FROYO UPDATE PROBLEM (BOOT LOOP / WRONG RADIO))

Guest LUTRAM

Guest JinkzUK

Do they have a tendency to pack in? Because i've been using it for some time to install custom roms/radios etc. and it's worked all that time?

Guest sniper3359
AT LASSTTT :) I have somehow managed to root my phone once again. It all works great wireless etc pheewwww.

Now I can start the UN-Rooting process again and get the OTA update WITH THE GOLD CARD INSERTED !

My Desire Software details are now:-

Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Baseband version: 32.36.0.28U_4.06.00.02_2

Kernal version: 2.6.29-82821fb5 htc-kernal@and18-2#1

Build number: 1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys

Software number: 1.15.405.4

Browser version: Webkit 3.1

Many thanks for all the advice sofar guys. Can I ask for advice on how best to Un-Root for enable me to grab an HTC OTAU.

From what I have read the update will not install on a rooted handset.

(almost scared to do anything now its back and working, but shall not give up now.)

hi browners can u till me how did u fix it...have you done the OTA to get the froyo 2.2 and then ur device stop recognize ur SD card and the wifi stop working

can u till me in which way did root ur device Please

Edited by sniper3359

Guest sniper3359
It looks like your GoldCard is not working, insert card directly to pc and do a full format, insert back into phone and and follow procedure again for making a gold card, I used HXD to copy and paste gold card image on SD card while connected directly to Laptop (used the 4GB card that came with phone)

How to create a Gold Card

This guide explains how to create a Gold Card. A Gold Card is a special micro SD card which, when inserted into your device, allows you to flash RUU files with a different CID to your own device. For example, if you own a T-Mobile branded device, this will allow you to flash a generic HTC ROM.

Requirements

• Spare micro SD card (some memory cards don’t allow Hex Editing)

• Windows PC (recommended)

• ADB (part of the tools folder of the SDK included in the folder)

• HxD Hex Editor (included in the folder)

• Win RAR to decompress / extract / open files (not included visit www.rarlab.com)

Step by step instructions

• Insert the Micro SD card into your computer and Format it to ‘FAT32 format’.

• After it has been formatted, put the micro SD card into your phone and switch the phone on / boot up the device.

• On your phone go to (settings, applications, development) and turn on USB Debugging.

• Extract the Android SDK.Zip file (included in folder) to C:\AndroidSDK (name the new folder created 'AndroidSDK' in the C directory. (You will need an

unzip utility to do this, you will also need to manually type C:\AndroidSDK as the save location deleting the default save as option, this is important).

• Connect your phone to the computer using a USB Data Cable, your phone should say USB debugging at the top of the screen and will start installing the drivers (if not don’t worry at this stage, however you may need to double check all drivers are installed successfully if the procedure fails and repeat the above steps after restating your computer and your phone).

• Open the start search menu on your computer and type CMD and then press enter (this will open the command prompt).

• At the command promt type cd\ and press enter

• Then type cd AndroidSDK\tools\ and press enter

• Then type adb devices and press enter (you should see a serial number; this is the serial number of your phone and means you are ready to proceed). (If you don’t see a serial number it means your drivers have not installed and you need to restart your computer and phone and repeat the steps above).

• Now type adb shell and press enter.

• Then type cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid and press enter. You should get a very long number which looks like this: 532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402. Make a note of this number!

• Visit http://hexrev.soaa.me/ paste in the long number and click submit, you will receive a new code number generated, make a note of this number.

• Visit http://revskills.de/pages/goldcard.html enter your new generated code number and create your gold card image, which will be e-mailed to you (follow all on screen instructions).

• Check your email and save your Gold Card file to your desktop.

• Install and open the HxD hex editor (included in the folder). If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you must run or open the application as administrator.

