[ROM] Xian (LiquidF) v1.2a [11/1/2010] - CM 6.1.0-RC - MIUI 11.05

Guest xian1243

Guest sinclaire
I meant you have to flash with unsigned option :D

It's the second choice in the flash menu.

the second choice in flash menu is flash with no sign check right? that is for xian rom right?

how I install the bin the 0063?

Guest topifone

I'am o fan of LCR since the beginning but I'm very impressed with this ROM. Fast and smooth than ever (haven't tried LCR 1.8 yet)! Thanks xian/koud for your great work! Camera is not a real problem with me.

Despite of the fact that it's fast and smooth, it always has only ~30M free RAM. In LCR 1.7.x it has ~60M RAM with the same config of home and application?

Edited by topifone

Guest koudelka
I'am o fan of LCR since the beginning but I'm very impressed with this ROM. Fast and smooth than ever (haven't tried LCR 1.8 yet)! Thanks xian/koud for your great work! Camera is not a real problem with me.

Despite of the fact that it's fast and smooth, it always has only ~30M free RAM. In LCR 1.7.x it has ~60M RAM with the same config of home and application?

Memory management is highly complex and you just cant look at some "free RAM" number( I dont even know how they calculate that...). If someone thinks having more free ram makes it faster, it might just be a placebo effect.

If you are interested one of the google android programmers wrote a small post on free memory numbers in android http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2298208...tion-in-android

Note that memory usage on modern operating systems like Linux is an extremely complicated and difficult to understand area. In fact the chances of you actually correctly interpreting whatever numbers you get is extremely low. (Pretty much every time I look at memory usage numbers with other engineers, there is always a long discussion about what they actually mean that only results in a vague conclusion.)
Edited by koudelka

Guest Delnar_Ersike
Memory management is highly complex and you just cant look at some "free RAM" number( I dont even know how they calculate that...). If someone thinks having more free ram makes it faster, it might just be a placebo effect.

If you are interested one of the google android programmers wrote a small post on free memory numbers in android http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2298208...tion-in-android

Very true. If you install different task killers and/or programs that monitor RAM, each one will say a different amount of RAM is free (for example, I'm using Xian v1 @960Mhz, and when Advanced Task Killer says I have ~40MB of free RAM, OS Monitor says I have ~66MB of free RAM).

In fact, usually a ROM will appear faster and score higher on benchmarks, even though the memory usage is lower. Android has a built-in task killer that starts killing tasks when it is "low on memory" (koud's post is the reason I put this in quotes). By default, "less important" apps (like apps running in the background or apps that don't have active processes) are killed first; if the auto task killer starts killing foreground apps, that's a sign something's gone terribly wrong (by default, it kills foreground apps when there is 8MB free RAM). Root apps and ROM cookers can change the auto killer settings for different app types: usually the settings for foreground and visible apps are left unchanged, while the settings for hidden apps and background apps are increased. In some annoying cases, these custom settings are reset every time you reboot the phone (like with Xian v1, which sets overly aggressive settings for hidden apps IMO), so if you want to set these values yourself, you have to do so every time you reboot your phone.

The reason I brought this up is because there is one type of hidden app that is frequently used to "measure" a ROM's speed: the home launcher. If your auto task killer settings for Hidden Apps is set too high (like 64MB, the default setting for Xian v1 IIRC), Android will kill your home launcher every time you enter a fullscreen app. This might cause an increase in free memory, but it makes phone seem sluggish because every time you enter an app and then exit, the home launcher has to reload itself into the memory of the device, causing a 5-15 second delay, depending on how many widgets you have on your homescreen(s).

While we're talking about the auto killer, what are XianKoud's auto killer values? And do they reset every time you boot or are they only set at first boot? Oh, and how easy would it be to make XianKoud compatible with the newest Phhroyo kernel (the one that has partial camera functionality)?

Edited by Delnar_Ersike

Guest koudelka
While we're talking about the auto killer, what are XianKoud's auto killer values? And do they reset every time you boot or are they only set at first boot? Oh, and how easy would it be to make XianKoud compatible with the newest Phhroyo kernel (the one that has partial camera functionality)?

