UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest lexmeister2
@lexmeister2 you need root access and busybox installed.

My phone's rooted, and I have busybox installed. Is there something I need to do on my PC?

Guest Bizzie
My phone's rooted, and I have busybox installed. Is there something I need to do on my PC?

Did you use the "su" command to get Super User access ?

Guest lexmeister2
Did you use the "su" command to get Super User access ?

Yep, I get this far and then get the error - The problem seems to be with the next line:

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell

$ su -

su -

busybox cp -rp/Permission denied

$

Guest Bizzie

If you have installed busybox on your phone you can use only "cp -rp" instead of "busybox cp -rp". Maybe that will solve it.

Edited by Bizzie

Guest lexmeister2
If you have installed busybox on your phone you can use only "cp -rp" instead of "busybox cp -rp". Maybe that will solve it.

Thanks, unfortunately still get the same "permission denied" error.

Guest tanzhjoash

i think some others had this issue earlier..

when trying to apply the fix, i type in adb shell,

# busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

cp: cannot create directory '/disk/data' : Read-only file system

anyone knows what's the problem?

i am very sure have superuser access because of the ##

and i have busybox because when i enter busybox, the whole list of commands appear.

i also heeded the advice given by mimocan to partition fat32 as first partition and ext4 as second, but still same problem occured..

btw i would like to ask, when flashing v4 of the .tar file, do i flash it with microSD card inside the phone during flashing? i removed sd card before flashing. so does it mean i boot up after flashing>insert SD card>then enter adb commands?

Guest lexmeister2

Finally got this to work, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. Not entirely sure how to check where all the data is sitting, but did the benchmark test and getting the same score as before. Can I just run through the whole process again, or do I need to undo it before I can do it again?

Guest bratfink

Will titanium backup still backup all the save files etc for my apps or will i loose these files? Asking because i intend to flash the new firmware and would very much like to just restore using titanium and have everything working just like before :angry:?

Guest Daniel.z
With the same process as before, my Galaxy S is now in 2.attempt with latest firmware I9000XWJG5 + ext4 fix even faster than before. (first attempt was with stock firmware and v2 kernel)

These are quadrant benchmark scores in comparison between I9000XWJG5(pure) on the left side and I9000XWJG5(+ext4 fix) on the right.

I use Sandisk microSD 16 GB Class 2, formatted in 13.8GB(FAT32) and 1 GB(ext4) partition using Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2010

quadrantpage.jpg

1723 Point!!!! Crazy :angry:

I don't have any issue until now(after approx. 12 hours of usage). Thanks again for your hard work, Mimocan.

I have a 8GB Kingston Class 4 MicroSD with 1.3Gb Ext4 partition.

JG5 Firmware installed.

1494 Point..

How you did 1723 points?!?

How can i see if are files installed in the new ext4 partition?

Guest Kilack
Hi, did you find a solution for this? I have the same problems qith Quadrant staying in I/O phase 3 test. Installed v4 with ext4 and everything seemed to go as it should. I have no other problems at all and when running Softweg Benchmark my "Total file system score" usually goes to about 280, which is 60-70 higher than before the fix.

Is there a good way of checking that everything is installed and patched correctly?

Several people are striking this problem it seems. What kind of card were you using ?

Guest Kilack
I have a 8GB Kingston Class 4 MicroSD with 1.3Gb Ext4 partition.

JG5 Firmware installed.

1494 Point..

How you did 1723 points?!?

How can i see if are files installed in the new ext4 partition?

Sandisk cards generally perform far better than the class they are rated for..

Just check with a file manager like root explorer to see if they are there.

but if you are getting scores over 900 you will definitely be using the ext4.. because normally these phones get scores of about 850...

Guest lexmeister2
Sandisk cards generally perform far better than the class they are rated for..

Just check with a file manager like root explorer to see if they are there.

but if you are getting scores over 900 you will definitely be using the ext4.. because normally these phones get scores of about 850...

I'm still getting around that mark, so mine's definitely not worked then? What can I do now, start the whole process again?

Guest Fredrich
Several people are striking this problem it seems. What kind of card were you using ?

I am using an old sandisk 2GB with two equal sized partitions, partition 1 FAT32 and partition 2 EXT4.