• Go to the 'Extra' menu in Hex editor and select 'Open Disk'. Under physical disk, select Removable Disk (your micro SD card), uncheck 'Open as Read only' and click OK. Note that you should select physical disk NOT the logical disk. This is very important!

hi LUTRAM thanks that u reply to my post.. will i done the gold card many time similar as the way u wrote it but in the step that say:

• Go to the 'Extra' menu in Hex editor and select 'Open Disk'. Under physical disk, select Removable Disk (your micro SD card), uncheck 'Open as Read only' and click OK. Note that you should select physical disk NOT the logical disk. This is very important!

i can not see my micro SD card in the Removable Disk becouse as i say before the phone can not recognize the SD card...so the way i done is by insert the SD card to my computer and do it in that way...i thought it will work becouse i can not do it while the SD card in my phone....before when i flash my phone with other ROMs i can see my SD card under (physical disk, select Removable Disk) but now its not appear at all....is there is any other way as i say bfore.. i also done ((update.zip)) but this wont work becouse i think there is some thing rong between the phone and the SD card

by the way when i boot my device in the notification bar there is a SD card icon with exclamation mark i cant get to the notfication bar on top when i try

the phone frozen.

Edited by sniper3359

Guest LUTRAM
Also do you think I can run it through Unrevoked 3.1 instead of going through the gold card options once I get to to rom 2.1 again?

Not sure! if your HBOOT has changed to latest it may not work

Turn off your device, then turn it back on with the 'back' key held. On the second line in green text you will see HBOOT version

Give it a try and post your results and HBOOT version as it may help others who are still having problems

Guest LUTRAM
hi LUTRAM thanks that u reply to my post.. will i done the gold card many time similar as the way u wrote it but in the step that say:

i can not see my micro SD card in the Removable Disk becouse as i say before the phone can not recognize the SD card...so the way i done is by insert the SD card to my computer and do it in that way...i thought it will work becouse i can not do it while the SD card in my phone....before when i flash my phone with other ROMs i can see my SD card under (physical disk, select Removable Disk) but now its not appear at all....is there is any other way as i say bfore.. i also done ((update.zip)) but this wont work becouse i think there is some thing rong between the phone and the SD card

by the way when i boot my device in the notification bar there is a SD card icon with exclamation mark i cant get to the notfication bar on top when i try

the phone frozen.

One of the problems of this bootloop issue (usb broke, sd card broke, wifi broke etc..) remove sd card and put sd card directly in pc and use hxd there to edit it, insert back into phone, turn on debuging, run RUU 2.1, then update to 2.2 (make sure to do full wipe in recovery and leave GOLDCARD in till its complete and done its reboots)

Edited by LUTRAM

Guest JinkzUK

HBOOT version is 80. I'm pretty sure I tried a similar version of going through Unrevoked and it stalled the update install and threw out the clockworkmod screen. Ah it's all good fun :)

Guest sniper3359
One of the problems of this bootloop issue (usb broke, sd card broke, wifi broke etc..) remove sd card and put sd card directly in pc and use hxd there to edit it, insert back into phone, turn on debuging, run RUU 2.1, then update to 2.2 (make sure to do full wipe in recovery and leave GOLDCARD in till its complete and done its reboots)

i done that just now but no luck....not working stoped in Error [140]

71034575.png

i really dont know why just my phone, i just bought other 8GB SD class 6from amzone now and i called HTC technical support they say we never had this problem before...

i think i am still under warranty because i didnt root my phone at all just change the T-mobile ROM to other one to get OTA quickly that's all...they told me

we will contact you within 2 days

is there is any other way guys...is there is any way to get to safe mode like windows....i just try to let the SD card work...if thats happen the rest is easy...

Edited by sniper3359

Guest JinkzUK

With the above, just try another RUU, you should have a couple to choose from and one will work for you. If all else fails go back to the branded one that always works.

Guest chessmaster82
All working..It was done by downgrading to 2.1 and then updating again. this is what I did..

1. Downloaded RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.15.405.4_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_122704.exe from http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/

2. Put the goldcard in the phone. Leave the sim card in (my sim is on 3UK).

3. Connect the phone to the PC and select HTC sync option.

4. If the phone is rebooting every 2-3 minutes like mine was, you gonna have to wait for error message to pop up. Press force stop and run the file downloaded in Step 1.

5. You gonna have to be careful that the phone does not turn off during the flashing process. What I did was connected the phone, ran the exe from step 1 and went upto the screen where it says that the current rom (2.09.408.8) will be flashed to 1.15.405.4. Now do not select update yet. Wait for the phone to turn off due to rebooting issue. When the phone is on again, select update on the RUU and the phone screen will go blank. At this point you dont have to worry about it going off.

