Not convinced about the benefits of rooting

Guest audio2u

Guest Albert Poon
Try download an app called "dual mount SD." Its very useful because it allowed both the phone and computer to access the sd card at the same time :)

I prefer FTPServer. After I installed it, I put USB connection to charge mode and silence it. (don't ask me again) Then I use normal FTP client to access my phone wirelessly, no need to unmount/mount SD Card hereafter. You can even access root directory in R/O mode.

The beauty is, I can put my phone to charge in my bedroom, while using my netbook to access my phone in toilet... LOL

Guest audio2u
I prefer FTPServer. After I installed it, I put USB connection to charge mode and silence it. (don't ask me again) Then I use normal FTP client to access my phone wirelessly, no need to unmount/mount SD Card hereafter. You can even access root directory in R/O mode.

Funny you should mention that, 'cause I use EStrongs file manager which also has a WAN option.

Might have to give that a try....

Another thing u can try as well, goto settings Applications->Manage Applications and select All tab and look for PC synchronization and clear data and clear defaults.

I will give that a try!

Also, when you baked your ROM did you select HTC Sync coz one of the Rom i download frm another forum didn't have HTC Sync so I never use to get prompt in the notfication bar.

Mmmm, good question. Not sure. Next time I'm in the kitchen, I will definitely be writing an ingredients list for future reference.

Thanks for the input!

Guest Albert Poon
Funny you should mention that, 'cause I use EStrongs file manager which also has a WAN option.

Might have to give that a try....

That makes your device an FTP client, which is different from turning your device to an FTP server.

Depends on your equipments and data connections, you may find both/either/neither useful to you.

Guest DiscoHero
And that's where the disillusionment began.

Rooting is not magical. It wont make your device better by just having root access. It may also take time to find the perfect ROM that works on your device. One should have a good reason for rooting.

Mine ... to get rid of Teeter. F-ing Teeter how I hate you so much! Seriously, APP2SD+ because HTC stock ROM is "fat" I was out of space after installing 10 apps at most. Froyo doesn't solve the problem. At least not yet. Perhaps, over time more apps will get updated to support Froyo APP2SD. Did I mention Teeter? Argg :D

With regards battery performance, I paid for, and downloaded, SetCPU, but apparently the kernel I have is not supported.

So, I guess I'll have to wait for the SetCPU dev to write for that kernel before I get any value out of that purchase. :)

As a general rule SetCPU wont work on Sense ROMs.

If you've read this far, thanks!

And if you have any advice which will make the experience a little more enjoyable for me, double thanks!

Yes, I know.... HTC have FINALLY rolled out the official FroYo upgrade and I COULD just do a factory reset and go back to a non-rooted phone, but I like the IDEA of the freedom root provides... just yet to see it in reality.

Keep in mind that if you roll back to stock your HBOOT will get updated and you wont be able to root until Paul or somebody else cracks the new HBOOT.

Guest audio2u
Rooting is not magical. It wont make your device better by just having root access. It may also take time to find the perfect ROM that works on your device. One should have a good reason for rooting.

For me, it was initially because of promised battery life improvements, and the whole a2sd affair, because like you, you could only get a handful of apps onboard before you ran out of space.

As a general rule SetCPU wont work on Sense ROMs.

That was not the problem for me though. As I said, the last 3 custom bakes I did, did not have Sense in them.

Plus, the developer of SetCPU specifically said to me in an e-mail that it was because of the kernel I was running, which is apparently not yet supported.

Keep in mind that if you roll back to stock your HBOOT will get updated and you wont be able to root until Paul or somebody else cracks the new HBOOT.

Which is why I haven't got that route either. I have been patiently waiting for the r7 kitchen, which I have just seen is now open for business! Woot!!

Time to whip up some new FroYo... and hope it's better than the last batch.

Guest audio2u
Definitely sounds to me as is something went awry for you. I run the r6 and have no such issues.

As to battery life, I found no major difference, but generically, when I have had problems with battery life, a naughty application has been to blame. "adb logcat" is your friend here.

I would try

making sure usb debugging is enabled.

Do a new bake, pay close attention to the options you select, write them down so if you have problems you can report them back.

backup..both nandroid and your sd-card. (if you chose a2sd+ you do have an ext3 partition right?)

reformat your sd-card.

full wipe

dalvik wipe

reflash.

Oh FFS!!!!

I backed up my sd card to a folder on my pc.

I reformatted the sd card. (I know, I didn't follow the order of the instructions, did I?)

Copied Koush's Fake-flash (called update.zip) and my newly baked r7 ROM (details of which will be later in this rant) to the clean sd card

Put the sd card back in the phone.

Boot into recovery mode.

