UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest gravityz3r0
Tried with a Class 2 but the app can't complete the test for some reason :angry:

But compare this:

Paul's Fix:

Total CPU score;774.7303

MWIPS DP;58.962265;MWIPS(DP)

MWIPS SP;58.719913;MWIPS(SP)

MFLOPS DP;7.6457057;MFLOPS(DP)

MFLOPS SP;8.701048;MFLOPS(SP)

VAX MIPS DP;41.424477;VAX MIPS(DP)

VAX MIPS SP;39.806553;VAX MIPS(SP)

Memory

Total memory score;617.21814

Copy memory;560.8525;Mb/sec

Filesystem

Total file system score;240.61263

Creating 1000 empty files;4.332;sec

Deleting 1000 empty files;3.322;sec

Write 1M into file;7.8864355;M/sec

Read 1M from file;476.1905;sM/sec;
Mimocan's Fix and JIT:
Total CPU score;1138.4799

MWIPS DP;70.87171;MWIPS(DP)

MWIPS SP;78.12499;MWIPS(SP)

MFLOPS DP;9.773376;MFLOPS(DP)

MFLOPS SP;12.093854;MFLOPS(SP)

VAX MIPS DP;72.30384;VAX MIPS(DP)

VAX MIPS SP;73.160515;VAX MIPS(SP)

Memory

Total memory score;605.6687

Copy memory;550.3577;Mb/sec

Filesystem

Total file system score;241.3051

Creating 1000 empty files;0.428;sec

Deleting 1000 empty files;0.3;sec

Write 1M into file;85.470085;M/sec

Read 1M from file;400.0;sM/sec;

Edit: Can someone run the app Benchmark and post his results with only Mimo's Fix? cba to reflash and that without JIT

I'm also interested in how much Mimo standalone fix speed things up without JIT. By the way, mimo hasnt tell us yet what sd card did he personally use. If nobody post any benchmark of class 2 or 4 by tomorrow i guess i'll use my class 2 and test it. Can't do it now since i'm away from home and do not have the necessary stuff installed like i did on my home pc.

Guest aeo087
with class6 sd card

look the picture :angry:

How could this be!!? damn I'm stuck at the office and can't try it out!! Where is this huge performance gain coming from? can someone please explain? how could the external SD-card be this much faster?

Guest Arnon

I repartitioned my card and applied v2 - but it says that the /disk is read-only when I try to copy things over

what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance

Arnon

Guest mimocan

Hold on...

I am compiling a new kernel and test it on a freshly installed firmware. Will post it here after it's bullet proof :angry:

btw: I am using a SanDisk Mob. Ultra microSDHC 16 GB, I am not sure which class it is, stated nowhere.

Guest Arnon
Hold on...

I am compiling a new kernel and test it on a freshly installed firmware. Will post it here after it's bullet proof :angry:

btw: I am using a SanDisk Mob. Ultra microSDHC 16 GB, I am not sure which class it is, stated nowhere.

The Ultra is officially class 4 - but it performs much better see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=20

Guest kingho
Hello and thanks for your great work ! :angry:

I successfully applied the kernel but now the market app canot download anymore apps on it. I used the V2 file :D

do we need to do something particular ?

Alex

I am having a similar problem with v2 file. Particularly, I have problem installing Asphalt5 from Samsung Apps. Downloading is OK, but the installation failed.

King

Edited by kingho

Guest mobiholic

I'm looking forward to seeing this or a similar fix getting applied directly by the peeps at Samsung! *Looks at the Samsung reps* :angry:

Edited by mobiholic

Guest bratfink

Please could you add to instructions to add the PIT file aswell as the PDA file otherwise it will not flash correctly through ODIN. Thanks

You need to use Adb or can you just use a terminal on phone to put in the commands?

su

cp -rp /data/data /disk/

mv /data/data /data/data.bak

ln -s /disk/data /data/data

reboot

Guest Archer13
Please could you add to instructions to add the PIT file aswell as the PDA file otherwise it will not flash correctly through ODIN. Thanks

I have installed it without PIT, just with PDA checked. I had Paul's r2/JG3 before flashing. No problems here, market is working also.

Thanks mimocan! BTW, probably it will be usefull to explain fat32+ext3 partitions in the first post, both MUST be primary. Some partitioning programs can make it as "Primary+Logical" by default, so it will not work with you kernel.

Guest Kilack
I have installed it without PIT, just with PDA checked. I had Paul's r2/JG3 before flashing. No problems here, market is working also.

Thanks mimocan! BTW, probably it will be usefull to explain fat32+ext3 partitions in the first post, both MUST be primary. Some partitioning programs can make it as "Primary+Logical" by default, so it will not work with you kernel.

and? speed is noticeably better? any lags launching apps etc? everything feel snappier? what card are you using?

Guest DistortedLoop
Edit: Can someone run the app Benchmark and post his results with only Mimo's Fix? cba to reflash and that without JIT

I'm also interested in how much Mimo standalone fix speed things up without JIT. By the way, mimo hasnt tell us yet what sd card did he personally use. If nobody post any benchmark of class 2 or 4 by tomorrow i guess i'll use my class 2 and test it. Can't do it now since i'm away from home and do not have the necessary stuff installed like i did on my home pc.

Are you both using JIT? Sera's JIT on the other thread? I am testing that right now, without any of these fixes, but too many of may apps crashing so I am going to remove it until it's more stable.

Anyways, I think JIT would the real reason for most of the speedup on benchmarking apps if you're using it, don't you?

I've got a Class 6 sdcard. After I flash Paul's MCR over my phone to remove JIT, I'll try Mimo's kernel and then run the test you are and post results later tonight.

Guest bratfink

I cannot run the commands on the first post this is what i get

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\xxxx>cd\android\tools

C:\android\tools>adb shell

$ su

su

# cp -rp /data/data /disk/

cp -rp /data/data /disk/

cp: not found

any ideas?

Guest Archer13
speed is noticeably better? any lags launching apps etc? everything feel snappier? what card are you using?

Lags gone. Market works (not checked for paid apps, no support in my country). Tried to install Asphalt - done, no problems. Card is SanDisk 4Gb class 2, old one. I will upgrade it to 8-16gb class 4-6 in the future.

Quadrant benchmark score is 1382.

Guest mimocan
Lags gone. Market works (not checked for paid apps, no support in my country). Tried to install Asphalt - done, no problems. Card is SanDisk 4Gb class 2, old one. I will upgrade it to 8-16gb class 4-6 in the future.

Quadrant benchmark score is 1382.

thanks for trying.

I just tested with the freshly installed firmware and applied my new kernel v3, no other modifications.

Quadrant benchmark score is 1393.

Edited by mimocan

Guest Kilack

Just flashed this (v3) over jg1 and r2...

Now ive lost wireless, just sits there are on obtaining address...

Never had that issue before so assume it has to be related to this...

update:

reflashed jg1 and r2 etc.. wireless is working again..

did anyone eles use v3 and have wireless issues?

Edited by Kilack

Anyone that did use Terminal from Phone itself to enter commands? Insted off adb?

Ask as good to know if that would work befor trying..:angry:

Guest HansBaer2000

after partitioning the external sd card, it doesn't show up as removable disc anymore. i can just access the internal sd card in windows explorer

Guest Tyxerakias
I cannot run the commands on the first post this is what i get

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\xxxx>cd\android\tools

C:\android\tools>adb shell

$ su

su

# cp -rp /data/data /disk/

cp -rp /data/data /disk/

cp: not found

any ideas?

You don't have busybox. It's listed as a requirement.

Guest tiburce

hello

i have a problem with adb shell

Microsoft Windows [version 6.1.7600]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Tous droits réservés.

C:\Users\tiburce>cd /d d:\sdk\tools

d:\sdk\tools>adb shell

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

$ su -

su -

# busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

cp: can't create directory '/disk/data': Read-only file system

#

i d'ont understant who is the problem "cp: can't create directory '/disk/data': Read-only file system"

Guest Tyxerakias
Anyone that did use Terminal from Phone itself to enter commands? Insted off adb?

Ask as good to know if that would work befor trying..:angry:

It shouldn't make any difference at all.

Guest taechelsea

I've already done this fix. So this is my report and the information about my Galaxy S and laptop.

Laptop:

-Laptop with Windows XP SP3

-ODIN lastest version from samsung-firmware

-PIT file from samsung-firmware (I think there's no need to use this file, but I used it when my last attempt was successful)

-Kernel_GalaxyS_mimo_v2.tar from mimocan

Samsung Galaxy S:

-shipped Firmware I9000XXJF3 with about 70 apps + 30 games installed

-SanDisk microSDHC 16 gb class 2 (Price 32 Euro) from amazon.de, format with Paragon Harddisk Manager in 2 Partition, first partition in FAT32 with 13.8 Gb and the second partition with 1 Gb in ext3

-I've applied 'patch.sh' file from zenkinz's post(#134) from Paul's Lag Fix Forum (this patch just moves the core folders to /dbdata on NAND) and removed it with 'restore.sh', so my phone should be ready now.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I follow the instructions from mimocan. After having some problems with connecting my Galaxy to my laptop (it was my fault) and stucking 2-3 times with ODIN (I thought at first that my Galaxy S was bricked after seeing a black screen with the picture of mobile phone and PC and my Galaxy S couldn't boot) I finished flashing this fix in the end. This is the result.

Positive :

-the phone is now really fast!!! As fast as or maybe one step faster than Paul's fix without worrying about the free space. I love it.

-Market works fine for me. I've installed 2-3 apps and updated around 8 apps until now and there's no problem downloading and installing the apps.

-Benchmark test with quadrant standard app. (of course no JIT on my phone) :angry: 1390 pts on Eclair, not bad isn't it?

snap20100714000205.png

Negative :

-I normally transfer large files by plugging in the phone to my pc and using 'Mass Storage' USB Setting. After doing this fix, I can't see the external SD-Card (just see only internal SD-Card). Is this problem one of the side effects of this fix? But it's OK for me now, because I can get the microSD out of the phone and use the cardreader to do this job. (But still a little bit inconvenience)

edited: I can see the drive of my external SD-Card, but it's somehow inaccessible with status 'not Encryptable' on Windows 7. any help? :D

edited 2 : After formatting my sd card using settings > sd card and phone storage > unmount sd card and then format sd card (Thanks Archer13 post#108 for the advice) the problem with mounting FAT32 to windows is gone!! Now I can use the phone as mass storage without any problem. Thanks.

Thank you very much for this fix, mimocan. Maybe I will stuck with your fix til official FroYo-update comes out.

Edited by taechelsea

Guest Werner99

thanks for the awesome work :angry: i get in Quadrant now 1409 using a Sandisk 8GB Ultra, i also use 1GB

one question stays, do you think it would be possible to change the internal 2GB partition to ext3 and test it out then?

thanks for trying.

I just tested with the freshly installed firmware and applied my new kernel v3, no other modifications.

Quadrant benchmark score is 1393.

Guest Werner99

try v3, i use v3 and can normaly access the sd card over mass storage

Negative :

-I normally transfer large files by plugging in the phone to my pc and using 'Mass Storage' USB Setting. After doing this fix, I can't see the external SD-Card (just see only internal SD-Card). Is this problem one of the side effects of this fix? But it's OK for me now, because I can get the microSD out of the phone and use the cardreader to do this job. (But still a little bit inconvenience)

edited: I can see the drive of my external SD-Card, but it's somehow inaccessible with status 'not Encryptable' on Windows 7. any help? :angry:

Thank you very much for this fix, mimocan. Maybe I will stuck with your fix til official FroYo-update comes out.