ANDROID 2.1 T-MO UK UPDATE

Guest mr.a

Guest Whirly

I should receive my Pulse in the next couple of days and I'm unsue about updating it. I assume, as it is no longer on their website, updating to 2.1 would not be covered by the warranty....so if anything went wrong....

Does anyone know the likelihood of a failed update killing the phone? (I'm a complete noob to android and, indeed, any smartphone)

Guest Fusion0306
I should receive my Pulse in the next couple of days and I'm unsue about updating it. I assume, as it is no longer on their website, updating to 2.1 would not be covered by the warranty....so if anything went wrong....

Does anyone know the likelihood of a failed update killing the phone? (I'm a complete noob to android and, indeed, any smartphone)

You can always go back to december update

Guest Whirly

Not if my phone is dead :huh:

Seriously though, I've done enough research to see that you can roll back to previous Android versions so I wasn't worried about that. I was simply asking if anyone knew if there was any risk of killing the phone completely during an update.

Thanks for the info anyway Fusion0306.

Guest Fusion0306
Not if my phone is dead :huh:

Seriously though, I've done enough research to see that you can roll back to previous Android versions so I wasn't worried about that. I was simply asking if anyone knew if there was any risk of killing the phone completely during an update.

Thanks for the info anyway Fusion0306.

Someone wrote that the only way to kill a pulse is to take out a battery at a vital moment of the official update.

Guest johninho

Re:- Unable to install Official UK 2.1 update (or FLB 1.3 or above)

QUOTE(oporto @ Aug 9 2010, 19:26)

still no nearer in finding a solution though. I did read somewhere that there may be an issue with faulty nand memory in the boot sector that may be causing problems.

Can you please tell where you have read that? If that's true, maybe that is my problem, too, since I can't install UK/TRE updates or the current FLB mods.

However, I don't know what reason I could tell my seller or even T-Mobile why I would want my Pulse to be repaired - I am in Germany and got it from a German shop. Since there is no German 2.1 update anyway, I can't tell them "Hey guys, my phone seems to be broken, I can't install the official UK update" - what do you think?

May I ask why you sent it in and to where exactly?

QUOTE(johninho @ Aug 15 2010, 15:19)

Mines back in for repair. Will let you know how I get on

Looks like the problems you, oporta an I have had is hardware related.

Sent mine back in for repair.

Repair status is showing

Repair Description - Software update

- Replacement - Mainboard(Servicing Backup Board),U8220,HD1U822M03,England-T-Mobile(only use for service)

- Screening

So, looks like a new motherboard has been installed. I'm interested to see what version the software update they refer to is.

Edited by johninho

Guest oporto
Re:- Unable to install Official UK 2.1 update (or FLB 1.3 or above)

QUOTE(oporto @ Aug 9 2010, 19:26)

still no nearer in finding a solution though. I did read somewhere that there may be an issue with faulty nand memory in the boot sector that may be causing problems.

QUOTE(johninho @ Aug 15 2010, 15:19)

Mines back in for repair. Will let you know how I get on

Looks like the problems you, oporta an I have had is hardware related.

Sent mine back in for repair.

Repair status is showing

Repair Description - Software update

- Replacement - Mainboard(Servicing Backup Board),U8220,HD1U822M03,England-T-Mobile(only use for service)

- Screening

So, looks like a new motherboard has been installed. I'm interested to see what version the software update they refer to is.

Well mine has returned, apparently no fault found and they've updated the firmware to............ Android 1.5 DEC 2009 update....... what a load of numpties!!! Still wont install either T-Mob UK 2.1 or any FLB after 1.2 Tmo. Cant install any of the TRE kernel ROMS at all. In fact they've just wasted 2 weeks of my time and have done nothing at all with my phone. VERY ANNOYED !! :huh:

Edited by oporto

Guest johninho
Well mine has returned, apparently no fault found and they've updated the firmware to............ Android 1.5 DEC 2009 update....... what a load of numpties!!!

:huh: After the 2.1 update was pulled, I was concerned that was what would happen with mine.

