ANDROID 2.1 T-MO UK UPDATE

Guest mr.a

Indeed they have, and if any of the posters love there Pulse just a teeny bit they'll go for the latest FLB Mod, no SMS issues, live wallpapers running smoothly,loads of extra memory space due to root and my 8gb sd card.

Clockwork Recovery also in the mix, the latest mod even runs Launcher Pro Plus with no freeze/ram issues, and has great battery life over all, made especially good by complimenting the whole mix with Set CPU.

Me no likey standard roms....and neither does my Pulse :D

Agree entirely, the Pulse is so much better with FLB I would recommend it to anyone. :D

I have a stock Pulse with just the December update applied. If I apply the official T-Mob 2.1 update is it possible to return to 1.5? If so do I need to do some sort of backup before applying it? (I've no idea how to do a nandroid backup or anything).

I'd love to move past 1.5 as I want to use the Kindle app but I'm worried about these reports of missing SMS as this would make the phone useless to me!

(also do you get google nav with the 2.1 update?)

cheers!

J

Guest scoobydoo99
I have a stock Pulse with just the December update applied. If I apply the official T-Mob 2.1 update is it possible to return to 1.5? If so do I need to do some sort of backup before applying it? (I've no idea how to do a nandroid backup or anything).

I'd love to move past 1.5 as I want to use the Kindle app but I'm worried about these reports of missing SMS as this would make the phone useless to me!

(also do you get google nav with the 2.1 update?)

cheers!

J

I went from the MCR rom, which was based on the stock 1.5 rom, to the 2.1 update.

I'm on Vodafone, text and pic messages work fine and the phone is quicker, more stable and the battery usage is improved.

Yes you get the google sat nav, quite impressive but it's a bit battery hungry so only use if it's charging.

Only issue I have with 2.1 is that the phone memory is a bit limited if you download loads of big apps.

I could update to fibbles custom rom that allows the apps to be saved to the memory card, but I'm not sure I want to try another custom rom as the official 2.1 is such an improvement over the custom rom I was using.

I went from the MCR rom, which was based on the stock 1.5 rom, to the 2.1 update.

Thats great to know, thanks. What about the downgrade route - is there one? (I've seen someone ask this above but didn't see a reply)

Guest Fusion0306
Thats great to know, thanks. What about the downgrade route - is there one? (I've seen someone ask this above but didn't see a reply)

Yes, you can. This question has been answered many times. We have an ULTIMATE GUIDE (you can take your time and go through the forum for your answer, and then ask, not the other way around)

Edited by Fusion0306

Guest Cazomino05
I just had this problem not less than a minute ago, Stock Message app, 2.1 flashed from t-mobile website without root or anything just flashed 1.5 then 2.1 luckily it wasn't an important message but I've double checked and it WAS sent just wasn't received... never know the network might have lost it for a while so if I receive it I'll post back

EDIT: I was referring to the "standard" issue not the one you had, I didn't even get the notification

One thing I can add was I was running ADW from the market as the default launcher canvas was still running in the background so it's possibly the cause I can't reproduce this just using canvas but it is pretty "random"

Guest Karbonator
Thanks TheBrownBottle,

Tried but unfortunately still failed on at the 2.1 stage.

Hi guys.

First of all thanks for all the tremendous work on the Pulse - I am really glad that I didn't keep the fancy, expensive phones I tested and decided for the Pulse!

However, I have the same problem as johninho and others - the UK (and TRE for that matter) updates won't work on my phone. No matter what I do, it always says "Update failed" halfway through the update process. I have tried updating from the Android menu and also with the three-buttons-upgrade-mode - from the rescue-state, from december update, from HU 2.1... it doesn't help, the update always fails.

I have absolutely no clue what else I could try and therefore hope for someone having a great idea. I really like to install the UK update and then finally use the FLB rom. :D

Unfortunately my Pulse is constantly rebooting.

Is there a way to find out why it is happening, perhaps looking at underlying *nix logs etc.

Recall it was stable under 1.5MCR1.7, but since I've tried the various 2.1 ROMS it is unstable. Main phone functions work including SMS and Wifi often for days, but as soon as I try a big program such as the browser, maps, touchdown it will reboot. Sometimes it just goes through a constant reboot cycle, until I take the battery out for a few moments. Seem to recall Hungrey 2.1 may have been ok (but I'm not sure), but reboots happening with FLB (including 1.3).

Thought I'd go back to a stock rom and have recently put on the new stock uk 2.1. But that has the same problem.

Note I am not complaining. The work Fibblesan has done on FLB is great. This community has wonderful support, but I having read all of the posts I can not see my problem appearing. In fact most of the forum seem to have working phones with these roms so wonder if there is something special about mine...

(Definietly a UK T-Mobile Pulse via ebay. but unlocked with a vodaphone MVNO sim and a 8Gb Class 4 SD Card).

