MCR r8 development archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Diggedy
Thanks mate, installed it. Looks awesome!

Now my only issue is it seems that my phone is constantly trying to sync something, I think possibly something to do with my gmail account.

I've told it to stop syncing in the background, so it's all manual at the moment, but it was chewing through my battery, not so much my usage however.

have you removed friends stream? read the R5 thread, its a known issue

Guest Jamien

Don't have friendstream installed.

I believe, at the moment, it's a radio issue. Accessing the net is slow or non existant, Market doesn't work, etc.

Cleared the data which I believe would be linked to network settings, just reset and am about to try putting the APN's in again.

Hopefully this works!

-e

Seems to have worked :(

-e2

Not so sure now. Sent a test email to myself and it hasn't yet pinged.

That was 11 minutes ago >_>

Don't know the frequency that emails get pushed, so not sure if it's an error or what.

Epic facepalm moment. I forgot I turned sync off!

Trying to check battery life too. Recently due to the fact it's been trying to constantly sync, with no avail, the battery life has taken a dive.

From 91% this morning (wouldn't hit 100% for some reason) to around 85% after arriving to work. Now it's down to 53% ish, 5 hours later. That's without doing anything major on it. Mostly just adjusting settings and trying to find out if I could see what was wrong!

Edited by Jamien

Guest Paul..
36 when its at the side and there is no use at all

Nope, not at all. Regular usage: calls, Foursquare, Twitter, listening to podcasts on the way to work...

Guest ssergE
Hi, I have an issue with installing apps from the Market since upgrading to r6. This issue did not exist during r5.

D/vending ( 1884): [21] VendingDoctor.handleFixDownloadCompletes(): Download completed, kicking: MixZing Media Player

W/ActivityManager(  178): Permission Denial: broadcasting Intent { act=android.intent.action.DOWNLOAD_COMPLETED dat=content://downloads/download/18 cmp=com.android.vending/.AssetDownloader$DownloadManagerBroadcastReceiver (has extras) } from com.android.vending (pid=1884, uid=10060) requires android.permission.SEND_DOWNLOAD_COMPLETED_INTENTS due to receiver com.android.vending/com.android.vending.AssetDownloader$DownloadManagerBroadcastReceiver

D/vending ( 1884): [21] VendingDoctor.handleFixDownloadCompletes(): Download completed, kicking: Spare Parts

W/ActivityManager(  178): Permission Denial: broadcasting Intent { act=android.intent.action.DOWNLOAD_COMPLETED dat=content://downloads/download/20 cmp=com.android.vending/.AssetDownloader$DownloadManagerBroadcastReceiver (has extras) } from com.android.vending (pid=1884, uid=10060) requires android.permission.SEND_DOWNLOAD_COMPLETED_INTENTS due to receiver com.android.vending/com.android.vending.AssetDownloader$DownloadManagerBroadcastReceiver

Anyone else getting this? I did a full wipe and tried again, sometimes it succeeds, other times it hangs when about to install an app.

Guest Paul..
Oh, BTW, some people were complaining of issues with multiple Gmail accounts. I also had this initially. When I went into 'accounts & sync' three out of the four Gmail accounts I have were only allowing me to sync calendar and contacts, not Gmail. What you have to do to fix this is go into the Gmail app, pick each inactive account and manually sync. You'll get a message saying something like 'if you want to do this automatically go into sync accounts ..'. Manually sync each duff account. Then .. go back into 'accounts & sync' and magically each account now allows you to check the 'sync email' option. Strange!

Looks like I spoke too soon. The 'fix' above allowed me to sync mail from all the Gmail accounts (the option to sync mail wasn't event there initially for some accounts). However, auto-syncing (immediate push) is only happening on one account - as described by other people here. If I manually 'sync all' or sync each account it's all fine. Auto-sync options all ticked etc. Probably the only major issue I've had with this ROM thus far :-(

[edited to add: weirder and weirder. The past 30 minutes or so mail has been coming into the phone as it arrives, across all the accounts. Will have to do more testing on different networks and in different places, but seems like a sporadic issue. I wonder if it's Google's end that is the issue?]

Edited by Paul..

Guest Jamien

Arg! I really don't get why it's doing this.

I did a nandroid backup of my current ROM, reverted back to my stock ROM which came with the phone, checked 3g.

Internet usage was a bit wonky, but it worked. Speed test reported decent speeds for it (faster than an iphone in the same office).

Restored my backup of the r6 ROM, internet doesn't work again.

It's got the latest radio, correct settings ... all I can think of is that maybe it's the building and the fact it's overcast? :|

At least I'm hoping it's that.

Plus, my battery is still getting drained like a mofo. It's down to 29% now (2:20pm. Down from 85% at 7:30am)

Edited by Jamien

Guest scointer
Oh, BTW, some people were complaining of issues with multiple Gmail accounts. I also had this initially. When I went into 'accounts & sync' three out of the four Gmail accounts I have were only allowing me to sync calendar and contacts, not Gmail. What you have to do to fix this is go into the Gmail app, pick each inactive account and manually sync. You'll get a message saying something like 'if you want to do this automatically go into sync accounts ..'. Manually sync each duff account. Then .. go back into 'accounts & sync' and magically each account now allows you to check the 'sync email' option. Strange!

Couple of other issues I had with R6 so far (nothing major - seems v solid up to now):

- strange widget behaviour: larger widgets such as stocks and calendar seem to have a weird 'ghosting' effect on the text when scrolling up and down. Almost as if the shadow remains static but the text scrolls)

- HTC IME_MOD: was my fault but make sure you upgrade this separately, otherwise that keyboard will consistently FC!

