MCR r8 development archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest spiry2sick
Strange issue made itself apparent today. Seems I cannot hear any phone calls except via the headset or if I activate the loudspeaker. Cannot hear the dial tones, speaker, etc. It happened out of the blue. I had been running r8 for the last few days now.

Problem solved. Somehow plugging the usb lead in and changing its mode from charge only to disk drive and back fixed it. Looks like a software issue to me. Any ideas as what might be the cause? Is the handset somehow getting confused between usb charging modes and usb headset mode?

post-694901-1281695455_thumb.jpg.

See the above screenshot

The icon left to the GSM indicator shows up whenever I plug a normal headset - not the usb one (which I do not have in the first place).

I am not sure whether it is the part of the circle battery mod. This is the version I have used

It would be great if someone more knowledgable could make a sense out of this.

Edited by spiry2sick

Guest scared

Apologies, but I have a "noob" reputation to live up to.

The Kitchen states that for A2SD+, I have to partition my SD Card to have FAT first and EXT3 second.

On the Custom Recovery, it always asks for SWAP first, EXT2 next and FAT last. I finally have to upgrade my EXT2 to EXT3. Does following this process suffice the requirement stated in the kitchen?

Guest Mushhushshu
Problem solved. Somehow plugging the usb lead in and changing its mode from charge only to disk drive and back fixed it. Looks like a software issue to me. Any ideas as what might be the cause? Is the handset somehow getting confused between usb charging modes and usb headset mode?

The icon left to the GSM indicator shows up whenever I plug a normal headset - not the usb one (which I do not have in the first place).

I am not sure whether it is the part of the circle battery mod. This is the version I have used

It would be great if someone more knowledgable could make a sense out of this.

I had similar issues with smooth sense and earlier versions of circle battery - I didnt realise it actually messed with the headset functionality, thought it had just screwed with the icons :D

Anyway this version was made for r7 and I've been running it on r8 and all seems well - icons are back to normal at least.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=720

Guest spiry2sick
I had similar issues with smooth sense and earlier versions of circle battery - I didnt realise it actually messed with the headset functionality, thought it had just screwed with the icons :D

Anyway this version was made for r7 and I've been running it on r8 and all seems well - icons are back to normal at least.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=720

Thanks, I will give it a try!

Guest riverboat2001
Try Titanium Backup, i just started using it, backs up all your apps/settings so you can easily restore after flashing a new ROM. Some posters explained how to use it a few posts back.

I use the paid up Titanium Back-up...it's great almost complete backup with no problems. (does a batch restore too, so complete restore in about two minutes....worth every penny)

The only problems i have is that it doesn't preserve usernames and password very well, ie facebook and gmail.

Guest persko
Apologies, but I have a "noob" reputation to live up to.

The Kitchen states that for A2SD+, I have to partition my SD Card to have FAT first and EXT3 second.

On the Custom Recovery, it always asks for SWAP first, EXT2 next and FAT last. I finally have to upgrade my EXT2 to EXT3. Does following this process suffice the requirement stated in the kitchen?

Well if you partition from the phone recovery menu, it does put fat first, and ext2 last, even it does not look that way from the menu.

(though I always use a Linux computer to do that job).

You do not need to upgrade from ext2 to ext3, it will work just as well on ext2.

Per

Guest scared
Well if you partition from the phone recovery menu, it does put fat first, and ext2 last, even it does not look that way from the menu.

(though I always use a Linux computer to do that job).

You do not need to upgrade from ext2 to ext3, it will work just as well on ext2.

Per

Thanks! Will try that. I don't have a Linux Computer handy. Hence, I will have to work with the Custom Recovery. And as for EXT3, well I guess I will just go ahead and do it anyway since that is the way I had setup my phone while on Eclair.

One more question though: the Format SD option in ROM Manager does not have an explicit step to upgrade EXT2 to EXT3. Does anyone know if it does this upgrade anyway?

Thanks!

Guest scared

Just flashed a very simple R8 (no fancy additions/minus QuickOffice) with A2SD+. System seems to be working fine.

Am impressed at Titanium Backup's ability to restore all settings and apps! Saved me a bunch of work. Too bad I forgot to bake it into my ROM; had to download it from the Market manually.

Bluetooth Voice Dialing now works! But it fails to understand a word I say :D

A2SD+ is working great - saved me over 50MB of internal space already.