6. When the update is finished the phone will reboot and it will have 2.1 ready to use.

7. Then go to Settings->About phone->System software updates->Check now.

8. This will update the rom to 1.21.405.2

9. When the phone is updated, repeat step 7 and update the phone to Froyo 2.2.

10. After the phone reboots, turn it off manually once.

11. You can now replace the goldcard with you normal sd card.

Enjoy!!

I tried this but got the "Error [131]: Customer ID Error" Message :)

Any ideas?

Guest chessmaster82
Orange UK Debranded and unlocked.

OK so heres a Different solution...

after the OTA Failed and I got the 1-100% count with errors and no radio. I did the following to fix:

*use at your own risk*

I think I already had the WWE_1.21.405.2 with 4.06 radio

so did not bother with the RUU a second time, just downloaded:

http://liveimage.htc.com/OTA_Bravo_Froyo_H...bcrut4wrv30.zip

renamed as update.zip copied onto gold card

put gold card in phone

rebooted holding back

selected bootloader then recovery

pressued up and power to get menu

selected Load update.zip

at end of update (when prompted) rebooted from menu.

waited while green update screen showed.

phone rebooted itself

came back up with no signal upon unlock it did the 1-100% count took a while but no errors this time.

eventually it displayed a sucsessful update message and all is hunky dory.

now shows as:

Android 2.2

Baseband Version 32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20

replaced my usual card.

seems to have kept all my settings and data.

So maybe No need to reset/wipe and no need for the RUU.

*use at your own risk*

P.

Tried this but the 1-100% count doesnt complete and has errors i.e. force close, rebooted and tried a coup-le of times which left me with the broken froyo 2.2

Any more ideas?

Guest chessmaster82
Tried this but the 1-100% count doesnt complete and has errors i.e. force close, rebooted and tried a coup-le of times which left me with the broken froyo 2.2

Any more ideas?

Im thinking the problem lies with my goldcard, even though I have tried two different cards now but both CID have almost 50% of zeros (00A600D117E949000000000000000000)in them which I dont think is right.

Is there a way I can create a goldcard without my device? Im thinking my device wont let me create working goldcards anymore...

I might be able to borrow someones HTC, if I do ill create a new goldcard with there device, but for now im completly screwed!

Guest JinkzUK
i done that just now but no luck....not working stoped in Error [140]

71034575.png

i really dont know why just my phone, i just bought other 8GB SD class 6from amzone now and i called HTC technical support they say we never had this problem before...

i think i am still under warranty because i didnt root my phone at all just change the T-mobile ROM to other one to get OTA quickly that's all...they told me

we will contact you within 2 days

is there is any other way guys...is there is any way to get to safe mode like windows....i just try to let the SD card work...if thats happen the rest is easy...

Try this matey, helped me no end!!

"Worked perfectly for me up until the update installer rebooted the phone into the bootloader. At this point, it hung with a "Waiting for bootloader" message while the phone stayed at a dark screen with the HTC logo. Disconnecting the USB cable dropped me into the Android bootloader (a white screen with some skateboarding robots and tiny text).

I tried a few different things to try and get it working again, but the one which finally seemed to have an effect for me was the following:

Make sure the phone is powered on and plugged into the PC (if it's hung at the bootloader, reboot it by removing the battery).

Open a command window and navigate to the tools directory of the Android SDK (I unzipped it to C:\AndroidSDK, so this would be C:\AndroidSDK\tools ).

Type 'adb devices' to check that USB debugging is enabled and the phone is recognised. Now type 'adb reboot bootloader' to manually reboot the device into the bootloader - it should show a white screen with skating androids and some text.

Once this screen is showing, run the HTC updater. It will reboot the phone again itself, but in my case, the phone managed to get past the initial bootloader and begin flashing the phone."

Guest JinkzUK

I did it!! Was a piece of piss!! If anyone needs any help, it's VERY simple, please drop me a PM.

A big THANK YOU to LUTRAM for helping me with this one, he's been very helpful, if he says something, do listen, he knows his stuff.

Edited by JinkzUK

Guest Romantikk

This is the most informative thread. Thanks for all contributions! However...

