MCR r8 development archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest reudyfam
Hi,

Is there a way to sort out the missing widgets problem without wiping the whole stuff out? I have just installed the latest version, it seems to work fine, except that issue.

thanks.

Backup the widgets using titanium or mybackup pro, uninstall the widgets, then restore them through whichever program you used to back them up. Worked for me. :D

Guest jwilhoit
I had exactly the same error and ended up baking a new rom. Although the options I picked were the same as the old one it ended up being a few meg bigger so I put it down to something going wrong in the baking.

I have followed the steps outlined in the post you referred me to. The exact error is still happening.

E:Can't symlink /system/xbin/bb

E:Failure at line 43:

symlink/system/xbin SYSTEM:xbin/bb

Iam using the RA Recovery image v1.7.0.1. My nexus one is rooted. I have built 5 rom bakes varying in size. Everytime it is the exact error. Any additional ideas?

Edited by jwilhoit

Guest jwilhoit
Follow the steps in the first post from http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...th-sense-frf91/

I have followed the steps outlined in the post you referred me to. The exact error is still happening.

E:Can't symlink /system/xbin/bb

E:Failure at line 43:

symlink/system/xbin SYSTEM:xbin/bb

Iam using the RA Recovery image v1.7.0.1. My nexus one is rooted. I have built 5 rom bakes varying in size. Everytime it is the exact error. Any additional ideas?

Trying again...

No one else getting the mount sd card read-only problem I mentioned in post 2477 (Page 124) then?

...or has this all been covered before and I just missed reading about it?

Any feedback would be much appreciated folks. Surely I'm not the only one suffering from this? :D

Cheers

Yes, it has been discussed here and on XDA. It is apparently related to the SD card corruption issue when using A2SD+ and happens on all 2.2 ROMS ( I can't remember if it's only Sense ROMS or not?).

Unfortunately it appears to be either unsolvable, or low priority to be fixed by devs, as any discussion about it peters out without solution. (This isn't meant to be a dig at any dev... I'm just stating what I'm seeing. I have a HUGE amount of respect for the work all the devs do, especially Paul.)

I'm working around it by doing all my transfers by wireless, but I'll probably change to Froyo Native Apps2SD in the near future and see if I can live with that.

see these threads for more discussion:

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...for-developers/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747302

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748793

Guest Thunderbirds

i have a quicky question, i i use this custom rom which i want the froyo 2.2, it will upgrade my bootloader as well right? will i be able to go back to 2.1 later?

Guest fatwolf

Can someone please confirm my observations.

I upgraded to the latest rom doing a wipe 1st.

However when using titanium back to restore all my apps and settings various widgets from the menu to add them to the desktop vanish.

After doing restores 1 by 1 it seems to be when i restore "[DESKTOP] HTC Sense 1.00" that i loose all the options

The problem is this is my desktop layout.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Is there a way i can restore the desktop without loosing available widgets?

Guest tigris666
Can someone please confirm my observations.

I upgraded to the latest rom doing a wipe 1st.

However when using titanium back to restore all my apps and settings various widgets from the menu to add them to the desktop vanish.

After doing restores 1 by 1 it seems to be when i restore "[DESKTOP] HTC Sense 1.00" that i loose all the options

The problem is this is my desktop layout.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Is there a way i can restore the desktop without loosing available widgets?

See above posts, this has been answered already.

Guest rameses
Backup the widgets using titanium or mybackup pro, uninstall the widgets, then restore them through whichever program you used to back them up. Worked for me. :D

Yep, worked for me too. :D

Guest Albert Poon
I've got a fix for you dude :D I had this problem. I am presuming you are just using the import and export functions of the Sense phone book here so if you're not this might not apply.

Luckily, the hyphens are added when you export the contacts rather than when you import then. After you've exported your contacts, open up the file this generates in a text editor. It's just a plain text XML or something. Then use the find and replace function to find "-" and replace with "" (i.e. leave the replace box empty). This should nuke all the unwanted hyphens in your numbers. Then you can import that file and you shouldn't have them in your phone numbers this time.

This worked for me so give it a shot.

Why don't use GMail contacts? Just open an a/c for phone numbers.

