ANDROID 2.1 T-MO UK UPDATE

Guest mr.a

Guest Daz555
Probably the low memory issue. I'm not certain but I think the SMS issue is affecting me now. My phone has also stopped receiving new email.. really getting fed up with this phone now.

The email thing - something crept into latest FLB perhaps? I don't think I ever read about you having this problem before.

Guest Simon O
The email thing - something crept into latest FLB perhaps? I don't think I ever read about you having this problem before.

I haven't had the issue before, you are right. But I think it's related to the tweaks to the android task killer I added. FLB 1.31 didn't have any task killer tweaks as I forgot to add them and it ran great. 1.4 has optimal settings along with the fix for keeping the launcher in ram. I've edited the kernel back to default settings and I'm going to test it and see if it makes a difference.

Well I think I spoke too soon about the 2.1 update. Phone _is_ generally much better than under the Dec update but somethings were slower - e.g. very slow to look up names of caller ID numbers. Now I've found out I've been missing texts, never had it before :D(

Back to december update for me. Gonna miss kindle...

Guest johninho
quote name='Karbonator' date='Aug 18 2010, 12:11' post='1380378']

Can you please tell where you have read that? If that's true, maybe that is my problem, too, since I can't install UK/TRE updates or the current FLB mods.

However, I don't know what reason I could tell my seller or even T-Mobile why I would want my Pulse to be repaired - I am in Germany and got it from a German shop. Since there is no German 2.1 update anyway, I can't tell them "Hey guys, my phone seems to be broken, I can't install the official UK update" - what do you think?

QUOTE(johninho @ Aug 15 2010, 15:19)

Mines back in for repair. Will let you know how I get on

May I ask why you sent it in and to where exactly?

I just took it back to the T-Mobile UK Store I bought it from and told the truth. Phone was working fine with December update. Installing the official UK 2.1 update (downloaded from the T-Mobile UK Website) failed and locked the phone with the blue screen of death. Phone is in warranty and the software update applied is official

Edited by johninho

Guest Daz555
1.4 has optimal settings along with the fix for keeping the launcher in ram.

If this is effectively the same as ticking the "System Persistent" box in ADW settings then I think this might be contributing to your problem.

I think if the OS really feels the need to unload the launcher in order to do something else, we should let it. Having said that I rarely see the launcher reload regardless. I certainly had a flurry of random problems and hangs when I ran with system persistent enabled for a short time.

Guest Karbonator
I just took it back to the T-Mobile UK Store I bought it from and told the truth. Phone was working fine with December update. Installing the official UK 2.1 update (downloaded from the T-Mobile UK Website) failed and locked the phone with the blue screen of death. Phone is in warranty and the software update applied is official

Ah, you are in UK, well that's good for you. I am not sure if German T-Mobile will accept the complaint that the official UK patch (which is not longer available officially) won't work on my Pulse. :D

Guest meinnit
Probably the low memory issue. I'm not certain but I think the SMS issue is affecting me now. My phone has also stopped receiving new email.. really getting fed up with this phone now.

Try rebooting the phone. My phone becomes slow after a few days uptime (low mem). Probably due to Android not freeing up RAM.

Guest Simon O
If this is effectively the same as ticking the "System Persistent" box in ADW settings then I think this might be contributing to your problem.

I think if the OS really feels the need to unload the launcher in order to do something else, we should let it. Having said that I rarely see the launcher reload regardless. I certainly had a flurry of random problems and hangs when I ran with system persistent enabled for a short time.

Maybe, I don't know to be honest. I run my phone without the "keep launcher in RAM" tweak as I find it more responsive but whenever I remove the setting I get a lot of complaints from people.

Guest Simon O

Oh and update. T-Mobile UK haven't replied to any update requests that I've sent them. I was told an update will be tweeted about the removal of the 2.1 ROM but this hasn't happened.

Anybody else had a better response?

Guest igor_anta
Oh and update. T-Mobile UK haven't replied to any update requests that I've sent them. I was told an update will be tweeted about the removal of the 2.1 ROM but this hasn't happened.

Anybody else had a better response?

