Removing unneeded things from 2.1

Guest gusthy

I'm using CalWidget, a Handcent icon and the android widget to disable wifi, bluetooth and so on. LauncherPro is set to 3 homescreens. In my opinion I don't use lots of widgets.

Guest gusthy
I'm using CalWidget, a Handcent icon and the android widget to disable wifi, bluetooth and so on. LauncherPro is set to 3 homescreens. In my opinion I don't use lots of widgets.

Well, you can see how much memory they use with e.g. Advanced Task Killer.

I think the best way to achive the optimum is to remove them all + Battery Indicator + whatever you run, then start playing with different things and their memory usages.

By the way, since then I removed Btspp.apk, if I don't have bluetooth features, why to keep it? It just uses RAM and internal disk.

Guest meinnit

I've started to notice that memory isn't being freed up by some of the Android processes. After a reboot I have approx 40MB RAM free (only core Android processes running) however this lowers to around 30MB (again with only core Android processes running) after a few days. I will keep an eye on this and try and note which processes are not freeing up memory.

Will report back later.

Guest gusthy
I've started to notice that memory isn't being freed up by some of the Android processes. After a reboot I have approx 40MB RAM free (only core Android processes running) however this lowers to around 30MB (again with only core Android processes running) after a few days. I will keep an eye on this and try and note which processes are not freeing up memory.

Will report back later.

Sure, I realized it too.

Looking around the information about 2.1, it seems that there are various reasons for 2.1 leaking memory.

Guest meinnit
Sure, I realized it too.

Looking around the information about 2.1, it seems that there are various reasons for 2.1 leaking memory.

Thanks for the confirmation :D Might be an idea to reboot daily to avoid these issues.

Guest gusthy
Thanks for the confirmation :D Might be an idea to reboot daily to avoid these issues.

sure, thats what i do: )))

Meanwhile I changed autokiller to 6/8/10/10/45/45, it seems to wap 4-5 apps without significant slowdown.

And since I am not a bluetooth user, I removed btspp.apk, it had no effect and seems more responsive

I am considering building a ROM called Minimal-Pulse.

Guest meinnit

You should probably provide a guide as most people will use fib's ROM.

I purchased Autostarts from the Market and it seems that both Messaging AND Handcent are launched on 'SMS Received'. Is Messaging really needed if using Handcent? That means 2 processes are launched every time an SMS is received so it's even more likely that the phone will run out of memory. Anyone tried disabling?

Also anyone know what these 3 processes are?

com.android.providers.downloads.DownloadReceiver

com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver

com.google.android.apps.uploader.common.Connectivity.BroadcastReceiver

Guest gusthy
You should probably provide a guide as most people will use fib's ROM.

I purchased Autostarts from the Market and it seems that both Messaging AND Handcent are launched on 'SMS Received'. Is Messaging really needed if using Handcent? That means 2 processes are launched every time an SMS is received so it's even more likely that the phone will run out of memory. Anyone tried disabling?

Also anyone know what these 3 processes are?

com.android.providers.downloads.DownloadReceiver

com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver

com.google.android.apps.uploader.common.Connectivity.BroadcastReceiver

no, it is not neccessary, but you can try it simply by turning Messaging off.

I don't know what this processes are, I will look after them.

Ok, maybe a patch to FLB will do.

sure, thats what i do: )))

Meanwhile I changed autokiller to 6/8/10/10/45/45, it seems to wap 4-5 apps without significant slowdown.

And since I am not a bluetooth user, I removed btspp.apk, it had no effect and seems more responsive

How much more free RAM do you have after removing bluetooth functionality? Removing bluetooth is really hard, but if it helps...

Guest gusthy
How much more free RAM do you have after removing bluetooth functionality? Removing bluetooth is really hard, but if it helps...

I cannot tell how much was the bluetooth - altogether removing BT syncing, debugging and PC sync resulted that after boot I have 51 MB of free RAM (FLB-1.4.1 with stock launcher and no widgets), and this falls down to 48 megs very quickly, then to around 38-45 megs after a day of usage.

Guest meinnit
I cannot tell how much was the bluetooth - altogether removing BT syncing, debugging and PC sync resulted that after boot I have 51 MB of free RAM (FLB-1.4.1 with stock launcher and no widgets), and this falls down to 48 megs very quickly, then to around 38-45 megs after a day of usage.

PC Sync process only launches when connected via USB right?

Guest gusthy
PC Sync process only launches when connected via USB right?

Unfortunately no :huh:

If you look at the running tasks, you see sfp very often

Edited by gusthy

Can you provide a flashable zip for the stock launcher? After flashing this, the second acore process is closed? How much of free ROM will the default launcher gives to me? I don't need a exact value, only an estimated value.

Hello!

I killed Google apps and others from the phone (I was looking for the minimum for me),

in /system/app I renamed:

AccountAndSyncSettigs.apk

Browser.apk

DownloadProvider.apk (there is no need for Opera Mini and xScope browser, but need for built in browser)

DrmPovider.apk

Email.apk

GenieWidget.apk

GlobalSearch.apk

Gmail*.apk

Google*.apk

gtalkservice.apk

LatinIME.apk

LiveWallpapersPicker.apk

MarketUpdater.apk

MediaUploader.apk

My*.apk

PhotoAlbumWidget.apk

PicoTts.apk

Stk.apk

Talk*.apk

Term.apk

TtsService.apk

UserDictionaryProvider.apk

Vending.apk

I use FLB 1.4.1, StockLauncher, and after reboot, and kill everything.

I have 50-52 MB memory.

In 5 seconds start keyboard (touchpal or other) -> go down to 48 MB.