When (If!!) the 2.1 update is put back on by T-Mobile, could you not install, allow it to brick your phone then take back again? I presume they wouldn't be able to return it without the latest update on.

I sympathise, those kind of things normally happen to me too.

Guest Simon O
:huh: After the 2.1 update was pulled, I was concerned that was what would happen with mine.

When (If!!) the 2.1 update is put back on by T-Mobile, could you not install, allow it to brick your phone then take back again? I presume they wouldn't be able to return it without the latest update on.

I sympathise, those kind of things normally happen to me too.

I might be speculating but maybe another reason the 2.1 update was removed is because some devices are failing to install it?

T-Mobile UK are being incredibly unhelpful now. Nobody is willing to tell me, or anybody else, exactly why it was removed. It could have some serious bugs that we haven't noticed yet!

Guest wideawakewesley
I might be speculating but maybe another reason the 2.1 update was removed is because some devices are failing to install it?

T-Mobile UK are being incredibly unhelpful now. Nobody is willing to tell me, or anybody else, exactly why it was removed. It could have some serious bugs that we haven't noticed yet!

Isn't it a bit stupid of them to leave the update available via this link though:

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/library/TMOB...20Android21.zip

Guest whackster

Seriously doubt we missed some bugs :huh: I'm hoping that the reason they pulled it is because of the sms not receiving bug, and that being caused by low memory, so it would be great if they optimize things!

It still would be best for them just to give up and release the complete source, seeing how the pulse is discontinued, and they are moving on to new phones.

Guess we can only wait, and of course keep on nagging them and filling their mailbox (if anyone still reads it).

Sorry guys I meant to post this the other day.

Before I gave up and ordered my desire I was on the phone to them again and got them to put me through to the technical department.

They said that anyone who has 2.1 on their phone who wants to go back to 1.5 can take it in the shop and send it off.

Forget that like just do it yourself but that is the official line.

I very much doubt that they will ever put it back on 2.1 I think they are stalling to be honest with you in the hope that people like me will just give up.

I can't confirm this but I am sure that the only reason they took it off was because of the SMS issue, after a number of people reported it they know that this is too much of a fundamental issue. Considering it's the most stable rom I have ever used apart from this it's a great shame.

The fact that they refuse to speak to us when we ask to talk to the engineers doesn't surprise me.

And second to that, this phone working on a 2.1Rom would be worth so much more than £100 so the fact they are selling it for that suggests that they don't think it will ever be properly stable.

It's infact so good that I am still running the rom whilst I wait for my new desire and only very rarely miss a text anyway on this rom.

My advice, Bite the bullet sign a 2 year contract get a desire.

It's way ahead of it's time anyway and I doubt that they will really need to improve the hardware that much in the next two years.

Guest craigb244

that makes sense and i thought it myself.

the phone was never sold as having 2.1 or ever getting updated to it.

would not surprise me if we ever get 2.1 back and that means we are unlikely to ever get the source from t-mobile uk.

Guest Daz555

would not surprise me if we ever get 2.1 back and that means we are unlikely to ever get the source from t-mobile uk.

If 2.1 is dead on the Pulse there is still no reason for holding back the source. Time to get hassling T-Mobile.

Edited by Daz555

Guest meinnit

T-Mobile UK may very well be aware of the fanbase on this forum. It comes up in the top searches for the Pulse on Google! If they don't release 2.1 and want to keep the hundreds of Pulse users on this forum happy and also keep them as T-Mobile customers I would think they would release the source :huh:

Guest JohnPorter
T-Mobile UK may very well be aware of the fanbase on this forum. It comes up in the top searches for the Pulse on Google! If they don't release 2.1 and want to keep the hundreds of Pulse users on this forum happy and also keep them as T-Mobile customers I would think they would release the source :huh:

An ever dwindling fanbase which I can see only getting smaller and smaller due to it's short coming and people wanting better devices. Not sure how T-Mobile would see releasing an update and / or source for a limited number of hardcore fans of such a budget device.