Nope, same for me. That was on the 18th so nothing. Guess I'll bother them with a new message :D

Guest igor_anta

I got a response from T-Mob UK:

TmobileUKhelp

Hi there, the 2.1 update will be available soon as it was removed temporarily from the website.

So there it is, still no reason why it was removed, or when the source will be released. Cheers!

Guest themadwacky1

like i mentioned before (i think!), after i talked to t-mboile about the possible sms bug still existing in the 2.1 update they removed it! - Not sure if this was a coincidence though!

I would have tried to get further with them, but they told me that they have notified the testing team and they will try and sort it out.

They then told me to note down 5 times when the sms bug occurred and also note down the time and day, the postcode/signal area in which it happened, and also the type of signal (2g/3g). They said, only then could they launch a network investigation!!!

But the thing is, if i don't know that a message has been sent to my phone (and not been received), then it would be impractical to try and and retrace back to when the sms was sent, when i eventually find out, and even if i do manage to - how will i remember the signal strength at that particular point in time??!!

If it already hasn't been established, the sms problem is definitely a memory issue. Just to test it, I used T-Mobiles web text send under different scenarios. It all cases, where I had a largish app running, I received no text. I had no problems receiving text when there were no apps running and I had about 25mb memory.

Guest igor_anta
If it already hasn't been established, the sms problem is definitely a memory issue. Just to test it, I used T-Mobiles web text send under different scenarios. It all cases, where I had a largish app running, I received no text. I had no problems receiving text when there were no apps running and I had about 25mb memory.

So what is the name of the messaging process, not the app but the android process responsible for this?

Flibblesan, maybe it's possible to do the same as the launcher in memory fix for this, but instead of the value 1 which means the process is killed if there's low memory it could be set to 0 which means it always stays. That may be total rubbish but it's what I got to know so far. Cheers!

Guest meinnit

I have also reproduced on FLB. Happened when memory was approx 15MB

So what is the name of the messaging process, not the app but the android process responsible for this?

Flibblesan, maybe it's possible to do the same as the launcher in memory fix for this, but instead of the value 1 which means the process is killed if there's low memory it could be set to 0 which means it always stays. That may be total rubbish but it's what I got to know so far. Cheers!

I think SMS is handled by the SMS application. This is what I understand...(may be wrong though!) When an SMS is received Android passes the request to whoever responds to the SMS Received trigger. At this point the Messaging app is launched however is there isn't enough memory to do this, the SMS is "lost". The network probably doesn't retry because intenally Android has "accepted" the SMS however it was not handled correctly. This is my theory :D

Guest Bendolfc

I'm pretty sure android handles the SMS irrespective of any messaging app, it's just putting it into a database (sqlite?) for any frontend app to come along and do as it pleases with.

Guest de_shepherd
I think SMS is handled by the SMS application. This is what I understand...(may be wrong though!) When an SMS is received Android passes the request to whoever responds to the SMS Received trigger. At this point the Messaging app is launched however is there isn't enough memory to do this, the SMS is "lost". The network probably doesn't retry because intenally Android has "accepted" the SMS however it was not handled correctly. This is my theory :D

Sounds plausible ... basically the SMS receive is handle in 2 phases

1) network sends SMS message and the telephone side of the pulse will receives it ... and from the networks perspective it is now delivered

2) telephone sde of pulse then broadcasts a "i've got an SMS message - who wants to handle it" request ... but at this point the relevant process is unable to start (or perhaps has been killed when the assumption was that it would always be running/sleeping) and doesn't respond.

This 2 phase process has many benefits in that it isolates the network side from the display side and also allows for different apps to be able to offer to accept SMS messages (the article mentioned later from the Android Competency Centre seems to hint that some apps may at times be expecting to receive some special authorisation code via SMS and be able to request to see SMS messages coming in to filter them while it waits for the code its expecting) .... however, this assumes that there is something running to handle this request as otherwise the SMS message will just be dropped on the floor.

Maybe some way of pinning (part of) the messaging app into memory may be the solution here ... but this may then just push the problem to other apps now having to run with (even) less memory.

I think overall we're in the situation of someone moving from one version of windows to another with the minimum spec PC for the new version .... things were ok on the old version and "sort of" work on the new but in reality you need a new PC!

