ANDROID 2.1 T-MO UK UPDATE

Guest mr.a

Guest Daz555

Twitter response to my equiry re 2.1 source:

"You have a new direct message:

TmobileUKhelp: Hi Darren we have requested this info from the handset team, as soon as we have a response, we will tweet it. cheers"

Guest Billi Ep
the files didn't get copied which will be due to running out of space on the system partition. Are you trying to add a2sd to the UK 2.1 rom?

How much space on the system partition needed? thx

Guest Fusion0306
Can you simply install the december update, I thought it needed the time machine?

I guess someone should try it. Maybe they updated the december update, so that the time machine is no longer needed. Who knows...

Guest beneix

I've updated my Pulse to the official UK 2.1 and now I'm starting to feel the memory pinch with a need for putting apps on SD as a consequence. A couple of pointers would help me greatly:

1. Can I root my Pulse and put a custom ROM on it as it is, or do I first have to take a step back to 1.5 before rooting?

2. Is there a consensus best way of backing up the device before I start (and at key steps of the rooting/ROMing process)?

3. Where is the best place to go to learn about the different ROMs available so I can judge which one would be best for me?

I'm a newcomer to Modaco so some gentle pointers where to look would be much appreciated.

Guest Daz555
I've updated my Pulse to the official UK 2.1 and now I'm starting to feel the memory pinch with a need for putting apps on SD as a consequence. A couple of pointers would help me greatly:

1. Can I root my Pulse and put a custom ROM on it as it is, or do I first have to take a step back to 1.5 before rooting?

2. Is there a consensus best way of backing up the device before I start (and at key steps of the rooting/ROMing process)?

3. Where is the best place to go to learn about the different ROMs available so I can judge which one would be best for me?

I'm a newcomer to Modaco so some gentle pointers where to look would be much appreciated.

There is a thread in the stickies at the top that covers everything. Also check in the threads of the ROMs concerned (FLB for example) for the latest info and links to latest files etc in case the guide in the stickies has got a little out of date.

Edited by Daz555

Guest beneix
There is a thread in the stickies at the top that covers everything. Also check in the threads of the ROMs concerned (FLB for example) for the latest info and links to latest files etc in case the guide in the stickies has got a little out of date.

Thanks, now I've got my weekend reading covered. :huh:

Guest oporto
Re:- Unable to install Official UK 2.1 update (or FLB 1.3 or above)

QUOTE(oporto @ Aug 9 2010, 19:26)

still no nearer in finding a solution though. I did read somewhere that there may be an issue with faulty nand memory in the boot sector that may be causing problems.

QUOTE(johninho @ Aug 15 2010, 15:19)

Mines back in for repair. Will let you know how I get on

Looks like the problems you, oporta an I have had is hardware related.

Sent mine back in for repair.

Repair status is showing

Repair Description - Software update

- Replacement - Mainboard(Servicing Backup Board),U8220,HD1U822M03,England-T-Mobile(only use for service)

- Screening

So, looks like a new motherboard has been installed. I'm interested to see what version the software update they refer to is.

Did you get yours back yet? does it now install the UK 2.1 update?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jaydeeuk1

Hi

Took delivery of my pulse today having been reading these forums, playing around with the SDK/eclipse and looking forward to updating to 2.1

Now I don't consider myself to be a novice at all, and I *believe* I've followed the guide correctly, but I cannot get the device to update to 2.1.

I've formatted the SD card (4gb, fat32). Copied the UPDATA.APP and userdata.hwcfg from official/removed UK update to the root of the SD card. Turned off phone, turned back on with the button presses and get "Update failed".

Am I one of the unlucky buggers I've been reading about who have a duff phone, or am I incapable of following simple instructions?

Guest ZeBadger
I've formatted the SD card (4gb, fat32). Copied the UPDATA.APP and userdata.hwcfg from official/removed UK update to the root of the SD card. Turned off phone, turned back on with the button presses and get "Update failed".

I believe that you need to copy the dload folder containing the UPDATA.APP and userdata.hwcfg into the root of the SD card.

Guest johninho
Hi

Took delivery of my pulse today having been reading these forums, playing around with the SDK/eclipse and looking forward to updating to 2.1

Now I don't consider myself to be a novice at all, and I *believe* I've followed the guide correctly, but I cannot get the device to update to 2.1.