I dont know about the autokill values, but I believe they are default ones (you have to ask Xian for that :D). This rom should be compatible with latest phhroyo kernel, but that wont make the camera work. The camera problem lays in system libs, which we have not got compatible with cyanogen yet because they have also made changes to camera.

Guest Delnar_Ersike

This might sound trivial, but if Titanium Backup is included with the ROM, could you update the apk? The newest version of Titanium Backup somewhat supports restoring Eclair backups in Froyo, which would solve a lot of the problems people have with restoring backups. I know people can just download the update from the marketplace, but it's kind of a hassle. :D

EDIT: Oh, and what is the auto task killer value for hidden apps? And do the values reset on boot or can I change them and they'll stay changed even after boot?

Edited by Delnar_Ersike

Guest xian1243

Xian LiquidF v1 release soon (I'm skipping the alpha releases for this ROM, as a lot of progress has been made, and I am now compiling by myself now, I myself will be maintaining this ROM).

Changelog: WiFi fix, new boot splash (thanks simoneser and xau!), radio moved to /system (no more system data on /cache!), new (?) proprietary libs (GPS, OpenGL, liboemcamera), latest CyanogenMod build (built august 14th 12PM), updated apps (new Google Voice Search, Chrome to Phone, Superuser v2.3, tethering settings-> working on enabling them), fixed ramzswap (activate in cyanogenmod settings)... changed radio settings for battery savings...

CAMERA WORKING! :D Thanks to phhusson, so give him a big thanks!

I'm still working on tethering, and I probably won't have everything done for tonight, but check back tomorrow.

Xian

Edited by xian1243

Guest simoneser
Xian LiquidF v1 release soon (I'm skipping the alpha releases for this ROM, as a lot of progress has been made, and I am now compiling by myself now, I myself will be maintaining this ROM).

Changelog: WiFi fix, new boot splash (thanks simoneser and xau!), radio moved to /system (no more system data on /cache!), new (?) proprietary libs (GPS, OpenGL, liboemcamera), latest CyanogenMod build (built august 14th 12PM), updated apps (new Google Voice Search, Chrome to Phone, Superuser v2.3, tethering settings-> working on enabling them), fixed ramzswap (activate in cyanogenmod settings)... changed radio settings for battery savings...

CAMERA WORKING! :D Thanks to phhusson, so give him a big thanks!

I'm still working on tethering, and I probably won't have everything done for tonight, but check back tomorrow.

Xian

Camera does green previews?

Videocamera is working?

Guest xian1243

I don't drink beer, but I do drink orange juice ;) -> My donate link

And phhusson deserves a drink too :D -> Phhusson's donate link

Phhusson has done wonderful on the camera drivers; without his reverse engineering, we wouldn't have camera on Froyo at all. He worked day and night on the camera driver, and also worked day and night to get to the ROM to this point! Cyanogen has brought many improvements to android, but a lot of the stuff was broken on the Liquid!

He's working on the memory problem, and dev's are working on the LEDs, android wasn't designed for more than one LED.

The camera is a bit quirky, and the camcorder is not functional, but you can take pictures (same green preview as in FRF91), and again, it's phhusson's camera driver that made it possible (CyanogenMod doesn't seem to like phhusson's work though :D, it wanted a REAL FIGHT! I won :D )

Enjoy the ROM :D

Edited by xian1243

Guest Delnar_Ersike

It might be better to ask in the Phhroyo thread, but when you say "camera works, camcorder doesn't", would a third-party app that uses the camera (say, an app that turns your phone's camera into your computer's webcam) work, as long as it doesn't depend on the camcorder app itself?

Guest vikings123
I haven't tested 3rd party apps, they may or not work, the problem is mostly driver related (we don't have Acer's camera driver!!)

Dear Xian,

I thought you left us. Apparently, you are still around.

Thank you, thank you......

Guest djinferno806
512mb of RAM available or still missing 30%?

im crossing my fingers hoping that v1 will have this fix. Currently this is the only reason Im not using this rom daily.

Regardless, its a fantastic rom and xian and koud deserve a big round of applause.