Any thoughts before I give up and get a new smartphone?

Guest johninho
Hi guys.

First of all thanks for all the tremendous work on the Pulse - I am really glad that I didn't keep the fancy, expensive phones I tested and decided for the Pulse!

However, I have the same problem as johninho and others - the UK (and TRE for that matter) updates won't work on my phone. No matter what I do, it always says "Update failed" halfway through the update process. I have tried updating from the Android menu and also with the three-buttons-upgrade-mode - from the rescue-state, from december update, from HU 2.1... it doesn't help, the update always fails.

I have absolutely no clue what else I could try and therefore hope for someone having a great idea. I really like to install the UK update and then finally use the FLB rom. :D

Mines back in for repair. Will let you know how I get on

Edited by johninho

Just posting to say I did apply the update and for anyone else who was just on the december update (like I was), I think it's worth it.

App space is pretty tight - I added amazon mp3, kindle, facebook, eurogamer, sky map, gtasks, shazam, swiftkey, twitter and some stuff for google maps to enable voice nav and now it's about full. I also have some issues with apps not showing in the store - most annoyingly sprite backup so I can't restore my contacts or texts (posted elsewhere on that). Other than that it seems stable and mostly faster so far.

I would class myself "mostly happy".

Guest JohnPorter
Hi guys can someone point me in the right direction of rooting the uk 2.1 on my pulse thanks

Have a look at the Community Custom ROM r2a on this form, it's the UK 2.1 rooted with Apps2SD, or look for FLB-MOD (can be used on UK, Hungarian and TRE 2.1) or J-MOD.

All you need to do is install Clockwork Recovery beforehand.

Guest JohnPorter
Cool, is it without the unecessary apps? I dont know how to install clockwork recovery is that there too.

Clockwork Recovery

Look at each of the 3 ROMs and decide from there. FLB-MOD is the most popular one.

Edited by JohnPorter

Guest Karbonator
still no nearer in finding a solution though. I did read somewhere that there may be an issue with faulty nand memory in the boot sector that may be causing problems.

Can you please tell where you have read that? If that's true, maybe that is my problem, too, since I can't install UK/TRE updates or the current FLB mods.

However, I don't know what reason I could tell my seller or even T-Mobile why I would want my Pulse to be repaired - I am in Germany and got it from a German shop. Since there is no German 2.1 update anyway, I can't tell them "Hey guys, my phone seems to be broken, I can't install the official UK update" - what do you think?

Mines back in for repair. Will let you know how I get on

May I ask why you sent it in and to where exactly?

Guest igor_anta

I went to the T-Mob UK support site to check if the kernel is released and noticed that they removed the 2.1 update?!?!?!? Why would they do this, or is my browser just opening an older cached version of the page ? :D

I went to the T-Mob UK support site to check if the kernel is released and noticed that they removed the 2.1 update?!?!?!? Why would they do this, or is my browser just opening an older cached version of the page ? :D

Maybe somebody reported the sms issue and their test team can reproduce this bug? Somebody should write an email to T-Mobile UK.

Maybe somebody reported the sms issue and their test team can reproduce this bug? Somebody should write an email to T-Mobile UK.

i think they might me reuploading it together with the source...???

EDIT: and why did they re-post the December Update??????

Edited by mr.a

Guest Simon O

Probably the low memory issue. I'm not certain but I think the SMS issue is affecting me now. My phone has also stopped receiving new email.. really getting fed up with this phone now.

Guest igor_anta
Probably the low memory issue. I'm not certain but I think the SMS issue is affecting me now. My phone has also stopped receiving new email.. really getting fed up with this phone now.

Why does it take so long to release that darn kernel source?! Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't SWAP fix all the memory issues we have?

Guest Simon O
Why does it take so long to release that darn kernel source?! Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't SWAP fix all the memory issues we have?

It would certainly help reduce the number of issues for sure.

Guest Simon O

Ok I've asked t-mobile why the update has been pulled and just waiting to hear back from the handset team. They are pretty good at getting back to me so hopefully we will know the reason soon.

If the problem is the memory issue causing lost SMS then I can see them fixing this. Of course the best fix would be to release the kernel and let us add swap support, but releasing Froyo for the Pulse would be even better!

Guest igor_anta
Ok I've asked t-mobile why the update has been pulled and just waiting to hear back from the handset team. They are pretty good at getting back to me so hopefully we will know the reason soon.

If the problem is the memory issue causing lost SMS then I can see them fixing this. Of course the best fix would be to release the kernel and let us add swap support, but releasing Froyo for the Pulse would be even better!

Haha, well wantig Froyo is optimistic. We've been waiting for 2.1 for soooo long I don't know if my heart can take the stress again :D But the source shouldn't take that long to release, I have no idea what held them till now to just give it to us?