03/August r2 - XXJP3 (Froyo) pre-rooted / insecure boot / ClockworkMod recovery for Odin

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest arunachalam

I got failed with odin.pl give small instructions for odin.what is to be checked,and what is to be unchecked.odin says cant open the com port Thank you.waiting for your reply.

Edited by Paul

Guest Mike Beecham
Any ETA?

Mate, he did well getting a rooted 2.2 firmware out so quickly..I wouldn't worry about pushing Paul on eta's..he'll get it done!

Guest bidboy

Installed this firmware last night & then installed Titanium which confirmed it was rooted. The firmware works fine but it has bugs. Just a reminder tp people not to format your sd card before installation or you will loose your Titanium backup. Videos played back using this firmware look bad, the blacks are gray & since I watch a lot of vids on the phone I am back on JM2. Also tried downloading some apps from the market & two out of three did not install successfully. Never had that problem with JM2.

Guest evil5826
No, almost certainly not!

I am looking to get hold of a captivate tho so I can see what's different...

P

Your stuff will work if you some how get ahold of the captivate kernel for 2.2. Without it the following happens:

•Home Button functions as Back button.

•Screen is rotated 90°. (Not a huge issue as there is a Notification button to disable rotate.)

•Speaker/Headphone logic seems reversed, will only play audio through speaker when headphones are plugged in.

•Proximity Sensor is not functioning.

Edited by evil5826

Guest seraphine

COM port usually means that kies is running. Exit it!

I got failed with odin.pl give small instructions for odin.what is to be checked,and what is to be unchecked.odin says cant open the com port Thank you.waiting for your reply.

Guest ascito
Installed this firmware last night & then installed Titanium which confirmed it was rooted. The firmware works fine but it has bugs. Just a reminder tp people not to format your sd card before installation or you will loose your Titanium backup. Videos played back using this firmware look bad, the blacks are gray & since I watch a lot of vids on the phone I am back on JM2. Also tried downloading some apps from the market & two out of three did not install successfully. Never had that problem with JM2.

About video, do you think it's only a video play back problem or it's a recording video too. Did you try to reproduce some video taken with SGS on some different support, like tv?

Guest miker71

this is great, downloading now, will flash later.

i am currently using non-root JP3 as my day-to-day ROM with no absolute showstoppers (read-only external sdcard bugs all there of course, but Air Disk gets around that)

been looking for a lazy person's JP3 root and Paul has supplied it, many thanks :-)

reason I now want root on JP3 is try this, noted from XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=370

I seem to have solved the so called buggy issues with my device using JP3.

All the issues look to arise from the use of JIT. Samsung have not done anything in these builds so far to optimise or stabilise JIT.

Withing the build.prop file i disabled JIT and changed the heap size down from 48 to 32mb.

After rebooting the device has been running smooth ever since, no more stalling while trying to do more than one thing at a time.

Well for those who want to change these in the prop file the setting are below.

dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast

the JIT being flaky is consistent with my experience on JP3 so hoping this helps stabilise (at the expense of raw performance) ...

Guest fredphoesh

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the ROM, Im gonna see If I can stay on Froyo from this one on...

Two main issues so far:

1/ Some apps that will not install, I have rebooted, tried again and again, but they always fail:

Google Sky Maps (which incidentally was working TERRIBLY with the SGS)

3D compass

SD Move (not sure if that will work with this rom anyway)

2/ Some apps are not visible in Market:

National Rail

What the Doodle

IQ challenge

all apps I have bought but now cannot retrieve. (there may be more)

I will carry on testing and report back.

Tx

Mark.

Guest fredphoesh

WOW

Loads of instability

Google Goggles FC before starting,

Lockscreen not working properly,

plenty of extremely long freezes/pauses

the process andoroid.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly

dolphin HD FC after browsing for a minute.

etc etc

ouch

Edited by fredphoesh

Guest sergmarin
I installed SD Move fine on this ROM... will fix the missing apps in my MCR release of this ROM.

P

It would be great to fix Wi-Fi tethering applcation in this ROM (not works)... It's one thing for me to not stay on this ROM :)

Guest SGalaxyS
Mate, he did well getting a rooted 2.2 firmware out so quickly..I wouldn't worry about pushing Paul on eta's..he'll get it done!

I asked that cuz I don't want to flash this and then do another flash with his rom when it get released.

I'm new to all this and I have a question, if I wanna install modaco rom, do I have to flash to this version first anyways?

I'm doing a JM2 version too. :)

Just managed to create this with an insecure bootloader (so adb push etc. works and adb shell is automatically root), which is very useful!

P

Guest RonnieSunde

Got this after flashing JP3, phone was using just fine without sim for about 10-12 hours, then I put the sim in because I wanted 3G, and it seemed to work for like 1 min as I was getting email, then after about 90 min I got the screenshot.. =)

post-724753-1280836181_thumb.jpg

Guest RonnieSunde
Got this after flashing JP3, phone was using just fine without sim for about 10-12 hours, then I put the sim in because I wanted 3G, and it seemed to work for like 1 min as I was getting email, then after about 90 min I got the screenshot.. =)

restarting the phone worked just fine, but I have upgraded to JM2 and I installed the root user update.zip... will see if I ever see this error screen again. =)

Guest sergmarin

Few days ago was the same with JP3. I rebooted phone and all was OK.

Updated with insecure boot image for pushing straight to system and to enable adb shell straight to superuser and now with clockworkmod recovery by Koush built in. :)

This is quite different to what has gone before, so feedback is welcome.

P

Guest Hubert76
Updated with insecure boot image for pushing straight to system and to enable adb shell straight to superuser and now with clockworkmod recovery by Koush built in. :)

This is quite different to what has gone before, so feedback is welcome.

P

Downloading now:)thanks Paul

Edited by Hubert76

Guest unfnknblvbl

so anyway, I managed to brick my phone by trying to apply the market fix script. Can somebody please upload the default JP3 build.prop file somewhere for me?