I checked the links and to my knowledge this is correct?

ls -l /system/media -> lrwsrwsrwt root root 2010-07-15 16:34 media -> /disk/media

ls -l /data/data -> lrwsrwsrwt root root 2010-07-15 12:14 data -> /disk/data

Btw, is this really correct? Something looks odd with the link in here doesn't it?

cd /system/media

ls -l

-rw-r--r-- root root 56356 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_75.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 57200 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_40.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 56704 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_60.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 57372 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_45.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 56232 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_90.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 56360 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_95.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 53708 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_100.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 747328 2010-07-13 18:58 bootsamsungloop.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 4657372 2010-07-13 18:58 bootsamsung.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 58176 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_25.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 57396 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_50.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 57764 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_20.qmg

drwxr-xr-x root root 2010-07-13 18:58 audio

-rw-r--r-- root root 57984 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_15.qmg

drwxr-xr-x root root 2010-07-13 18:58 video

-rw-r--r-- root root 55696 2010-07-13 18:58 Disconnected.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 57924 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_35.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 56860 2010-07-13 18:58 chargingwarning.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 58556 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_10.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 57956 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_5.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 56704 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_65.qmg

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2010-07-15 18:20 media -> /disk/media

-rw-r--r-- root root 56300 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_80.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 56260 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_85.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 56844 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_55.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 56568 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_70.qmg

-rw-r--r-- root root 57556 2010-07-13 18:58 battery_charging_30.qmg

Guest Arnon

This means your SD card partition did not work properly

if you type mount you'd see that the /disk is not in fact mounted

Arnon

Guest AndyCr15

Ok, I found one of them that work, so never mind that :angry:

If I've already Paul's fix, can I do this one or do I need to undo Paul's fix first?

Thanks.

Guest lexmeister2

Ok just did the whole thing again and it worked perfectly, the phone is literally flying now. Had no idea it would be this fast! Benchmark score has come in at 1743 - obviously don't care too much about that, the speed during normal use is just incredible.

Thanks so much for this, the lagging was starting to really annoy me, now it's just perfect :angry:

Had same problem with Adb, but i did enter the commands from phone itself in terminal insted. And that did work right away, not sure if all did go to well tho as mine did start go very very slow after one day with hard use, so reflashed old jg5 again. :angry:

Guest AndyCr15

Okay, so I got impatient and started messing... and I think I broke it :D

It will boot past the animation, then the screen goes black and nothing happens. If I press a softkey they light up, and stay lit. No other key seems to have any effect.

I've now used Odin3 to flash JG5 over the top, thinking I'll just start fresh on the new firmware (I was on r2 before) but even after a flash (minus CSC file, as it never seems to flash when I include that) it still does the same... just sits on a blank screen. Any ideas?

**EDIT** I did it again and it seems to be working now.... :angry:

**EDIT2** Okay, last question and I'm off to bed. I have JG5 running, seems quick. How do you then install BusyBox, to be able to do this hack? As I'm on a stock ROM, I no longer have root?

Edited by AndyCr15

Guest DistortedLoop
Hmm, found out another thing that does not seem right since I applied V4. Some programs does not retain the settings after a reboot. Quick test for anyone who have the same problem with Quadrant as I had; try to change settings in GPS test and then reboot to see if the settings are gone..

I don't have the advanced version of quadrant to test your specific issue. Other apps seem to be holding their settings though. Do you have any other examples?

Guest DistortedLoop

Mid-day report after installing JG5 and this kernel & hack/fix:

THIS PHONE IS FRICKIN' FAST.

Seriously! Apps are just opening right up, faster, smoother. Benchmarks aside, so far the phone "feels" much more fluid. What a pleasure.

Guest DistortedLoop
**EDIT2** Okay, last question and I'm off to bed. I have JG5 running, seems quick. How do you then install BusyBox, to be able to do this hack? As I'm on a stock ROM, I no longer have root?

(problem with edits is people might miss your question, I almost did.)

Anyways, even with JG5, just run the update.zip file that mimocan posted a few pages back. It's probably the same way you rooted the phone in the first place, but I'm not sure it's the same file. Download it, put it in root of the internal sdcard, reboot to recovery, select flash updates, voila you're rooted. I think that installs busybox as well. If not there are apps that do it for you on the Market...Titanium backup is one, and I think someone mentioned an app for busybox specifically earlier.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest jdomnia

i am very sure have superuser access because of the ##

and i have busybox because when i enter busybox, the whole list of commands appear.

i also heeded the advice given by mimocan to partition fat32 as first partition and ext4 as second, but still same problem occured..

btw i would like to ask, when flashing v4 of the .tar file, do i flash it with microSD card inside the phone during flashing? i removed sd card before flashing. so does it mean i boot up after flashing>insert SD card>then enter adb commands?

tanhz, just in case you haven't solve your problem, i have the same problem before.

what i did is install the root explorer advance (google it) and push the mount r/w button on the top right (default is mount as r/o (read only)).

that will solve your problem.

i have done mine but still have lag, and cannot complete the quadrant test. will redone the process again.

tq.