Android 2.1 - Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, netfilter and compache ramzswap for GSM Hero

Guest freeasabeer

Guest Nazgulled
1) Compache is not enabled in stock kernel. In fact it's not even included. I patched the sources (it's not even in the vanilla kernel source tree v 2.6.29).

I didn't know that, I though it was enabled... Can I assume that having compcache disabled, whatever it's doing, it's doing the same as the fault kernel right?

Where can I read more about compcache and the default method used in the default kernel? I've searched but couldn't find much info about the two and differences between them. That's basically what I want to know, the differences and benefits of one versus the other...

2) The kernel should be ROM independent provided you merge it with the appropriate ramdisk to create the "right" boot.img

Basically, I need to replace the ramdisk on my own boot.img with the one found on the boot.img from the download on this thread? And of course, use all the modules and init scripts... Right?

Guest goatee

This may seem like a stupid question, but without OC enabled, does this kernel provide better performance than the one included in r5?

Guest davrian
This may seem like a stupid question, but without OC enabled, does this kernel provide better performance than the one included in r5?

I found the speed increase phenomenal, without overclocking... I have 100+ apps though and tend to multi task a fair bit. I enabled compcache to use my swap partition and i've not moved back since. It's nice to have ext4 support if you run a2sd as well!

Guest goatee

Thanks for the feedback - when touchpal is finished downloading and installing, I'll install it :angry:.

I found the speed increase phenomenal, without overclocking... I have 100+ apps though and tend to multi task a fair bit. I enabled compcache to use my swap partition and i've not moved back since. It's nice to have ext4 support if you run a2sd as well!

Guest NutsPT

I'm using OverclockWidget and can't pass the 528Mhz even used several tutorials on this app/widget... :D set it to 691 but never updates... :\

Any help.

Thx

PS: I allready installed the zip :angry:

Guest DeekB
Trying out this one now, thanks! :angry: Seems good so far, but would be awesome with working overclocking up to 690MHz :D

I agree!

Used this one for a couple of day's and was impressed compared to stock but like the OC feature.

Guest DeekB

I went back to this kernal as the other ones as causing me issues,

Would be good to get this overclocked though I agree with vatvedt

Guest venturerider
i don't want to OC my hero and also don't use a2sd. would teknologist kernel on hero make any difference for me?

Good question. Other than the added modules, are there any optimizations in the Teknologist kernel?

I'm reading a lot about some effect of compcache on the performance of heros using a2sd - can someone explain that to me? Also what benefit ext4 would bring?

Guest venturerider
I'm reading a lot about some effect of compcache on the performance of heros using a2sd - can someone explain that to me? Also what benefit ext4 would bring?

Compcache grabs a chuck of RAM and makes a compressed cache with it. The problem with that is that you already have a small amount of RAM. Now you have even less. So your OS will swap sooner and more often. Because the cache is compressed, that requires your CPU to compress/uncompress the pages as they are written/read from the cache. On a system with a slow CPU, that's not very good. So now, your OS is swapping more often and your CPU is compressing/decompressing on the fly. Therefore, when that cache kicks in, I expect the Hero will slow down.

Of course, I might have completely misunderstood the way compcache works. If so, disregard this message ;-)

Guest AlThePost
i don't want to OC my hero and also don't use a2sd. would teknologist kernel on hero make any difference for me?

I remember the 1.91 kernel making a huge difference over stock. I suggest a read of the support thread for it here as my understanding is that freeasabeer incorporated most (if not all) of the optimisations into this kernel.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Btw, I'm not overclocking either (it doesn't appear to work correctly anyhow) but am using A2SD+ and my handset definitely 'feels' snappier in use with this kernel.

Guest heroboy
i can confirm: no OC!

within the OC settings it shows 691mhz but when u move the slider it goes only to max 528mhz.

Overclocking doesn't work for me, too. :(

I took a closer look at this and found, that there are only

two powermanager governors compiled in tk kernel : ondemand (default setting) and performance.

I tried to manipulate speeds via linux sys structure

echo '691000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

but sys interface seems not to react here.

As far as I know, only userspace governor is capable of scaling cpu speed manually.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Maybe its worth a try to compile userspace governor with tk kernel ?

Guest redcow
Overclocking doesn't work for me, too. :(

I took a closer look at this and found, that there are only

two powermanager governors compiled in tk kernel : ondemand (default setting) and performance.

I tried to manipulate speeds via linux sys structure

echo '691000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

but sys interface seems not to react here.

As far as I know, only userspace governor is capable of scaling cpu speed manually.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Maybe its worth a try to compile userspace governor with tk kernel ?

no you dont need the userspace governor, because that governor just changes the frequencies and does not react to processor load or dynamically changes the cpu speed (which you absolutely want to save battery), just set the min and max freq using scaling_max_freq and scaling_min_freq and your done, the governor does the frequency switching for you.