I still have a problem. Debranded Orange Desire. Bootloader 0.80. Until Monday all was OK. Then downloaded OTA FroYo over wifi. From there on the phone is in reboot cycle. When creating a goldcard I seem to successfully get the first long number using SDK tool command with my crippled Desire (between the boots), then get the second number off one web site, order and receive the goldcard.img off the other. After I write this image to the card (using my Nokia E71 as a card reader) the card becomes unreadable. Everything goes without any errors. The goldcard.img that I get begins with lots of zeroes, quite different from the portion of disk that I am replacing. So, I don't have the goldcard.

I wonder if my Desire reports the wrong long number tp SDK which leads to creation of the wrong goldcard.img?

Or my Nokia is not the right card reader/writer? But... no errors.

Or two of my cards that I tried (2GB Nokia which came with E71 and 4GB Sandisk) are not of the right type? I read somewhere that goldcard should be class 4 or class 6. If it is not the "long number" is just wrong? How do I check the class of the microSD?

Is any goldcard unique to a combination of a specific phone and specific card or I can borrow one from a friend? Can I get the "long number" on someone else's Desire and then create a goldcard for mine?

When I use a good FAT32 *non-goldcard* in the crippled Desire it can't see it in FroYo (SD: Available Space: unavailable, etc.) but I can still read update.zip in recovery/bootloader. However, using this way and updating to FroYo (OTA_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8-1.21.405.2_release4dua3bcrut4wrv30.zip) finishes fine but gives the same reboot cycle. I can't read my goldcard in recovery either. If I could have a suitable OTA in zip I guess I could use recovery and non-goldcard to downgrade? Please help me with links to OTA images? http://liveimage.htc.com//OTA_Bravo_HTC_WW...mtp6zggcyon.zip (only 27MB?) this one fails, saying update.zip is broken or something like that.

I am quite new to Android / Desire but OK with computers...

I am stuck! help please!

Guest LUTRAM

For those of you having problems making goldcard try this alternative method and post your results to help others

http://www.woofiles.com/dl-202249-z0idtl52-GoldCardTool.zipx

or

http://www.woofiles.com/dl-202257-uv7wFkt7-GoldCardTool.rar

Use the tool to get your CID number in the middle of a bootloop and then use HXD to make gold card (connecting your card directly to the computer)

Note: goldcard tool will not fully work while in a bootloop but it will get you the number you need to create a gold card, you may have to try several times and start the process early before the phone reboots

Edited by LUTRAM

Guest Romantikk
GoldCardTool.zipx

God Bless zipx format! Sorry for this not very informative post. Will sort out zipx tomorrow, can't do it on a laptop at home. Was reading elsewhere that the problem could be in my card reader, Nokia E71, as someone else was having the same issue with N95. micro card reader, SD - microSD and two new "class 4" cards are on their way. Just to be sure...

Guest Romantikk
.rar

I've just realised I won't be able to use this Gold Card Tool as it assumes a good working Desire (Disk Storage Mode etc.) Mine - doesn't see the card when fully booted into crippled 2.2, hence - won't show the card to the PC so Gold Card Tool won't be able to "Patch MMC".

In my situation, the SDK tool returns the long number - that proves there's a phone and the card on the other end of the USB cable and also that Android drivers are installed properly. With Hex editor I can see Physical Removable Disk and copy-paste between the .img file and the disk. Then, when I remove the card and insert it back into PC it won't read. Nokia E71 won't read the card saying its either encrypted or corrupted. So, it's either the card reader or the card. right?

So, waiting for the microSD to USB adapter and the new card to arrive. Still blaming E71 for being a bad card reader.

Guest Romantikk

Finally! :)

So, my experience:

De-branded from Orange and unlocked Desire. Running 2.1. Bootloader 0.80. Updated over WiFi with 2.2. Entered reboot cycle with "process system not responding, kill or wait" error. No Sim, no SD, no wifi.

1. Created the goldcard. Following these instructions:

hxxp://nimbu.amorvi.com/2010/05/how-to-create-a-goldcard/ (thanks guys!)

Note: the phone is in reboot cycle but still gives you several minutes between the reboots and still responds on USB. So, the SDK's "adb shell cat ..." command worked and showed me the long number. Need to have working android drivers from HTC Sync (didn't work in Windows 7 64 bit, worked in 32bit XP). Need to switch to HTC Sync mode in Desire when connected to usb.

2. Renamed this file to update.zip and copied to the root folder of the goldcard:

hxxp://liveimage.htc.com/OTA_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8-1.21.405.2_release4dua3bcrut4wrv30.zip

3. Bootloader -> Recovery -> update from /sdcard/update.zip.

Done.