.... things were ok on the old version and "sort of" work on the new but in reality you need a new PC!

...which one do you recommend...Spica...or even the Desire! :D ...but I love my ZX Pulspectrum too much :D

Guest Sl4yer
Seems to be a known issue with android...

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4991

Mustn't confuse storage with RAM. I've had the warning and dropped texts when storage space is low, which is what the posts refers to. As I understand it, our problem is to do with insufficient RAM.

I sometimes find that texts haven't been received, and sometimes get texts several times! Could this be related?

Guest wideawakewesley

Hey all, mobile phone n00b here so appreciate any help you can give me. After years of using my wife's cast offs, the last being an Orange SPV C550, which has finally bit the dust, I've plumped for a Pulse today after seeing the £99 deal on it. Came here today to check out info on Android 2.1 (which was available when I saw the deal originally) and dismayed to see folks saying it's been pulled from T-Mobile's site and talking about SMS issues and app space issues.

With the phone due to arrive in a few days, I'm after advice on what I should do with it in terms of upgrades etc. I notice the 2.1 update is still available via direct link from the Ultimate Guide, does that mean T-Mobile have put it back up? Do loads of apps require it? Is it better to go for the unofficial stuff?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm keen to get the most out of the device and imagine I'll use it mostly for internet/app related stuff as I rarely make calls or send texts.

Edited by wideawakewesley

Guest Theme Ishere
Hey all, mobile phone n00b here so appreciate any help you can give me. After years of using my wife's cast offs, the last being an Orange SPV C550, which has finally bit the dust, I've plumped for a Pulse today after seeing the £99 deal on it. Came here today to check out info on Android 2.1 (which was available when I saw the deal originally) and dismayed to see folks saying it's been pulled from T-Mobile's site and talking about SMS issues and app space issues.

With the phone due to arrive in a few days, I'm after advice on what I should do with it in terms of upgrades etc. I notice the 2.1 update is still available via direct link from the Ultimate Guide, does that mean T-Mobile have put it back up? Do loads of apps require it? Is it better to go for the unofficial stuff?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm keen to get the most out of the device and imagine I'll use it mostly for internet/app related stuff as I rarely make calls or send texts.

I just want to contribute something as well, even though I am not a Flibble or BigBear (you will now what that means after hanging around in these forums for a few days :huh: ).

If they still hand it out with 1.5 on it, I would stick with it for the Moment. I'm pretty sure these guys on the board will sort that problem out somehow, or if T-Mobile sorts it out, they will implement it in some of the custom roms.

In terms of Official to Custom Rom...it really depends on what you want to do. If you would like to put loads of Apps on it, have root access to go further into the heart of Android and be able to customise it as far as possible, the custom roms (e.g. FLB 1.41 or JMod) are really good. I myself never tried the official one, but according to others it does what it should and works really well, except for the SMS issue at the moment.

Before I came here I only knew that I like Android because I hate Apple ;) But since I started to play around with my little Pulsy and begun to appreciate what these guys are achieving here, I can't even imagine to have another phone anymore.

Guest JohnPorter
I just want to contribute something as well, even though I am not a Flibble or BigBear (you will now what that means after hanging around in these forums for a few days :huh: ).

If they still hand it out with 1.5 on it, I would stick with it for the Moment. I'm pretty sure these guys on the board will sort that problem out somehow, or if T-Mobile sorts it out, they will implement it in some of the custom roms.

In terms of Official to Custom Rom...it really depends on what you want to do. If you would like to put loads of Apps on it, have root access to go further into the heart of Android and be able to customise it as far as possible, the custom roms (e.g. FLB 1.41 or JMod) are really good. I myself never tried the official one, but according to others it does what it should and works really well, except for the SMS issue at the moment.

Before I came here I only knew that I like Android because I hate Apple ;) But since I started to play around with my little Pulsy and begun to appreciate what these guys are achieving here, I can't even imagine to have another phone anymore.

FLB-MOD & J-MOD are worth updating to now, no need to wait for t-mobile to re-release the 2.1 update. Both ROMs are stable and have lots of people willing to help if you get into difficulties.