Goodbye Pulse :(

Guest Thomas55

Guest Speckles

I've been playing around with the Spica today. It seems that Samsung did a really good job of the kernel. It also has more memory so handles multi tasking far better than the Pulse

The Pulse has 128MB with 32MB of that reserved for drivers, so 96MB for the kernel and apps

The Spica has 152MB, with, according to utilities such as 'top', far less reserved by drivers.

I think the Pulse could have more memory available if you could rewrite the drivers, but that's simply not going to happen. I believe (read: no evidence) the drivers to be sloppily written.

Guest tgomas

IS missing calls and texts a widespread problem? I have never experienced it on any rom. For £7.50 a month with unlimited data, texts and 100 mins I am more than happy with my Pulse!

Guest JimJam707
The one I got for my mum is t-mobile.. I just flashed it with odin, after I sorted the drivers ofc :D

I got mine from T-Mobile. Flashed all the necessary stuff with Odin and then installed Samdroid Mod.

Love my phone :)

Guest Speckles
IS missing calls and texts a widespread problem? I have never experienced it on any rom. For £7.50 a month with unlimited data, texts and 100 mins I am more than happy with my Pulse!
The first person I've seen that actually took the unlimited texts booster :)

BTW, The "Unlimited" data is 3GB/month, which I'm sure you'll agree that you'll never reach.

Guest Evil Disco Guy

I finally gave in, sold the Pulse and picked up a Hero (well, G2 Touch). The day before T-Mobile released 2.1 as well, which was nice. I haven't even bothered installing a custom ROM because, even with the stock T-Mobile ROM, it's still so fast. Might try one of the Froyo ports when they mature (still a few little bugs, mainly camera related).

Guest feelmychi
I finally gave in, sold the Pulse and picked up a Hero (well, G2 Touch). The day before T-Mobile released 2.1 as well, which was nice. I haven't even bothered installing a custom ROM because, even with the stock T-Mobile ROM, it's still so fast. Might try one of the Froyo ports when they mature (still a few little bugs, mainly camera related).

how much did you get for the pulse, and how much extra did you have to put in to get the hero? Is the smaller screen size a problem?

feelmychi

Guest Epic-Emodude
I've been playing around with the Spica today. It seems that Samsung did a really good job of the kernel. It also has more memory so handles multi tasking far better than the Pulse

The Pulse has 128MB with 32MB of that reserved for drivers, so 96MB for the kernel and apps

The Spica has 152MB, with, according to utilities such as 'top', far less reserved by drivers.

I think the Pulse could have more memory available if you could rewrite the drivers, but that's simply not going to happen. I believe (read: no evidence) the drivers to be sloppily written.

If its going to help us that much wouldn't it be worth rewriting them even if it does take ages, but i'm probably going to have this phone for another 3 years. I mean once we've done a few it must get easier. It can only bring good and give us more possibilities for our phones =)

Guest Speckles

We don't have the source code to the kernel, never mind the drivers.

We don't have the specification or datasheets for all the parts.

and we certainly don't have the electrical schematic to see what talks to what and how and why.

So it's not going to take ages, it's simply not going to happen, like I posted above.

We could spend the next year trying to reverse engineer the drivers, but I think most people would have abandoned the Pulse by then (I'll be suprised if I have one by the end of my 24 month contract) and then you'll still need another year to write new ones.

Guest krfan

My previous (and also my very first) phone is the Samsung E690 (had it for a good 4-5 years, btw). Moving on to the Pulse is like a big leap lol. And to only own my Pulse for not more than 3 weeks and to come across this thread of how much the Pulse sucks, that's really demotivating LOL!!

But to pull in some statistics, since Android was released, it had 7 revisions in 2 years, with the latest being Froyo (released in May), and Gingerbread to be released in Q4 this year. 7 revisions in 2 years, i repeat. Well that's enough, at least for me, to keep my money in my pockets, until the exponential growth of Android slows down a little, which can take a couple of good few years.

Anyways, even if we were to wait, i don't think that'll hurt, considering that the handset market out there is competing hard to produce budget Android handsets, so if we could delay our purchase of our next Android handset, i'm gonna be sure that the next one we get is a much better one.

Back to where we are... i'm just gonna say that if you're getting a Froyo-capable phone soon, you'll be cursing when Gingerbread comes out. Or maybe if it will support Gingerbread, i'm pretty sure it won't support the future ''bakery-named'' versions :/

Guest Simon O
The first person I've seen that actually took the unlimited texts booster :P

BTW, The "Unlimited" data is 3GB/month, which I'm sure you'll agree that you'll never reach.

I have unlimited texts each month which I get if I top up at least £10 per month. Also got the 6month free internet so I don't even have to pay much more than £10 a month :P

The 3Gb limit amused me. I was told by T-Mobile staff in the store that it's 1Gb for PAYG customers. The Twitter staff confirmed this also and so did the telephone customer service. However my limit is actually 3Gb and no way I'm going to tell them about it :D

I only know this as I used all my limit last month and got a text saying I was almost at my 3Gb limit!

Funnily I bought my first Pulse second hand which was originally bought on a contract by somebody else. I cheekily tried to get the 6month internet but was rejected, so I contacted the T-Mobile team on Twitter who added the 6month to my account and refunded me all my web usage until that date. I guess when they checked the IMEI they saw it was a contract phone and not a PAYG :)

I've got a new Pulse now which again is second hand but originally on PAYG. Using my same number so I still have my free internet for the next 4 months. With 3Gb limit!

I love T-Mobile :D

Guest Simon O
But to pull in some statistics, since Android was released, it had 7 revisions in 2 years, with the latest being Froyo (released in May), and Gingerbread to be released in Q4 this year. 7 revisions in 2 years, i repeat. Well that's enough, at least for me, to keep my money in my pockets, until the exponential growth of Android slows down a little, which can take a couple of good few years.

