this and you will notice in many reviews that others have stated they haven't seen this on other android phones at least the big black screens.

But yes even jg5 by itself gets rid of the black screens where you think the phone might have died, autokiller which i have installed now seems to be doing a nice job also and maybe I am being picky now , who knows but I guess when I think its 2010 and you spend this much on a phone you wouldn't expect this situation. Anyway as I said, autokiller does seem to make a difference. Now just have to sort out the blurry photos now :angry:.

I agree, we pay so much for these phones and the service, it's disappointing when they don't do as expected.

Blurry photos? On, no, I hadn't noticed (yet). That's for another thread, though.

Guest rtimi28

Sorry I'm new to this just want to know what rooting does to a phone. I'm a former custom rom user from windows phone and is it the same as rotting or is rooting just a way to unlock it from att.

Guest ^nighthawk^

Rooting just gives you root access/full control

In windows you are able to do this anyway as your effectively a full admin.

In Linux you need to give yourself access to to the root which requires superuser (read: admin) permissions.

Rooting it gives you this basically.

It lets you customise and install things you possibly shouldn't or couldn't..........its a bit like jailbreaking an iphone.

Guest mcmugchu

Dear all,

I've followed every step of this guide and double checked I've moved the data files and created the symbolic link correctly.

However after rebooted, every process keep force closing...

Anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks.

Guest X-pro

I've tried the app minfreemanager you are talking about but it seems not to be able to change the values. Does my phone need to be rooted to use this app ??

Edited by X-pro

Guest DistortedLoop
I've tried the app minfreemanager you are talking about but it seems not to be able to change the values. Does my phone need to be rooted to use this app ??

Yes, it does. If you look in the Market description of the app, the very first line is all caps and says *REQUIRES ROOT ACCESS* :angry:

Gonna have to root if you want to use that one. I imagine most of the ones that do this sort of thing require root, since they're messing with normall protected areas of the phone.

Guest aciduzzo
Dear all,

I've followed every step of this guide and double checked I've moved the data files and created the symbolic link correctly.

However after rebooted, every process keep force closing...

Anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks.

you will almost certainly need to do a factory reset and try again.

Guest megakid

Just performed this to my phone - now gets 1715 on the benchmark test. Sweet.

Seems a lot smoother but that might be physiological - as I had already applied Paul's NAND symlink fix with JG1, it wasn't running too bad anyway. JG5 seems more stable than JG1 and with this hack - smoother.

I have a 32Gb Sandisk Ultra (Class 4 I believe) card.

Guest X-pro
Yes, it does. If you look in the Market description of the app, the very first line is all caps and says *REQUIRES ROOT ACCESS* :D

Gonna have to root if you want to use that one. I imagine most of the ones that do this sort of thing require root, since they're messing with normall protected areas of the phone.

ey... was that what they meant :angry: Must have been a bit sleepy/careless not to notice that. Thanks for reply

Guest aciduzzo

does everyone else lose their ringtones when doing this? is there a reason why ringtones would disappear...sth to do with mv /system/media perhaps?

is the only solution to reflash?

Guest Kris_cs1

Just completed the process and created an ext4 partition.

Certainly seems a lot faster generally - got 1670 on Quadrant (after a LONG wait).

However currently seems to be eating the battery.. nearly 40% in 2 hours with little to no use. Will see how it goes..

Edited by Kris_cs1

Guest DistortedLoop
does everyone else lose their ringtones when doing this? is there a reason why ringtones would disappear...sth to do with mv /system/media perhaps?

is the only solution to reflash?

The ringtones are part of /system/media/audio/ringtones, and would be moved with the Market fix instructions.

I've got that symlink/move in place on my phone and didn't lose my ringtones. Just checked, they're there on the disk, and I can select them and they work from Settings.

You've checked with Root Explorer or the like that the files are actually still on your phone?

Guest aciduzzo
The ringtones are part of /system/media/audio/ringtones, and would be moved with the Market fix instructions.

I've got that symlink/move in place on my phone and didn't lose my ringtones. Just checked, they're there on the disk, and I can select them and they work from Settings.

You've checked with Root Explorer or the like that the files are actually still on your phone?

i've just tried this:

# ls -l /disk/media/audio

ls -l /disk/media/audio

/disk/media/audio: Too many symbolic links encountered

# ls -l /disk/media

ls -l /disk/media

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2010-07-19 22:42 media -> /disk/media

something definitely seems screwed!

Guest DistortedLoop
i've just tried this:

# ls -l /disk/media/audio

ls -l /disk/media/audio

/disk/media/audio: Too many symbolic links encountered

# ls -l /disk/media

ls -l /disk/media

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2010-07-19 22:42 media -> /disk/media

something definitely seems screwed!

Yes, something's gone wrong for you. The ls -l /disk/media/audio command on my phone's terminal simply produces a listing of the sub-directories.

What does a a simple ls /system/media produce?

Guest aciduzzo
Yes, something's gone wrong for you. The ls -l /disk/media/audio command on my phone's terminal simply produces a listing of the sub-directories.

What does a a simple ls /system/media produce?

# ls -l /system/media

ls -l /system/media

lrwsrwsrwt root root 2010-07-19 21:42 media -> /disk/media

Guest aciduzzo
# ls -l /system/media

ls -l /system/media

lrwsrwsrwt root root 2010-07-19 21:42 media -> /disk/media

ok i reflashed jg5 and started over. everything seems to now be ok. thanks for your help.

Guest AndyCr15

Just for the record... I have a new 16gig Class 2 card, I rooted it using my Nexus One in RA recovery, and applied this fix again. It all seems to be working, although I guess it could drop out again like it did before.

Very smooth and fast right now :angry: