UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest kanzlr

I already know what the problem was.

The SD Card was initially partitioned on the mac and setted up for EFI firmwares. you have to tell him that he has to create an MBR instead..

I formatted the card with the HP format tool, now I can partition it again and it works :angry:

thanks!

PS: is it save to do this from Android Terminal? I still can not make my PC see the Galaxy on ADB (it is visible in device manager as samsung ADB device, flashing with odin works, my G1 is visible, etc. just the damn Galaxy is "offline" for adb...)

Guest gravityz3r0
I already know what the problem was.

The SD Card was initially partitioned on the mac and setted up for EFI firmwares. you have to tell him that he has to create an MBR instead..

I formatted the card with the HP format tool, now I can partition it again and it works :angry:

thanks!

PS: is it save to do this from Android Terminal? I still can not make my PC see the Galaxy on ADB (it is visible in device manager as samsung ADB device, flashing with odin works, my G1 is visible, etc. just the damn Galaxy is "offline" for adb...)

Ye, i did it on my terminal :D

"The SD Card was initially partitioned on the mac and setted up for EFI firmwares. "

but how do u explain my case? I have never use mac before in my entire life.

Edited by gravityz3r0

Guest Werner99

awesome :angry: will it be in a short time or some days later?!

It's even faster when using ext4.

check the screenshot. I will publish the kernel with ext4 support anytime soon.

Guest kanzlr
Ye, i did it on my terminal :angry:

"The SD Card was initially partitioned on the mac and setted up for EFI firmwares. "

but how do u explain my case? I have never use mac before in my entire life.

most likely just a corrupted MBR or not both where primary partitions?

whatever...looking forward to ext4 and will wait till then.

Guest DistortedLoop
It's even faster when using ext4.

check the screenshot. I will publish the kernel with ext4 support anytime soon.

I suspected ext4 would be faster, that's why I asked about it earlier in the thread.

I still haven't had a chance to try this, but I take it, based on your post, that my current ext4 partition won't work with this? :angry:

I'm going to wait for ext4 support, then, because it's too much hassle to find a PC around here to use Odin. (cursing vmware & samsung for not talking nicely to each other on my Mac).

Guest bratfink

Also wondering if i was to flash a new firmware ie the XWJG5 version, as this wipes the system partition will my apps + data be removed, or will they be retained on the external partion like A2SD did on my HTC hero?

Guest vitalijb
still thinking about it but hard to create the partition with the internal drives.

hi mimocan,

I used your suggestion and created ext3 partition using dosbox commands only (card was inside phone), So I think it is quite easy to create (or reformat) existing internal phone partition "/data" using the same commands.

So using fdisk on the phone console (or via ADB shell) we can change patition type to 0x83 (or create additional partition with this type), then using utility http://www.theficks.name/bin/lib/droid/mke2fs format it to ext3, however it will require you to produce new modified kernel? to mount this new partition.

In that way it will be possible to have swappable SD card without internal info of the programs.

Guest tanzhjoash

can someone help me please...

i have some problems partitioning my 8gb microsd card..

tried using paragon at first, but they told me that format is not allowed on the flash drive.. they only allowed me to delete partition but not format or create or resize partition. I tried formatting the microsd thru my galaxy s, then tried to partition with paragon, but same problem occured..

then i went to try gparted. had to change to my other older computer because this 1 doesn't have a cd drive. (is it possible to use gparted without a cd drive?) While using gparted on my other com, the Gparted interface didnt seem to detect my card reader, as it only displayed the hard disk of my computer.. I clicked on the mount usb button at the top, but still it didn't detect it. Am i missing any steps? sorry i'm very new to all these..

Is there any other way to partition?? possible to partition direct on the phone? (i'm rooted and have busybox already.) anyone know how to solve the problem i have with paragon??

Guest DistortedLoop
then i went to try gparted. had to change to my other older computer because this 1 doesn't have a cd drive. (is it possible to use gparted without a cd drive?)

You should be able to find a USB bootstick out there with gparted.

I use gparted in a vmware box on my Mac...just point vmware to the gparted livecd image as I recall. Worked fine on my microsd when I increased the size of my ext4 partition from 512mb to 1gb in anticipation of applying this kernel and patches.

Guest bratfink

Still waiting for a reply.. if i flash new firmware will this get rid of all my apps or will they reside untouched on the SD card?

Guest mimocan
Still waiting for a reply.. if i flash new firmware will this get rid of all my apps or will they reside untouched on the SD card?

this has nothing to do with your apps, this is moving the app database files to the external card. So not the app itself but the sql database files.

so yes if you flash the firmware you will lose all your apps, settings and this fix as well, you have to start from scratch.

Guest Rithina
the first post is updated with a link to ext4 kernel.

have fun,

Thank yo very much /salute. Installing the v4 after flashing the JG5. Will post update.

Guest Rithina
Thank yo very much /salute. Installing the v4 after flashing the JG5. Will post update.

After flashing the v4, I tried to root using the update.zip and i tried to install my root explorer.. when i do a search in the app directory (data/app), it shows 31.08MB used and 1.84GB free... isn't this suppose to show the size of my SDCARD (I created 700MB to store apps).

Please advise.

Guest mimocan
After flashing the v4, I tried to root using the update.zip and i tried to install my root explorer.. when i do a search in the app directory (data/app), it shows 31.08MB used and 1.84GB free... isn't this suppose to show the size of my SDCARD (I created 700MB to store apps).

Please advise.

your sdcard will be mounted on /disk.

Guest Rithina
your sdcard will be mounted on /disk.

Thanks, was reading the whole thread from page 1 to 7 and I noticed the new partition will mount on /disk.

Does it means I got to do a cp /data/ to /disk each time i installed the apps? It won't automatically store on /disk?

Guest Werner99

great work :angry: JG5 and that V4 Kernel using ext4 on my Sandisk 8GB Ultra let the Samsung fly.

i get a 1633 Score now with Quadrant.

Regards,

Werner

Guest mimocan
Thanks, was reading the whole thread from page 1 to 7 and I noticed the new partition will mount on /disk.

Does it means I got to do a cp /data/ to /disk each time i installed the apps? It won't automatically store on /disk?

just follow the steps.

Actually what we are doing here is first copying the /data/data directory to /disk

and then making a symbolic link from /disk/data to /data/data so the system finds all the files at the correct place.

no once you have successfully completed all the steps then you don't need to do anything.

Guest mimocan
great work :angry: JG5 and that V4 Kernel using ext4 on my Sandisk 8GB Ultra let the Samsung fly.

i get a 1633 Score now with Quadrant.

Regards,

Werner

nice!

Guest Arnon
I repartitioned my card and applied v2 - but it says that the /disk is read-only when I try to copy things over

what am I doing wrong ?

The problem was I did this using the SGS as the "card reader" repeated the process with a read card reader (and Gparted) with the ext4 version

coolness :angry: (1635 on quadrant with stock rom (JF3) + fix)

Thanks this is great

Arnon

Guest gravityz3r0

Since i have to conver to ext4, does that mean that i have to move back everything to /data/data before formatting the sd card as ext 4?

will this command work? just guessing :S

rm -r /data/data

mv /data/data.bak /data/data

Guest Xoneso

a quick question mimocan.

How about mounting on the ext3/ext4 partition instead?

Can't see what problem it should make, but this way we wouldn't need to apply the fix either though adb or terminal.

so instead of this:

mount rfs /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data nosuid nodev check=no

it would be:

mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /data noatime nodiratime

Guest mimocan
a quick question mimocan.

How about mounting on the ext3/ext4 partition instead?

Can't see what problem it should make, but this way we wouldn't need to apply the fix either though adb or terminal.

so instead of this:

mount rfs /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data nosuid nodev check=no

it would be:

mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /data noatime nodiratime

good question.

I thought about it though. But this method you suggested implies you need to reflash your phone, and then right after the flash process without booting the phone apply the kernel fix.

I can incorporate the kernel into firmware so that you don't need to do this step but then it will be firmware dependent.