Guest Albert Poon
In the accounts & sync menu if I push add account: facebook..nothing happens.

You must have Facebook for Sense installed. (click both Sense and Facebook in the kitchen)

Guest Bisonator
Yes, it has been discussed here and on XDA. It is apparently related to the SD card corruption issue when using A2SD+ and happens on all 2.2 ROMS ( I can't remember if it's only Sense ROMS or not?).

Unfortunately it appears to be either unsolvable, or low priority to be fixed by devs, as any discussion about it peters out without solution. (This isn't meant to be a dig at any dev... I'm just stating what I'm seeing. I have a HUGE amount of respect for the work all the devs do, especially Paul.)

I'm working around it by doing all my transfers by wireless, but I'll probably change to Froyo Native Apps2SD in the near future and see if I can live with that.

see these threads for more discussion:

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...for-developers/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747302

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748793

Thanks for your response czzer. Much appreciated. I was beginning to think I was invisible here! :D

Sounds like your findings are the same as my own. All the threads I found elsewhere just ran dry too. I'm really surprised such a significant issue hasn't warranted more discussion tho.

I had considered wireless transfers as a solution but find the transfers to be more fiddly. I might give this another go tho, as I am drastically low on space and haven't been able to restore all of my apps from my Titanium backup!

I live in hope that the devs find a way to fix this and that I actually find out about it when they do! :D

Thanks again

Thanks for your response czzer. Much appreciated. I was beginning to think I was invisible here! :D

Sounds like your findings are the same as my own. All the threads I found elsewhere just ran dry too. I'm really surprised such a significant issue hasn't warranted more discussion tho.

I had considered wireless transfers as a solution but find the transfers to be more fiddly. I might give this another go tho, as I am drastically low on space and haven't been able to restore all of my apps from my Titanium backup!

I live in hope that the devs find a way to fix this and that I actually find out about it when they do! :D

Thanks again

Has anyone tried the SD Dual Mount widget I mentioned earlier to see if it prevents the SD corruption?

P

Guest chipyy
Why don't use GMail contacts? Just open an a/c for phone numbers.

Oh I do now, but they were on the phone before. The above steps were what I did to get rid of extra hyphens I was getting when first importing them to my GMail account.

Guest beady_uk
I've got a fix for you dude :D I had this problem. I am presuming you are just using the import and export functions of the Sense phone book here so if you're not this might not apply.

Luckily, the hyphens are added when you export the contacts rather than when you import then. After you've exported your contacts, open up the file this generates in a text editor. It's just a plain text XML or something. Then use the find and replace function to find "-" and replace with "" (i.e. leave the replace box empty). This should nuke all the unwanted hyphens in your numbers. Then you can import that file and you shouldn't have them in your phone numbers this time.

This worked for me so give it a shot.

Ill give this a go later mate when i get myself sorted- need to sort myself out with a new bake since it is now RC1 and my most recent bake was before this. I will let you know if it works.

Maybe if paul is reading he maybe able to sort a fix for the export side of the problem with the hyphens unless they are there for a reason?? Or if its to much for for R8 maybe this could be included in R9?? :D

Thanks again Chipyy

You must have Facebook for Sense installed. (click both Sense and Facebook in the kitchen)

Thank you buddy :D I have facebook for htc sense, but I installed facebook for android later.

Guest Hammerhand

Hello, something very annoying is happening to me; weather doesn't get my real location in r8 (neither it didn't do it in r4, r5...); in google, it says "your current location is..." and it is (so it works), but weather always shows the location when I flashed the rom; I have wiped, rewiped, etc... and always the same; I have done the same in my wife's phone and it works well, but mine doesn't.

What can I do??

Thanks in advance.

Guest Barbs80

signed up for adfree yesterday (after being a freebie user for a while on both Pulse and Desire) so I could use the kitchen as there are now way too many options to just use the prebakes.

flashed r8 RC1 with no major problems - only thing i encountered was I couldn't get any mobile data (Orange UK) to start with. After about an hour it just started working. Noticed a couple of other orange people had similar problems on Orange - but a day or two before me. Just putting it down to orange being weird.

flashed supercircle over the top and all is good :D

Cheers Paul for the great work.