Apply sd card:update.zip (which runs fake flash)

Did a nandroid backup

Did full factory reset

Did cache wipe

Flashed my new r7 bake.

Reboot.

The lock screen came up as expected.

Unlock, and begin working my way through all the setup pages.

3 or 4 pages in (sorry, don't remember exactly which page I was on) and what do I get?

ANOTHER bloody 'com.htc.bgp has fled to the bahamas with your life savings' error.

Aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh.

And then, before I even got through the rest of the setup screens, I got ANOTHER error.

This one was 'process.android.settings has quit'.

So, then the screen goes black, but with the notification bar up the top.

Couldn't do anything other than power down.

Reboot.

Get as far as the 'quietly brilliant' animation screen and the phone goes into a coma.

Pull the battery out.

Restart.

Gets to anim screen and goes to sleep again.

And that's where it's been for the last 20 mins.

Jesus H.

OK, question time.

Does the fact that I haven't yet set up the ext3 partition (for a2sd+) on the sd card matter? Can I do that later?

Did I forget some critical part of the process?

Was there anything else I should have done differently?

And finally, the details of my bake:

google apps:

voice dialer

voice search

youtube

htc apps:

app sharing

flickr

flashlight

footprints

friend stream

htc ime

lock screen

peep

teeter

voice recorder

world clock

3rd party apps:

facebook 1.3.0

quickoffice

modaco additions:

adfree

ase + scripts

spare parts

titanium

expert:

a2sd+

radio image

As you can see, I left Sense OUT of the mix. Should I rebake with it in? Will it make a difference?

If you don't hear from me again, it'll be because I've thrown myself off a tall building. :)

Oh ye gods....

Well, while I'm awaiting your replies, I'll go give it another restart and see if anything different happens.... say, isn't that the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

Oh joy.

Guest audio2u

So, I did another complete factory reset, cooked up another version of Paul's r7 ROM (almost identical to that listed in the previous post, but with the new version of G-mail, and with Rosie/Sense left IN) and flashed it.

For 36 hours or so, I thought I'd finally nailed it.

I was still getting the com.htc.bgp error (which, from looking at running services, appears to be related to google calendar?), but I could live with that as it doesn't seem to affect the perfomrance of the phone in any significant way.

With Sense back in the mix, I AM getting the ability to switch between 'charge only/htc sync/disk drive/wifi tethering' which I was not getting before.

So, that was a huge plus!

But then, for some reason, yesterday morning, I noticed that my phone was no longer receiving 3G. It's not even getting 2G!!

I've tried power down, battery out/in, power up.... no improvement.

Yes, I've made sure that 'mobile networks' and 'data roaming' are active.

And here's where it gets weird.

I just tried (whilst writing this post) MANUALLY selecting my network carrier (rather than allowing automatic selection) and I got a "your sim card does not allow a connection to this network"error.

WTF?

So, for the last 24 hours, I had phone call capabilities but nothing else.

NOW, I don't even have THAT!

Oh ye gods.

Just got off the phone from 3 (my carrier).

They've suggested putting my SIM card into another handset, which I'll try when I get home tonight.

Grrrr.

In the mean time, any one got any other suggestions I might try?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Albert Poon
So, I did another complete factory reset, cooked up another version of Paul's r7 ROM (almost identical to that listed in the previous post, but with the new version of G-mail, and with Rosie/Sense left IN) and flashed it.

For 36 hours or so, I thought I'd finally nailed it.

I was still getting the com.htc.bgp error (which, from looking at running services, appears to be related to google calendar?), but I could live with that as it doesn't seem to affect the perfomrance of the phone in any significant way.

With Sense back in the mix, I AM getting the ability to switch between 'charge only/htc sync/disk drive/wifi tethering' which I was not getting before.

So, that was a huge plus!

But then, for some reason, yesterday morning, I noticed that my phone was no longer receiving 3G. It's not even getting 2G!!

I've tried power down, battery out/in, power up.... no improvement.

Yes, I've made sure that 'mobile networks' and 'data roaming' are active.

And here's where it gets weird.

I just tried (whilst writing this post) MANUALLY selecting my network carrier (rather than allowing automatic selection) and I got a "your sim card does not allow a connection to this network"error.

WTF?

So, for the last 24 hours, I had phone call capabilities but nothing else.

NOW, I don't even have THAT!

Oh ye gods.

Just got off the phone from 3 (my carrier).

They've suggested putting my SIM card into another handset, which I'll try when I get home tonight.

Grrrr.

In the mean time, any one got any other suggestions I might try?

Thanks in advance.

I am also a noob but I never encounter such problem flashing from r31 > r5 > r6 > r7. I always use ROM Manager to do the flash and wipe all data and cache. No unexpected errors. no F/C.