New OC-enabled Kernel for MCRr5

Guest Kalle Falter

Guest vatvedt

Hi,

I'm new to changing kernel, but the ADB commands are done when I'm in the recovery, or?

I've copied the two files to the sdcard, but it doesn't seem to find newBoot.img file. I've tried with both USB enabled and disabled in the Amon-Ra recovery.

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell

/ # cat /dev/zero > /dev/mtd/mtd2

cat /dev/zero > /dev/mtd/mtd2

cat: write error: No space left on device

/ # flash_image boot /sdcard/newBoot.img

flash_image boot /sdcard/newBoot.img

error opening /sdcard/newBoot.img: No such file or directory

Any ideas?

Guest AlThePost
Hi,

I'm new to changing kernel, but the ADB commands are done when I'm in the recovery, or?

I ran them with the device booted normally and they completed without problems. I think you'll have to insert "mount /sdcard" before the "flash_image" command if doing it in the recovery image... iirc /sdcard isn't mounted by default.

Guest vatvedt
I ran them with the device booted normally and they completed without problems. I think you'll have to insert "mount /sdcard" before the "flash_image" command if doing it in the recovery image... iirc /sdcard isn't mounted by default.

Thanks, worked without errors when using ADB when booted normally :angry: Was trying that next, but your answer beat me to it ;) Thanks anyway!

Now to see if everything works as it should :D

Guest vatvedt

Seems to be working great. Thanks! :angry:

Edit: Had to change to the "No 19MHz" kernel. The wakeup was sometimes causing problems here as well. Thanks for providing this kernel! :D

Edited by vatvedt

Guest vatvedt

Seems to be working fine, but one time I turned the screen on, the screen had a purple'ish tint to it. Turned the screen off and on again, and everything looked normal. Other than that, it seems to be working great. Might be that my phone is not happy about 710MHz?

Guest redcow
Seems to be working fine, but one time I turned the screen on, the screen had a purple'ish tint to it. Turned the screen off and on again, and everything looked normal. Other than that, it seems to be working great. Might be that my phone is not happy about 710MHz?

some hero devices have problems waking up if the lowest "wake up" frequency is too low e.g 19MHz (the devices do not react or have graphic glitches). If it happens regularly you should use a kernel with more "conservative" frequencies (e.g look at "my kernel" posted in another thread)

Guest DeekB

Any chance of getting this in an update.zip

I am not sure how to run the required command's from a terminal,

Have tried using a command prompt window from winow's XP but must be missing something!

Guest vatvedt
some hero devices have problems waking up if the lowest "wake up" frequency is too low e.g 19MHz (the devices do not react or have graphic glitches). If it happens regularly you should use a kernel with more "conservative" frequencies (e.g look at "my kernel" posted in another thread)

I've only seen the purple'ish tint on two or three occasions, so I'll leave it as is. At least for now. Works pretty good, and my Hero is more responsive :angry:

@DeekB, you have to install ADB drivers on your computer, and put your phone in HTC Sync or something (when connected to the computer), to connect. You can read up on it http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/06/how-to-set-up-adb-usb-drivers-for-android-devices/

Guest DeekB
I've only seen the purple'ish tint on two or three occasions, so I'll leave it as is. At least for now. Works pretty good, and my Hero is more responsive :angry:

@DeekB, you have to install ADB drivers on your computer, and put your phone in HTC Sync or something (when connected to the computer), to connect. You can read up on it http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/06/how-to-set-up-adb-usb-drivers-for-android-devices/

Thank's Vatvedt

Just going to give it a try now, Using the Teknologist one the now but lack's the overclock function,

I've used Modaco since 2.6 and updated everytime a new rom came out, just tried the villianrom 12.0, Personaly I prefer modaco's look and feel but the villianrom does seem alot more snappier,

Just trying to make the Modaco match it.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Guest DeekB

Thank's for the kernal and thanks again to Vatvedt,

After about 40 mins of messing around I managed to get the new kernal installed.

Guest vatvedt
Thank's for the kernal and thanks again to Vatvedt,

After about 40 mins of messing around I managed to get the new kernal installed.

Great :angry:

Guest vatvedt

I've changed kernel to Teknologist kernel to test that one as well. With this kernel, my phone hangs once now and then when using my GPS. So I'm trying another kernel to see if the overclocking might have been to much for my little Hero :angry:

Maybe 690MHz is my phones limit. Will there be a release of this kernel with 690MHz max? that would be great :D

Thanks either way!

Guest DJBenson

Just to let people know - I have successfully flashed this boot on top of VillainROM12 with no issues. The CIFS modules are brilliant as I can mount shares on my local network and browse my full music and movie collection from my phone and stream them as if the files were local :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Kalle Falter

Hi there,

I made a new version based on the Flykernel09-sources from Erasmux (see xda).

New features are:

- OC-Widget or SetCPU can set scaling range (from 19MHz to insanity) and governor. The brave try settings above 691MHz, the idiots set 768MHz or above as your device will crash or even brick.

- DroidWall should work

Install as described in the first post.

Have fun!

I'm not responsible if anything bad happens, proceed at your own risk and only if you know what you are doing!

2.6.29.6_A2SD4MCRr5_FaltFly.rar

Edited by Kalle Falter

Guest tonemgub1
Hi there,

I made a new version based on the Flykernel09-sources from Erasmux (see xda).

New features are:

- OC-Widget or SetCPU can set scaling range (from 19MHz to insanity) and governor. The brave try settings above 691MHz, the idiots set 768MHz or above as your device will crash or even brick.

- DroidWall should work

Install as described in the first post.

Have fun!

I'm not responsible if anything bad happens, proceed at your own risk and only if you know what you are doing!

This will work with "Android 2.1 based MoDaCo Custom ROM r5 for the GSM HTC Hero"?

Thank you!

Guest richteas

Kalle, thanks for producing that kernel. Managed to install it alongside MoDaCo Custom ROM (Android 2.1 based r5) on my GSM Hero. Overclocking using SetCPU seems to work for me, too.

I have one question though: How do I get the loopback module running ? How do I check wether it is running or not?

(Background: I'm trying to get the Debian installation available for the Hero running on MCR r5 (android 2.1). While this was running quite nicely on MCR up to 3.2 as long as I have a loopback module available, I have been unsucessful so far on r5. I was hoping your kernel would be able to get that functionality back.

Guest Kalle Falter

well, I just compiled those modules into the kernel but never tested them.

Can you post the output of what you are doing to get Debian to run? Maybe there are some significant error messages.

Guest richteas
well, I just compiled those modules into the kernel but never tested them.

Can you post the output of what you are doing to get Debian to run? Maybe there are some significant error messages.

Ok, I would like to confirm that loopback functionality is working quite nicely. After further digging around, I found that I had to

add a mknod command before the actual mount command employing the loopback device, like so:

#cd /sdcard/debian
#mknod /dev/loop0 b 7 0
#mount -o loop,noatime debian.img debian/[/codebox]

Actually running Debian still fails, but that is a separate issue. Loopback works!

Thank you!