I've just started my rom, J-MOD, although am enjoying doing it, I'm having thoughts whether it's worth developing further if I'm honest because I'm not sure how long the Pulse has got before it's considered a non-entity....shame I can't make it more generic so it would work on more devices.....

Sorry for been negative, but many are now wishing they could change, others are changing their phones and coming on here suggesting we all do the same, and it does make you think was it worth getting a Pulse in first place....

Guest wideawakewesley
An ever dwindling fanbase which I can see only getting smaller and smaller due to it's short coming and people wanting better devices. Not sure how T-Mobile would see releasing an update and / or source for a limited number of hardcore fans of such a budget device.

I've just started my rom, J-MOD, although am enjoying doing it, I'm having thoughts whether it's worth developing further if I'm honest because I'm not sure how long the Pulse has got before it's considered a non-entity....shame I can't make it more generic so it would work on more devices.....

Sorry for been negative, but many are now wishing they could change, others are changing their phones and coming on here suggesting we all do the same, and it does make you think was it worth getting a Pulse in first place....

The cynic in me is wondering if they released 2.1 just to try and shift the remaining stock. I'll be quite annoyed if they don't try and fix issues with it and rerelease as I bought the phone on the back of that update being available.

Are the custom roms worth my time instead?

Edited by wideawakewesley

Guest JohnPorter
The cynic in me is wondering if they released 2.1 just to try and shift the remaining stock. I'll be quite annoyed if they don't try and fix issues with it and rerelease as I bought the phone on the back of that update being available.

Are the custom roms worth my time instead?

FLB-MOD, J-MOD, Community Custom r2a and Pulse TWeak Rom are all worth looking into.

Guest wideawakewesley
FLB-MOD, J-MOD, Community Custom r2a and Pulse TWeak Rom are all worth looking into.

I read that some apps require 2.1, do the custom roms get around that issue?

Sorry to make you question your loyalty as well :huh: Don't get my wrong This Pulse it the best phone I have ever had bar none. It's absolutely bloody amazing I am so impressed with it. It did everything I could possibly imagine. Unfortunately I have got the Android Bug now, and the pulse is been left behind in the shadows.

And the longer you put off that two year contract you will inevitably get forced into signing The more likely it is that when you do get your desire you have to wait longer for the next gen of phone in 2 years time.

Guest meinnit
Sorry to make you question your loyalty as well :huh: Don't get my wrong This Pulse it the best phone I have ever had bar none. It's absolutely bloody amazing I am so impressed with it. It did everything I could possibly imagine. Unfortunately I have got the Android Bug now, and the pulse is been left behind in the shadows.

And the longer you put off that two year contract you will inevitably get forced into signing The more likely it is that when you do get your desire you have to wait longer for the next gen of phone in 2 years time.

I'm not a fan of 2 year contracts. I'd be pretty annoyed if I had signed a contract 2 years ago and only been able to change now cos contracts were damn expensive this time 2 years ago! They're only getting cheaper and I can only see us getting better value for money contracts in 1+ years time.

I'm not a fan of 2 year contracts. I'd be pretty annoyed if I had signed a contract 2 years ago and only been able to change now cos contracts were damn expensive this time 2 years ago! They're only getting cheaper and I can only see us getting better value for money contracts in 1+ years time.

You will say the same thing in a year though honestly, eventually you have to just bite the bullet.

Guest JohnPorter

You will say the same thing in a year though honestly, eventually you have to just bite the bullet.

I'm on a 2 year contract now with my Pulse, couldn't / can't afford £30 a month.

I'm on a 2 year contract now with my Pulse, couldn't / can't afford £30 a month.

I was on sim only £20 a month anyway

So the extra £10 for two years means I was essentially paying £240 for a phone that it worth £450

Couldn't really complain at that could I?

Guest wideawakewesley

From Richard Lai (Engadget writer) on twitter, in response to me telling him t-mobile had pulled the 2.1 update:

"Hmm... I wonder if it's to do with this: http://is.gd/eBg5W"

Edited by wideawakewesley