And after start Settings, so the operating memory start from 45 MB.

After start message handler, when I see a message, I get 40 MB.

That is my base memory level.

When I used the phone half a day, and then I kill all whith a task manager (ATK or others), and/or

make QuickBoost whith MemoryBooster, get more memory, but not the all,

I get 40-48 MB (instead of the 50-52 MB). Memory leaks somewhere :-(

When I connect the phone to the PC (with USB), and I mount the SD to the PC (I use like a pen drive),

and then I remount the SD to the phone, and I disconnect from the PC, and after kill all apps,

the memory max goes to 28-30 MB! The "SD remount to the phone" ate 15 MB, that leaks somewhere!!! :-(

If then I kill the Launcher, in most cases I get the "full" 50-52 MB memory.

If not, I kill the Phone app too, and I type the PIN.

Occasionally I must make a reboot.

With Autokiller set 6,8,10,10,45,45 I can run for example Opera mini, a mail client, google map, a file manager,

and the message handler together (with apps, whose starting I can not prevent),

but in this case the free memory reduced to 12-15 MB, this is already very small.

With at least 20-25 MB free memory the phone very fast, and works without ad hoc FC and slow-down :-)

What is the benefit of renaming apps like the default browser? The browser doesn't start and use RAM if you don't want it?!?

By the way, gtalkservice.apk is need to download apps from the market, isn't it?

Edited by Ellia

Guest agitate
When I connect the phone to the PC (with USB), and I mount the SD to the PC (I use like a pen drive),

and then I remount the SD to the phone, and I disconnect from the PC, and after kill all apps,

the memory max goes to 28-30 MB! The "SD remount to the phone" ate 15 MB, that leaks somewhere!!! :-(

That fits in with my experience the other day. I wondered what had caused the leak. I don't often plug the phone into my computer (not for file transfers at least) but I had a huge file to transfer and it was quicker than doing it via wi-fi. My free memory (after a kill all) had gone from 40MB to 28MB. Thanks for the confirmation. Not a huge inconvenience but I'll remember to check next time and reboot after I'm finished. I can't find anything on the Android "issues" list, so it may be caused by a Huawei specific driver.

What is the benefit of renaming apps like the default browser? The browser doesn't start and use RAM if you don't want it?!?

By the way, gtalkservice.apk is need to download apps from the market, isn't it?

I don't use it, so, I do not want to see in the menu, that's all :huh:

I kill all Google apps, so I renamed the Market (Vending.apk) also.

This is an experiment for me, but I can live without Google, maybe I leave so. When I need very much something from the Market, what I can not find elsewhere, there is a way using Market in android emulator ;)

Guest gusthy
I don't use it, so, I do not want to see in the menu, that's all :huh:

I kill all Google apps, so I renamed the Market (Vending.apk) also.

This is an experiment for me, but I can live without Google, maybe I leave so. When I need very much something from the Market, what I can not find elsewhere, there is a way using Market in android emulator ;)

It is an other point, but it seems that for memory reasons it doesnt really help, and even maybe it causes something wrong.

With removing sync*, debuggerd, port-bridge, Drm*, *Tts*, SFP, and stopping things with Autostarts it is stable and memory leak stops at 35-42 MB. Maybe this is the theoretical maximum? It would be nice to win other 5-10MB.

BTW, Market eats a lot of memory and it seems that it leaks too, after running Market it is hard to return back to normal, cca. 40 MB.

Tts is used for text-to-speech? After renaming this I can't use this functionality? I went back to the stock launcher and will have a look how much free RAM I get.

Guest Basher52
With removing sync*, debuggerd, port-bridge, Drm*, *Tts*, SFP, and stopping things with Autostarts it is stable and memory leak stops at 35-42 MB. Maybe this is the theoretical maximum? It would be nice to win other 5-10MB.

Could be true!

As we know, 64MB out of 192MB are reserved for Kernel and staff like that, we cant acess. From the leaving 128 Megabytes, ~64 mb are used for running, visible processes. The rest is used for services, driver an so on.

Without Kernelsource, i think we cant change this.

It is an other point, but it seems that for memory reasons it doesnt really help, and even maybe it causes something wrong.

BTW, Market eats a lot of memory and it seems that it leaks too, after running Market it is hard to return back to normal, cca. 40 MB.

It is also seems very stable, but I can not use apps, what needs Google account, and I tests it continuously :huh:

My experience was that, if I don't setup any Google account, the Gmail app starts periodically, and gtalkservice also.

So I was angry, and I turned off all Google applications ;)

The next step is Your changes in /system/bin. I do that, and I reported back to...

Guest gusthy
It is also seems very stable, but I can not use apps, what needs Google account, and I tests it continuously :huh:

My experience was that, if I don't setup any Google account, the Gmail app starts periodically, and gtalkservice also.

So I was angry, and I turned off all Google applications ;)

The next step is Your changes in /system/bin. I do that, and I reported back to...

hmmm, i look fwd for your teport....

Anybody knows for which gapps is responsible? If I remove *tts* files is TTS completely disabled or TTS just launched when they are needed and not with system boot?

Guest gusthy
Anybody knows for which gapps is responsible? If I remove *tts* files is TTS completely disabled or TTS just launched when they are needed and not with system boot?

gapps is google apps. I don't know too much about TTS, since in Hungary Google Navigation is not available.

Guest gusthy

just a funny result of today: suddenly I realized that my pulse runs 7 apps + keyboard + advanced task killer: gmail, opera, messaging, aep reader, market, a z-machine and droidbox.

I switched the LatinIME.apk from stock to the one from G1 eclair, it seems to be a bit different, but I have to test the difference.