- on-screen notifications for apps such as Titanium. Often the notifications (e.g. 'this application has been granted SuperUser..') will remain on screen forever (until a reboot). Not a huge issue as I rarely use those apps, but FYI

Did a full charge overnight so will see how the battery goes today. Pre upgrade (non rooted) I was getting about 36 hours between recharges.

The strange widget behaviour is because you have duplicate widgets on top of one another. I had this, it sometimes happens when you restore a backup. Remove the widgets until you are sure you only have one left (there can sometimes be more than two) and make sure you check all widgets (some look fine but are still duplicated and this slows things down) every one of mine was duplicated (clock,friendstream,weather,apps, everything).

Guest Paul..
The strange widget behaviour is because you have duplicate widgets on top of one another. I had this, it sometimes happens when you restore a backup. Remove the widgets until you are sure you only have one left (there can sometimes be more than two) and make sure you check all widgets (some look fine but are still duplicated and this slows things down) every one of mine was duplicated (clock,friendstream,weather,apps, everything).

Wow, good call - that's exactly what it was. Removed one layer and it looks fine. Didn't even know you could stack widgets! Nice one.

Edited by Paul..

Guest Jamien

aaaand the battery is dead.

I was standing outside to see if the internet side of things was being affected by the building and watched it drop 3% in the 10 or so minutes I was out there.

That's not normal :|

Guest tommo123

well, i tried opendesire but couldn't stand not having sense and restored a backup via rom manager. no hassles at all with dupe apps. looks like rom manager copies the ext partition as well from the looks of it

Guest subvertbeats
Don't have friendstream installed.

I believe, at the moment, it's a radio issue. Accessing the net is slow or non existant, Market doesn't work, etc.

Cleared the data which I believe would be linked to network settings, just reset and am about to try putting the APN's in again.

Hopefully this works!

-e

Seems to have worked :(

-e2

Not so sure now. Sent a test email to myself and it hasn't yet pinged.

That was 11 minutes ago >_>

Don't know the frequency that emails get pushed, so not sure if it's an error or what.

Epic facepalm moment. I forgot I turned sync off!

Its a well known problem that Diggedy highlighted to you.

As was already suggested, its because you removed friendstream.

Re-bake with FriendStream...

Guest Jamien
Its a well known problem that Diggedy highlighted to you.

As was already suggested, its because you removed friendstream.

Re-bake with FriendStream...

Oh man, I totally mis-read his post!

Thanks muchly for pointing that out, I'll have to do it tonight when I get home :(

Bleh I feel like such a tard now :(

Guest subvertbeats
Oh man, I totally mis-read his post!

Thanks muchly for pointing that out, I'll have to do it tonight when I get home :(

Bleh I feel like such a tard now :(

Easy to do :P

Good luck..

Guest tommo123

question:

why is launcher pro included in this without the option to remove?

i chose to intsall sense and on every boot up and the first times i hit the home button, i get asked to choose between sense and launcher pro.

it's annoying.

it's not visible to remove in the apps list so i'm stuck (i'm not willing to use adb to remove it just in case)

can we get an updated r6 with a choice to remove launcher pro please?

Guest gianton
question:

i chose to intsall sense and on every boot up and the first times i hit the home button, i get asked to choose between sense and launcher pro.

it's annoying.

it's not visible to remove in the apps list so i'm stuck (i'm not willing to use adb to remove it just in case)

+1 on this

Guest marcuso
question:

it's annoying.

If you bake sense in the rom - there is no launcher pro ? At least not for me.

Guest tommo123
If you bake sense in the rom - there is no launcher pro ? At least not for me.

i chose sense, but i have launcher pro in there :(

Guest le_lutin
yep, chose to wipe in rom manager before installing

Did you ever have launcher pro before?

I certainly don't have LauncherPro in my install (R6 with wipe), and it's highly unlikely that Paul would ever include it in his Sense ROM.

Guest b_baxter
i chose sense, but i have launcher pro in there :(

Have you restored your previous apps by any chance? I've just baked myself another r6 with sense and no launcherpro in there.

Sounds like you backed up and restored previous apps, yet had previously ticked the "don't ask me again box" on pressing the home button, which has then been reset by the wipe.

Guest Diggedy
Have you restored your previous apps by any chance? I've just baked myself another r6 with sense and no launcherpro in there.

Sounds like you backed up and restored previous apps, yet had previously ticked the "don't ask me again box" on pressing the home button, which has then been reset by the wipe.

are you sure its launcher pro and not "launcher"? Launcher is the standard android launcher

Guest tommo123

now, i'm not 100%.

usually comes up on a reboot so will check next time.

acutally, i'm off to try the sense opendesire rom this afternoon, so will see when i put this rom back on after

Guest irishandrew
I had a similar problem (didn't pick it up initially as I was on wifi). I'm not exactly sure which step fixed it but I went into the various mobile data settings ('enable roaming', 'use mobile data', 'APN' etc) unchecked and rechecked the options. I think the thing that may have fixed it - weird as it sounds - was unchecking and rechecking the 'mobile network' box, which first time around also ungreyed the 'APN settings' option below).

Hi Paul, Thanks for the suggestions. I had tried this, but decided to try it again and realised that I should have chosed Vodafone Postpay ISP - silly mistake! nyhow working now, thank you :-)

Cheers,

Andrew.

Guest Diggedy
now, i'm not 100%.

usually comes up on a reboot so will check next time.

acutally, i'm off to try the sense opendesire rom this afternoon, so will see when i put this rom back on after

a quick way to check i to go into your applications, go to htc sense, force stop it and hit the clear defaults button. Then press the home key and it will give you an option of which launcher you wish to use.