Am I one of the unlucky buggers I've been reading about who have a duff phone, or am I incapable of following simple instructions?

You copy the folder called "DLoad" and to the root of SD card. You start the upgrade by going into 'Settings', 'SD Card & Phone Storage' and choosing 'Sofware Upgrade'.

p.s. Oporto, yes I did get mine back with new motherboard. Official UK 2.1 and FLB 1.5 both work fine now. Sorry you didn't have better luck.

Hi

With your GIOL profit, surely you can afford a better phone jaydee! :P

Guest jaydeeuk1
With your GIOL profit, surely you can afford a better phone jaydee! :)

Well done sherlock :P

I take it you're a regular on there too!

Just really wanted to see what android was like first. First impressions, now I've put a custom rom on, is its pretty damn smooth.

Edited by jaydeeuk1

Guest Azurren
Well done sherlock :P

I take it you're a regular on there too!

Just really wanted to see what android was like first. First impressions, now I've put a custom rom on, is its pretty damn smooth.

Not the best way to get first impressions of android :)

Just keep in mind that it's the phone making it lag / jerky scrolling

Guest jaydeeuk1
Not the best way to get first impressions of android :P

Just keep in mind that it's the phone making it lag / jerky scrolling

I love an underdog :)

Was looking at the galaxy S. But I hate contracts (esp 24 month) with a passion. Phones don't last longer than 12 months ime!

No way paying over £400 for a PAYG - yes, I'm a tight git.

I love an underdog :P

Was looking at the galaxy S. But I hate contracts (esp 24 month) with a passion. Phones don't last longer than 12 months ime!

No way paying over £400 for a PAYG - yes, I'm a tight git.

I've been an mb'er for over two years but don't tend to post there too much nowadays. I don't subscribe to the gang mentality that seems to dominate the board.

This is a much friendlier board. I've seen Flib and Tom answer the same questions many times without getting irate about it. In a perfect world, everyone would use the search before asking a question but we don't live in a perfect world....a point missed by the mb elite.

Anyway, with regards to the Pulse, I too love an underdog. Gives the perfect excuse to mess about with it :) and learn more about the OS.

I've been an mb'er for over two years but don't tend to post there too much nowadays. I don't subscribe to the gang mentality that seems to dominate the board.

This is a much friendlier board. I've seen Flib and Tom answer the same questions many times without getting irate about it. In a perfect world, everyone would use the search before asking a question but we don't live in a perfect world....a point missed by the mb elite.

Anyway, with regards to the Pulse, I too love an underdog. Gives the perfect excuse to mess about with it :lol: and learn more about the OS.

So in a nutshell, installing the official TM update will potentially screw up SMS/MMS. If you are really unlucky it may not install correctly leaving you with a bricked phone requiring a flash back to 1.5 which you can get the TM shop to send off.

Also, memory might be an issue for a while so can't install too much???

If all goes well and it installs, then presumably you can then install the oct update over the top?

Just weighing up if its worth doing or waiting for Oct release?

So in a nutshell, installing the official TM update will potentially screw up SMS/MMS. If you are really unlucky it may not install correctly leaving you with a bricked phone requiring a flash back to 1.5 which you can get the TM shop to send off.

Also, memory might be an issue for a while so can't install too much???

If all goes well and it installs, then presumably you can then install the oct update over the top?

Just weighing up if its worth doing or waiting for Oct release?

If you want 2.1

Download 2.1, Update your phone with the official Tmob 2.1 Update

Then download FLB 1.5 or 1.6 ( I would reccoment 1.6 )With Swap Support.

Then Wait for FLB to release a FroYo update ( 2.2 )

Use the "Pulse Owners Guide " to do this.

Guest AntonioPT
can i apply this update to my U8230 mobile !!!

Yes, I believe you can, but you probably better for you to install a custom ROM. Read the "Ultimate Pulse Owner's Guide" (it's a sticky :lol: )

• 1 month later...

I think that T-Mobile is updating the updated (bug-fixed) 2.1 update today because the Android updates section of their site is not available at the moment

Lets all hope that this is true (and that it is Froyo instead of Eclair)