Removing unneeded things from 2.1

Guest gusthy

Guest Basher52

For those who speak german, i have written an how2 couple days ago. Its not finished at all but i was out of internet for nearly one week. Coming week ill complite it, and maybe do an english translation.

www.android-hilfe.de/root-hacking-modding-fuer-t-mobile-pulse/36465-how2-android-custom-rom-erstellen.html

Greets & keep on

sorry to push things but... is the guide going to come anytime soon??

tks gusthy

As far as I concern it's simple to delete these services or rename them(Preferable).

1 - Get adb

2 - Run command "adb remount"

3 - Run command "adb shell" to open the shell

4 - Run "Su" to get SuperUser Permissions

Now you need to go to /system/bin and delete the mentioned files

You use:

"cd foldername" to open folder

"cd .." to go back to previous folder

"ls" to view the folder contents

"rm filename" to delete the file

"mv file1 file2" to rename a file

I guess this is all you need. I'm not and expert but I think there are no mistakes here.

Edited by xnapt

Guest gusthy
and can someone provide the list of files to delete? tks

It is written somewhere here, but I repeat it:

in /system/bin directory:

everything beginning with sync

debuggerd

port-bridge

in /system/bin /system/app directory you type

ls |grep -i drm

and you will see the files you need to delete, plus you delete

SFP.apk

(This one doesn't exist in FLB 1.4.1, fibblescan removed it.)

BE CAREFUL, LINUX IS CASE SENSITIVE! so you cannot type

rm sfp.apk

instead of

rm SFP.apk

*Edit:

Memory manager settings are also important:

- If you set to an agressive value, Pulse won't multitask, so your lots of free memory will only be good to show it to your spica owner friends.

- If you set to almost zero, it will go slow down.

The most difficult part to set is the content provider value, since content providers like to start even if they are not needed, in order to improve system performance.

so my recommendation for memory manager settings is that the first four values in AutoKiller are low (I set it to 6/8/12/15 actually), and the last two values high (45/50 for me).

If you set it with AutoKiller, you should enable Advanced mode to do so.

Edited by gusthy

Guest giabbe1

and what about the memory management? someone suggested lowmem-optimum...

anyway, i deleted everything with sync and debuggerd+port-bridge: now running with whopping 41mb of ram free :-)

by the way, ls |grep -i drm doesn't give me anything back..

It is written somewhere here, but I repeat it:

in /system/bin directory:

debuggerd

port-bridge

in /system/bin directory you type

ls |grep -i drm

and you will see the files you need to delete, plus you delete

SFP.apk

(This one doesn't exist in FLB 1.4.1, fibblescan removed it.)

BE CAREFUL, LINUX IS CASE SENSITIVE! so you cannot type

rm sfp.apk

instead of

rm SFP.apk

Guest rikkiej

I removed these + STK by mistake. I think the STK is somehow related to SMS becouse the messaging app was completely gone and I forgot to backup, so be warned! make a backup with ROM manager!!!

Guest gusthy
I can't find SFP.apk in /system/bin. Is it removed from FLB 1.2?

Sorry, it was my fault, it (and DRM stuff) is in /system/app directory, I corrected the typo.

Guest gusthy
I removed these + STK by mistake. I think the STK is somehow related to SMS becouse the messaging app was completely gone and I forgot to backup, so be warned! make a backup with ROM manager!!!

Guest gusthy

If you used a modded rom like FLB or so, don't worry - you simply reflash it without wiping and the show goes on :D you can start it over from the original starting point.

I removed all the recommend files and set AutoKiller to the recommend settings. After a reboot and I can use Opera with multitasking. It's the first time I can close Opera and it stays in RAM.

Any more files which can me removed?:D

Thanks

Edit: It was only a one-time-wonder with Opera. Any explanations for it? AutoKiller reports me about 35-38 mb free RAM, I think Opera could stay there. Or are the AutoKiller settings to aggressive for it?

Edited by Ellia

Guest gusthy
I removed all the recommend files and set AutoKiller to the recommend settings. After a reboot and I can use Opera with multitasking. It's the first time I can close Opera and it stays in RAM.

Any more files which can me removed?:D

Thanks

Edit: It was only a one-time-wonder with Opera. Any explanations for it? AutoKiller reports me about 35-38 mb free RAM, I think Opera could stay there. Or are the AutoKiller settings to aggressive for it?

sure, it is autokiller, you should choose its values very carefully.

my settings are now 6/8/12/15/45/45, it mulrtitasks well.

yes, it is aurokillwr, you should choose the correct values. for me it is 6/8/12/15/45/45.

sure, it is autokiller, you should choose its values very carefully.

my settings are now 6/8/12/15/45/45, it mulrtitasks well.

yes, it is aurokillwr, you should choose the correct values. for me it is 6/8/12/15/45/45.

I've applied your values but multitasking with Opera isn't still working properly. I have only about 18-21mb free RAM, but I removed all recommend files and rebooted. If I remember right it isn't not more free RAM like before removing the files.

Guest gusthy
I've applied your values but multitasking with Opera isn't still working properly. I have only about 18-21mb free RAM, but I removed all recommend files and rebooted. If I remember right it isn't not more free RAM like before removing the files.

strange, I have around 35-48 nowadays.

probably start from scratch: reflash flb, before first boot remove files with adb then see, what happens...

I renamed the following:

debuggerd

port-bridge

2 things with Drm

After that I rebooted.

Have I anything forgotten? I reflashed FLB one day before. I'm using the latest kernel with tweak. Maybe this is the problem?

Guest gusthy
I renamed the following:

debuggerd

port-bridge

2 things with Drm

After that I rebooted.

Have I anything forgotten? I reflashed FLB one day before. I'm using the latest kernel with tweak. Maybe this is the problem?

no, they are the mentioned filws.

if you say

ps

in a terminal either on the phone or via adb, you must not see them.

no, they are the mentioned filws.

if you say

ps

in a terminal either on the phone or via adb, you must not see them.

The services aren't definitely not started. It's possible that it's caused by the kernel tweak which holds the Launcher in the RAM? PS shows no suspect service.

Guest gusthy
The services aren't definitely not started. It's possible that it's caused by the kernel tweak which holds the Launcher in the RAM? PS shows no suspect service.

Maybe, dont know.

If you write PM, I can probably help thru skype or whatever.

I'm using the app Battery Indicator. It provides the battery charge as a number with percent in the status bar. OS Monitor tells me that this app uses 15MB. Is that possible? Can you recommend other app which provides this functionality with lower memory usage?

Edit: A process with K-9 Mail is running. But I deactivated the whole automatically synchronizing by K-9 Mail. Does anybody know how to avoid the K-9 process? I haven't started K9 after the last reboot.

OsMonitor tells me two LauncherPro processes. Is that a normal behavior?

Edited by Ellia

Guest gusthy
I'm using the app Battery Indicator. It provides the battery charge as a number with percent in the status bar. OS Monitor tells me that this app uses 15MB. Is that possible? Can you recommend other app which provides this functionality with lower memory usage?

Edit: A process with K-9 Mail is running. But I deactivated the whole automatically synchronizing by K-9 Mail. Does anybody know how to avoid the K-9 process? I haven't started K9 after the last reboot.

OsMonitor tells me two LauncherPro processes. Is that a normal behavior?

Battery Indicator uses 3-4 MB of memory. I don't know the memory impact os K-9, but I guess, it isn't small. I mentioned somewhere here the (payed) app called Autostarts, you can disable autostarting different apps like K-9 with that. Or probably it has an option in it ? I do not know.

Do you use lots of widgets? They use memory too.

Edited by gusthy