Guest pfsykes
Just flashed a very simple R8 (no fancy additions/minus QuickOffice) with A2SD+. System seems to be working fine.

Am impressed at Titanium Backup's ability to restore all settings and apps! Saved me a bunch of work. Too bad I forgot to bake it into my ROM; had to download it from the Market manually.

Bluetooth Voice Dialing now works! But it fails to understand a word I say :D

A2SD+ is working great - saved me over 50MB of internal space already.

Mine understands every work I say.

Awesome work Paul.

Peter

Guest scared
Mine understands every work I say.

Awesome work Paul.

Peter

Yes, I am sure it does. The problem is not the ROM or the app, it surely is my accent. Hence, until the app gets upgraded to understand an Indian accent better, I guess I will have to live with what I have.

VLingo does a better job though - it's a shame it doesn't support Voice Dialing over Bluetooth.

Edited by scared

Guest Entreated
There are two distinct actions - call and dial.

Call Fred on Mobile will call Fred from your address book on his mobile number. you can say home and work also. This works from bluetooth or just using the phone.

Dial 012344556 will call a number. However this never worked for me. I always get the same issue as you with the 201 area code inserted before every number. Because of this I never used it.

With the new voice actions "call" works as does map and navigate. Dial, set alarm , send email, send text all just bring up google search - Ie If I say set alarm for eight thirty is just searches Google for "set alarm for eight thirty"!

Ha! Just discovered something. This only works with voice input set to US English. Won't work with UK english or anything else. Go to settings/voice input and output/ voice recognizer settings/language and set to US English. Now send note/send email etc will all work.

I read about it only being available due the US on the link that Paul posted.

Changed the language like you suggested and works a treat, not as well as UK due to recognition but still a bonus, as I can send texts, go to etc.

Guest Dr_Ash

sorry if this has been covered already. Is anyone having problems with their camera with this build? My camera doesn't seem to focus and all photos seem generally fuzzy with strange lighting.

I haven't had a problem until this point....

Guest dodolom
Hi Paul,

R8 flashed and running very fine.

I've just installed a DSP Manager with equalizer (long awaited function for Android ^^) : http://bel.fi/~alankila/android-dsp/

It seems to work flawlessly and with a good audio quality (though I'm not a pro ...)

Could you considere to integrate it in the kitchen ?

Philippe

Hey Philippe,

What exactly does this app do and where can we download it at? I couldn't see a download link on that website you mentioned.

thnx

Guest venturerider

Silly question, but why would Paul integrate into the kitchen a bunch of apps that are readily available on the Market? Surely one can install them oneself? Surely one can use Titanium Backup?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Guest Kynddelic

@dodolom :

The download link is the "update.zip" : http://bel.fi/~alankila/android-dsp/dsp-signed.zip

Download, flash it with clockwork recovery, activate with the new DSP Manager application, and listen :D

@venturerider :

Because IMO it's a missing core functionnality which should be included in the OS. See http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=726

(and it's not in the market)

Edited by Kynddelic

Guest dodolom
@dodolom :

The download link is the "update.zip" : http://bel.fi/~alankila/android-dsp/dsp-signed.zip

Download, flash it with clockwork recovery, activate with the new DSP Manager application, and listen :D

@venturerider :

Because IMO it's a missing core functionnality which should be included in the OS. See http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=726

thanks, will try

Edited by dodolom

Guest pfsykes
@dodolom :

@venturerider :

AWESOME.... Just what iv been waiting for....

Peter

Guest Noonski
Thx for the reply. So is the radio like a set of drivers? Isn't the radio erased when wiping? I suppose it's not, since I wiped then applied my DeFrost and it went OK. But that might explain why launching the video cam now causes my device to crash.

I think I'll move to R8, it looks better, and maintained every day.

Thx again

With Paul spreading his attention to multiple devices, you can expect that R8 will eventually not be something Daily :D

Last month i have come to expect one or two big changes a week. But that also has to do with the release of Beta Rom's and then the official Sense Rom.

Guest Noonski
So R19(R21) has not further develepmont because it comes originally from Nexus one?

R8 wip is a Rom based on the original HTC Desire Froyo rom???

post-694901-1281695455_thumb.jpg

Wow it's been a while since i've seen the stock Desire/Sense Dock :D

@Paul the Wifi Sleep Fix looks like a a valuable option. At least for me.

Edited by Noonski