Official: HTC rolling out Android 2.2, 720p video, iTunes sync to unlocked Euro Desires this weekend

Guest manicyaz

Guest CaspaTheGhost
I have a originally Orange branded handset. I made it generic (not rooted) and a little while back performed the OTA update to 1.21.405.2 but I was one of the unlucky ones to get the wrong radio version as the handset was still locked to Orange. I lost wifi!!

I then unlocked the handset via one of the HTC unlock code sites and my handset is now generic and unlocked as far as network is concerned.

My question is, should I be able to install the OTA update if it is offered to me, without any issues??

Regards

David

Should be cool.... in theory... :(

Guest ianm2k4
Should be cool.... in theory... :(

OK how about this..

I have/had a branded Orange UK, I rooted it put on r5 and the recommended radio and all works well. Could I put on the generic rom with the same radio and expect it to upgrade ok?

Suppose a Nand backup would allow me to go back if it fails?

Edited by ianm2k4

Guest klutsh

If the leaked 2.2 is anything to go by the update will have a new HBOOT

unrooting and accepting the OTA you risk the chance of NEVER rooting again.

Guest Mr.r9
If the leaked 2.2 is anything to go by the update will have a new HBOOT

unrooting and accepting the OTA you risk the chance of NEVER rooting again.

Noobs pay attention. Modaco/XDA doesn't need 20000 threads asking how to unbrick/root/unroot/upgrade...etc.

Guest iceatcs

Been there before, so I won't believe it will coming this weekend.

Even their words or official PR won't do to me. Blame HTC for muck up around so many times.

At least I stick with my r6.

Guest hazi1964
Noobs pay attention. Modaco/XDA doesn't need 20000 threads asking how to unbrick/root/unroot/upgrade...etc.

Hazi pays very close attention to this and decides to wait for a hacked update :-)

Alison

Guest StuMcBill
Thanks, I think i'll risk it if I get it OTA then :-)

Just remember that you may NEVER be able to root in the future if you apply the OTA.

I know you have not rooted just now, but I think updating your HBOOT would be a bad idea anyway!

Any luck yet? Anyone?

Apparently no one got it yet. :( but its guaranteed that every one has been abusing this check for update button since 0:01 today. LOL

Looks like its gonna be a long weekend for euro desire owners :(

Guest skinnypupp

I wonder if they base the update on IP, and thus they may not send the update to me here in Hong Kong. We shall see I guess!

Guest shotten99
Believe me, I don't want to start a flame war. All I'm after is reliable information.

This post has been seen on XDA; http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=740037

Does anyone care to comment on the validity of this post?

It's 100% valid.

The thought crossed my mind to unroot, too.

The downside could be pretty severe- that means a smaller chance of getting 3.0 or later version for a handset that will likely be able to function with future versions.

Guest Arthur Hucksake

Oh christ, I dread to think. XDA is going to be a forum of cluster-fail after this weekend.

I really wish people would do their homework, it's common sense.

Guest loney01843

im wondering how the itunes sync is going to work. hopefully the desire would show up up like an apple device would and you will be able to transfer playlists over directly.

i have a lot of friends who have iphones who laugh at the desires lack of itunes style music sync software support.

so they can put this in their crackpipe and smoke it! :(

oh yeah, wont apple have a big problem with this because it pretty much kills one of their biggest selling points. easy music sync.

discuss!

Guest mrshark
im wondering how the itunes sync is going to work. hopefully the desire would show up up like an apple device would and you will be able to transfer playlists over directly.

i have a lot of friends who have iphones who laugh at the desires lack of itunes style music sync software support.

so they can put this in their crackpipe and smoke it! :(

oh yeah, wont apple have a big problem with this because it pretty much kills one of their biggest selling points. easy music sync.

discuss!

sure apple will kill this feature with a future update, as it did with palm pre sync... solution: use a previous version of itunes :-)

Guest merlin051

I have an orange branded desire thats been de-branded using the goldcard method, currently on 1.15.405.4 am i going to need to update to 1.21.405.2 before i can install 2.2 if it ever becomes OTA ?

The reason i stayed on 1.15 was because of all the issues other people had with the orange radio stack and loosing wifi/3g after de-branding.

Guest loney01843
sure apple will kill this feature with a future update, as it did with palm pre sync... solution: use a previous version of itunes :-)

good solution. every new version of itunes seems slower anyway. apple seem put more junk each new version and it cripples my pc. :(

anyway, back on topic, im very much looking forward to a full rooted version of this update. the evo froyo update contains fixes which improves fps on the 720 camcorder.

I sure hope that the desire will be getting the same treatment.

by the by, has anyone used this app share widget that htc is supposedly porting to desire. apparently its from the wildfire. i tried a google search but im still unsure as to what it actually does and the benefits of it.

Guest skinnypupp

Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date

:(

Guest merlin051
good solution. every new version of itunes seems slower anyway. apple seem put more junk each new version and it cripples my pc. :(

anyway, back on topic, im very much looking forward to a full rooted version of this update. the evo froyo update contains fixes which improves fps on the 720 camcorder.

I sure hope that the desire will be getting the same treatment.

by the by, has anyone used this app share widget that htc is supposedly porting to desire. apparently its from the wildfire. i tried a google search but im still unsure as to what it actually does and the benefits of it.

I read that it just sends a link to download from the marketplace so not a true 'app share'

Guest shotten99
Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date Your phone is up to date

:(

Haha, I sympathize 100%:(