Buy a phone from a decent manufacturer like HTC or Samsung and you'll definitely get a Froyo update and a Gingerbread update as long as the phone has a fast CPU and a decent amount of RAM.

In the UK the only two phones worth buying right now are the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S. At least until Motorola finally decide to bring the Droid X to the EU market.

Guest Speckles
The 3Gb limit amused me. I was told by T-Mobile staff in the store that it's 1Gb for PAYG customers. The Twitter staff confirmed this also and so did the telephone customer service. However my limit is actually 3Gb and no way I'm going to tell them about it :)
I heard that it was 1GB unless it's confirmed you have an Android-compatible phone, in which case it's 3GB (probably checked via IMEI). Some customer support staff say that the 3GB also requires a contract phone, and others say it doesn't matter.

Guest Azurren
Buy a phone from a decent manufacturer like HTC or Samsung and you'll definitely get a Froyo update and a Gingerbread update as long as the phone has a fast CPU and a decent amount of RAM.

In the UK the only two phones worth buying right now are the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S. At least until Motorola finally decide to bring the Droid X to the EU market.

The samsung galaxy s is going surprisingly cheap on ebay atm :D

If you want to get one off contract that is :)

Hopefully Samsung will support their flagship more than their other devices.. If their reputation proceeds them then the Galaxy S WILL NOT GET GINGERBREAD

Samsung just don't update their android devices.. Spica is the only one that ever got an update and that is because it was promised from before it was released. It still has buggs even now :D. No support whatsoever

Guest Simon O

If you want to get one off contract that is :)

I wonder how many of them are from the SamsungUK twitter where they gave away Galaxy S devices to people with iPhone 4s....

Guest arlindo.costa
I wonder how many of them are from the SamsungUK twitter where they gave away Galaxy S devices to people with iPhone 4s....

Saw the galaxy S yesterday... Awesome piece of hardware :)

Guest Rem1x

Having been tethored to my PC for a few days, downloading a fair bit.

I'm pretty damn sure I've went over that 3GB!

I used my friend's stock X10. The scrolling was jerky. It was not on my modded pulse. Go figure.

Guest Simon O
Having been tethored to my PC for a few days, downloading a fair bit.

I'm pretty damn sure I've went over that 3GB!

I used my friend's stock X10. The scrolling was jerky. It was not on my modded pulse. Go figure.

I hate the X10. My friend bought one and he's a fool. He only bought it because his last 3 phones were Sony Ericsson :s

Doesn't even have any custom roms yet, still stuck on Android 1.6 and it's got a horrible blue theme. And the root method is really overcomplicated.

Guest jonathonf

I cross-graded my Pulse to a Hero (the 3 refurb deal) and I have to say it makes a heck of a difference. Running 2.2 FroydVillain on the thing and it's so much more usable. The whole thing is faster, no doubt down to having a decent amount of memory - and this is despite the work that's been put in to get 2.1 on the Pulse! Seriously, if you guys (Bobo, Flibble et. al.) spent as long on the Hero we'd have 2.6.32 ported already.

The work you've put into the Pulse is amazing - it's just a shame the hardware is so limiting!

Guest Speckles

I've just received my Samsung Galaxy S and wow, like you say, it makes a hell of a difference. Everything is so snappy and responsive. Not a single crash or reboot yet, and I love (most of) the Samsung modifications to the 2.1 Android. Not having to worry about internal memory is a wonderful bonus.

So I'm also saying bye bye to the Pulse, but instead of selling it, it will be my replacement backup phone (my previous backup phone was a Orange SPV 500!).

The Pulse was a brilliant introduction to Android, but its now time to move on. I've just got to find a SGS forum, and there seems to be one on this very board :D

(Queue a hole amount of new learning to be done!)

Edited by Speckles

Guest Ashbeard

Got an HTC Wildfire here and the difference is embarrassing for the Pulse. On my Pulse the homescreen will reload often after opening just one webpage. The lag when inputting text leads to errors a lot. The lag in general means errors. A custom launcher is a must. Custom ROMs also helped until the USB port broke and I could only use stock ROMs from then on.

Guest JimJam707

If you want to get one off contract that is :D

Hopefully Samsung will support their flagship more than their other devices.. If their reputation proceeds them then the Galaxy S WILL NOT GET GINGERBREAD

Samsung just don't update their android devices.. Spica is the only one that ever got an update and that is because it was promised from before it was released. It still has buggs even now ;). No support whatsoever

The spica does still get new firmware updates.

http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/samsungandroidi5700.htm

Guest Azurren
The spica does still get new firmware updates.

http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/samsungandroidi5700.htm

Most of the new ones are just customizations for foreign carriers :D

Samsung have said that the spica won't get froyo.. Even though it is perfectly capable. The i7500 is stuck on 1.5/1.6 (Not sure on the exact firmware) even though it is capable of much much more.

Guest DanWilson
I cross-graded my Pulse to a Hero (the 3 refurb deal) and I have to say it makes a heck of a difference. Running 2.2 FroydVillain on the thing and it's so much more usable. The whole thing is faster, no doubt down to having a decent amount of memory - and this is despite the work that's been put in to get 2.1 on the Pulse! Seriously, if you guys (Bobo, Flibble et. al.) spent as long on the Hero we'd have 2.6.32 ported already.

The work you've put into the Pulse is amazing - it's just a shame the hardware is so limiting!

Link?

My Pulse is messed up so.. Yeah.

How much did it cost you?

Guest DanWilson
The lurve parties won't be anywhere near as good on the HTC forum :D

But trust me dude - if I got a Hero, I'd be asking Hero questions here. I love this place!

Pulse forum = My second home