Note 1. I didn't "downgrade". Went straight from crippled FroYo to good FroYo with the above sequence.

Note 2. Initially I used Nokia E71 as a card reader to create the goldcard. MISTAKE! In HxDen in the area 000-170 of the physical Removable disk (see goldcard instructions) Nokia was showing me the wrong area of the disk. I was replacing the wrong data with goldcard.img! The card was unreadable after that (Initially I thought this is how a goldcard should be). Nokia is too clever! When I used a new tiny Sandisk microSD to USB adapter I saw (in HxDen) a different code in 000-170 on the card. And that Goldcard worked. How to recognise the problem: the correct 000-170 area before the patch should look (in HxDen) almost filled with zeroes. The one I saw via Nokia was full of characters, full of some data. The goldcard.img file looks similar, with lots of zeroes, and has some code in the middle. If you can't read your goldcard in the card reader on your PC - it's not a goldcard, change your card reader!

Many thanks to all contributors, I learned a lot from you!

Guest JinkzUK

A working gold card is the most important part in my experience, in the tuts read every single last word and follow it to the T.

The gold card is not tied down to a specific device once it's formatted to FAT32, and in theory any card will work if it's been prepped right.

Edited by JinkzUK

Guest JinkzUK
This is the most informative thread. Thanks for all contributions! However...

I still have a problem. Debranded Orange Desire. Bootloader 0.80. Until Monday all was OK. Then downloaded OTA FroYo over wifi. From there on the phone is in reboot cycle. When creating a goldcard I seem to successfully get the first long number using SDK tool command with my crippled Desire (between the boots), then get the second number off one web site, order and receive the goldcard.img off the other. After I write this image to the card (using my Nokia E71 as a card reader) the card becomes unreadable. Everything goes without any errors. The goldcard.img that I get begins with lots of zeroes, quite different from the portion of disk that I am replacing. So, I don't have the goldcard.

I wonder if my Desire reports the wrong long number tp SDK which leads to creation of the wrong goldcard.img?

Or my Nokia is not the right card reader/writer? But... no errors.

Or two of my cards that I tried (2GB Nokia which came with E71 and 4GB Sandisk) are not of the right type? I read somewhere that goldcard should be class 4 or class 6. If it is not the "long number" is just wrong? How do I check the class of the microSD?

Is any goldcard unique to a combination of a specific phone and specific card or I can borrow one from a friend? Can I get the "long number" on someone else's Desire and then create a goldcard for mine?

When I use a good FAT32 *non-goldcard* in the crippled Desire it can't see it in FroYo (SD: Available Space: unavailable, etc.) but I can still read update.zip in recovery/bootloader. However, using this way and updating to FroYo (OTA_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8-1.21.405.2_release4dua3bcrut4wrv30.zip) finishes fine but gives the same reboot cycle. I can't read my goldcard in recovery either. If I could have a suitable OTA in zip I guess I could use recovery and non-goldcard to downgrade? Please help me with links to OTA images? http://liveimage.htc.com//OTA_Bravo_HTC_WW...mtp6zggcyon.zip (only 27MB?) this one fails, saying update.zip is broken or something like that.

I am quite new to Android / Desire but OK with computers...

I am stuck! help please!

Don't download the OTA update over your phone, download it online, rename to update.zip and load it through the recovery menu on boot from a 2.1 or lower ROM. If the goldcard is working, you won't get into a loop. If it isn't working, it will still update the phone, and bugger it up.

Note: You won't even need to do an erase/factory reset with this method.

Edited by JinkzUK

Guest erto90

So this guide will also works for ppl that wants to go back from official ota? i have fully working ota,but i want my device rooted!

you think applying your guide i can go back ( now i have hboot 0.92) and return to 2.1?

Guest LUTRAM
So this guide will also works for ppl that wants to go back from official ota? i have fully working ota,but i want my device rooted!

you think applying your guide i can go back ( now i have hboot 0.92) and return to 2.1?

No Way Back now your on latest Hboot - sit and wait for a Root for the latest Hboot

Guest erto90
No Way Back now your on latest Hboot - sit and wait for a Root for the latest Hboot

ah ok,thanks for explanation! i'll wait patiently,hoping that a root will come out